Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SettingSun posted:

The secret to Skull Woods is you only have to do about 30% of it to complete it. But it is obnoxious otherwise. I never liked the Gibdos or the Wallmasters.

This right here. I forget what most of that dungeon looks like because every time I do it I pretty much drop right into the Big Key by traveling through the woods instead of the dungeon. I have probably played LttP a solid 30 times over the years and still gently caress up the Ice Palace sometimes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Could be, but Mac uses it incorrectly, as well. Because he's an idiot and heard The Rock say it but didn't know what it meant.

I’m an idiot that heard the Rock say it so this would apply to me too. I’ve been a wrestling nerd for 20 years and it’s been a regular part of my vocabulary for 20 years, but I’ve never actually bothered to look up how to use it correctly because that’s something a jabroni would do.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
iron sheik on twitter, aka, the best twitter account, constantly uses it too. i call my brother jabroni because he knows he really is a jabroni.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’m an idiot that heard the Rock say it so this would apply to me too. I’ve been a wrestling nerd for 20 years and it’s been a regular part of my vocabulary for 20 years, but I’ve never actually bothered to look up how to use it correctly because that’s something a jabroni would do.

Pretty much the opposite. A jabroni wouldn't look anything up but would use the term without knowing what it meant.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty much the opposite. A jabroni wouldn't look anything up but would use the term without knowing what it meant.

I’d ask you to explain how to use it correctly but I don’t want to derail the thread. But it looks like I was correct when I called myself a jabroni before based on this comment :getin:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

As one of the seeming minority who hasn’t managed to score one of these yet, I’d like to say that stock problems are still a thing.

In my area (urban boston) there are still lines forming outside the doors for restocks. The target in Braintree MA had two in stock overnight that were sold before the doors opened. Wife was working from home today and she got there as the doors opened.

For people with a 9 to 5 and kids to haul around to daycare and such, you really can’t compete with the high school/college/unemployed set who can get there early and wait until the doors open. There’s a reason scalpers still get paid, and it’s because throwing money at someone other than Nintendo remains a reasonable way to buy a thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’d ask you to explain how to use it correctly but I don’t want to derail the thread. But it looks like I was correct when I called myself a jabroni before based on this comment :getin:

Jabroni = jobber. A jobber is someone who "does the job." The job is losing a match. Jobbers are those guys you'd see who always lost.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Jabroni = jobber. A jobber is someone who "does the job." The job is losing a match. Jobbers are those guys you'd see who always lost.

Language evolves my friend. It's a cool word

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gameko posted:

As one of the seeming minority who hasn’t managed to score one of these yet, I’d like to say that stock problems are still a thing.

In my area (urban boston) there are still lines forming outside the doors for restocks. The target in Braintree MA had two in stock overnight that were sold before the doors opened. Wife was working from home today and she got there as the doors opened.

For people with a 9 to 5 and kids to haul around to daycare and such, you really can’t compete with the high school/college/unemployed set who can get there early and wait until the doors open. There’s a reason scalpers still get paid, and it’s because throwing money at someone other than Nintendo remains a reasonable way to buy a thing.

I'm still looking too (South Jersey near Philadelphia). Went into Target near my office yesterday and they said that they had 15 come in last week, which sounds insane to me. They told me that they usually get large shipments on Fridays and told me to call back this morning...and then told me to call back Tuesday/Wednesday when I did call :cmon:

I got a Wii at the height of its scarcity by just walking into a Best Buy so I continue to have faith. But boy is it annoying.

