Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doesn't surprise me. Brunner owns. His Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up are really good, as well.

I bounced of Zanzibar a few times and gave up on it, but The Sheep Look Up, The Shockwave Rider, and The Crucible of Time were all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

im permabanned poster bangbangshooter58. i first started following the nra when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "guns" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "second amendment" and "obama gonna steal our guns" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "gun" style of the nra was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the nra to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pastry of the Year posted:

My MAN. I have pushed those two on anyone that can read for years. I have lost track of the copies of Zanzibar I've "lent out" never to be returned.

I feel selfish in that I wish he'd lived to see 2017, just so he could keep writing about it (I once saw a forums post elsewhere in which someone had managed to buy Brunner's actual, hand-to-god, typewriter, which is a holy artifact if ever there was one)

but 2017 would have confirmed all of his worst suspicions and broken his sweet heart.

I think we've had a similar conversation in some recommendation thread at some point. I, too, have lent out my copy of Zanzibar and never seen it again. Really need to get a copy and reread it.

PS: Trump is Prexy.

ToxicFrog posted:

I bounced of Zanzibar a few times and gave up on it, but The Sheep Look Up, The Shockwave Rider, and The Crucible of Time were all great.

It helps that I previously read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man so my mind was kind of ready for it sort of. It was still a bit difficult to get into.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

gonna reprise this from april this year because i forgot i made it and i like it

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Reverse the gif and it's a date simulator

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

my school was like one of the top school for deaf studies on the west coast so we had a ton of deaf kids and there was def some bangin hot deaf chicks that i never scored with because i didnt know how to communicate with them but dang I would have liked to

Burt Sexual posted:

did you try the circle with your forefinger and thumb and take your other forefinger through?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Remulak posted:

Fun fact: in the Neolithic there were no wedding rings:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

For some lighthearted personal schadenfreude:

There's a renovation going on at my father-in-law's apartment building and they were deciding on the new color for the building, which will be fully repainted. They put it up for a vote, put all the possible colors on display for voting, and let people cast their votes during the week. Surprisingly enough, a really weird metallic blue color was chosen by a large margin, and everyone was like "what, I would never vote for this one, it's ugly as hell". But since it was decided by vote, they went ahead and started buying the materials and painting. A few days after, someone took a look at the ballots and noticed that a ton of them were filled in a very similar fashion.

My mother-in-law then remembered that during the meeting, one of the neighbor's kids was extremely pumped about the blue color, being all "hey mama, isn't that color really cool, it should be that one". They checked the cameras, and sure enough the kid was there several times during the week, putting ballots that he apparently copied himself in the voting box. It was a very simple black and white form and it was completely anonymous. It was so obvious that there were way more ballots than apartments that at some point they should have figured it out, but somehow didn't.

Now it doesn't really matter since all the paint was already bought and they already paid the painters for several days of work painting with this color. They're just moving on with it. One kid trolled the entire building by himself.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

From the fishing thread

Danthrax posted:

I've caught so many catfish I should change my name to Tinder.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Care Bear Stairs posted:

The Buck stops here

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

"Dating" an nerd [26 M] who is hot and cold with me [26 F]. Should I be patient or move on ?
25 points 23 comments submitted 4 months ago by bdevbca to r/relationships

Hi guys,
I know a guy from college and for a few years now we had a super strong attraction every time we saw each other in the halls or in classes. Like the kind where you just stare into each others eyes and fade out everything around you. Because I was in a relationship for the last 7 years up until a few months ago, I never really approached him and he never made a move either.

I started talking to him when my relationship fell apart completely Not a surprise, I was already done with it for months but couldn't break up in the middle of the semester because I wouldn't have had a place to live and was in a really bad place mentally, due to my mental illness. That was in january.

I did tell him about my situation briefly, to keep him in the loop. The same evening I told him (per text) that he is really great and good-looking and he told me the same thing basically, so I was sure we were on the same page.

