Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Since it's going to save another goon in here hundreds of dollars - if anyone in here is thinking about buying a television and is active duty, a veteran, or knows someone who is whom you'd trust with a lot of your money, you really need to check out the Military Exchange Service/AAFES' website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have an LG 2016 OLED, is there a difference in any of the HDMI inputs? I'm making sure my Apple TV / Computer are hooked up to the "best" inputs.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have an LG 2016 OLED, is there a difference in any of the HDMI inputs? I'm making sure my Apple TV / Computer are hooked up to the "best" inputs.

All inputs are the same except HDMI2 has ARC if I recall correctly. The only thing to be mindful of is turning the input to PC mode for 4:4:4 Chroma.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since it's going to save another goon in here hundreds of dollars - if anyone in here is thinking about buying a television and is active duty, a veteran, or knows someone who is whom you'd trust with a lot of your money, you really need to check out the Military Exchange Service/AAFES' website.

Aafes opens to veterans and family in November!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anti-Hero posted:

All inputs are the same except HDMI2 has ARC if I recall correctly. The only thing to be mindful of is turning the input to PC mode for 4:4:4 Chroma.

That's one reason I got dual HDMI out on my receiver. One input for my movie watching, the other for PC mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OLED burn in is a thing it seems, but it's hard to nail down. Yellow, orange, and red seem to be the biggest offending colors. White isn't as much of an issue due to the dedicated white subpixel which doesn't have to be driven as hard as the LED behind the red filter (which is why yellow is affected as well.)

That said, it's hard to take people like this seriously. This is a verbatim comment. "I only watch 4 hours of cable news a night, they shouldn't burn in under this normal use case." If 4 hours of cable news a night is normal for you, more than your TV is damaged

I did stop playing Breath if the Wild on mine though. There was more than one report of the hearts leaving a lasting impression.

I also don't know what factor TV age plays. Mine has about 3500 hours on it now, so I don't know if the LED decay is linear, or if the curve isn't quite as steep with more hours.

Part of it might have to do with the compensation algorithms. There's a theory that a pass can only compensate to a point. So if you do an 8 hour session in one sitting with yellow HUD elements, it may be worse than 8 one hour play sessions with other content to allow a compensation cycle after each one.

500 hours seems to be the magic number for yellow/red elements being detectable in slides, but it's unclear if it's strictly the number of total hours with those elements or if the overall view time matters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don Lapre posted:

Aafes opens to veterans and family in November!

It's actually open to veterans now through VetVerify (or at the very least one can apply): https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

It can't really be understated how good their prices on televisions are.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 3, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's actually open to veterans now through VetVerify (or at the very least one can apply): https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

It can't really be understated how good their prices on televisions are.

Thanks. Seems they are doing a beta of some sort. Will get my wife to register.

Thanks registered. Still can't shop till nov11.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 3, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anti-Hero posted:

Where do you do this?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
I'm based in the UK. I need a good TV for movies. Don't care about SmartTV stuff as long as I can plug in a USB device at least, don't even really care about 4K (though I understand most will be 4K anyway). Just want best picture quality for my buck. Room is dark, viewing angle will always be absolutely straight on. Budget is £500.

Finding it absolutely impossible to find a good recommendation that is actually available here. We can't get TCLs, Vizios, or the some of the new Samsung MU range. Would loooove some pointers.

Edit: der, forgot to mention, looking for size around 40" - 43".

Edit2: RTings recommends the Samsung MU6300, which isn't available here. However, the MU6400 is available, but isn't rated on RTings - anyone know what the difference is, if any? Is the 6400 just the EU version of the 6400?

Anae fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 4, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where do you do this?

In the menu where you select the active input there is an option to change the input's label. Switch to PC.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Fry's has a sale right now on the LG 65E7P for $2400, but you have buy the $400 2 year warranty as well. Even after the warranty the price was around $3100 (after tax). I hadn't seen a deal like that on the 2017s so I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from a Samsung UN46C6300 (46" LED from 2010). The picture quality is INSANE.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Can you return the warranty?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Anae posted:

I'm based in the UK. I need a good TV for movies. Don't care about SmartTV stuff as long as I can plug in a USB device at least, don't even really care about 4K (though I understand most will be 4K anyway). Just want best picture quality for my buck. Room is dark, viewing angle will always be absolutely straight on. Budget is £500.

