Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I'm not looking that word up, gently caress you.

Classic Shellstrop move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I took the hit for you...
1. relating to Manichaeism

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If extrapolate logically from the trolley problem, it becomes clear that if we kill one-sixth of the world's population, the rest will live forever.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Schur is on record as saying that while there may be a few small twists here and there(i.e. janet malfunctioning, michael torturing on the sly) the big huge end season twists arent something that should be expected every year. I'm happy he feels this way because if the whole show was predicated on trying to figure out what the next big reveal is it would never actually go anywhere. This season addressed that issue by compressing a bunch of micro seasons in a few episodes but I'd like some forward momentum for a bit longer than s1 did now that we know whats really going on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even really need more forward momentum, though thinking about Team Cockroach overthrowing this bullshit Good Place/Bad Place hierarchy is exciting as some kind of endgame even if I have no idea how we'd get there. Just give me a few more episodes that are even close to how funny this one was and I'm good.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the main thing is, a good twist is one that provides new context for the story thus far and/or intriguing motivation for storylines to come. A bad twist is one that undermines the story and leaves no opportunity for follow-up.

A lot of the twists people keep suggesting here are bad because they're built on negation. "No, nothing we've been told about the nature of the Good/Bad Places has been accurate. No, the season 1 finale twist wasn't true after all. No, Eleanor's not dead, she's just in a coma and Michael is a popcorn mascot she saw on the grocery store shelf."

These kinds of reveals would kill the show dead, instead of adding new dimensions the way the S1 finale twist did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One thing I'd like to say is that from the preview clips before the show first premiered I wasn't totally sold on Janet and I cannot believe how utterly wrong I was.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arist posted:

I don't even really need more forward momentum, though thinking about Team Cockroach overthrowing this bullshit Good Place/Bad Place hierarchy is exciting as some kind of endgame even if I have no idea how we'd get there. Just give me a few more episodes that are even close to how funny this one was and I'm good.

I don’t even see that as a twist, Eleanor has been saying as much since the middle of the first season or so

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Supercar Gautier posted:

"No, Eleanor's not dead, she's just in a coma and Michael is a popcorn mascot she saw on the grocery store shelf."

This is actually pretty hilarious though and totally in character for Eleanor

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its all a Sims videogame, and the camera pulls out and reveals Jason is the player.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its all a Sims videogame, and the camera pulls out and reveals Jason is the player.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

Chidi, as an example, went to the Bad Place because his neuroses hurt other people. He is essentially in hell for having a mental illness.

What that means is: the system that sorts people into the Good/Bad places is cruel and hosed up. The Bad Place and the real Good Place (whatever it's actually like) are both completely on board with this cruel and hosed up system. Does the system use points? Well, that fits in with how cruel and hosed up it is, so sure! This is how the afterlife works and whatever divine authourity governs it is cool with all of it.

If the points turned out to be a lie, then that just means the system uses a different cruel and hosed up sorting method than points, which would not be an interesting twist because it would not change or recontextualize anything.

An eternal sentence based on a finite observation period is hosed up no matter how you slice it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

" [...] Michael is a popcorn mascot she saw on the grocery store shelf."

Yeah I kind of want this to be the final dramatic zoom-in of the series now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh... apparently this show's ratings are Not Great. It is getting absolutely hosed by Thursday Night Football.

Should I be worried about possibly not getting a third season of this?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So uh... apparently this show's ratings are Not Great. It is getting absolutely hosed by Thursday Night Football.

Should I be worried about possibly not getting a third season of this?

NBC's threshold for canceling shows is extremely low, as they don't get good ratings in general (Even Will&Grace, the Thursday night tentpole, isn't doing too well).

Parks&Rec, as an example, did about this in ratings most seasons too, and it lasted 8 seasons.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
From Lost Thread phase to Community Thread Phase in one post. That was a, uh, fascinating transition. Damnit

Effort Edit: NBC, while still a corporation which longs for profits, does care about legacy and quality. Examples include Community, 30 Rock, Carmichael Show. And I think they’re relieved to finally have re-created Must-See TV Thursday nights without resorting to magic

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 21, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It did a 1.1 rating in the key demo for last week's live viewing, and I'm sure picks up a bunch more in L+3 and +7. It's doing fine for a half hour sitcom in the modern peak tv landscape.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I imagine the Hulu streaming also factors into its ratings and reception with NBC, too.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It's also a big hit on Netflix so even if NBC cancels it maybe Netflix would pick it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd imagine it's not the most expensive show to make, either.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's no Game of Thrones, but all the CG for the imaginative torture scenes probably adds up and makes it costlier than a lot of more grounded shows I would think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it adds up, but the cg in this show is like... only passable because it's a comedy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah and we just had two episodes in a row that were bottle episodes (aside from a couple diversions in Trolley)

They get a lot of use out of the existing sets and if they ever need to cut the CG budget I doubt the humor would suffer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

clown shoes posted:

It's also a big hit on Netflix so even if NBC cancels it maybe Netflix would pick it up.

Wish Netflix released numbers, but it's airing on Netflix the day after America and anecdotally I know a bunch of people hooked.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As far as I'm aware, it's only behind This Is Us and Will & Grace in the demo for NBC. It's probably fine.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTv6KzLczQ

Not sure this was posted. These people are national treasures.

Edit.. Taken down

Probably Infected fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 25, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Probably Infected posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTv6KzLczQ

Not sure this was posted. These people are national treasures.

Thank you. That was fantastic. Jason's actor seems really good at improvising but maybe those were just different lines they were having him try out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

on tv, 90% of improv is rehearsed. that said, I really hope that that was genuine improv.

Speaking of, would improv classes be an activity in the good place, or the bad place?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Much like being French, having ever belonged to an improv troupe is probably automatic grounds for Bad Place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

Much like being French, having ever belonged to an improv troupe is probably automatic grounds for Bad Place.

Naw, some great comedians have come put of improv. Let's just say if you have ever invited someone to your improv show, you go to the bad place.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Superrodan posted:

Thank you. That was fantastic. Jason's actor seems really good at improvising but maybe those were just different lines they were having him try out.

Jason's lines were fantastic.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

swickles posted:

Naw, some great comedians have come put of improv. Let's just say if you have ever invited someone to your improv show, you go to the bad place.

ask yourself. How many comedians would go to the good place?

the bad place is where all the cool people are.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, does getting to hang around with cool people count for much if all you get to do together is scream while spiders run up your butthole or a demon breaks out the ol' penis flattener for eternity. Eternity with boring people when you can wish for anything is a good alternative to eternity with exciting people when you spend all of it being the plaything of bored middle management with access to every torture device ever conceived.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hey, I don't kinkshame

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was going to suggest bad place demons probably do; but that's really what Michael's attempting to pioneer, psychological torture using your greatest neurosis, which would include your kinks. Regular demons just want to go with simple physical torture apparently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maybe the term "butthole spiders" isn't literal

maybe they're just spiders who speak to you very rudely

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

Maybe they are just spiders found in Jason's bud hole.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

precision posted:

Maybe they just an tribute band to the Butthole Surfers, only with more legs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Maybe they are just spiders found in Jason's bud hole.

Yeah, I'm waiting for this joke to be made in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Random Stranger posted:

Oh gently caress. I spent most of my twenties as a professional baguette thief to feed my family. Am I going to the bad place? :ohdear:
The joke about French people automatically going to the bad place was fine, I guess. The followup joke about stealing baguettes being worse than stealing other kinds of bread because it's more French was hilarious.

• Locked thread