Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Why not more bombers?

Bombers against FE/AE fleets get destroyed instantly by their fighter waves, at least adding fighters will help thin those a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

hobbesmaster posted:

Why not more bombers?

Because I don't need more damage, I have that in my kinetic battleships. I just need a bit of PD to laugh off missiles until the bad guys are blasted into pieces.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Because they made some incorrect assumptions about the dev cycle which were upended, due to the genre shift, and they had to reduce some of the planned features in order to actually ship a functional game.

I hadn't heard about development can you clarify?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baron Porkface posted:

I hadn't heard about development can you clarify?

Not a huge amount to say; Basically they assumed that moving from their more usual fare, Grand Strats like EU and CK and all, to 4X would be easier than it was. Once development was underway, they realized the gap between expectation and reality was wider than they expected, so they decided to focus on making a functional game and put a few things as a secondary priority. I may be misremembering but at some point I think they confirmed that one of the things they cut back dev resources to was the midgame, the kind of events that relate to colonies like the Mhanin Kahrin or whatever it's called chain, the one with the plants. I don't think they've gone through a comprehensive list or anything of what had to go on the back burner, but sector and governor stuff is assumed to have been one of them.

(For my part this was the right course of action by far)

e; I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the Internet and I have no special knowledge or any poo poo like that, I'm just going by poo poo I'm remembering off the top of my head from tweets and posts and stuff over the past year or whatever.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 19, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Probably a stupid question.

How do I force an empire I created to appear in my galaxy?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does point defense shoot down bombers?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

IAmTheRad posted:

On the Empire selection screen you should see a little icon on the empire boxes on the left sidebar; you can click the icon to change it to include as a possible empire, force it to spawn, or ban it from spawning.

Baron Porkface posted:

Yup!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

IAmTheRad posted:

Click the eagle looking thing at empire selection until it's golden.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Under what conditions is it good to use bombers?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, people who have played purifiers: How do you go about cleansing the galaxy? Using the Cleanse Planet war goal is frustrating because your enemy or a neighbor will immediately move in to colonize the planets you murdered--because of course they have a colony ship just waiting, why wouldn't they? Which also of course sets up faster than an outpost.

Occupying and purging them is a pain too since it takes forever and the game makes you feed the soon to be dead aliens for some reason. It also seems to take longer than they say it should regardless of the purging option. When I did it last it gave me like twenty years until it was done.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There are several purge options which sets the purge speed. If you want them dead in 5 years, you need to use extermination; you can set your default rights to Undesirables/Exterminate to avoid having to set this every time.

I just use Cleanse Planet, combined with a lot of border range pressure. You should be cleansing your neighbours, and their territory should become your territory. As Fanatic Purifiers you do get Unity from purging, but I think it's an absolutely tiny amount, not really worth having to micro a bunch of garrison armies around IMO.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Baron Porkface posted:

When the enemy is lacking in point defense and went heavy on shielding, and you have the resources to bring a LOT of Bombers.

Strike craft are much better than they were, but they're extremely reliant on critical mass in order to be as effective as just throwing artillery downrange. Being able to bring five or more dedicated carriers is crucial to getting a good return on investment for bombers. Fighters less so, since they at least function as an effective PD platform.

Good news is once you do hit that critical mass, Bombers will absolutely shred pretty much any enemy in record time except Fallen Empire fleets, since they have special super strike craft that are far and away stronger than every other strike craft type in the game, and they also poo poo out a colossal amount of them per bay for some reason.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I know lots of people in here play on Hyperlane Only, but has anyone who doesn't play restricted ftls managed to find the Hyperlane Mapping tech? I don't think I've seen it pop up since the Capek update, and I play with all ftls unlocked all the time.

Now that I've posted this I'll get it as my next tech drop, just watch

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Baron Porkface posted:

It does, but not super effectively. In recent updates strike craft got (I think) an HP boost. So PD is best used for low HP missles, and Flak is best used against strike craft.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
New dev diary, including what appears to be a picture of a SINGLE EMPIRE-WIDE SHIP BUILDING INTERFACE!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-90-official-sound-track.1051044/

Edit: Reddit has pointed out that the 'Sol Citadel' label in the top left probably means this is a large station with multiple slipways a la Aurora, which is much less exciting than a decent ship construction UI.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 19, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hope and vaseline posted:

Bombers against FE/AE fleets get destroyed instantly by their fighter waves, at least adding fighters will help thin those a little.
you can overpower even fe/ae countermeasures if you throw enough bombers at them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

Edit: Reddit has pointed out that the 'Sol Citadel' label in the top left probably means this is a large station with multiple slipways a la Aurora, which is much less exciting than a decent ship construction UI.

Yeah, the window for ships in orbit also makes it less likely that it's a single, empire wide interface. Having multiple production lines in a single station will help you crank out a lot of ships with minimal clicking though.

Wonder what else these new stations can do.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I don't like the idea of offloading PD to DDs or CLs since it has the added concern of attrition of those smaller craft when you might have to fight multiple crisis or AE fleets quickly. Losing that important "arm" of your fleet seems overly risky when you can just make another BB class for that, especially since the best PD model also has the best hangar layout.