Then I hosed up a bit. I'm borderline (he doesn't know that) and in the months prior to my breakup I really changed my life around for the better culminating in the breakup which was a huge burden lifted off of me, so naturally I was, for the first time in my life, just happy.

Because of the circumstances I went out drinking with friends a few times and once drunk-texted my crush. I told him he is awesome and hot etc. Not the L-word. But I complimented him MANY TIMES :D After that he slowly started to pull back, still he answered when I texted, made inside jokes now and then but it definitely cooled down.

When I asked him to hang out 3 weeks or so after the breakup (4 months after we started talking) he told me he doesn't think it's a good idea (what exactly he didn't tell me) because he assumes I developed a crush on him because of my tough situation and my mental state and that he is overwhelmed with me complementing him.

I accepted that and we didn't talk for over a month, then I texted him and proposed that we go about it slowly this time because it was bad timing for me back during the breakup and at first he told me he doesn't want to because he doesn't know what I want. That text made me super angry at first but than I thought about it and texted him back telling him exactly what I want, to talk to him over text sometimes about raspberry pi's and bash. Without any additional expectations or demands (which is a lie of course I have the expectation that we get together in the future).

I couldn't believe my shameless audacity didn't alienate him further because he texted me back that that's doable, even with a little smiley-face. So the current state of things is I text him once a week and he usually answers with more questions and after 3 or 4 back and forth texts the conversation is over because at this point I think we both fear we could gently caress up again.

However I have difficulties coming to terms with whatever there is between us since I can't really tell how much he likes me and fear I am borderline harassing him. He is very pragmatic and I assume he has little to no experience with women, because of how incredibly insecure and shy he is around me (but not around others).

My therapist told me to keep pestering him when we had that period we didn't talk and I did and it turned out "well", but I can only do this for longer if there is hope of him opening up and wanting to take this to the next stage and on one hand I am sure he likes me (no one ever looked at me like he does and laughed that genuinely at my jokes) but on the other hand it's hard for me to accept that he wants so much distance without fearing it's because I'm not good enough.

Should I be persistent?

tl;dr: Met the most amazing guy and am sure he really likes me, at least at one point he did. Then I alienated him and things cooled down between us. I fixed it to a degree and we are talking again, however I can only accept him needing his distance now if there is hope of that changing in the future but am not sure whether that will happen. What should I do ?

dudeness posted:

If eating pistachios has taught me anything, its that sometimes you just have to stop trying to get that fucker out of his shell and throw it away.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

RISCy Business posted:

mods please rename me cum suction unit

Trig Discipline posted:

if you take your dads name often people will just end up calling you junior

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trig Discipline is on the "extremely funny motherfuckers" short list.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Trig fuckin owns.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Trig blazes through these forums, leaving a trail of dropped mics in their wake.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jesus Christ lady you're not dating him, you're harassing him and he's trying to let you down gently because you're loving crazy

Don't date borderlines

Don't date sex weirds

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Jesus Christ lady you're not dating him, you're harassing him and he's trying to let you down gently because you're loving crazy

Don't date borderlines

Don't date sex weirds

A good advice. For Pick.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Don't date borderlines

Don't date sex weirds
I wouldn't call her crazy (at least not based on that information alone) but yeah, she's definitely not picking up his "let's just be friends" signal.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Oct 18, 2017

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Don't date borderlines

Don't date sex weirds

Paladinus posted:

A good advice. For Pick.

The AUG shadenfreude funny is coming from inside the thread!

JigglyPuff
Jun 3, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

I got poon poon

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

I wouldn't call her crazy (at least not based on that information alone) but yeah, she's definitely not picking up his "let's just be friends" signal.
lol at the therapist giving her professional advice to ignore his signals and persistently harass him

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Would anyone kill me if I made a new thread? This one is broken in the app and never shows completely read. Unless a fix was discovered and I missed it.

Ratatozsk posted:

Oh hell naw. This thread is a fighter and would want everything done. This thread never talked about their wishes but ain’t nobody pulling the plug on my watch.

