Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we have postgres and mysql (and/or maria) (for legacy projects). ill investigate this then and write jetbrains support i guess if datagrip is misleading me on what i can do in a read-only connection

I guess it depends on what your explain is doing actually, normal selects are fine for read only but an explain will get rejected if it includes a "write" level command like insert/update/copy or granting user crap. I would've thought of this sooner but im terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

bob dobbs is dead posted:

does it still have the problem where if you go 2 inches out of the happy path everything goes to hell

e: serious question. last time i worked with that poo poo was in 2014

probably not as bad anymore but yeah. my workplace has a website that was started in ember but now it's an enterprisey spa thats supposed to support multiple different products w/ their own feature sets. thankfully i dont touch front end but the majority of our dev time is spent there because of the hacky rear end poo poo required to make everything work and work well.

only use ember if you can fit your backend to it imo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the thing I hate the most about c and its offspring is the soup of______ident__someotherthing___ Foo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

aaaaaaa i got it working i can write a pointer to an amiga-style linked list to the jaguar GPU and it will process each node and blit a sprite, so far it can do 60 8bpp sprites at 60fps no problem :pcgaming:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Master Stur posted:

I guess it depends on what your explain is doing actually, normal selects are fine for read only but an explain will get rejected if it includes a "write" level command like insert/update/copy or granting user crap. I would've thought of this sooner but im terrible

explain select

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

jony neuemonic posted:

long as we're dorking out on c++ what are people's thoughts on vcpkg? i set it up last night to grab sdl and catch, seems to do what it says on the tin well enough.

It has some nice features (ie you can install different version of libs at the same time), but since it is Windows only...

Also asking for older version of dependencies is kinda awkward.

e: Dat new stupid newbie avatar

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really kinda don't like Elixir. I wish I'd started on Erlang; I only chose elixir because I wanted a more batteries-included web framework like Phoenix to work with for this project.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I just did

code:
# hours of work on poo.rs
git add poo.rs
git commit poo.rs
# wait what is this other file, poop.rs doing here? Maybe I typo'd it
git mv poop.rs poo.rs
git commit --amend
# wait crap, poop.rs was supposed to be there and I just overwrote poo.rs
Am I hosed? Is poo.rs gone for good? Or can like reflog or something save me?

edit: git reflog --all to the rescue! I found the commit I wanted, then did a git reset --hard <id> and it worked. So, nevermind I guess

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 12, 2017

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

akadajet posted:

it's 2017, why are you using knockoutjs?

bad reasons

knockout was the closest thing to an ms-approved front end thing in like 2013 or 2014. our cto is very very reluctant to use pretty much anything from the outside world, and we have to get every single external dependency (loving everything - software, libraries, tools, web apps) personally approved by him. he chose knockout as the thing to use for a rewrite of a major component because of ms' implicit blessing

so we picked the only front end thing available to us

gently caress front end

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
because no one here can write software (myself obviously included), our front end things have turned into awful, unfriendly, unmaintainable wastes of time and goodwill

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LinYutang posted:

413: Butt too large

that isn't a real error message

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quiggy posted:

i get that it's valid c but it's loving obnoxious that g++ won't even throw a warning for that one. i had a construct like this:

code:
for (const char* cp = str; *cp != '\0'; ++cp) { }
which is a perfectly valid way of iterating through a c-string right up until you gently caress up and forget to dereference cp in the ending conditional and the whole thing blows up

just use std::string

string str;
for( auto c : str ) {}

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MononcQc posted:

I don't want any idiot to be bringing back the equivalent of java applets either

There's just something about the old days of only being able to snipe back at someone by writing it on your own home page and having no comment section anywhere otherwise, and just getting to read pages here and there.

Oh also don't bring frames back either.

well yeah, comment forms and presenting visitor comments with practically the same importance as the site's own content is cancer. it's not such a big problem on joe schmoe's cooking and car tuning blog, but it is when major news sites let nazis post their vile garbage with little or no moderation next to their news due to "free speech" (actually because hateful messages make people angry and angry people will poste their own angry reactions and later return to the site to read reactions to their own sick burns and returning visits mean more ad impressions! capitalism ftw)

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ctps: im looking at a 4000 line Java file

i did not write this and im tempted to just delete this entire repo from our local git

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ctps: im looking at a 4000 line Java file

i did not write this and im tempted to just delete this entire repo from our local git

i can send you a substitute, 4000 line sql file with line width exceeding monitor

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well i can't tbf but you get jt

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

update: i have found a 3000 line file that is essentially just logging

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

update: i have found a 3000 line file that is essentially just logging

primo un/post combo

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quiggy posted:

i get that it's valid c but it's loving obnoxious that g++ won't even throw a warning for that one. i had a construct like this:

code:
for (const char* cp = str; *cp != '\0'; ++cp) { }
which is a perfectly valid way of iterating through a c-string right up until you gently caress up and forget to dereference cp in the ending conditional and the whole thing blows up

why would you not do:

code:
const size_t slen = strlen(str);
for(int i=0; i <slen; i++) { }

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

fritz posted:

why would you not do:

code:

iterating the string twice? gross

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

i am once again rebuilding opencv from source because i forgot to include the path to the 3rd-party modules last time 2 months ago, whoops!

