Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo Carnosaurs have 75 speed, and the Blessed Carnosaur has a 100. That's goddamn terrifying.

The blessed units have different stats? I made one or two of them but after I saw they don't get the free ranks that the others get I stopped using them. I was making rank 7 saurus pretty quick into my lizardman campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Blessed saurus warriors and stegodons come with unlimited vigor, they will always be fresh killing machines.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's in Australia in Warhammer?

The most horrific and debased creatures in all the world, High Elves!

But yea, Elithis is only mentioned as an Asur colony.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

My guess is that CA is going to cop out with the third game slightly, and the third game campaign is going to be about Daemons invading the world/Chaos properly loving the world up (End Times/Storm of Chaos yadda yadda), so they'll have parts of Cathay on the map, but they'll be owned by Skaven or Norse or something like that.

I'd be cool with that, if the big thing with the third game is big chaos invasion AND Nagash, since his lands would be featured in the supposed map for the third game.

That'd be cool, but I'd really like to see their take on those three factions.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 6, 2017

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

MadJackMcJack posted:

The most horrific and debased creatures in all the world, High Elves!

But yea, Elithis is only mentioned as an Asur colony.

Basically any country that isn't otherwise accounted for can be chalked up as being a High Elf colony of sorts. Any country that can be accounted for used to be one.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I am very curious to see how they handle the third game, or guess more how they handle the four starting factions. Know they're not tied to the concept, but guessing for time and money reasons they'll try to trim it to four.

Do they go with four different armies of chaos, each representing their respective god? Do Daemons get lumped into a single faction and come alongside Chaos Dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms? Do they include Nagash and his faction of super undead since he is the other big bad of the series? Will "the good guys" of the third game end up being a bunch of Ogres that worship a giant hungry meteorite? Do we get wild card Cathay?

Dunno, in the mean time I'll enjoy what we've got right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Skaven are so good, god drat. What meta-armies do they have in general besides 'tarpit and catapults', because I'll probably end up playing them two or three times.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Something about this game gives me a big bummer in a way TW1 didn't. The lack of personality in the lords, or the generic elf armies/lovely slow boring lizards/rad as gently caress & way OP rats...a campaign map that feels bereft of flow, a stupid and pointless ritual gimmick that barely works, some flat out AI regressions and peculiar design choices...a bland and featureless UI...Boring and repetitive battles because 3 of the 4 factions play almost identically, and the AI still can't put up a fight!

I dunno. I haven't played any campaign past like turn 120 because of how rote and purposeless it rapidly becomes. It feels like a lot of the flavor and variety was left out of the game in favor of a rapid turn-around.

I'm mega-skeptical on doling out money for DLC for this game when I auto-bought all of it for TW1.

It is not a bad game. It's just boring, which may be worse.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ammanas posted:

It is not a bad game. It's just boring, which may be worse.

Just like your posts

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I blame the elves. We got too many elves.

Also Vortex campaign is bad and I'm gonna wait for Mortal Empires before I play more because hoooooo boy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's just me, I don't have as good a feel for fantasy fluff as 40K, but I kind of feel like CA has used all the factions strong enough to carry their own game already.

Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, Cathay, etc. would all be good DLC content but I don't see any cool synergy or natural rivalries there. Doing the 4 Chaos factions is a neat idea but wouldn't that get samey as hell? Lots of unit variety to explore sure but none of them really build their own cities or make much use of diplomacy - imagine a game where all 4 campaigns are just Chaos from TWW1. Nagash might have some potential but I don't know what's left for him after both Vamps and Tomb Kings scrape that barrel clean.

The only thing I can imagine for TWW3 is bringing back all the old factions, reinventing some as necessary to remain competitive, and throwing them into a big End Times scenario.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

The only thing I can imagine for TWW3 is bringing back all the old factions, reinventing some as necessary to remain competitive, and throwing them into a big End Times scenario.
noooo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

you know which faction is strong enough to carry their own game?

that's right

the balls will touch

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Maybe it's just me, I don't have as good a feel for fantasy fluff as 40K, but I kind of feel like CA has used all the factions strong enough to carry their own game already.

Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, Cathay, etc. would all be good DLC content but I don't see any cool synergy or natural rivalries there. Doing the 4 Chaos factions is a neat idea but wouldn't that get samey as hell? Lots of unit variety to explore sure but none of them really build their own cities or make much use of diplomacy - imagine a game where all 4 campaigns are just Chaos from TWW1. Nagash might have some potential but I don't know what's left for him after both Vamps and Tomb Kings scrape that barrel clean.

Will you feel justified in spending another $60 on a sequel smoothie that doesn't really add much new? I think CA took their shot at that with TW2, I hope it sells well but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't match TW1.

I don't think people calling it an expansion are right but it certainly doesn't feel like a full game with a lot of depth, unlike TW1. Something is just missing.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Norsca's base unit list is still Marauders and some cross over monsters from Chaos/Beastmen. With that in mind, Nagash leading a faction of "the best of" Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts (plus as mentioned while back, his own super undead units that are exclusive to him) would probably be enough to make them feel unique/fun.

Ends Times was at first pretty cool when it was just Nagash loving poo poo up. If we just focused on that 1/5th of End Times, it could be good :v:

I want to say End Times got dumb when Chaos got involved in the second book, and it went utterly crap with the third book onward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Ends Times was at first pretty cool when it was just Nagash loving poo poo up. If we just focused on that 1/5th of End Times, it could be good :v:

I want to say End Times got dumb when Chaos got involved in the second book, and it went utterly crap with the third book onward.

The original reaction was literally 'Thank loving christ Chaos isn't the villain for once, Chaos sucks.'

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd be curious for a Sigmarine army as a test-case for Total Warhammer 40,000 since they're just Space Marine re-skins. :v:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

You can invent synergy enough to sell a game though. Just as an example, if they wanted to do Chaos Dwarves, Ogres, a big reinvention of Chaos and then as a wildcard 4th option let's go with Cathay they could play up the heavier weapons and monsters each of those factions would be bringing to the table.

Just imagine an initial reveal trailer similar to the one for 2. It could have an Empire army forming up against an oncoming Chaos force with a bunch more demons than have been in the game at this point, Great Unclean Ones, Bloodthirsters etc. Then suddenly, a shitload of Ogres charge into the chaos flanks, some hanging back and shooting cannons as hand weapons, maybe some of their more weird looking beasts being corralled into the attack as well. Then a bunch of screaming, demonic, indiscriminate artillery fire destroys entire regiments of humans, ogres and chaos alike, camera pans over to reveal a Chaos Dwarf sorcerer with a massive hat standing next to one of those crazy huge cannon train things they have and smirking, bunch of their weird bull demons and giants in armour around him. Empire army starts to break, show their leader looking up into the sky and a weird draconic screech sounds out, show a silhouette of a loving badass looking chinese style dragon flying over the battlefield.

Then they tease out the info for each faction just like they did with 2, at this point I trust that the can come up with some interesting stuff so all they have to do is sell it in a cool trailer and then make the factions look fun to play and that'd probably be enough.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think there are big weaknesses in at least the High Elf campaign. Spearmen and Bows are both VERY cost efficient but very reliable to the point where it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade for anything beyond Lothern Sea Guard. And you are so limited by upkeep this game. If you had more money to play around with you could actually work those cool late game units into your army. Though even then, without ap, archers that can blot out the skys are just really good. Dark Elves kind of have the same issue with their ranged being so good it over shadows the big stompy monsters.

Lizardmen are great fun especially the more dinos you add and they actually have a good economy so you're not just using skinks the entire game. And Skaven are Skaven and great. So those races are both fine. I don't really know what could be done to fix the flow of the dark elf and high elf campaigns though.

