Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Dumb question: isn't there a way to customize units color? Like an army painter type mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Unless they're from Bordeleaux. In which case their errantry was probably as a midshipman.

Bordeleaux is the main Bretonnian port, where their naval power is based from. And during older editions, Bretonnia was also the strongest naval power in the Old World with a navy even better developed than the Empire's.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:siren:I found the one truly necessary mod:siren:

Improved Arrow Trails

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1164592788

I can still see where arrows are coming from/going but no longer have big jizz streaks all over my screen, hooray!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Dumb question: isn't there a way to customize units color? Like an army painter type mode?

Only through modding. Although changing faction colors is definitely one of the easier things to mod in this game. You just type in some RBG numbers.

Wafflecopper posted:

:siren:I found the one truly necessary mod:siren:

Improved Arrow Trails

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1164592788

I can still see where arrows are coming from/going but no longer have big jizz streaks all over my screen, hooray!

I tried it out a few days ago and found them too difficult to see. Something in between this and the default would be best. As-is I'm sticking with the default.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Inverted Sphere posted:

Oh poo poo, that's a really drat cool concept, and that'll literally have every single faction and both maps doing their crazy poo poo at the same time? So it sounds like as someone who really, really loves Total War and is pretty sure mixing in Warhammer only makes it better, it's absolutely worth it to get both and doubly worth it to grab WH1 while it's on sale. Thank you!

Should I be terribly concerned about any of the DLC for WH1 at present, or is that something that could probably wait?

All the factions are present on the combined map. The territory of the combined map is the entire WH1 map and around 2/3s of the WH2 map (they cut some of the very southern and very western provinces of WH2 in the interest of turn times and keeping the action focused)

I think Blood, Grim and the Grave, King and the Warlord are close to required.

The 4 faction packs are a pick up later thing. The factions were added as opponents whether you own them or not. So they only add anything if you want to play as them. So you get a ton of content without them and if one seems particularly cool then you can pick it up later. In terms of ranking, Id say the Wood Elves and Norse are better then Beastmen who are much better then Chaos

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SickZip posted:

I think Blood, Grim and the Grave, King and the Warlord are close to required.

Only if you want to play as those factions. Games have plenty to choose from, and the factions still show up for the ai.

There's no need at all to buy any dlc until you're sure you a) like the game and b) want it.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

sassassin posted:

Only if you want to play as those factions. Games have plenty to choose from, and the factions still show up for the ai.

There's no need at all to buy any dlc until you're sure you a) like the game and b) want it.

Look at this troll that doesn't love the product enough to recommend buying DLC for a game you don't even know you like yet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

Look at this troll that doesn't love the product enough to recommend buying DLC for a game you don't even know you like yet.

It's my gimmick.

Any tips for fighting 8 stegadons in a stack (plus krox, solar doodads, temple guard)? Been hiding in forests until they charge my lines and I fast forward through the carnage for an easy win but that's neither satisfying nor fun.

I hated fighting the beastmen 'artillery with loads of health and also good in melee' units and I hate these, too.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

It was a pretty dumb post because he didn't read what he was replying to and assumed the recommendations were for the new faction DLCs, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

It was a pretty dumb post because he didn't read what he was replying to and assumed the recommendations were for the new faction DLCs, though.

King and the Warlord gives two new factions to play as?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

King and the Warlord gives two new factions to play as?

One of the -three- recommendations adds new factions, which are exactly the same as existing factions except with different start positions, in a DLC that is primarily focused around adding units/RoRs to the default races.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

sassassin posted:

It's my gimmick.

Any tips for fighting 8 stegadons in a stack (plus krox, solar doodads, temple guard)? Been hiding in forests until they charge my lines and I fast forward through the carnage for an easy win but that's neither satisfying nor fun.

I hated fighting the beastmen 'artillery with loads of health and also good in melee' units and I hate these, too.

high tier anti-large like phoenix guards, blackguards of naggaroth, halberd stormvermin, etc. it depends on your faction. if you're skaven, having several warp lightning cannons also goes a really long way

also spells that reduce armor help if you're just looking to speed things up

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 24, 2017

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Grim and the Grave and King and the Warlord both feature units that fill holes in the base factions lineup. The main factions are incomplete without them imo.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SickZip posted:

Grim and the Grave and King and the Warlord both feature units that fill holes in the base factions lineup. The main factions are incomplete without them imo.

