Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Night10194 posted:

Everyone in 40k uses Napoleonic tactics anyway so it'd be fine.

Yeah I would envision it working like epic 40k. Just scale up so big that unit formations aren't super important and make the battles more macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JBP posted:

Yeah I would envision it working like epic 40k. Just scale up so big that unit formations aren't super important and make the battles more macro.

I feel like this would be a boring spectacle because the only units that would be visually interesting at a macro scale would be stuff like superheavy tanks and titans.

The current TW engine is built around the idea of block regiments and relatively tightly grouped skirmishers forming concrete battle lines in relatively open areas and smacking into each other, which I don't think works for any combat style more advanced than Napoleon. I'm not saying CA couldn't pull off something else but it would look very different than the current way we play Total War on the tactical layer.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

Oh boy, Angry fleshbeasts allied with vikings, Rapist fleshbeasts allied with vikings, Filthy fleshbeasts allied with vikings or Insane fleshbeasts allied with vikings

They'll fit right in with the torture elves, hippy elves, aryan ubermensch elves, mad scientist cocaine rats, aztec lizards, literally prussia with griffins, british football hooligans painted green, stolen tolkien dwarves, literally medieval france but if king arthur was true, and smelly animal people

Its almost like reducing things to a series of adjectives and tropes and divorcing both from any context makes things sound boring.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Truecon420 posted:

Would anyone else like to see CA take a crack at Total war Warhammer 40k, maybe like 5 years from now with new tech? I'm not sure if the map would be 3d/2d or have planet battles or what not but just the idea seems really cool to me.

I mean, CA's proven fairly recently that they have the chops to make good games that aren't Total War (See Alien: Isolation, which is excellent) but Total War as it currently exists would not be a good fit for a 40K game I don't think.

That said, I still really want to see Eugen take a crack at the setting. Wargame: 40K could be the tightest poo poo.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

jokes posted:

Domination victory as high elfs on Very Hard was really cathartic. 350 turns of people loving with me, and they were all undone by arrow bois and pointy stick bois.

Someone should really make it absolutely apparent (maybe in OP) that there is no real penalty for "losing" the vortex ritual race. At the end you fight an almost impossible to lose fight with the other two "losing" vortex races as your allies/meatshields.

So can I just ignore doing rituals as high elves? The first one I did spawned several armies full of dragons and chosen with halberds and I just laughed and quit right there. My lovely stacks of archers and spears couldn't even put a dent in one of them and they marched across ulthuan razing everything to the ground.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

LordAbaddon posted:

They'll fit right in with the torture elves, hippy elves, aryan ubermensch elves, mad scientist cocaine rats, aztec lizards, literally prussia with griffins, british football hooligans painted green, stolen tolkien dwarves, literally medieval france but if king arthur was true, and smelly animal people

Its almost like reducing things to a series of adjectives and tropes and divorcing both from any context makes things sound boring.

All of those involved infinitely more varied language than the chaos bullshit, so that should have raised a flag if you were actually capable of basic thought. I'm not saying any one part of Warhammer is good, just that every part of Chaos is poo poo.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 18, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

New Butt Order posted:

All of those involved infinitely more varied language than the chaos bullshit, so that should have raised a flag if you were actually capable of basic thought. I'm not saying any one part of Warhammer is good, just that every part of Chaos is poo poo.

lol

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

I mean, CA's proven fairly recently that they have the chops to make good games that aren't Total War (See Alien: Isolation, which is excellent) but Total War as it currently exists would not be a good fit for a 40K game I don't think.

That said, I still really want to see Eugen take a crack at the setting. Wargame: 40K could be the tightest poo poo.

Eugen would be absolutely perfect for 40k. We can only hope somebody at GW agrees

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

New Butt Order posted:

Luckily for you TWW3 won't remotely access you bank account to remove the value of the game or hold a gun to your temple as you invest hundreds of hours in it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LordAbaddon posted:

Yeah, see, the thing is that individually, some of those sound a little lame, but put all together and they're cool. The big takeaway there is that the Empire really shouldn't get Demigryphs, because your list gets somehow cooler if in the middle of all of that weird poo poo you get "literally just Prussia" and it moves on. Oh well.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
What exactly determines whether an army is destroyed at the end of a battle or able to withdraw some distance on the campaign map? I thought it might be if you trashed the army good and killed the lord, but I just did that against an intervention force army and the tiny number of remnants were able to run away and come back (and blockade my capital and tank my income) another day.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

New Butt Order posted:

I'm gonna come out and say it

You're going to buy the game anyway.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Drunk in Space posted:

What exactly determines whether an army is destroyed at the end of a battle or able to withdraw some distance on the campaign map? I thought it might be if you trashed the army good and killed the lord, but I just did that against an intervention force army and the tiny number of remnants were able to run away and come back (and blockade my capital and tank my income) another day.

