Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Every time someone calls Agents of Mayhem AoM I die a little inside.

My soul;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mokinokaro posted:

A LOT of SR people were cut right after SR4's release and during the THQ meltdown for that. Nobody big left during AoM's development afaik.

SR's lead designer/writer, for instance, is now writing DOTA 2 cards for the new cardgame.

When did valve become the place where dreams go to die?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
When they decided to become the retirement home for game devs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mycot posted:

When they found out that platform-holding and microtransactions made them more money than God

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
holy poo poo, a star control sequel is getting made by the original designers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

But also by Stardock, so temper your expectations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

mycot posted:

I'd say it was probably September 30th, 2010.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Orv posted:

But also by Stardock, so temper your expectations.

nah, they're doing a prequel. it's the real dudes.

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

uber_stoat posted:

Also it'll look like poo poo if it follows the upcoming prequel's aesthetics, which if they are working with Stardock it is likely to.

Congratulations, you look worse than a 25 year old game. Still, tentatively excited the original guys are working on this one, so weird that Star Control 2 never got a sequel!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Congratulations, you look worse than a 25 year old game. Still, tentatively excited the original guys are working on this one, so weird that Star Control 2 never got a sequel!

I know, right? You'd think somebody would have made one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When did Bitcoins come to Steam?

e:April 2016

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 13, 2017

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Also it'll look like poo poo if it follows the upcoming prequel's aesthetics, which if they are working with Stardock it is likely to.

The game Ford and Reiche are working on is entirely separate from the game Stardock is making.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/11/star-control-ii-devs-finally-making-sequel/

C'mon guys, don't gently caress this up :pray:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Unepic straight up pissed me off. I felt tricked into buying it because of the reviews.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Reiche and Ford work for Activision, who apparently have given them the green light to make the game. they just licensed the Star Control name out for the Stardock game. and yowza it does look pretty bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Every time you play a bad stardock game, be thankful it doesnt fill the room with bees at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HGH posted:

I'd wager most of your microtransaction and lootbox purchases come from the majority who only buy two or three games a year and don't care or have the time to invest in them. But I'm just assuming stuff.

That is 100% how it works, there have been and are multi-day conferences about how to get the most out of free-to-play economies (step 1: Make it not free to play, apparently). Most of the first F2P games had what one would assume is the reasonable model, lots of small purchases for small amounts, cents even. Turns out that no matter how much the things you put in for money cost most of the same people are going to buy them and most of the same people aren't.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

Reiche and Ford work for Activision, who apparently have given them the green light to make the game. they just licensed the Star Control name out for the Stardock game. and yowza it does look pretty bad.
I hate to kill the joke, but does it look Star Control 3 bad?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
i like unepic! it has weird european humor that i'm not gonna defend, but i thought it was ok; it felt like a really polished DOS-era game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Unepic straight up pissed me off. I felt tricked into buying it because of the reviews.

make a pixel perfect jump or get warped back to the spawn point five minutes of screens and dozens of instant-death traps ago

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The White Dragon posted:

make a pixel perfect jump or get warped back to the spawn point five minutes of screens and dozens of instant-death traps ago

Apropos of nothing, someone in a slack channel linked your source code for your dragon game today and I was appropriately horrified

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Star Control 4: Clash of Ur-Quan Champions: Coming soon to iOS and Android!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tarezax posted:

Apropos of nothing, someone in a slack channel linked your source code for your dragon game today and I was appropriately horrified

in unity i had to cook my own camera class. it starts out actually kind of reasonable but then becomes the tower of trials pretty quickly. get ready for nightmare round 2 bby
https://pastebin.com/y1g6xRXW

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Unepic was so painfully unfunny that I couldn't finish it.
Ghost 1.0 was passable and I did finish it. The gameplay was grindy for the genre but I was okay with it. It's certainly no Hollow Knight or anything but if you really want another Metroidvania you could do worse.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Way back I heard Homefront: The Revolution wasn't actually that bad. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Looking at getting a tycoon game. Was thinking either Airport CEO or Prodcution Line ? Anyone have preference on either?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Not really Steam-related, but I just noticed that Mass Effect: Andromeda is already "coming soon" to the Origin Access "vault." I probably shouldn't be too surprised considering the reception and the fact that it had already been on sale for $20 USD before. I don't know whether it gets any better later on, but I wasn't very interested after that 10-hour trial.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Black Griffon posted:

Way back I heard Homefront: The Revolution wasn't actually that bad. Can anyone confirm or deny?

