Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RatHat posted:

I don't think Tsukasa cares about technology itself, he just doesn't want to recreate the old world. So if he can still maintain his paradise with some technology he'd probably use it.

Nah I enjoy that he may be a massive hypocrite.
Good mirror to team technology's sincerity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Master Roshi of arts and crafts is insanely good and whoever described this series as a sports manga but for science and hobbies instead of sports was right on the money. I really liked the chapter about glasses it was really sweethearted. I'm also another person who's eyes got bad over the last few years and I didn't notice for ages I couldn't see things as clearly as everyone else could. I like the idea of Kinro just immediately being like "okay what do you need done" and I really hope he gets glasses and kicks Magma's rear end in the funniest power-up ever. I liked that Kohaku could have saved herself like she did the previous year if her dad wasn't such a poo poo.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chapter 30

Some powerful imagery in this one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is Senku death-flagging

because that sure as hell is some death flagging

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it's safe to say that the protagonist isn't gonna die here. the big takeaway imo is that senkuu somehow teaching everything he knows to chrome will allow them to function independently of one another

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is such a good manga. I thought Senku might have been exaggerating about the threat of death, but that will teach me to doubt Science.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wouldn't a good solution to the situation be a really long breathing tube? And you can test for holes by using it to breathe underwater.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wouldn't a good solution to the situation be a really long breathing tube? And you can test for holes by using it to breathe underwater.

H2S is an insta-knockout in one inhalation at certain concentrations (>0.1%) which is likely what they are dealing with here. Even this gas-mask idea is pretty dicey considering a very good seal with the face (usually custom fitted for modern industry work) is an essential part of a gas mask.

Interestingly, H2S is flammable at around 5% and that would consume a good deal of the gas. I'm not sure how concentrated it can get in this sort of environment though.

Chemicals are scary, there's a thread in pyf about nasty stuff like FOOF that's fun to read

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

There was a blog I used to read by some chemist called "Things I Won't Work With" where the writer talks about exotic poisonous, cancerous, explosive, or radioactive stuff. Sometimes all at the same time. I thought it was pretty interesting, and this comic reminded me of of the blog. Experimental chemists are a brave bunch.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Have you heard the good word of the dangerous chemistry thread?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
You know, something I really like about this series is that the super genius character isn't a massive douche. On the contrary, he loving loves what he's good at and he's super eager to see it help people and even happier when they engage in it. There's something so sweet and heartwarming every single time he teaches something about science to Chrome and is like "Yup. Kid is learning." I don't know why but I find it so sweet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As well he is not perfect with his science knowledge. He misses a few things. And even when he knows how to do somthing it's gennerally fairly hard to get everything going. Even when he made glass, he pointed out that he's not actually good at shaping it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's a lot that goes into making Senkuu likable, he's a great character.

I think what really makes him work is that he is completely, completely aware of how much he needs other people. His dream is to go into space, and it 10,000,000,000% doesn't matter how smart he is, it is straight-up impossible to do that on his own. Similarly, he doesn't attribute what he's doing here to himself--he isn't the person who invented the dynamo, or discovered the properties of sulfuric acid, or optic principles for making lenses. That's all the result of people contributing to the scientific process that he holds in such high esteem. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

He respects Chrome for how far he got working off of a basis of nothing, and for how he represents, to Senkuu, the fact that scientific curiosity is just an inherent part of humans. Even if Senkuu dies without accomplishing his goal, somebody will get there again one day, and that's what really matters. Tsukasa can only ever win in the short term.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i appreciate this story and it's attention to detail

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Tsukasa is not against science entirely. He just wants to start a new world from fresh. Using only the young. He just does not want Senku to create poo poo like guns and stuff that could threaten him and foil his plan, or else Senkuu will just bring everyone back like he wants to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well we havent got his manifesto beyond:
Old world is bad
Old people are bad
my world will be new
with new people

therefore it wont be bad

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Tsukasa is not against science entirely. He just wants to start a new world from fresh. Using only the young. He just does not want Senku to create poo poo like guns and stuff that could threaten him and foil his plan, or else Senkuu will just bring everyone back like he wants to.

For whatever reason the way you phrased it made me remember a Deep Space 9 episode where the villain stranded a bunch of people on a planet with an energy field that prevented technology from working. Somehow.

Her motivation appeared to be primitivism, but it was actually authoritarianism. She wanted people to obey her, and the way she made that happen was removing technology and becoming the sole source of knowledge about how to survive, so the colony had to do what she said.

I wonder if Tsukasa will ultimately turn out the same.

I mean, it's shonen so he'll probably completely straight with his philosophy, but I can't help but think the real reason he hates the modern world is because it prevents him from being the biggest strongest male who all the others have to listen to just because he's so strong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tbf boomers are loving terrible

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I saw the post talking about Tsukasa, and that post, and for a second I thought you were suggesting that angry lion-punching guy is somehow emblematic of boomers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

so why not get a really really really really long metal pole with a scoop at the end of it to get the sulfuric acid instead of using bootleg gasmasks that might kill you

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mabels big day posted:

so why not get a really really really really long metal pole with a scoop at the end of it to get the sulfuric acid instead of using bootleg gasmasks that might kill you

1) they've established that working metal is pretty tough, so an arbitrary length pole like that would be tough to find.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kX32vRHdDc

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
gas masks are cooler

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

... A PE glass? :stonk:

And then they add water to the acid? :stonk:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I want so much for these ancient venerated tales actually be told some day.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Galvanik posted:

I want so much for these ancient venerated tales actually be told some day.

Did you see that a pikachu was included in the 100 stories.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

logger posted:

Did you see that a pikachu was included in the 100 stories.

Is that 'Fist of the North Star' in them too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Every character there is probably a direct reference to something. Kenshiro and Pikachu are the only ones I recognize though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that kenshiro is actually momotaro.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RatHat posted:

Every character there is probably a direct reference to something. Kenshiro and Pikachu are the only ones I recognize though.

The girl riding the turtle was wielding Guts' Dragon Slayer and had his metal arm.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah 100ten billion percent this village was founded by some otaku who woke up a couple hundred years ago.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
One character looks like she’s wearing Lulu’s hat (ToLoveRu)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if One Piece is one of the 100 stories.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that kenshiro is actually momotaro.

yea those stories got mixed together when they talked about it earlier, didn't they?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if One Piece is one of the 100 stories.

One Piece is probably about 17 of the 100 stories

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that the founder of the village was an ordinary person who managed to survive after de-petrifying. stories were all they could pass down, and even then they got mixed up and distorted over time.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm pretty sure the bunny chick is probably supposed to be the girl from the Daicon IV animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So to recap, from the sulfa roadmap they have :

Iron
Salt (Seawater)
Electricity
Sulfuric Acid

The only non-derivative products it looks like they need are Coal and Sodium Bicarbonate. I'm going to assume that Alcohol is easy enough to re-create since he's created it once, and Coal is probably in Chrome's collection. Other than that everything else on the roadmap is a derivative of one or the other things they already have. Sulfa drugs ahoy!

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Gonna miss the sulfur siren :(

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Chapter 32

Forget the sulfuric acid, how does the physics behind Chrome slip-up even work? He would have to jump to even fall down like that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Forget the sulfuric acid, how does the physics behind Chrome slip-up even work? He would have to jump to even fall down like that. :psyduck:

My guess?

His weird wooden shoes have terrible traction, and he slipped. When he tried to adjust his balance to avoid a spill he overcorrected. Also somehow his wooden shoes have hidden springs and I don't know it's manga they can be weird like that.