Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Fire Emblem Echoes? I've played Awakening and Fates but I know that Echoes is plenty different.
- Unlike other Fire Emblems, you want to promote people as soon as you can. Promotion bonuses just bring you up to the bases of the new class if you're below them.
- Faye is really, really useful as a Cleric. She gets Rescue pretty early, which is crazy helpful. Most of the other villagers can work in almost any class, though I like Kliff as a Mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Leavemywife posted:

Just grabbed The Evil Within for the PS4. Anything I should know?

There are boss enemies that you cannot kill, or at least it's incredibly inefficient to do so, and the game doesn't do a great job of distinguishing them. If you can escape from a boss fight then that is probably what you have to do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've started a second playthrough of XCOM2, although I don't have the big expansion; what I do have is the other DLC. When's a good time to do those missions? I've unlocked some kind of a tower structure and a level that's marked with skulls, I don't think I had either in my original playthrough so I think that's it. Level/gear recommendations?
Playing on Commander.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Tips for X-Com Sequel

Squaddies dying are a normal part of the game. They're expendable, so don't get attached.

Make sure you respond to terror missions.

You might want to get rid of soldiers that panic or get mind controlled often. They're a liability and the only way to get more resistance to panicking is to panic more, possibly killing your good soldiers in the process.

Some weapons only work underwater, don't bring Hydro Jet Cannons or Torpedo Launchers on surface terror missions.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Tips for X-Com Sequel

Squaddies dying are a normal part of the game. They're expendable, so don't get attached.

Make sure you respond to terror missions.

You might want to get rid of soldiers that panic or get mind controlled often. They're a liability and the only way to get more resistance to panicking is to panic more, possibly killing your good soldiers in the process.

Some weapons only work underwater, don't bring Hydro Jet Cannons or Torpedo Launchers on surface terror missions.
I think they mean the 2017 one.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

anilEhilated posted:

I've started a second playthrough of XCOM2, although I don't have the big expansion; what I do have is the other DLC. When's a good time to do those missions? I've unlocked some kind of a tower structure and a level that's marked with skulls, I don't think I had either in my original playthrough so I think that's it. Level/gear recommendations?
Playing on Commander.

Alien Rulers and Shens Last Gift are both a little difficult and I'd wait until you have your first squad size upgrade, maybe both.

I'd really recommend WotC though if you got the dough to spare, it's like a whole different game.

On Shens you'll want to bring EMP Grenades and Bluescreen Rounds, the Alien Ruler mission doesn't need special equipment per se, but they will take an action any time any of your soldiers do anything, so just keep that in mind and bring healing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

anilEhilated posted:

Playing on Commander.

Don't sell too many of the bodies of the early soldiers, they are used in the construction of basic supplies and rarely show up later.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Discendo Vox posted:

I see you have other aides, nvm. Now if only I could find someone to help me in watch dogs...
I just played through Watch_Dogs for the first time since I find it heresy to play sequels without playing the originals (if they are available on a system you have available anyway) and I was surprised how relatively active the online elements were, considering the Before I Play suggestions seemed to imply you were doomed if you wanted to do those parts of the story. I never had any problems finding opponents, though mostly I was just curious if it still existed.

Though it was a little disappointing to learn that Online Hacking is seemingly populated 100% by people who instakill you with sniper rifles when you spawn. But the other modes seemed fair from what I could tell (or maybe I am just SO GOOD that the fact that I won almost every encounter made it seem fair even if it was helped by lag on their end or something).

Also good lord Watch_Dogs was really fun and I can only assume this means the sequel is BOONDOGGLINGLY AMAZING considering how much praise it gets in comparison

though yes the fundamental motivating-plot-conceit of the game being that your niece was killed is... not the strongest motivator I have seen, though I enjoyed how it played out more or less minus the protagonist being a sociopath who somehow has extreme empathy regardless

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Luminaflare posted:

Monster Hunter Stories?

Asking again since I didn't get a response.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

Asking again since I didn't get a response.

I'd also like to know. I wrote up a short thing from the demo, but the demo is really limited, so...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

I'd really recommend WotC though if you got the dough to spare, it's like a whole different game.
I'm waiting about two years until the price drops into a range that is reasonable for me on that one.
Anyhow, thanks for all the tips, hydrocannons aside. A question regarding those panic checks - is there a general guideline what Will score becomes a liability? I remember from my first run that psionics were pretty important in this game and since I'm already getting my rear end kicked I'm kind of dreading Avatars entering the fray.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Avatars are a non issue honestly, you'll only meet a few and they're easy to focus fire down

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

im cute posted:

I'd also like to know. I wrote up a short thing from the demo, but the demo is really limited, so...

I'll crosspost my answer from the main MH thread.