As for the AI I really like it, aside from blobbing up on the tactical map. I like that it's more suicidally aggressive, doesn't just run away like a little poo poo, and actually wants to fight you outside of stomps in it's favor. :shrug:

Siege battles are the albatross around this series neck though, they are criminally unfun and need custom maps to be remotely enjoyable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just think Vortex is a bad campaign. It hugely encourages turtling, and interacting directly with the mechanics can be brutally unfun if the dice are rolled wrong on where/when poo poo spawns. The final battle is also extremely bad and easy.

Like yeah the TW1 campaign goals were basically "conquer these specific provinces" but they were usually lore-appropriate and at least it forced you to interact with the world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If they're making poo poo up make up some snakemen

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

For the record I don't actually want this, my point is I just don't see a TWW3 being worthwhile. I think 2 is fantastic and would be a perfect place to end the series, but haven't they already said it's a trilogy?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
in # 3, the world is invaded . . . . FROM SPACE

They just need that 40k license

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

3 should absolutely lean heavily into Cathay/Nippon/Ind and basically be total war fantasy shogun

I actually want an End Times campaign for the third game too. A lot of the new units were awesome, supercharged LLs from the first games would be neat, and most importantly, in a Total War Warhammer: End Times campaign, chaos can actually lose

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn726f9QEP4

I have no idea what this is. Shadilay?

Short version: Memes.

Slightly longer version: There was an italian disco band named P.E.P.E. in the 80's, and their single Shadilay had a green frog holding a magic wand as the album artwork. As you can guess, 4chan went loving nuts over it when they found out.

Tenzarin posted:

The blessed units have different stats? I made one or two of them but after I saw they don't get the free ranks that the others get I stopped using them. I was making rank 7 saurus pretty quick into my lizardman campaign.

All blessed spawns have some kind of improvement over the regular variant. Some are more powerful than others. Blessed Saurus Warriors are loving crazy, they have perfect vigour and a sizeable increase in armor-piercing damage compared to the normal ones. Blessed Temple Guard IIRC have extra armor and double the charge bonus. Blessed Teradons are stupidly fast.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm starting to suspect there is a bug with Tyrion's AI hacks.

I know they get huge bonuses, but the dude is sitting on 4 stacks at turn 30 and can poo poo out a full stack in 3 turns.

On Normal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Someone in the previous thread had the same issue and solved it by disabling all the camera options during end-of-turn.

This seems to have worked

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I actually want an End Times campaign for the third game too. A lot of the new units were awesome, supercharged LLs from the first games would be neat, and most importantly, in a Total War Warhammer: End Times campaign, chaos can actually lose

I'd prefer a campaign Chaos is meant to win, that is a severe challenge to withstand. A survival campaign.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Once you realize there isn't a actual threat of the AI winning the vortex race, it just becomes optional missions you can start that boost your income and recruitment for a bit and gives you some armies to kill that may or may not spawn directly inside your undefended heartland if you went wide.

It sorta takes away the agency they were going for if the threat of the AI beating you in the race is just superficial.

Hoping the combined map campaign with updated norscans and orcs/dwarves that aren't missing random parts of their roster will be more fun.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If they're making poo poo up make up some snakemen

I'm loving in, revamp Not India with Not Nagas.

The ogres with their crazy rear end god have to happen though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

This engagement/pursuit bug is getting frustrating, and it's making what I assume to be an intentional change in how routed/shattered units can occasionally fight back even more of a pain in the rear end when the units that're supposed to be slaughtering them are instead getting damaged and even killed by their targets.