VelociBacon posted:

Thats a very valid way to be feeling and it’s a really important conversation to have. Did your thread ever express that if it was unable to function on it’s own, and needed to be supported continuously, that it wanted to live that way? Hmm, yes, many people would say that if their power should be turned off and they were unable to be the thread they were before, that they would want to be left to be locked naturally. In addition, I actually had a conversation with your thread before it’s power outage and it agreed it wouldn’t like any heroic measures or manual refreshes. Because of these things I have to tell you that your thread is never going to improve, it will always think the last poster is still present, and it is not a candidate for continued support. Do you understand what I’m telling you?

Let’s talk about the rest of your family, do they live near the server? It would be best if they were able to come in this week.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

HEY CLETUS! COME QUICK! THEM CITY BOY DOCTORS SAYIN THEY DONE KILLED OUR THREAD!

Ratatozsk posted:

I want a second opinion. I read in BYOB about a thread in Games that came back after MUCH worse than this. If you're just gonna put THCSt:Ioipa before a death server, I want to be transferred to D&D. They've got amazing mods over there, unlike this third rate subforum. Even if the post counter isn't working, can't you see it's still working...somewhere in there? I don't care what the gently caress your source code failure testing shows.

Besides, the DPO-OP is stuck in GBS and should be able to be here.

Konstantin posted:

Hello, I'm Dr. Konstantin. I understand that the nurse, VelociBacon, said some things that might have been upsetting. I just wanted to reassure you that we aren't giving up and will do everything we can to save this thread.

Anya posted:

I heard this thread wants to learn how to walk again. Well I’m here to tell you that while I can create the best exercise plan for you, if you don’t do the hard work, you won’t walk again. Can you do it? Or I can go to this next room, I hear there’s a thread that loves to work on walking.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The thread showing an unread post isn't actual, meaningful activity. It's server nodes randomly firing, and shouldn't be misinterpreted as life.

dumb stupid idiot posted:

would you all please stop nibbling on the carcass of this thread like an Alzheimer-ridden grandmother

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol at the therapist giving her professional advice to ignore his signals and persistently harass him
Yeah that's a lovely therapist.

I've never needed one, but of the people I know who go to a therapist, most of them say they had to go through several before they found a good one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Y'all dont think the borderline woman is maybe putting words in her therapist's mouth for the benefit of her reddit audience?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

that pic from arthur about people going on the internet and telling lies . jpg

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Y'all dont think the borderline woman is maybe putting words in her therapist's mouth for the benefit of her reddit audience?

.maybe but it's funnier to think it actually happened

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Powaqoatse posted:

It could also be that the therapist gave much milder advice to the issue when it was phrased very carefully by this woman, who then could just turn around and say "My therapist said to keep doing what I'm doing". People will really stretch for validation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is one of the best things I've ever read, period, but I've lost what subforum and poster it was from. Any ideas?

quote:

