Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Don't worry, I am writing all of these blatant lies down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dartonus posted:

The Hammer of Algrim is rightfully a trophy of war belonging to King Alkharad of Mahrak, and the claims to the contrary by the stunted whelps of Karak Azul are completely illegitimate!
That's a grudgin'.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

NewMars posted:

It's in Kraz-A-Karak, actually, according to Honga

Weird, that makes two landmark buildings for Dwarfs there now: Thorgrim's actual throne and this new one. Zhufbar's the Engineer Guild HQ in canon; why the change, I wonder?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Boy is it gonna be awkward when that Brettonian Reliquary wakes up like its Hangover 4 and is like "What the hell, I doze off for 5 minutes and now I'm chained to a horse with a cup welded to my hand and these pasty idiots are gibbering in some stupid tongue and you know what gently caress this poo poo I'm out *calls Nekharan Uber, swarms of Chariots Giant Scorpions and Sphynxes or whatever burst out of the sand and dismember all these idiots like its Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Brettonian crusading and Empire imperialism is going to be another high point of ME. I hope there's a campaign for the Mazda human friends with weird objectives like secure trade agreements.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Really liking having a vampire army with vlad and isabella and it's a great way to play VC, but I can't help feeling that the grand vampire campaign is directionless as hell. Having just come off the back of Norsca, Beastmen and WE playthroughs, it was great having a purpose and a goal. With the vanilla grand campaign factions, I feel like I'm just left to my own devices too much and they run out of steam - which neighbour is weakest, kill them and move on. Be interesting to see how it comes together in ME.

Speaking of which, are the TWW2 factions still going to have their own victory conditions? I know we won't have the vortex, but if it's just "conquer everything" it's gonna feel a bit weak.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I would like an Order vs Destruction kind of final ritual battle in ME. Then you get multiple doomstacks of allies and your own army vs the other side's multiple doomstacks.

Sure, that will kill my computer but what a way to go.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do hope they add a Nagash End times event in Mortal Empires.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Weissritter posted:

I would like an Order vs Destruction kind of final ritual battle in ME. Then you get multiple doomstacks of allies and your own army vs the other side's multiple doomstacks.

Sure, that will kill my computer but what a way to go.

I had a 3 stacks vs 2 stacks battle last night and it was a complete clusterfuck. The ai has no idea what it's doing. Embarrassing for a wargame.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Plavski posted:

Really liking having a vampire army with vlad and isabella and it's a great way to play VC, but I can't help feeling that the grand vampire campaign is directionless as hell. Having just come off the back of Norsca, Beastmen and WE playthroughs, it was great having a purpose and a goal. With the vanilla grand campaign factions, I feel like I'm just left to my own devices too much and they run out of steam - which neighbour is weakest, kill them and move on. Be interesting to see how it comes together in ME.

Speaking of which, are the TWW2 factions still going to have their own victory conditions? I know we won't have the vortex, but if it's just "conquer everything" it's gonna feel a bit weak.

I think that's more an artifact of Vampires being one of the OG races. Back at that point in the game every original race's design was essentially "unite your ancestral home, kill your rival faction, and then go squish Archaeon" with basically no variation or campaign flavor aside from where you start and what sort of dudes you control to stab other dudes with. With VC it's got another problem in that there's really not a lot going on in that end of the map. Unless you're on turbo hellfucker difficulty, Zhufbar will generally leave you alone and focus on fighting Bloody Spears while you can mount up, unite your starting lands, and then launch either North to Ostermark and Kislev, West toward Averland/Stirland, or south to go slap around the Border Princes, which I generally wouldn't recommend simply by virtue of making you have to defend it while surrounded by enemies on basically all sides.

Empire still holds up favorably on the campaign because every single piece of DLC has given them something, either things to do or things to do it with. Every new faction patch has given the Empire a new wizard hero, and they basically start right in the poo poo with a wide variety of enemies to fight. By the time you get Reikland united you'll be dealing with beastmen knocking on your door. Once you get Weissenland and Nuln united then it's time to start fighting a shitling riot of goblins and the VC that are spreading west. Once you finally finish sticking your fingers in Von Carstein's eyes, it's Chaos Party Time and it's also around the time that Norse start getting really aggressive, giving you more enemies to fight in that direction.