opencv's surprisingly got a not-horrible build process (at work our setup means that we rebuild our third party dependencies all the loving time, opencv's one of them, this has been bad enough but now we're supposed to bring tensorflow into that process and oh god that's gonna suck)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackbunny posted:

iterating the string twice? gross

the library call can be vectorized

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

redleader posted:

bad reasons

knockout was the closest thing to an ms-approved front end thing in like 2013 or 2014. our cto is very very reluctant to use pretty much anything from the outside world, and we have to get every single external dependency (loving everything - software, libraries, tools, web apps) personally approved by him. he chose knockout as the thing to use for a rewrite of a major component because of ms' implicit blessing

so we picked the only front end thing available to us

gently caress front end

jesus christ try to find a better job

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

man, imagine having shaggar as your cto

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you'd have the best technology and nobody would have to write javascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what's the good, the bad, and the ugly about microsoft sql server 2016/2017? wouldn't mind a brief rundown, or a link to a decent one. of a specific interest, i guess, t-sql if there is something special about it (compared to postgre or mysql), and all the analytical bells and whistles - siss, sass, whatever the gently caress is olap cube, r and python integration through procedures, interoperability of sql server with various visualisation poo poo/external data sources

also a few words about mdx, linq, and other like 6 query languages in it would be nice too.

basically, one of the two db-related devs at my job has completed his project and is now proposing mssql for centralised data store. while it deffo will do the trick for a while for us, in terms of amounts and capabilities, msdn is too nice looking and too verbose to find all the rocks worth stubbing toes again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

man, imagine having shaggar as your cto

i wouldn't mind tbf as long as we can avoid talking about public transportation at work

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zlodo posted:

just use std::string

string str;
for( auto c : str ) {}

i work in a c++03 hellworld, we don't have your fancy for-each loops (or auto, for that matter)

fritz posted:

why would you not do:

code:

i could do this in theory, but i need this to be as fast and lightweight as possible so i don't want to double-iterate the string if possible. also just as personal preference i usually try to avoid the default c-string manipulation methods because they're all full of demons and poo poo that i don't understand that will explode if i'm not careful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
once your company gets to the point where it can afford to buy software, SQL Server is probably the first purchase you should make if data is important to your business.

the db is the best, the tools are the best, and the addons like SSIS and SSRS that come with it are so good (esp SSIS).

The only downside to sql server I can think of compared to MySQL/PostgreSQL is that sql server licensing can be confusing and it costs money.

The one gotcha I can think of is that sql server has pretty sane defaults, except for its default memory limit. By default its set unlimited so sql server can and will starve your os and other applications of resources if you let it. Plan your resource sizing appropriately and set memory limits for your sql instances relative to available resources.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

once your company gets to the point where it can afford to buy software, SQL Server is probably the first purchase you should make if data is important to your business.

the db is the best, the tools are the best, and the addons like SSIS and SSRS that come with it are so good (esp SSIS).

The only downside to sql server I can think of compared to MySQL/PostgreSQL is that sql server licensing can be confusing and it costs money.

The one gotcha I can think of is that sql server has pretty sane defaults, except for its default memory limit. By default its set unlimited so sql server can and will starve your os and other applications of resources if you let it. Plan your resource sizing appropriately and set memory limits for your sql instances relative to available resources.

sql server is the largest operating expense at my job and they are always trying to figure out how to bring that cost down lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
good tools cost money and management trying to take them away is a good sign that your company is bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

On the other hand, trying to use both sql server and postgres at the same company is fuckin awful because of weird default collations and uggggggggh.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i only do java every couple of years, so i'm out of the loop. what's the current best way to get a unique, sorted list of strings?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that sounds fairly good, i guess? going to read up more on ssrs since that might be something relevant to my duties.

that's what im wondering about the most, how relevant are the extra bells and whistles that don't come with postgre

silvergoose posted:

On the other hand, trying to use both sql server and postgres at the same company is fuckin awful because of weird default collations and uggggggggh.

we are going to migrate everything to sql server, i think. either way im neither dev nor ops :smug:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ssrs is poop from a butt

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

prefect posted:

i only do java every couple of years, so i'm out of the loop. what's the current best way to get a unique, sorted list of strings?

It's probably a tie between adding them all to a TreeSet and using stream().ordered().distinct(), with the latter having a slight edge because you can do other stream stuff in the process.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that sounds fairly good, i guess? going to read up more on ssrs since that might be something relevant to my duties.

that's what im wondering about the most, how relevant are the extra bells and whistles that don't come with postgre

we are going to migrate everything to sql server, i think. either way im neither dev nor ops :smug:

SSIS is very very good. SSRS is serviceable

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CPColin posted:

stream().ordered().distinct()

.collect(Collectors.toList())

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CPColin posted:

It's probably a tie between adding them all to a TreeSet and using stream().ordered().distinct(), with the latter having a slight edge because you can do other stream stuff in the process.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

.collect(Collectors.toList())

thank you both. i will begin cobbling together something to do this :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's the good, the bad, and the ugly about microsoft sql server 2016/2017?

i was trying to run sharepoint in ~the cloud~ and there's some things you can't do with SQL Server in RDS (roles related: https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=111780)

you have to self host + janitor it if you wanna run sharepoint.

mine was a very dumb edge case so this probably isn't at all relevant

• Locked thread