It's not too terrible. Slightly janky FarCry in an urban setting if that means anything. There's no "Press X to hide in pile of bodies" but there's still plenty of over the top "America gently caress Yeah!" and "God drat Norks" in it. The shooting is good and you get plenty of upgrades so your guns fulfill multiple roles. The Assault rifle doubles as your sniper rifle as one example. Upgrades show up on your gun model. The story is pretty rote and by the numbers though.

I got it when it was :10bux: and I feel like I got that much out entertainment out of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grog posted:

Not really Steam-related, but I just noticed that Mass Effect: Andromeda is already "coming soon" to the Origin Access "vault." I probably shouldn't be too surprised considering the reception and the fact that it had already been on sale for $20 USD before. I don't know whether it gets any better later on, but I wasn't very interested after that 10-hour trial.

Been playing through it myself lately and you probably won't find it much more interesting after that. It has the same flaw that most open world games have - at some point you're just doing the same thing over and over in a slightly different setting. Turns out making the stuff you're driving over look prettier doesn't solve the problem of the first Mass Effect's planetside driving and scanning being really boring. This also means that there's very long gaps between dialogues with your crew and such so I honestly found it much harder to get attached. Just goes to show you that as derided as ME2's design was at first glance (besides the lack of weapon/armor stuff) it was actually perfect for the kind of game Mass Effect was.

I still actually did like it overall and eventually did like most of the characters but those first 10 hours are definitely emblematic of the overall game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, being sandwiched literally a week between Battlefield and Call of Duty releases probably didn't help matters much there. I think it had much bigger marketing issues that no amount of exploitation could have solved.

This is one of the most tragically dumb things EA has done recently. They even own one half of that sandwich and they still decided to ruin the game's chances at success, which blows because drat titanfall 2 is great.

In spite of the game's small population I'm still having no problems finding frontier defense games so I'm gonna remind everyone with any interest to try titanfall 2 because the campaign is fantastic, frontier defense is a great co-op mode, and it's on origin access so you can get it for really cheap. Can't commend on the competitive MP since I haven't tried it but I can recommend it for everything else.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Some companies will look at that and go "oh, we need lootboxes" instead of "we need a really appealing, colorful cast and really tight, newbie-friendly mechanics" because one is really trivial and cheap to put in a game and the other is not.

I think at this point more companies are thinking "we need to make a game where 100 people parachute to an island"

Unless steamspy glitched out, PUBG has sold 2 million copies in the last 4 days. 16 million total now and still rising

Orv
May 4, 2011
100 Talions parachute onto an island comprised entirely of stormtroopers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Double Bill posted:

I think at this point more companies are thinking "we need to make a game where 100 people parachute to an island"

Haha, fair enough.

I'm more concerned about trends in monetization than gameplay, tho. Games I might not like getting popular isn't a huge deal. Games I like treating players like monetary squeezits is another story.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

It's dumb and super janky, but I enjoyed it. I'm also 100% sure the main character is literally mute and not just a silent protag because you never speak or motion that you're speaking through the entire game and it's really, really funny.
e: also the rain effects in that game are loving gorgeous.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Double Bill posted:

Unless steamspy glitched out, PUBG has sold 2 million copies in the last 4 days. 16 million total now and still rising

What the gently caress is happening? I feel like there was a satanic contract involved in this. Somebody's soul is going to get hosed.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ghost 1.0 is pretty good, what are you people talking about. I had zero expectations going into the game and I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the mechanics are.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Blattdorf posted:

Ghost 1.0 is pretty good, what are you people talking about. I had zero expectations going into the game and I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the mechanics are.

The default control scheme is a goddamned crime though. Who puts jump on Left Bumper/L1?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

code:
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 5)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 1;
                }
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 10 && xCurrentPos - xTruePos > 5)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 2;
                }
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 20 && xCurrentPos - xTruePos > 10)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 3;
                }
                if (xCurrentPos - xTruePos <= 30 && xCurrentPos - xTruePos > 20)
                {
                    xCurrentPos -= 4;
                }

You know you can do something like this:
code:
int diff = xCurrentPos - xTruePos;
xCurrentPos -= 2 + (diff - 1) / 10;
If you want some edge cases to behave a little different from that, make separate ifs for those, don't put the whole thing in a huge list of ifs. With some more adjustments like that the whole class could be reduced to at most 100 lines of code. The whole thing reads like something written by someone who taught themselves C# but never learned actual programming. Being able to program as opposed to knowing a programming language is an important skill if you want to work on a project larger than tiny. This sort of stuff is fine in your first programming assignment but it should not end up in production code.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if lazily glossing over minor algebra gets your panties in a bunch you probably shouldn't look at drgn.txt

Griefor posted:

The whole thing reads like something written by someone who taught themselves C# but never learned actual programming.

guessed it in one i failed 102 and declined to continue my employable cs education

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jesus that's savage