Zore posted:

Heavier and smellier eggs are better. Heavier means more slots while smellier means better genes.

Make the Rathian or Pink Rathian sets as soon as you can. They increase the chance of a monster retreating which is the best way to get specific eggs.

On that note, the paintball effect that increases the chance for the monster to retreat lasts 3 turns so to maximize the chances have your hunter throw paintballs while your monstie chips the last of the opponent's health.
Ex
Qurupeco is god. Its ability generates encounters which lets you get in fights with rare spawns a hell of a lot easier than tracking them down. Ive literally never seen regular Rathian without it.

The patterns on the eggs tell you what monster they have. There's a visual guide on Gamefaqs if you're curious.

Your Rider quickly becomes support for your monster with rather anemic damage. Make sure you're doing sidequests to unlock support abilities for your weapons to keep them relevant.

The only monsters that aren't really endgame viable are the 1-2 star stuff; the *aggis, *dromes, Herbivores etc. They just lag too far behind stat-wise.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zore posted:

I'll crosspost my answer from the main MH thread.

thanks!

speaking of genes, how do they even work? can you breed up monsters? i've only just started messing around in the snowfield after Pondry Plains

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anilEhilated posted:

A question regarding those panic checks - is there a general guideline what Will score becomes a liability?

My understanding is that unlike the original games, Will is the stat for both panics and psi defense, and failing checks will train them. As long as you don't have someone who is completely terrible, your worst guys will catch up, and you can use PCS modules if it ends up being a problem.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Etrian Odyssey V? The game thread is moving so fast I can't understand any of the tips.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Terminally Bored posted:

Etrian Odyssey V? The game thread is moving so fast I can't understand any of the tips.

1) don't gently caress with squirrels
2) you don't need to have one character of every race, but it helps because they have unique racial skills
3) if you don't use one character from each race, you can still use their classes. you unlock class switching while retaining race and the original portrait after you complete the first floor.

4) no seriously don't gently caress with squirrels

5) actually do and then tell the thread about what happened so i can be like "u shoulda believed me binch :dukedog:"

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Terminally Bored posted:

Are you new to the series as a whole or tips specifically for this game?

Honestly I haven't seen anything too crazy different from the other games, but I'm still working my way through the final floor of the first stratum. Some racial skills seem a bit pointless, though, so there might be some traps there. I don't have many tips outside of this so far:

-You have up to three extended slots that are used for Necromancer Wraiths or Dragoon's Bunker.
-Try not to eat raw food. You can cook ingredients at campfires and bake at an NPC.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What are some tips for Etrian Odyssey 5? Just got it and it's so drat pretty.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scroll up literally three posts

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mayor McCheese posted:

Are you new to the series as a whole or tips specifically for this game?

Beat IV and loved it. Tried both Untolds and didn't like them that much.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well EO5 is og etrian odyssey goodness, none of this "story characters" or "fixed classes" poo poo. it's just you, your bros, and your waifus and your husbandos, climbing a big fuckin tree.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Here are some tips for Elex:

• This is one of those goddamn games where stat points start costing more than one point per raise after you hit 30 in a stat, so plan accordingly if you think "oh I will just quickly get to 50 INT and buy that related skill" like I did

• That notwithstanding it is literally Gothic and Fallout having a baby (literally) so buy it immediately actually it feels like a more polished though less crazy Mars: War Logs if you actually played that like I did

• The jetpack makes being cool with ranged weapons even easier than in previous Piranha Bytes games on one hand, though on the other it seems like more creatures have some sort of ranged attack so that can be a problem. But it still seems like a saner idea to use ranged weapons in this game than to engage with the super-confusing (as always) melee system beyond finishing things off.

• Edit: Oh and Captain Rat implied I should post that conversational options that are gated by mysterious casual statements like [Combat 3] are referring to the total number of points you need in whatever skill category they are listing in order to pass the check.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 21, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

im cute posted:

thanks!

speaking of genes, how do they even work? can you breed up monsters? i've only just started messing around in the snowfield after Pondry Plains

You get the ability to smash monsters together, transferring one gene to the corresponding location (if possible) to another monster, destroying the source monster. You can get fire breathing Lagombi and stuff with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Middle Earth: Shadow of War

- Use your Mirian to unlock the gem slots on your gear first. Don't bother with lootboxes until later, they scale with your level.

- Post game is a bit different so don't look up videos of it if you don't want to be spoiled.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

RatHat posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

- Use your Mirian to unlock the gem slots on your gear first. Don't bother with lootboxes until later, they scale with your level.

- Post game is a bit different so don't look up videos of it if you don't want to be spoiled.

