Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't know why Friedman doesn't have a paywall on his poo poo yet. His 30 thoughts is probably the best hockey media out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bub spank posted:

I haven’t paid for an account, but if you download the app you can read 5 free articles a month. They usually don’t have too much interesting Sens stuff, so those 5 articles are usually enough for me.

That's a good thing to know, thanks!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

JoelJoel posted:

Well, I don't pay a ton of attention to defensive systems (stars seem to have one rn and I'm not sure how to feel about it). Offensively, at least, av has seemed to get good results from a lineup without stars. IIRC he was pretty good about deploying the stars he had in van city, so he seems flexible- something I highly value in a coach (gotta play with what you got).

Guess all I'm trying to say is that av seems to know how to play to his teams' strengths and weaknesses so you should probably just let him get his PDO up before worrying too much.

That is certainly a concern...on a team without a big star or two to carry the load, what happens if they shift to a different system that's less about scoring off the rush? I mean part of AV's offensive philosophy is about creating those really high quality scoring chances. Cross crease passes, breakaways, etc. How much does his defensive system play into that and could you still play a similar offensive system without it? I'm inclined towards "yes" seeing as how the Penguins were able to play a fast up the ice create odd man rushes and chances style of game without playing the man to man coverage that AV wants, but I'd have to watch a lot more Penguins games than I want to in order to decide whether that works for them because of their star players or whether they just help make those chances even better.

He has gotten a lot out of the roster in some ways which is why I'm both super annoyed at his flaws but wary about what would happen if he is fired

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

If someone wants to curl a finger on the monkey paw firing AV just to get some shittacular replacement, gently caress it, I'm sure Jack Capuano could still rent out Garth Snow's basement if he's gonna come back to NY.

E: Vigneault's system and deployment might not be ideal. I don't think there is an available coach that would do better with the roster long term.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 17, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rotten Cookies posted:

If someone wants to curl a finger on the monkey paw firing AV just to get some shittacular replacement, gently caress it, I'm sure Jack Capuano could still rent out Garth Snow's basement if he's gonna come back to NY.

He wouldn't be the only one... IN THE BASEMENT!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm also concerned about who replaces him if AV is fired (because it will, at least in the interim, be lindy ruff) but i don't think you hold on to a coach that is coaching the team poorly just because the immediate replacement option is also bad. i'd say install ruff as the interim coach and maybe he has some short term success or maybe not but then install a properly vetted long term solution in the offseason.

although that being said the nhl is way too much of an old boys' club and there's no way any GM would jerk an established coach around like that (especially if he achieves a modicum of success with the team) so yeah, it'd be a full season of ruff

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I don't think the Rangers should fire AV, that being said I do think AV should try rolling the pre-season projected lines for more than one game. I know we got lit up by Toronto, but maybe give Mac/Shattenkirk and the forwards more than one game together to see if it can get sorted, even if it goes bad again. 2 or 3 games and still no dice then sure, throw everything in the blender.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
but the thing is that he won't do that. that's why i want to fire him. like, i would like it if he did that and i would also like it if he would change all the other things i've been complaining about, but i don't expect those things to happen and that's why i want him to be fired

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hire me NHL hockey team I'll outsource systems decisions to the internet

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that's actually a good idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been suggesting for years that SAS needs to buy an NHL team.

Though it would probably break down when it actually came time to play some hockey as we'd still be arguing about lines.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll start the wiki.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

a false posted:

but the thing is that he won't do that. that's why i want to fire him. like, i would like it if he did that and i would also like it if he would change all the other things i've been complaining about, but i don't expect those things to happen and that's why i want him to be fired

He'll probably get there eventually, and even if he doesn't you can't pull the trigger based on 6 games. Maybe around the 1/4 mark if the story is the same you begin to think about whether or not to make a move, but it's too early now. I don't think Lindy is our knight in shining armor here, give AV the benefit of the doubt, the Rangers have been a competitive team during his entire tenure and it's a bad first 6 games. There's a looooooooot of hockey left.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

that's actually a good idea.

part of me wonders how well that'd work...like, how much systems coaching is kind of bullshit and coaches get too deep into the weeds with details and crap that doesn't matter

But there's probably lots of player management and poo poo like detailed positioning and stick work that you'd need someone who knows what they're doing to coach

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the one place where i think the old boys' club mentality for coaches makes sense is dealing with pro athlete egos and i think that internet people would probably be bad at that but as far as skills go you can hire trainers to work on things like that

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

xzzy posted:

I've been suggesting for years that SAS needs to buy an NHL team.

Though it would probably break down when it actually came time to play some hockey as we'd still be arguing about lines.

"In a bizarre move, the internet-controlled hockey team has opted to put 6 goalies on the ice!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

does adam oates still need a job

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JawKnee posted:

"In a bizarre move, the internet-controlled hockey team has opted to put 6 goalies on the ice!"

"and over in Columbus, John Tortorella is fuming for not thinking of this first"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
we'll drag every game into the shootout and stock the team with 6 or 7 snipers just for that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

"It's an ingenious strategy but something tells me that they're just not a team that's built for the playoffs"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The team's leading scorers all step onto the ice for their first shift in OT, and immediately pull their groin because they've been watching from the bench for two hours and have gone completely cold.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't kid yourself, we'd end up with a bad gimmick team. All guys under 5'8" or no NA or Russian players or only guys in the throes of hair loss.