E: I might just start rolling up to Target at 8 AM when they open up, I'd only have to adjust my commute a little bit.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 20, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been checking Target's online stock the past few days and I've literally seen them come in and go out within minutes. I'm still hoping for one

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Gameko posted:

If you're in a major city it seems they go fast for sure as well. I've given up trying to get one in Chicago for now. I'll try again in the spring maybe, or maybe I'll just get one on ebay if it's come down to $100 or so.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Any of you running this thing through a HDMI splitter? I can't get it to work on my cheapo 3-port one that shows PS3 and Xbox 360 just fine. It works fine if I plug it straight to the same HDMI port on the TV, but I get nothing through the splitter. I found some forum posts of people having the same issue, but no solutions.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Veib posted:

Any of you running this thing through a HDMI splitter? I can't get it to work on my cheapo 3-port one that shows PS3 and Xbox 360 just fine. It works fine if I plug it straight to the same HDMI port on the TV, but I get nothing through the splitter. I found some forum posts of people having the same issue, but no solutions.

I use one of these splitters and it works fine. I was using a cheaper one, but I was getting static on my PS4, which is apparently related to bad/older HDMI cables. This one has worked with anything I've thrown at it.

If you have something connected to it that doesn't do sleep mode well or at all (like a Raspberry Pi or a Roku), it'll probably keep trying to switch to that. But for my use (5 consoles), it works just fine.

I have a different, cheaper one on another TV that I haven't tested it with. It did freak out with my UltraHDMI N64 in certain oddball video modes, so it may have an issue with the SNES. I can try it later.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Veib posted:

Unless you have some way of interfacing with the splitter and changing its behavior there isn't much you can do short of trying a different model splitter.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Veib posted:

The SNES mini only outputs RGB. The splitter may not support that signal. One of the ports on my Denon receiver won’t work with it for this reason.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szh3iDfi9zU&list=PLirSddeMOYZ5tl_D7uIOqudccftwecSQT&index=2

I heard the Genesis had surprisingly good sound hardware but that it was poorly implemented somehow.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Veib posted:

I remember liking Gunman's Proof, it only came out in Japan (in 1997!) but there's a translation patch.

e: Marvelous: Another Treasure Island is also a Japan-only Zelda clone with a translation patch, except this time from Nintendo themselves. I haven't played it though.

Thanks for posting about these! I added both Gunman's Proof and Marvelous to my SNES Classic right away. Haven't tried Mavelous yet but I was immediately charmed as soon as I fired up Gunman's Proof.

Look at these screens!

Some more info here https://www.destructoid.com/it-came-from-japan-ganpuru-gunman-s-proof-215718.phtml

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dejawesp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szh3iDfi9zU&list=PLirSddeMOYZ5tl_D7uIOqudccftwecSQT&index=2

I heard the Genesis had surprisingly good sound hardware but that it was poorly implemented somehow.

The main problems with the Genesis are twofold:

1. The default library Sega provided third-party developers for the FM synthesis kinda sucks which is why so many third-party titles sound lovely

2. Different Genesis revisions had different sound chips resulting in wildly different sound quality

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Like, even within the same "model" Genesis there are like 4-5 different hardware revisions and there's a complicated system of looking at the ports in the back and through the cartridge slot at the motherboard to find out which one you have. Different video encoders were used to and there's only a few different revisions with the perfect combo of good sound and video

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dejawesp posted:

Part of the story that people say is that the music composition tool (GEMS, aka Genesis Editor for Music and Sound effects) that Sega of America produced was poo poo. The reality is that it made music composition so easy, that people used it akin to a cheap casio keyboard. As in they would use the default sound patxhes and then use them to compose music; which gave a very samey and farty sound to a lot of Genesis games.

Meanwhile composers who used the tool more like a synthesizer and crafted sounds individually, or programatically generated music, made music that could outclass the Super Nintendo in some ways (most notably, Bass).

Edit: f;b but maybe guy can look into this youtube video that details how people would've composed music back when the Genesis was contemporary, and it touches on these issues some.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 20, 2017

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Been checking target.com off and on during the week and it looks like most major city areas are consistently getting restocks.

I was able to walk into the Target next to my work this morning and snag a second unit for myself (first one was a gift).