Also for the people complaining about no TWW1 races getting rites: Keep in mind that the TWW2 Elves and Skaven aren't going to have regiments of renown either. I'm sure if CA does wind up giving those guys RoR they'll be looking at TWW1 race rites as well. Give it time, not everything can be done at once.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 17, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I think a very real problem with the VC start is the fact that we've had loads of new lords but no new starting locations. I'd probably be enjoying myself more if I was in Moussillon or on the vampire coast right now. There is, as you say, not a lot going on here. Having playing the VC campaign a couple of times, everything is so predictable, even though Isabella and Vlad mix things up on an army comp level.

One of my most enjoyable campaigns was picking up sticks as Wulfric and sailing down to Estalia on turn one to vacation in the nice weather and completely ignore the north. That's something that's pretty heavily punishing to do as VC.

I think I'll just go and play WE again until ME arrives. I love those insane little green guys and gals.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I think there's something broken in me. As much as I love all the new races (especially Skaven) I am by far the most excited to kill them with Dwarfen gunlines. Dwarf vs Skaven is going to be a super fun matchup in the campaign- I obviously can't speak for multiplayer.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Confirmed that we're getting Mortal Empires on the 26th:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/920288287411113984

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone know if you need to have Warhammer 1 installed for Mortal Empires, or just owned? I could use the space on my SSD.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Wow they really did stick to a few weeks.

Warhammer total war feels like it's not only the most successful money wise for CA but also internal development wise. They are just humming along on their paid-dlc and free-Dlc schedules.

I guess it helps that the staff is probably huge biased on all the cash it's making them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Helion posted:

Does anyone know if you need to have Warhammer 1 installed for Mortal Empires, or just owned? I could use the space on my SSD.

Just owned in your steam library, you can save your ssd space.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Captain Beans posted:

Warhammer total war feels like it's not only the most successful money wise for CA but also internal development wise. They are just humming along on their paid-dlc and free-Dlc schedules.

I guess it helps that the staff is probably huge biased on all the cash it's making them.

I am sincerely impressed with the timeline on releasing Mortal Empires. I really feel like the success they're seeing with the Warhammer games is going to result in a turning point of sorts for the company. I'm really excited to see what they do with their next historical title with all the lessons they've been learning.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod for ME that makes it so Old World races can only conquer their WH1 settlements.

Because boy golly do I think Skarsnik becoming Emperor every game, mixed with the Dwarfs conquering the entire world by turn 70 is going to be really old.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

DeathSandwich posted:

Also for the people complaining about no TWW1 races getting rites: Keep in mind that the TWW2 Elves and Skaven aren't going to have regiments of renown either. I'm sure if CA does wind up giving those guys RoR they'll be looking at TWW1 race rites as well. Give it time, not everything can be done at once.

lol no

everyone is getting ROR because of multiplayer and they are another reason to buy DLC

no one is gonna get rites because of DLC or multiplayer

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Rookersh posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod for ME that makes it so Old World races can only conquer their WH1 settlements.

Because boy golly do I think Skarsnik becoming Emperor every game, mixed with the Dwarfs conquering the entire world by turn 70 is going to be really old.

When I used the conquer anywhere mod a lot, this was rarely a problem.

What did happen though is people moved around, a lot. The empire some games would only be in kislev, bretonia, or the badlands.

Dwarves won't be conquering everything since kislev and the vampire counts will be attacking them as well. Border princes also assault the badlands. This causes some weird issues but also good issues.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pendent posted:

I think there's something broken in me. As much as I love all the new races (especially Skaven) I am by far the most excited to kill them with Dwarfen gunlines. Dwarf vs Skaven is going to be a super fun matchup in the campaign- I obviously can't speak for multiplayer.

Especially if they fixed that range bug. Flame cannons at +25% range will be nuts against Skaven, and I've also heard the Organ Gun now tears through blocks of enemies like a weed eater.

Though I do hope they go back and update some skills and research. For example, Elves have these really neat, easy to research global benefits when getting a tier 3 trade building. It encourages you to get a variety of them, and they have lots of ways of maximizing trade. My High Elf campaign is making mad bank on trade income, and while Dwarves do well the High Elves seem to blow them out of the water in this regard. It would be neat to see both factions as trade competitors, with their own unique benefits toward trade buildings.

I've said it many times before, but the research for upgrading the base income for trade buildings isn't worth it for Dwarves. Only Gem and Gold mines provide enough of a base income to really notice another 20% more. Have those half dozen research upgrades do something different (I'd have them do stuff like "Iron Mines now provide X global bonus/tier") to make it worth the time invested in unlocking them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Edit: beaten

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Has anyone got a list of decent quality of life and sensible improvement mods for this yet? Previous thread was very helpful for 1.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Blood DLC coming at the same time as Mortal Empires, too :toot:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

peer posted:

Blood DLC coming at the same time as Mortal Empires, too :toot:

Source?