I don't have a full answer to your question, I think ambushes/underway battles always destroy armies, and I think if you've already retreated once and get attacked again it will fully destroy the stack, but I'm not 100% on that.

That said an army besieging your capital immediately destroying all commerce in your empire is dumb and should be removed. Maybe mounting penalties to trade based on how many cities are under siege and what size they are rather than OOPS All trade stopped because an intervention army set up shop at your front door.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

I think how it works is that each Lord gets one retreat per turn, which can happen before a battle, or automatically happens after a defeat. But each Lord only gets one, so if they retreat once and you beat them after that, they get wiped out. That's pretty cut-and-dry, but I think what can happen is that if the Lord is somehow replaced mid-turn, the new Lord still gets gets their retreat too, potentially allowing an army to retreat more times than it should (because the number of allowed retreats is tied to the Lord, not the army). I have no idea if that's intentional or, even, true, but that's what I've picked up so far. But one thing that I am sure of is that if an army retreats once and then you kill them, the army disbands, and that usually if you defeat an army twice in the same turn, it disbands but very rarely doesn't. Also, certain conditions prevent retreats like defensive sieges and if the defending army is in one of the "teleport" movement stances.

e: Also, new to WH2, but armies in forced-march can't retreat either, which is very nice.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 18, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

I don't have a full answer to your question, I think ambushes/underway battles always destroy armies, and I think if you've already retreated once and get attacked again it will fully destroy the stack, but I'm not 100% on that.

Underway battles and the second attack after a victory will always destroy the enemy army, but I have walked away from ambushes I'm pretty sure. Attacking a marching army will destroy it as it can not fall back on the main map.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

lmao

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, see, the thing is that individually, some of those sound a little lame, but put all together and they're cool.

Thats the whole point, Warhammer is a setting where Satanic Vikings fight Fat Toad Wizards riding dinosaurs that fight Edgy Emo Torture Elves that fight Dwarf artillery lines. Its fantasy as imagined through the lens of Heavy Metal album covers. Getting buttmad about one aspect of it on a dead gay comedy forum is stupid.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Underway battles and the second attack after a victory will always destroy the enemy army, but I have walked away from ambushes I'm pretty sure. Attacking a marching army will destroy it as it can not fall back on the main map.

Ah, I think this is what was confusing me as I've definitely seen instances where an (non-underway) army will collapse after the first battle (clearly these must have been stacks in the march stance), whereas as LordAbaddon said, sometimes you'll smack an army twice and it'll still run away (annoyingly, as this often takes it out of range).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Truecon420 posted:

Would anyone else like to see CA take a crack at Total war Warhammer 40k, maybe like 5 years from now with new tech? I'm not sure if the map would be 3d/2d or have planet battles or what not but just the idea seems really cool to me.

40k would probably be better off ported to a game like Wargame: AirLand Battle or it's sequels than a Total War.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LordAbaddon posted:

lmao

Thats the whole point, Warhammer is a setting where Satanic Vikings fight Fat Toad Wizards riding dinosaurs that fight Edgy Emo Torture Elves that fight Dwarf artillery lines. Its fantasy as imagined through the lens of Heavy Metal album covers. Getting buttmad about one aspect of it on a dead gay comedy forum is stupid.
One faction of hellvikings is ok, though? I don't really need four variations on it plus their followers, plus "but what if they...united??", and I definitely don't need it to be morphed into this all-encompassing threat that dwarfs every other faction and dominates everything.
There's a ton of cool poo poo and Chaos is pretty low on this list especially as they move further and further away from what I remember where Chaos actually had some pseudo-positive aspects and just turn into evil, but spikier and sometimes with a little quirk. Norsca is already far more interesting than Chaos in-game and that's because they did something with the Vikings that worship the gods (and I'm sad they didn't include, like someone said, the option for you to worship the Wolf too). Some parts of Chaos are definitely fun and interesting, but GW seems like they lean on them way too much. I can definitely see how someone would be tired of them.

edit: Actually, given how they handled Norsca I'll still be excited for what CA does with Chaos, but in general I think Chaos is a fairly boring faction and I'd rather focus on basically anything else in warhammer, and I can see how tabletop fans are sick of Chaos getting more and more screentime.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Drunk in Space posted:

Ah, I think this is what was confusing me as I've definitely seen instances where an (non-underway) army will collapse after the first battle (clearly these must have been stacks in the march stance), whereas as LordAbaddon said, sometimes you'll smack an army twice and it'll still run away (annoyingly, as this often takes it out of range).