Another time me and Dancehall was smokin at he place in Brooklyn and talking about some underground rap poo poo, I said man take me to the newest cats you heard of, the rawest street poo poo only. Dancehall get real quiet and take out a small celly, like looked like a baby cell phone or something, poo poo was tiny. He open it up and it just had one button, button had no number on it? He press it and instead of saying anything into he just held up some black and white photograph of a dog to the mouthpiece and lit it on fire, didn't say nothing. I was much lifted from the w33d and thought he was loving with me because thats how Dancehall be sometimes when he high, but like 1 minute later someone beeping outside, don't sound like no normal horn, its hard to describe u know? Like niggas was beeping and this scar I had on my knee from when I was short and ran into a coffee table started itching and I went to scratch it and Dancehall just looked at me like "No nigga, don't itch that. Itch that is the rudest thing you could do." And we went outside and the car was a Escalade sitting on like 24s also, pretty intimidating to get into a devil hell Escalade when you high, but Dancehall wasnt afraid. Driver was on some secret service poo poo, didn't smile, didn't even look at us, we just got in and buckled up. We ended up at this underground garage somewhere in deep Queens, like driving down floor after floor while we just got higher and higher. And then suddenly, there we were, bottom floor, all dark except for the glowing illuminesence of a crowd of niggas checking they Sidekicks and droids, no service because were underground but they still checkin, and a lone spotlight on this dude, real short cat, like 5 feet, wearin all red. Someone had a drum kit, real small, started giving him the most basic beats, and nigga started spitting, but they weren't rhymes. Nigga was spitting anticipation of different events, right? Like all of a sudden, I got real nervous about Easter, started thinking about how I had a bunch of candy and poo poo to buy, right? Then next I was dreading my 40th birthday. I turn to dancehall and I'm "Nigga I'm only 28!!!! Who is this cat and how he spit anticipation of 12 years from now, thats like some 2021 poo poo???????" and Dancehall was 'man, nicca name is some awful poo poo, his moms was a chef at an unpopular but profitable resturant and his dad I heard was a vet who was in the bomb squad and come back with PTSD, so they named him the collective nervousness of a group of people reluctantly waiting to eat. When nigga walks past a Taco Bell, its like a whole crowd of people chanting he name, sultry seduction of crowds of girls waving they titties, smearing them with fire sauce. Drives him crazy like a wolf, make the nicca hornie as hell devil, got arrested last week for putting he mystery weener in one of those new black tacos, found him crying in the bathroom covered in cinnamon, crying, screaming "why u name me this way, chef mom" and I said "no way can a nigga be named that, how they put that on he birth certificate" and it turn out he was born at a Jewish hospital!!! I was like "nigga u cold" and thats why I dont eat tacos no more

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I want to give that loving dork a wedgie so severe that he'd burn up in the atmosphere trying to remove it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Phanatic posted:

This is one of the best things I've ever read, period, but I've lost what subforum and poster it was from. Any ideas?

FYAD / A gentle breeze

don't have a link tho

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

The_White_Crane posted:

... just gotta say, I love that croissant in your avatar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phanatic posted:

This is Achewood as gently caress and I don't really know how to feel about that

Like, take all the "nigga" out and you have the average Ray blog post

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

RealPlayer: Welcome to the silicon prairie

lil bip posted:

Where the wild buffering roam

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

gonna try this with the goatman page

edit: don't do this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This is magical but I have to archive it in image form because people change avs and stuff:

The_White_Crane is the original what-is-shrimp guy, we've come full meta circle.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

wayfinder posted:

Rarely do you see this much aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RD740IESnY

EmmyOk posted:

koreankoreankorean ah penis koreankorean

DiggityDoink posted:

user name/post combo

Dick Trauma posted:

I heard that "THWACK!" from five threads away.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

necrotic posted:

Promises are great

The Dark Wind posted:

And once you're using promises, you're a simple step away from using async/await which is fantastic.

QuarkJets posted:

promises are fine but oaths are definitely better

eternal moral vigilance transcends all other features

Suspicious Dish posted:

Watch out for my new polyfill library, pinkyswear.js

Suspicious Dish posted:

gently caress me

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I'd do this if programming knowledge was an STD.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Palpek posted:

The_White_Crane is the original what-is-shrimp guy, we've come full meta circle.

Whoever gave me this avatar really picked a beautiful image. I like it a lot!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is Achewood as gently caress and I don't really know how to feel about that

Like, take all the "nigga" out and you have the average Ray blog post

It was a response to some random dude posting some account of his evening that read similarly, in that it came close to being comprehensible but never quite got there. The parody version was a vast improvement.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I smoke, so not so much

Facebook Aunt posted:

You just need to hunt gazelles who smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Whoever gave me this avatar really picked a beautiful image. I like it a lot!
I thought the same thing. It's a really nice picture for what could have as well been the very first blurry google image result for croissant.