Can't wait to throw hakchi on it this weekend!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, it really seems like Nintendo is following on their word. I’m starting to believe that SNES and NES Classics will be not that difficult to find next year.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It took me 3 weeks to find an SNES Classic randomly in a Target, and it took me 4 months to get an online order for the NES Classic, which I never actually saw in a store.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

techknight posted:

Thanks for posting about these! I added both Gunman's Proof and Marvelous to my SNES Classic right away. Haven't tried Mavelous yet but I was immediately charmed as soon as I fired up Gunman's Proof.

Look at these screens!

Some more info here https://www.destructoid.com/it-came-from-japan-ganpuru-gunman-s-proof-215718.phtml

Ahh I forgot about that ghost, it’s the best :ghost:

Forcyte
Nov 22, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've been checking Target's online stock the past few days and I've literally seen them come in and go out within minutes. I'm still hoping for one

I managed to snag one today. I've been calling the closest Target weekly to check on when they expect to restock. Last week, a guy working in the electronics department said that they were expecting a shipment in next Thursday, for sale starting on Friday. I was there about a half hour before they opened today, and was the second person waiting. By the time they let us in, there were five of us, but lucky enough the store had exactly five units available.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there some sort of trick to getting the gun-arm upgrade in Megaman X?

I do not remember it being this hard. I have the speed boots and helmet upgrade and I cannot time the jump right. Youtube videos make it look so goddamn easy.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=81014

:swoon:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Huh, this whole time, I thought that ghost came from Mother 3.

Man, I've been meaning to continue playing that game. I didn't go far, and then I kind of forgot about it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Is there some sort of trick to getting the gun-arm upgrade in Megaman X?

I do not remember it being this hard. I have the speed boots and helmet upgrade and I cannot time the jump right. Youtube videos make it look so goddamn easy.

I don't have any advice since it's muscle memory to me at this point but if you fall after breaking any blocks you'll probably have to redo the attempt.

Was going to tell you to charge up a Penguin Sled but forgot that you could only do that in the remake since they shuffled the upgrades around (since you need the charge to do it in the first place).

Don't you get it automatically after Zero's bit in the first Sigma Stage?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

About 800 went up on Best Buy Canada at 4pm ET. Snagged one for a co-worker - he's stoked. But it sold out in like, 1 minute.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

you don't, the japanese 30 lives code for contra 3 (which isn't even the konami code) doesn't work in the US version at all :/

oh man, never play mortal kombat 1

How are you supposed to beat this game then. :psyduck:

Also, why's that? :v:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a question... Why do you never ever hear about Street Fighter 1?

I remember the AVGN made a joke about how Street Fighter 2 had so many remakes that if Street Fighter 1 had one it would be called "Street Fighter: Good edition", which presumably sums it up.

Phantasium posted:

Good luck with that.

$45 Canadian on Steam. :lol:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 20, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Cuntellectual posted:

How are you supposed to beat this game then. :psyduck:

The Gamegrumps just did a playthrough and apparently there's a part on stage 3 where you can farm enemies for a bunch of lives?

They never got to stage 3. :v:

quote:

Also, why's that? :v:

Mortal Kombat 1, on the SNES is....rough. The Sega version was more popular because it included all the gore and fatalities but neither were terribly good fighting games. They both feel very stiff.

Its a wonder MK2 is as good as it is. Also I'm still amazed that the SNES version got all the gore and fatalities.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What Shin Megami games were on SNES and do any of them have any good translations?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

What Shin Megami games were on SNES and do any of them have any good translations?

Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 are on SNES and both have full translations. There was also a spinoff game, SMT If... which has a translation in the works but no patch released

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Guys... I... I think I might not like Secret of Mana.