I think that the 3-4x retreat thing is a bug that pops up if you murder the enemy lord in the battle. It'll assign a new lord and then glitch out and consider it a new army.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Total War: 1980s Heavy Metal is going to be sweet and the variation between a Tzeentch and Nurgle army for instance will be bigger than dark and high elves. There are loads of demons to populate army lists and poo poo like Nurgle warriors of chaos will be great. Throw in some chaos dwarfs and ogres and it will be a very fine party indeed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I seriously doubt game 3 is just going to be 4 flavors of daemons and call it a day

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

I seriously doubt game 3 is just going to be 4 flavors of daemons and call it a day

I'm hoping they launch with Nurgle, Tzeentch, Chaos Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdoms. Tough, magical, shooty and ogres seems like a fun balance.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am still hoping for hobgoblin khanites

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The armybooks left for game three are Ogre Kingdoms and Daemons of Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs had an 8th edition legal list from a forgeworld supplement that was roughly the size of brettonia's tabletop roster so they can easily slot in as the third faction

I would probably count on those three (Ogres, Daemons and Chorfs) showing up in game 3 either as headliner factions or DLC, anything after that is gonna have to be left up to speculation.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
ah yes, i cannot wait for the standalone product "only the darklands, and you can play chaos, chaos, chaos, or chaos. since it's a standalone product, you can't actually interact with the old/new world at all. enjoy chaos vs chaos fights for weeks not months until we add this to the new mortaler empires map. we realize the joy of chaos as a faction is destroying all the other races, but in this state of the art product we think it's better if chaos just.....fought chaos until we put out the combined map."

"our first dlc is ogre kingdoms. now you can fight chaos, chaos, chaos, and chaos with ogres in only the darklands!!!!"

"our second dlc is chaos dwarfs, we really feel like this will spice up this pairing."

perhaps they will try to justify the $60 price tag by spending their time adding in naval combat, better sieges, and settlement fights, only for people that play on the mortaler empires map. please buy wh3.

i'm sure that will be great for all the good will they've earned recently with wh1 and wh2.

like gently caress. i'm in it so hard i bought all the wh1 dlc, preordered wh2, and will buy all the wh2 dlc. if they come out and wh3 is just ogre kingdoms, chaos dwarfs, and two chaos factions i will laugh at them over and over again on reddit and never buy their stupid part 3.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 18, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It turns out repeatedly using Steal Technology from your same agent doesn't increase the research % any more but does extend the duration. And doing this enough gives you a trait that also improves chances of success.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rookersh posted:

ah yes, i cannot wait for the standalone product "only the darklands, and you can play chaos, chaos, chaos, or chaos. since it's a standalone product, you can't actually interact with the old/new world at all. enjoy chaos vs chaos fights for weeks not months until we add this to the new mortaler empires map. we realize the joy of chaos as a faction is destroying all the other races, but in this state of the art product we think it's better if chaos just.....fought chaos until we put out the combined map."

"our first dlc is ogre kingdoms. now you can fight chaos, chaos, chaos, and chaos with ogres in only the darklands!!!!"

"our second dlc is chaos dwarfs, we really feel like this will spice up this pairing."

perhaps they will try to justify the $60 price tag by spending their time adding in naval combat, better sieges, and settlement fights, only for people that play on the mortaler empires map. please buy wh3.

i'm sure that will be great for all the good will they've earned recently with wh1 and wh2.

The problem is that once we get Tomb Kings the official Warhammer material dries up, honestly it feels like they kind of shot themselves in the foot for including the southlands in game 2 rather than game 3 since "Cursed Egyptian Skeletons" is significantly more of a hook than Daemons, Chorfs or Ogres have even if I personally like all of them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I hope the WH3 grand campaign gets an endgame battle that involves a free-for-all involving every race in the game because I could also broil a steak from the radiating heat my processor will be emitting.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
All this poo poo is the reason I am 100% sure Kislev will be in game 3

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I would suspect that game 3 wouldn't have separate factions for each of the chaos flavours but a united "Daemons of Chaos" army with a dedication system like the norse...

Ogres, Chorfs and probably a human faction of some description would be likely?

I'll buy game 3 because I want to play ogres and chorfs.