I would add to also use Mirian to unlock siege upgrades before going after lootboxes. They don't have anything you can't get via normal play, anyways.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything for Original Sin 2?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Lone Badger posted:

Anything for Original Sin 2?

-You probably want to use a pregen character to use the Tags system well

-When you get to Fort Joy you can gather members of your party - these are the other prehensile characters. Three or four are in really obvious places and you'll run into them just by exploring the camp, but some (like the undead guy) are a bit more hidden. Make sure to set up your party before doing too many quests so you don't lose out on XP.

-You are going to want to take a summoner.

-The game is insanely open ended - I did a quest that left me with a really good ring really early on. Unfortunately, I needed to turn in the ring to complete the quest. So I just followed the NPC to their new position and pickpocketed the ring right back. So remember, there might be creative ways to get around obstacles or problems.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dishonored 2 page is quite light. Anything else I should know?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Experiment with your equipment and powers. Have fun.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

1redflag posted:

You have to be pretty bloodthirsty to hit high chaos so don't feel bad stabbing a few bad guys, it is arguably the point of the game after all.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Elex has middling to bad reviews on most of the internet, what redeems it to make it a goon darling?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Elex has middling to bad reviews on most of the internet, what redeems it to make it a goon darling?

We have notoriously bad taste and stupid opinions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Janky but weirdly compelling RPGs like that have always had their fanbases, but they're rarely crowd favorites.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for the One Piece Warriors game? Bearing in mind I only ever played a bit of Warriors Orochi and recently discovered I actually have this without knowing anything about the anime or game?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 22, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Where is it a goon darling? I don't think I've seen anyone other than myself post positively about it.

(It's fun though. Definitely weird and janky but I'm having fun.)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for the One Piece Warriors game? Bearing in mind I only ever played a bit of Warriors Orochi and recently discovered I actually have this without knowing anything about the anime or game?

Just enjoy yourself. Experiment with different characters, see who you like. It's all pretty ridiculous, so just bask in that and beat the poo poo out of thousands of dudes at a time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
222 hours in and I've finally sent a group of unwitting colonists offworld in Rimworld. Here are some things I learned along the way:
  • For purposes of thermal conductivity, all varieties of stone seem to be equal. The important thing is how thick a wall is. A freezer built in a hot area with walls one-square thick is a bad idea. Double them up to save on power costs.
  • Building your base in a mountain and don't have a solution for your cooler/freezer? Build a corridor that will bleed the heat out to the open. Don't think of it as an impassable area--colonists can pass through it to get from one place to another just fine so long as it's not ridiculously hot. Crossing over one or two squares of 120F heat isn't going to hurt anyone, so don't think of them as "ducts," but rather "really warm hallways."
  • Raid difficulty is heavily based on how lavish your settlement is. Find some gold in them there hills during the early game? Leave it there. It's safer if it needs to be mined in order to be stolen anyway. If you put it in a stockpile or build gold tiled floors out of it or something, you'll raise the overall value of your settlement. How numerous and how capable raiders are is partly a factor of that value. Unless you've got colonists on the brink of a major breakdown, stick with a spartan lifestyle for the early- and maybe even mid-game.
  • Turrets explode mad style when they have sustained too much damage. This isn't necessarily a bad thing--the AI tends to go after them first, so a lone turret far out in front of your defenses may draw raiders in close for the fireworks. If eight raiders surround that turret and beat it to death, you're looking at eight dying or dead raiders after it goes off.
  • If a faction is just pissed-off enough to be hostile toward you, capture some of their attackers, heal them, then set them free. Each one that gets off the map successfully gives you +15 with that faction. After a couple of jerks take off walking, the faction may be so grateful to have their people back that they stop attacking you.
  • Nothing is stopping you from building two research benches and having two people do research at once. Or three. You get the idea.
  • Chairs. You know what people need when they're at a workbench, slaving away at a lengthy project? Somewhere to loving sit. Put a chair (face it the correct direction) at the interaction spot and they'll be more contented. Hell, if the chair is of a high enough quality, they may actually gain Mood from building/cutting/sewing/etc.
  • A clean work area is a productive work area. Having crap on the floor slows down work/research. Keep those workshops/labs tidy.
  • Nutrient Paste Dispensers are bugged as hell and not worth it in the first place even if they did work as intended. Slap together a makeshift kitchen (or campfire if you're really in need) and cook things instead. The game even tells you that nobody likes eating nutrient paste, so give them real food instead.
  • You are going to fail quite a bit. That's just Rimworld. Not every story has a happy ending. Learn from what went wrong and send some more unwitting losers down to try again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dwarf Fortress.... IN SPACE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Dwarf Fortress.... IN SPACE

Pretty much, yeah. Just way easier to control and understand.