Hear me out on this... the underlying premise and whatnot is all fine, it's just... so grindy. And repetitive. You wander around grinding out levels and weapons/magic skills, then rush through some dungeon, get to a boss, figure out what type of magic it's weak to, and then promptly shove that magic repeatedly up its rear end. Magic never misses, and dodging attacks is quite rudimentary. Spamming is basically the way to win, and it's more about just surviving long enough to poo poo out the spell damage needed for the boss to explode. Oh, and gently caress your magic, it doesn't replenish on level up, just your health. Also there's only one magic restoring item, and you can only carry 4. Also it's a pain to restock and never drops. gently caress you, player, you're gonna run back and forth to towns a lot while grinding for hours.

Story isn't all that special, really... it's interesting though cliche, but you don't really give that much of a poo poo about the 3 main characters, really. Ultimately it's a sidenote to grinding out magic and weapon skills on random mook enemies in a given region, followed by buying the best armor you can find, then repeating that process over and over on a new tileset.

Really debating just skipping finishing it and just going to SD3 and Sword of Mana on GBA, both of which I've heard are kinda more fun to play and have better characters and plotlines to them (I'm one of those STORIES IN VIDYA GAEMS philistines).

Am I a stupid idiot loser and I should stick with it, or is there no big loss to bowing it and moving on to the other games in the series with arguably better storylines and gameplay?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

techknight posted:

Look at these screens!

Man, I remember someone on this forum had that ghost as an avatar years ago - I always wondered where it was from!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Really debating just skipping finishing it and just going to SD3 and Sword of Mana on GBA, both of which I've heard are kinda more fun to play and have better characters and plotlines to them (I'm one of those STORIES IN VIDYA GAEMS philistines).

Am I a stupid idiot loser and I should stick with it, or is there no big loss to bowing it and moving on to the other games in the series with arguably better storylines and gameplay?

tbh you don't play the Mana games for sweeping plotlines. Sword of Mana in particular is just an incredibly verbose remake of a gameboy game, complete with trying to hide the fact that the guy whose name is "Dark Lord" is the villain.

I don't agree with the grind of the game but since I'm clearly alone in this I'll stop bringing it up.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fuzz posted:

You don't have to grind that much but yeah, move on, there's no point where SoM suddenly becomes good if you're not enjoying it. Plus one of the later game areas is everything you don't like in the game and then some (iirc it has 5 bosses?). Give SD3 a spin, there's no grinding weapon or magic levels in it and the combat is a lot more solid. Just make sure you buy the buff items when they become available or pick Lise as one of your three characters because buffs/debuffs in that game are are super good and the only real counter to some of the poo poo lategame enemies can do to you.

I think Ninja Hawk can debuff too but idr, it's been ages.

e: The poo poo you have to grind for in SoM is wonky iirc and it's a mess for the player to figure out. Sprite Gnome and Sylph are good to grind a few levels for since they're common weaknesses and good enough when it isn't, Girl Undine just for healing magic. I think you need Dryad up a few levels for Mana Magic for the final boss? Otherwise it's just a few levels, there's no need to get every element up to max level because yeah that is horrible amounts of grind. Weapon levels past lv2 are pointless due to the time it takes to charge them, you can just get interrupted by enemies, and some weird poo poo that goes on behind the scenes that I've never deciphered that just makes it unreliable.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Scrublord Prime posted:

You don't have to grind that much but yeah, move on, there's no point where SoM suddenly becomes good if you're not enjoying it. Plus one of the later game areas is everything you don't like in the game and then some (iirc it has 5 bosses?). Give SD3 a spin, there's no grinding weapon or magic levels in it and the combat is a lot more solid. Just make sure you buy the buff items when they become available or pick Lise as one of your three characters because buffs/debuffs in that game are are super good and the only real counter to some of the poo poo lategame enemies can do to you.

I think Ninja Hawk can debuff too but idr, it's been ages.

I had planned to go with Hawk as my main, then Kevin and Lise to round it out. Seemed like a fun combo, and after playing the early part of Hawk's story, I already gave way more of a poo poo about him than literally any character in SoM, 8 hours in.