Let's fukken do it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

JoelJoel posted:

Don't kid yourself, we'd end up with a bad gimmick team. All guys under 5'8" or no NA or Russian players or only guys in the throes of hair loss.

Let's fukken do it.

Captain Zucc, I'm in :3:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Thufir posted:

They're probably pretty tempting for local politicians though. Like, "here's this stadium I got built!" is more sell-able than "I improved our stormwater catchment and stop light timing!" Plus they'll be long out of office by the time the bonds become an obvious burden.

Nashville's got like $1b in bonds for two 20 year-old stadiums and a convention center and now the Mayor's trying to do a $250m MLS stadium.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Imagine having the guts to try and do a stadium grift for Major League Soccer. The Columbus team is about to abandon the country's first large soccer-only stadium, the unofficial home of the national team and those amazing Mexico games, because the city won't build them a new stadium downtown.

Even if people did get behind a publicly-funded stadium for the Crew, :lol: if you don't think Ohio State wouldn't throw quite a bit in the way of resources at trying to kill that poo poo dead in its tracks just like they did in 1997 with the proposed arena for the CBJ and, ironically enough, downtown soccer stadium for the Crew where Huntington Park is now. Columbus wouldn't have an NHL team had John McConnell not heard about what was going on and personally went ":wtc:".

There is some fascinating, nefarious poo poo that went down at the hands of OSU because they didn't want a new little brother, which is detailed in Chill Factor, a good readin' book. :eng101:

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

What I consistently learn from all of you is Fire Every Coach.

I'm quite enjoying Hynes myself.

I like me some Torts as coach of my dumb hockey team*. Brad Shaw and Brad Larsen are pretty good, too.

*Revocable license for potential future indiscretions or poor performance should either or both arise.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Even if people did get behind a publicly-funded stadium for the Crew, :lol: if you don't think Ohio State wouldn't throw quite a bit in the way of resources at trying to kill that poo poo dead in its tracks just like they did in 1997 with the proposed arena for the CBJ and, ironically enough, downtown soccer stadium for the Crew where Huntington Park is now. Columbus wouldn't have an NHL team had John McConnell not heard about what was going on and personally went ":wtc:".

Again, there is some nefarious poo poo that went down at the hands of OSU which is detailed in Chill Factor, a good readin' book. :eng101:

Oh my god I forgot about them blocking the proposed Crew place. Goddamn.

I need to read Chill Factor

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
So I haven't really had time to watch any hockey this year because I usually work evening. Needless to say, I was a bit horrified to turn on the Rangers tonight and see both that they're 1-5, and that from what I've seen of them so far, I'm not sure how they managed to win that one game. Have they looked this awful and out of sync all season long, or is it just because the Penguins are good, or what? I'm guessing it's the former, because 1-5, but yeah.

Holy hell, Cracknell looks like hot garbage. Most of the team looks like hot garbage, but he looks extra garbage (and less hot).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

So I haven't really had time to watch any hockey this year because I usually work evening. Needless to say, I was a bit horrified to turn on the Rangers tonight and see both that they're 1-5, and that from what I've seen of them so far, I'm not sure how they managed to win that one game. Have they looked this awful and out of sync all season long, or is it just because the Penguins are good, or what? I'm guessing it's the former, because 1-5, but yeah.

Holy hell, Cracknell looks like hot garbage. Most of the team looks like hot garbage, but he looks extra garbage (and less hot).

You should refresh your feed or check the TV again or something.

But they haven't been good, agreed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wondered out loud in the GDT how Steve Mason's GAA was 6.53 through two games this season.

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/920459395112296451
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/920458860594388993

Oh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

News: https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/status/920448868013223939

Views; Nolan Patrick, he's good, OP

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The potential for greatness in Hockey, while debatable, is possible. You guys.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Leafs are...good?

I'm still seeing typical 3rd Period Leafs, but they're still winning so gently caress it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
This is not going to be a very good season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/920464928292720641

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
They were pretty sloppy a lot of that game and missed a boat load of open looks. Happy they won in spite of that and they were decent defensively. Not brilliant but better than other games this season, so that's a plus.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

a false posted:

the one place where i think the old boys' club mentality for coaches makes sense is dealing with pro athlete egos and i think that internet people would probably be bad at that but as far as skills go you can hire trainers to work on things like that

The no nonsense sounds stupid but is actually probably right solution to this is actually sports/regular psychology and coaches studying/obtaining degrees in said field so that they know how to talk to players like they're human beings and not this glorified babysitter angry dad bullshit that old money thinks has been working for the last 150 years

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Two moments I had to preserve from the game tonight (in smaller from to preserve your precious bandwidth)
https://i.imgur.com/5NZTFD9.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/rz4QGtP.mp4

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers scoring all the goals. Flyers ... good?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if Sid meant to do that or not....but he probably did because you can see him look and there was nobody where he was sending that puck.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYeHPFR3f0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Tepid trash?

• Locked thread