Edit: Nevermind.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/920310017340968960

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hoping its expanded in some way. Well, mostly one way.

I want to see people burn.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Personally I hope that Gelt follows the general trend of wizard lords being way better in TWW2.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really don't like how condensed the Mortal Empires map is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/76esi2/the_mortal_empires_campaign_map_with_province/

There's almost no point to even having water separating the continents anymore, christ.
Look how much of the loving jungle they hacked off too. :qq:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Depending on how they set the terrain there still might be a lot of "space" between the two continents at least in terms of travel time.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Deakul posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/76esi2/the_mortal_empires_campaign_map_with_province/

There's almost no point to even having water separating the continents anymore, christ.

Gameplay wise this is great then, the jungle slog and naval autoresolve shitfest was the worst part of tw2, so less jungle and less water is a very good thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And frankly, I'd rather not sail for 8 turns just to bring the Lady to cleanse Naggarond. Sailing from Lothern to Hexaoalt land already takes a good while, and if you add in equivalent sailing time to Lothern it'd be ridiculous.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Personally I hope that Gelt follows the general trend of wizard lords being way better in TWW2.

They already made him way better in the last TWW1 patch when they revamped all the OG legendary Lords. If they add the other wizard lord changes (namely with cost reduction at rank 2 of any given spell) then he'll probably be one of the more dominant caster lords in ME, if not for his casting ability (which will probably never match Teclis or Mazdamundi) but for his faction and army buffs (+10 armor across the board if he's your starting lord, another stackable +12 armor for his army with a a unique level up skill, and megabuffs for black powder units on top of being able to field an irresponsible amount of high level wizards).

I could see the red line for all the old TWW1 lords matching the way it's being done for TWW2 (six different 3 point categories that buff certain aspects of the army, probably divided up by state infantry, infantry irregulars like Free Company and flagellants, cav, black powder, and Steam Tank/Luminark) and the blue lines buffed to be more generally useful.

Really more than anything, I wish we'd eventually get empire and elf wizard generic lords. It just seems really weird to me that most everyone else that rolls deep with wizards have at least some access to generic wizard lords, even if they are kind of trashy like gobbo shaman bosses.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

All the parts they cut sucked.

Everything on the west coast in the Malekith campaign sucks. It's all land nobody can do anything with because it's so far away/uninhabitable, and rogue armies basically just camp out over there and keep attacking you forever because the AI doesn't care about Climate. When you take into consideration how long it already takes to conquer mid/east Naggarond it's just pointless.

West/South Lustria suck. It's a bunch of lovely islands you have to jump between, which means hello nonstop naval autoresolve times. The south is just a weird strip of desert nobody can do anything with but the Skaven, who will then proceed to never leave it even as you keep burning them out. I'm sad if the Spine of Sotek is removed, but it's still in the files so it sounds like it's not.

Everything in southern Southlands is the most banal poo poo. Zlatan and Tor Elasor are cool from a lore perspective but aren't super required. Bowmen of Oreon? Queeks starting bit? Fortress of Dawn? Whooooo cares. It's just a strip of back and forth land that keeps switching hands anyway, and is nowhere near as cool as the stuff that'll be showing up in Tomb Kings/Araby land anyways. There is so little there when you look at the global map nobody is ever going to be down in the southern Southlands.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Any news regarding the sales numbers? I really want CA to be successful after all the hard work they've put on this. I read somewhere that SteamSpy numbers showed a 30% drop compared to TW1...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deakul posted:

I wish they'd reduced the size of Norsca and the Badlands in favour of keeping more stuff from the Vortex map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just hope when they add in mortal empires they ditch the endless tutorial tips in the loading screens and go back to the dumb lore blurbs.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think a larger map would work if the strategic map was more sophisticated, but since it mainly exists to act a backdrop to the tactical battles it's not very interesting to fight your own faction for 100 turns.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I wanted the Bowmen of Oreon as another LL. Bummer. Would be nice to have a crazy different WE starting position, but I guess it would gently caress with the Oak defense thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
New LLs are easy DLC so there are lots of them possible in the future.

Also they had to change the entire settlement chain system for everyone to settle everywhere, it's definitely possible to mod it back but it's a lot of work that I'd only expect about 3-4 of the guys on the workshop to do correctly. I had to do something similar but reversed for outposts in other species type settlements, and it wasn't simple.

Probably not going to happen since the demand is low to the point it's not worth the effort.