Also the "to be named" world campaign. I've put 60 hours into tw:w2 and I've only completed 1 hatelf campaign and started a :frogout: one and havent even touched the rats or hateelfs.

1 dollar per hour of entertainment is a decent deal.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if CA is boring the 4th race will be Kislev, if CA is awesome the 4th race will be Cathay

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe WH3 will feature multiplayer upgrades :wth:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Teclis has some neat skills and I wish he was attached to an interesting race or start position. Everyone else has a nice flow to their opening but with Teclis it's two turns to go from the first enemy settlement to the second, and then you go in the opposite direction to anything habitable.

Is there something wrong with the game calculating how well battles went? I feel like I get a lower rating than I should a lot, particularly as Skaven. I know autoresolve hates them but that should bump the rating up on a win if anything. Is it factoring in dead summons? They don't seem to count as losses in the post-battle screen. Either that or the game treats skavenslaves like they're made of gold.

Sure, my phoenix is a high value unit and i got it shot a bunch, I don't think it mattered long run but whatever. Great.

Like yeah, you can tell this one was real touch and go.

e: Also I like how the AI sometimes throws beaten armies into doomed sieges just to be a fucker

Gitro fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 18, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can someone explain to me when I should want Stegadons vs Bastiladons? They seem to fill similar roles.

Also it feels like I'm charging them into melee most of the time which makes me wonder why I should get the Solar Engine/Giant Crossbow versions. I guess they are you're only real ranged support if you forgo skinks entirely

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if CA is boring the 4th race will be Kislev, if CA is awesome the 4th race will be Cathay

Gotta save some folks for the dlc

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Can someone explain to me when I should want Stegadons vs Bastiladons? They seem to fill similar roles.

Also it feels like I'm charging them into melee most of the time which makes me wonder why I should get the Solar Engine/Giant Crossbow versions. I guess they are you're only real ranged support if you forgo skinks entirely

Stegadons are amazing. The ballista does great damage with a range of 350 and who cares if you opponent manages to get his cav around to charge it, it's mounted on a giant dinosaur! Stegadons are beasts in melee, while Bastiladons are merely very good in melee and the Solar Engine has about 1/2 the range on it's lazer cannon.

My favorite army is my 6 Stegadon, 2 Solar Engine, 6 Ancient Stegadon 5 heroes on Ancient Stegadon/Carnasaurs and Lord on Carnasaur. Just sit back and shoot them to hell while they close while skinks shoot magic to support, then charge your giant dinosaurs into melee then shoot them some more as they run away. That army could take on 3 full stacks at once no problem.

EDIT: Lord on Carnasaur, not Stegadon, can only have Mazda on one of those.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 18, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

deathbagel posted:

Stegadons are amazing. The ballista does great damage with a range of 350 and who cares if you opponent manages to get his cav around to charge it, it's mounted on a giant dinosaur! Stegadons are beasts in melee, while Bastiladons are merely very good in melee and the Solar Engine has about 1/2 the range on it's lazer cannon.

My favorite army is my 6 Stegadon, 2 Solar Engine, 6 Ancient Stegadon 5 heroes on Ancient Stegadon/Carnasaurs and Lord on Stegadon. Just sit back and shoot them to hell while they close while skinks shoot magic to support, then charge your giant dinosaurs into melee then shoot them some more as they run away. That army could take on 3 full stacks at once no problem.

Watching AI light cav flank my "exposed" Dino Arty and get poo poo on never gets old.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

Watching AI light cav flank my "exposed" Dino Arty and get poo poo on never gets old.

"Oh no, the dark riders have caught me!" says the stegadon through a mouthful of dark riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NeurosisHead posted:

So can I just ignore doing rituals as high elves? The first one I did spawned several armies full of dragons and chosen with halberds and I just laughed and quit right there. My lovely stacks of archers and spears couldn't even put a dent in one of them and they marched across ulthuan razing everything to the ground.

Yes you can, especially since High Elf rituals cause a bunch of armies to spawn in a relatively difficult to defend area, probably far away from where you're focused. When you finish the ritual thing or whatever, you fight all 3 opposing ritual factions in a single battle on a special map in succession (when you beat one, your dudes get ammo back and I think get stamina refilled). This means that at any one point you will be fighting one army, max, even though they say they are allied. And they're kind of pushover armies.

When the AI finishes the vortex ritual you have 3 turns to beat them in the same map, only you are allied with the other 2 "loser" factions regardless of the situation in the overworld (for example, when the lizards finished their ritual I had already killed all the dark elfs and skaven). So there's 3 full-size armies allied against a single full-size army. It's almost unloseable.