I just had a unit of clanrats and stormvermin surrounding a broken unit of enemy clanrats. I left them to it for 45 seconds or so, checked back, and my own 90% hp rats had been butchered down to ~5% by the routers, who were stuck in between my guys and had hardly taken any more casualties. Pretty ridiculous.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like the sea treasure gold rewards should be reduced by half until turn 50-70, getting a skull island on turn 2 for 10k gold is a bit of a huge boost.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really get why they included such a powerful get out of loss free card with the ability to jump into the final battle to 3v1 someone to death and lock them out of winning ever. The Vortex should be a doom clock that you're constantly planning around how to get ahead(and handicap your enemies), not something that you completely ignore for the entire game with no repercussions. If you actually had to worry about keeping up in the race and had to go and smack down your rivals to get ahead the campaign would be really cool.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

I don't really get why they included such a powerful get out of loss free card with the ability to jump into the final battle to 3v1 someone to death and lock them out of winning ever. The Vortex should be a doom clock that you're constantly planning around how to get ahead(and handicap your enemies), not something that you completely ignore for the entire game with no repercussions. If you actually had to worry about keeping up in the race and had to go and smack down your rivals to get ahead the campaign would be really cool.

Although to allow you to do so you'd probably need to afford more units which is hard to do with the upkeep penalties without cheesing stacking bonuses on high income territories.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah, agreed. Once I read that here I kind of deflated a bit. I had some fun times planning an invasion of Ulthuan to stop a ritual and then immediately booking it across the seas to smash Mazdamundi's attempt to do the same, all while trying to stave off my own intervention stacks.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Have been playing as Big Frog with radious on very hard.

Stuff:

-AI instantly does intervention during even the first ritual.
-Holy poo poo there are much more stacks. I attacked Sildra Tor, and Morathi was allied with them and send a total of 6 stacks against me, even temporarily taking 2 underdefended settlements.
-My new world colonists got reduced to one province by the Wild Orks, and can (after I encouraged them to take some Dark Elf provinces) still field 2 stacks.
-Massive harassment from Ulthuan (should have waited for someone else to do the ritual) and Malekith actually makes me turtle in my 4,5ish regions.
-I am kind of rooting for Clan Pestilens to beat up Teclis who also declared war on me
-Elfs tend to kill my "find Kroq Gar coolfrog to get some trade going" lone Sauri, and also my "hunt for the skull reefs" lone Sauri. Jerks!
-Javelin Skinks are pretty solid wall defenders if your oldblood has the 3 Skink skills, and become actually decent melee infantry if they have gold chevrons and your oldblood has the "elite skink veterans" skill.
-AI seems to be a bit better. There is still blobbing, but less so and you have to make them blob by herding them.

I can field 3 stacks and still build up.
I hope to get enough money for rite of many Dino friends to bum rush Teclis with that and my southern stack.

I actually like this more. Far more stack vs stack battles of legit size. Not quite sure how much of this is very hard and how much of this is radious.

Btw: Did you know you can give targets to your towers during a siege by just clicking on them? Really important if you have that level 1 settlement and there is one siege tower with silver chevron witchelfs, and the other one with lame darkspears.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

Btw: Did you know you can give targets to your towers during a siege by just clicking on them? Really important if you have that level 1 settlement and there is one siege tower with silver chevron witchelfs, and the other one with lame darkspears.
I did, but I also don't think I've ever brought down a tower even focus-firing it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So due to this thread saying Load Times for Total Warhammer were massively improved by getting an ssd. I got an ssd. Now I have no idea what to do with it or how to set it up or anything.

Can any of you tell me how or direct me to some place that will tell me how to get all this set up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

I did, but I also don't think I've ever brought down a tower even focus-firing it.

You need to start shooting at them pretty quick, two towers firing will kill a siege tower. Problem is that the advancing tower usually won't spend a lot of time in range of two, so focus as soon as the battle begins. It's luck-of-the-draw with how the AI places its towers that determines how many you can kill, really.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Magni posted:

Short version: Memes.

Slightly longer version: There was an italian disco band named P.E.P.E. in the 80's, and their single Shadilay had a green frog holding a magic wand as the album artwork. As you can guess, 4chan went loving nuts over it when they found out.

Ah... that makes more sense. Not much more, but more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is it just me or is magic WAY too powerful now? Like, the amount of damage a caster can unload is just obscene.