Finding it absolutely impossible to find a good recommendation that is actually available here. We can't get TCLs, Vizios, or the some of the new Samsung MU range. Would loooove some pointers.

Edit: der, forgot to mention, looking for size around 40" - 43".

Edit2: RTings recommends the Samsung MU6300, which isn't available here. However, the MU6400 is available, but isn't rated on RTings - anyone know what the difference is, if any? Is the 6400 just the EU version of the 6400?

If the Samsungs don't work out, you might try looking for a 43" Sony X800D. It's last year's model, but it tends to get pretty good reviews.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

Can you return the warranty?

I dunno, but I was thinking about trying that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is probably outside the scope of this thread but I thought I'd check here since googling specific terms makes it really hard to come up with an answer.

I've got an LGB6 and a fairly old Denon 1911 that I've been using together with the Denon functioning as an HDMI switcher for some time now and it's worked fine, but today I randomly decided to try and get an ARC solution working to make my life easier. I've got the basic setup working just fine, but for some reason the audio fed from the TV to the receiver refuses to use a Dolby Digital signal when available, and I'm stuck using ProLogic II or NEO:DTS surround settings on my receiver when previously with the device plugged directly into the receiver it would switch automatically. I've got the ARC input settings on my receiver set to auto decode, which I believe is the correct setting. However, under the ARC sound settings on the LG, the output is locked into PCM (greyed out). Everything I've read seems to indicate that even though the receiver is older it should still be capable of accepting a 5.1 signal over an HDMI ARC connection, but currently the TV won't allow me to change the output.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just to double check, how old is your HDMI cable? Is it Certified Premium?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know you all hate me and the soap opera effect but help me out here. I know the Vizio M comes recommended, rtings says it doesn't have motion interpolation. It does have "clear action" or some poo poo and I know it's all marketing jargon but can that produce the soap opera effect at all?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Just to double check, how old is your HDMI cable? Is it Certified Premium?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187
During my testing I swapped out a bunch of different HDMIs on the ARC connection including the one that came with my Switch which I assumed was new enough. Next step is to get an optical cable that's actually long enough to connect and see if I can somehow finagle optical audio out with the same convenience of an ARC connection.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

codo27 posted:

I know you all hate me and the soap opera effect but help me out here. I know the Vizio M comes recommended, rtings says it doesn't have motion interpolation. It does have "clear action" or some poo poo and I know it's all marketing jargon but can that produce the soap opera effect at all?

Clear action makes the TV flicker like a movie projector. It is like the opposite of motion interpolation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also, I thought that the M series Vizios have true 120Hz tech while the E series do not.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Any thoughts on the TCL 55P607? Seems to strike a balance between nice and affordable but :shrug:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pliable posted:

Any thoughts on the TCL 55P607? Seems to strike a balance between nice and affordable but :shrug:

bull3964 posted:

Not at all, the X900E is one of this thread's recommended TVs. It just can be hard to justify the price compared to the budget options.

For a refresher, from least to most expensive. This is the 'goon list'.

TCL P605/7 (55" only)
Vizio 2017 M Series (really only if you want 65" since the TCL isn't in that size)
Sony X900E
Sony X930E
LG OLED

Otherwise, if you want the cheapest at pretty much any size point without getting garbage, buy a Vizio E series.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Also, I thought that the M series Vizios have true 120Hz tech while the E series do not.

Last year's does. Not this year's

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That said, they still apparently offer correct reproduction of 24p material. Since they can do that, 120hz seems unnecessary.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Has any tv ever supported a 120hz input or is it just internal to display 24p content?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No. It's not even currently possible at 4k until HDMI 2.1. HDMI 1.3 and 1.4b could do it at 1080p, but I don't know of any TV that supported it. 120hz has always been used as either a common refresh rate that supports 24/30/60 fps or for motion interpolation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You are correct about 4K120 but there are definitely a few TVs out there that will take a 1080p120 input and handle it correctly.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Sort by the 1080p@120 column, you'll see the 2017 Visio P series, the LG C7 (not sure if this means just the C7 or all 2017 LG OLEDs), and a bunch of Sonys.