I still stick with 3:1 of 2 BB types most games, and the only functional difference is the middle hull slot swaps from artillery to carrier. You should realistically tailor your armor/shields, weapon, and fighter/bomber choices per big crisis. If I go cruisers it tends to be all cruisers since they're best used in a way that's very different from BBs in that they should enter the battle as close as possible instead of the opposite.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 19, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/921009923496054784

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Gosh. The new tabs rather imply that we will be seeing something like the choice between defence and offence Wiz has discussed before, probably by having a shared fleet cap for ships and stations. This might mean we're heading for all hyperlane all the time in 1.9, to ensure new defence options are meaningful.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah are buildings inside space ports gonna be like habitats? Where would the pops come from, the surface?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Buildings is probably poo poo like solar panels and defense stations, while modules pertains to shipyards?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I like the idea of these as being upgrades to frontier outposts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll be glad to have a single Fleet Academy and Engineering Bay in one mega-shipyard now, if they don't get overhauled.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

I like the idea of these as being upgrades to frontier outposts.

I assume it's related to the new border system - you build an outpost in every system which marks it for your exclusive exploitation, and those outposts can be upgraded into massive spaceforts if appropriate. Wonder how it'll combine with enlightening primitives - will systems still be able to have multiple owners, or will one empire have exclusive rights to all of it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A single solar-system wide upgradable station that can be everything from a super buffed defense platform to a ship factory depending on what you invest in is really good.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it is super good in fact

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

In addition to what others said if you have whirlwind/swarmer missiles and some ships to spam them they can provide cover for your strike craft, as they're hard to shoot down but PD will still try. It seems pretty effective at reducing the amount of PD aimed at strike craft/torpedoes/other missiles in my limited testing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

A single solar-system wide upgradable station that can be everything from a super buffed defense platform to a ship factory depending on what you invest in is really good.
Yeah, that honestly sounds fantastic. I wonder how planet defence will be handled.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Buildings and modules, oh boy! Wonder if they'll go the Sins route and add in new ship classes aim at siege to offset the new stations, too.

Kinda hope this update will allow you to hyperspecialize planets as well. Having a large starport to build things from is nice but it'd be nice to have a planet covered in nothing but factories with a massive ring of orbital shipyards around it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If I'll be able to queue up my mid-late fleet expansion through 3 screens instead of 12, that's an improvement.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i have asperger syndrome and i am gay and jewish too i guess??? but i think it would be really nice to be able to allocate species to specific tiles. this way i could tell my stupid sector guy that no, the nerve-stapled mining race shouldn't be on the laboratory tile. only my smarties can go on that one (when they grow up, healthy and clean).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
and if you run out of mining tiles while the energy and lab tiles are allocated but empty, you gotta stop growing. sorry miner guy! at least you're stapled so you don't care...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did something change in the most recent update that would prevent fallen empires from spawning? I've started 3 new games with the map set to 2 fallen empires, quick explored 90% of the galaxy with my scouts and not run into any.
Is it possible I just have too many normal empires set for the map and they are pushing out the fallen empires?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 19, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've not had any issues with the requisite number of FEs spawning in my games.

My first instinct would be to tell you to check your mods for conflicts. And if you're still suspicious you can start a few random games and use the observe console command to see what the galaxy looks like upon generation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've not had any issues with the requisite number of FEs spawning in my games.

My first instinct would be to tell you to check your mods for conflicts. And if you're still suspicious you can start a few random games and use the observe console command to see what the galaxy looks like upon generation.

Yeah that's what I've been doing, not really running any mods other than the tiny interface mods and one that gives more map sizes, that's the only one that could possibly be doing something but all it does it add in some extra map size options and defaults, I'm still manually telling it "two fallen empires please". What's really odd is that this popped up out of nowhere, the only change being the latest hotfix.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really like the idea of Rogue Servitors but gently caress if the sector AI has no idea how to handle bio trophies. I wish there were some ruleset you could apply like, stick them in empty tiles or food +1 tile resources. AND STOP BUILDING NUTRIENT PASTE FACTORIES ON EVERY FOOD BONUS TILE FFS.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

hope and vaseline posted:

I really like the idea of Rogue Servitors but gently caress if the sector AI has no idea how to handle bio trophies. I wish there were some ruleset you could apply like, stick them in empty tiles or food +1 tile resources. AND STOP BUILDING NUTRIENT PASTE FACTORIES ON EVERY FOOD BONUS TILE FFS.

A decent way I've seen of handling this is give sectors planets that they can't mismanage like all trophy planets, and all Generic Workerbot planets.

Devouring Swarms have some irritating pop micro of their own when you capture enemy planets but at least to move pops being devoured is influence free. I just had a game where I was getting +300 food production for +150% growth rate which gave an incredibly strong mid-game. With just 2 or 3 planets captured in an early war I was able to force feed a bunch of size 25 off-habitat worlds to full population really quickly and because Hive Mind pops don't use happiness they were almost fully productive without Habitability techs. I later terraformed them because I had too much energy sitting about but even terraforming 6 planets at once barely affecting my monthly mineral income.

I guess Adaptive feels so strong in non-Hive species by getting your pops to 40 happiness more easily, rather than a direct benefit.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If an organic empire conquers a machine pop planet can you give them individuality? Do you get horrible diplo penalties from being forced to autopurge them?

Seems like there should be a way to rewire them and turn them into basic robots/droids/synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Did something change in the most recent update that would prevent fallen empires from spawning? I've started 3 new games with the map set to 2 fallen empires, quick explored 90% of the galaxy with my scouts and not run into any.
Is it possible I just have too many normal empires set for the map and they are pushing out the fallen empires?
I've had that happen. I set the number of empires really high to see how that would play and there were no fallen empires.

I think the fallen empires get placed after regular ones so you can end up accidentally preventing them from spawning, which is unfortunate.

This was what I concluded a few patches ago, don't know if anything's changed and I might have been wrong about that.

• Locked thread