Plus I'm pretty sure that the AI factions get full access to the missing units and Regiments of Renown.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't wait to see what kind of insane battlefields Skaven will leave behind when we get the Blood DLC with Mortal Empires. I have like 1000 dead slaves on a good day. :v:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I finally got the game on sale, and I'm wanting to start off as Bretonnia. Any advice on what to do as them? I read somewhere you're meant to take Durthu/the Wood Elves out as quickly as possible?

EDIT: First game that is.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 24, 2017

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I bought the first game like a year ago, completely forgot about it, and started it up this week, and I'm definitely glad I did. Just out of curiosity, why are Chaos considered a boring faction? I'm loving the horde mechanics as a way to make your empire really flexible, and it definitely makes me want to check out the beastmen after this playthrough.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Angrymantium posted:

I bought the first game like a year ago, completely forgot about it, and started it up this week, and I'm definitely glad I did. Just out of curiosity, why are Chaos considered a boring faction? I'm loving the horde mechanics as a way to make your empire really flexible, and it definitely makes me want to check out the beastmen after this playthrough.

They got a lot better in the last update for game 1, they used to have it that having hordes close together caused attrition for all troops not just marauders and their replenishment was much weaker.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chaos has always been fun but people are bad at playing them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I finally got the game on sale, and I'm wanting to start off as Bretonnia. Any advice on what to do as them? I read somewhere you're meant to take Durthu/the Wood Elves out as quickly as possible?

EDIT: First game that is.

On your lords get your knight's vows ASAP because you do not have the peasants to have much of a foot army. Your minor settlements are a lot more rigid in how you want to build stuff in them, generally farms + Windmill + whatever else. This is countererd by the fact that bret minor settlements get walls for free at level 3 without building the wall building.

Use your J button to about face after a charge and pull back, your guys aren't all that great in an extended punch up and you want as much charge impact as possible.

You don't really need to worry about ganking wood elves all that much, even as Cassarone. They really don't sally out all that often even if you are at war with them, which is an about face from how they were when they were first release (that is to say, basically leafy green chaos hordes come to burn out your poo poo and leave a lovely hellforest in their wake).

At the beginning of turn 2 you're going to get a notification about orc uprisings and get hit with a -20 public order debuff for the next 20 turns. Don't try and fight against it, lean into the skid and take the opportunity to bash some free armies for lord levels, cash, and chivalry. The game proper basically begins on turn 23.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Chaos has always been fun but people are bad at playing them.

scorchingly hot take

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

What is a hilariously bad strategy but fun to play Skaven army involving as many rats on the field as possible? I'm talking a literal wave of fur, poo poo and piss swarming the poor bastards across from them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

botany posted:

scorchingly hot take

we had a bunch of people who didn't know you can sally with the garrison army against a besieging enemy, so saying "lots of people are bad at this game" isn't really a stretch imo

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

What is a hilariously bad strategy but fun to play Skaven army involving as many rats on the field as possible? I'm talking a literal wave of fur, poo poo and piss swarming the poor bastards across from them.

Four artillery pieces and the rest skavenslaves.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Jamwad Hilder posted:

we had a bunch of people who didn't know you can sally with the garrison army against a besieging enemy, so saying "lots of people are bad at this game" isn't really a stretch imo

"if you don't enjoy the chaos campaign you are bad at the game" is, however, the biggest stretch i've seen since i first watched jim carrey's classic motion picture "the mask"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

botany posted:

"if you don't enjoy the chaos campaign you are bad at the game" is, however, the biggest stretch i've seen since i first watched jim carrey's classic motion picture "the mask"

Yeah, both can be true between "Lots of people are bad at the game" and "The OG chaos campaign was real bad". The original Chaos campaign was real bad and then Beastmen came along and showed you how to do a chaos horde faction but loving properly.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Use your J button to about face after a charge and pull back, your guys aren't all that great in an extended punch up and you want as much charge impact as possible.