There's also an older model Sony which was known to support 1080p120. I think it was X850D maybe?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok then, still though, there's not much practical use for it. PC gaming is the only place that comes to mind and without any sort of adaptive refresh, it's likely not going to be a pleasant experience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ang Lee scurries to make a movie only 9 people can watch properly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of motion interpolation, James Gunn is recruiting other industry types to try to influence TV makers to either eliminate it or at the very least turn it off by default.

https://gizmodo.com/james-gunn-and-other-top-directors-call-on-tv-makers-to-1819226242

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

Ok then, still though, there's not much practical use for it. PC gaming is the only place that comes to mind and without any sort of adaptive refresh, it's likely not going to be a pleasant experience.

That's what I was thinking. At 1080p with a good setup you could probably drive a lot of games at 120 without any frame rate dips.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Can't wait for Gaming mode VRR, even if it means buying an AMD card to drive it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Current TV manufacturers can't even get reverse telecine right, good luck on VRR.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Thank you, sir. Cool beans!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cobalt Viper posted:

This is probably outside the scope of this thread but I thought I'd check here since googling specific terms makes it really hard to come up with an answer.

I've got an LGB6 and a fairly old Denon 1911 that I've been using together with the Denon functioning as an HDMI switcher for some time now and it's worked fine, but today I randomly decided to try and get an ARC solution working to make my life easier. I've got the basic setup working just fine, but for some reason the audio fed from the TV to the receiver refuses to use a Dolby Digital signal when available, and I'm stuck using ProLogic II or NEO:DTS surround settings on my receiver when previously with the device plugged directly into the receiver it would switch automatically. I've got the ARC input settings on my receiver set to auto decode, which I believe is the correct setting. However, under the ARC sound settings on the LG, the output is locked into PCM (greyed out). Everything I've read seems to indicate that even though the receiver is older it should still be capable of accepting a 5.1 signal over an HDMI ARC connection, but currently the TV won't allow me to change the output.

Update on this just in case someone encounters a similar problem:

After trying a brand new HDMI cable and an optical cable, the problem still persisted, which lead me to believe it was a TV issue. The Digital Audio Out option was always greyed out and locked into PCM regardless of the connection. I tried a number of different things and nothing worked so I tried a complete reset of the TV settings and that somehow worked. Who knows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, obviously the primary use would be PC gaming on a TV. It'd probably also be possible for the 4K console variants to enable 1080p120 support in an update, but I'd put pretty slim odds on that happening.

I disagree that it'd be unpleasant without adaptive refresh though, mostly because I've been gaming on a 1080p144 panel running at 1080p120 (144 is not ideal for watching TV) for a few years now without adaptive refresh and it works great.

Adaptive refresh would of course be nice, I'll never argue against it, but it's definitely not necessary to enjoy the benefits of >60Hz refresh rates for gaming. Tearing isn't the worst thing in the world, especially at higher rates.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a new family room TV. 60-65"

Mostly going to watch rando Netflix, Cable TV junk and kids blu-rays. Must have decently accurate colors out of the box and some form of true 24hz mode. Not gonna dump a ton of money into this TV since my kids are still 2 and under. Wight is a factor too. I'm going to mount this thing pretty rigidly to studs but just for peace of mind I don't want 100lbs hanging where my children play.

Saw a Sony X690E 60" for $900 at Frys/BB yesterday that seemed OK.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 8, 2017

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Made a trip to Costco (PBUC) yesterday, and front and center at the entrance they had the LG B7 55 inch for $1799.

I'm not currently in the market for a new tv even though my current tv is coming up on 5 years old. It took a LOT of willpower to not buy it right then and there. If/when these things drop another couple hundred dollars, they will be impossible to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Costco only carries the 65" oled :(