That depends on the unit. Questing Knights and Grail Guardians are more melee cav and are quite capable to sticking around and kicking poo poo out of stuff.

Two stacks. One filled with slaves or clanrats, the other with plagueclaw catapults.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 24, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Chaos as they originally played in the game were flawed as hell. Beastmen were essentially the archetype for a good horde faction, which then got backported to Chaos. So far my only disappointment with ME is that Chaos doesn't get the good changes CA gave them in the foundation update.

Fortunately, it seems like they'll be fixing that relatively soon after it releases.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Game already has a problem with offensive sieges (probably the least fun battle type) being too common, and Chaos dials that up to 11. They are 100% focused on razing cities and can't even go into ambush stance to force field fights.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

poo poo, you can do that?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Benagain posted:

poo poo, you can do that?

lmao

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Chaos plus Gejnor's tweak mod was pretty fun, I'd recommend that

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh that's a good sign, I believe Gejnor made a good call on buffing Greatswords through Honest Steel with his mod back in WH1. Felt like it may have been too strong, so a cut to +8 sounds like a good trade-off.

It was someone elses suggestion (on discord no less) but i really liked the idea! I do agree it was a nice and possibly needed upgrade but it did feel a bit too strong, so this is a nice trade-off indeed, im guessing if they are going this route then perhaps if they add a 1 point skill it will further boost your normal dudes + greatswords in some way!

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Vargs posted:

Game already has a problem with offensive sieges (probably the least fun battle type) being too common, and Chaos dials that up to 11. They are 100% focused on razing cities and can't even go into ambush stance to force field fights.

This!

Sieges are so common and boring, with beating the same garrison over and over with no change.
After a while, you know how the battle will play out, and unless the auto resolve is very much in your favors, you'll have to play it out again to minimize losses.

A random garrison or a recruited garrison would be a very nice and a game changer.

With other factions you'll proberly just want to bring 2 20' stacks to auto resolve every siege battle, to ensure easy victory
Most people doesn't play this game to auto resolve battles doh. same boring garrison + same boring map will never be fun.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I quite like against the odds siege defences.

But yeah, siege attack is bad.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I kind of like offensive sieges as the Skaven. It gets pretty drat apocalyptic. I often go for lots of artillery in my Skaven armies, like 2x warp lightning cannons and 2x plague claws, with a second army backing me up. Use those to batter down a wall section then go in with Stormvermin, while clanrats scale the walls and the cannons just kepe shooting (often bring up my globadiers and warpfire throwers as well to get some out of them). Also hide death runners way out on the flanks to take undefended sections and cause mischief.

Once versus the lizardmen I even pushed my cannons through the breach and fired point blank at a Stegadon.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gejnor posted:

It was someone elses suggestion (on discord no less) but i really liked the idea! I do agree it was a nice and possibly needed upgrade but it did feel a bit too strong, so this is a nice trade-off indeed, im guessing if they are going this route then perhaps if they add a 1 point skill it will further boost your normal dudes + greatswords in some way!

Is there a total war discord or your personal discord? I'm learning modding a bit but can't figure out how to change victory conditions

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's just because skaven are the best

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Once versus the lizardmen I even pushed my cannons through the breach and fired point blank at a Stegadon.

That's :black101: as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Descar posted:

This!

Sieges are so common and boring, with beating the same garrison over and over with no change.
After a while, you know how the battle will play out, and unless the auto resolve is very much in your favors, you'll have to play it out again to minimize losses.

A random garrison or a recruited garrison would be a very nice and a game changer.

With other factions you'll proberly just want to bring 2 20' stacks to auto resolve every siege battle, to ensure easy victory
Most people doesn't play this game to auto resolve battles doh. same boring garrison + same boring map will never be fun.

Yeah I wish they had more variety in the siege maps. They added a few new ones with WH2 but the problem is still that 90% of the fight is on the walls, and the walls are still just big straight lines with restricted movement that half the units in the game aren't allowed to climb. It would be cool if they had non-walled settlement battles, like in previous games, just to break things up a bit.