Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The joke about French people automatically going to the bad place was fine, I guess. The followup joke about stealing baguettes being worse than stealing other kinds of bread because it's more French was hilarious.

Bear in mind that Chidi's first language is French as well, so presumably he's hearing Michael say all of that IN French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Probably Infected posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTv6KzLczQ

Not sure this was posted. These people are national treasures.

Janet's riffs holding the basketball killed me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Janet's riffs holding the basketball killed me.

"Look Michael! Oprah's voice..."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

double nine posted:

on tv, 90% of improv is rehearsed. that said, I really hope that that was genuine improv.

Speaking of, would improv classes be an activity in the good place, or the bad place?

Short form is -25 points
Long form is -10 points
Going to a UCB show for your first date because you want to be a comedian is -50 points

I like improv but its definitely a bad place thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

"Look Michael! Oprah's voice..."

burn her :)!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Probably Infected posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTv6KzLczQ

Not sure this was posted. These people are national treasures.

I'm glad I watched this earlier, because it's gone now.

This truly is the Bad Place.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just found and binged on the entirety of this show, and man alive I'm loving it. Figured out the twist in the first episode (I guess I played too much Diablo 2 as a kid), but I was just waiting for the shoe to drop and it was wonderful.

The esoteric prism I can't help viewing the the entire series through is the old video game Afterlife, a SimHeaven/SimHell city builder by LucasArts*. In that game's terms, Michael's neighborhood is simply a badly-run/highly-inefficient one-tile punishment, and it's funnier for it.

* The game that ruined the endgame for Diablo 2, because the supposedly-angelic-being was voiced by your demonic helper Jasper Wormsworth, so of course it was a demon the whole time...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hahaha gently caress I want to clown on you for connecting this amazing show to Diablo 2 and Afterlife but... that's a weirdly good take

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double nine posted:

ask yourself. How many comedians would go to the good place?

the bad place is where all the cool people are.

Do we have legal weed in this theoretical "good place"?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, if Janet can get you cocaine, I'm sure weed isn't a problem.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

MisterBibs posted:

Just found and binged on the entirety of this show, and man alive I'm loving it. Figured out the twist in the first episode (I guess I played too much Diablo 2 as a kid), but I was just waiting for the shoe to drop and it was wonderful.

Yeah, when I started binging literally the only thing I knew about the show was "they're actually in the bad place". It didn't make watching it any less interesting, and when the reveal came and you learn how it was all done, it was still a great moment. That's the good kind of twist, the kind that's still compelling even after you know it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, if Janet can get you cocaine, I'm sure weed isn't a problem.

That makes me wonder: what would the real Good Place do if someone had been a perfect saint all their life and then when they got to what is essentially heaven realized they didn't have to maintain conduct to a set of societal rules anymore, could get anything they want instantly and with no work and could basically fulfill all their repressed desired and darkest fantasies guilt free for eternity? If someone got in to the Good Place and started breaking bad because there was no longer any real need to be good would they eventually be kicked out? If a real Jianyu ended up there, then after a short while started doing cocaine in public while cursing out his peers, insulting the other residents publicly, loudly and constantly and generally made an arse of himself would he eventually be kicked out; or would the Good Place engineers just shrug their shoulders and tell the other residents it was their bad luck and they had to deal with it now?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tsob posted:

That makes me wonder: what would the real Good Place do if someone had been a perfect saint all their life and then when they got to what is essentially heaven realized they didn't have to maintain conduct to a set of societal rules anymore, could get anything they want instantly and with no work and could basically fulfill all their repressed desired and darkest fantasies guilt free for eternity? If someone got in to the Good Place and started breaking bad because there was no longer any real need to be good would they eventually be kicked out? If a real Jianyu ended up there, then after a short while started doing cocaine in public while cursing out his peers, insulting the other residents publicly, loudly and constantly and generally made an arse of himself would he eventually be kicked out; or would the Good Place engineers just shrug their shoulders and tell the other residents it was their bad luck and they had to deal with it now?

I think this is going to come up at some point, because s1 was fairly inconsistent about the issue of whether someone's points can change after they're processed (though it had reason to be inconsistent, mind) and I feel like we're gonna see a real answer at some point.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'd say that kind of scenario is kind of covered by Tahani, who did many good things in her life, but for the wrong reasons. Someone who was a terrible human being underneath but did good things only because society told them to or for fear of going to the Bad Place in the afterlife wouldn't be the kind of person to go to the Good Place in the first place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Good Place would be like Westworld

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

The Good Place would be like Westworld

Westworld is The Good Place but for rich people

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Klungar posted:

I'd say that kind of scenario is kind of covered by Tahani, who did many good things in her life, but for the wrong reasons. Someone who was a terrible human being underneath but did good things only because society told them to or for fear of going to the Bad Place in the afterlife wouldn't be the kind of person to go to the Good Place in the first place.

That's only if the rhetorical person were consciously obeying laws, rules etc. purely for selfish reasons and not if this rhetorical person really was doing it all along for genuine reasons but realized those reasons no longer had any impact or necessity when they died because there was no longer any way to hurt himself or any need to work for anything as well as that a lot of his actions didn't even really hurt those around them. You can take out the swearing if you wish, or just view it as an eventual action of someone dropping in to a spiral of what would normally be considered self destructive and harmful behavior but this rhetorical person would no longer be subject to.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

tsob posted:

That's only if the rhetorical person were consciously obeying laws, rules etc. purely for selfish reasons and not if this rhetorical person really was doing it all along for genuine reasons but realized those reasons no longer had any impact or necessity when they died because there was no longer any way to hurt himself or any need to work for anything as well as that a lot of his actions didn't even really hurt those around them. You can take out the swearing if you wish, or just view it as an eventual action of someone dropping in to a spiral of what would normally be considered self destructive and harmful behavior but this rhetorical person would no longer be subject to.

This is more or less the mirror to Michael's existential crisis earlier; if the human who winds up in the Good Place realizes that there's just an eternity of (possibly) no consequences, why bother with ethics and morality? Presumably this'd mean the Good Place does have "angels" milling about and keeping watch, I'm tempted to say akin to the ones in Heinlein's Job.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yes, but presumably the rhetorical "good" person wouldn't care about a lack of consequence and slip into hedonism just because they're allowed to. If, to take an example from Michael's introduction to the point system last season, a person remained loyal to the Cleveland Browns their whole life, they wouldn't ditch that and decide to pull for the Patriots after death just to finally feel like they won one.

Typing that out, I realize that Jason should really have some good points racked up because of his staunch devotion to the Jaguars, another lovely team that'll never win.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's mostly if you consider "good" an inherent trait and not a learned quality that you cultivate over your life time and an emergent system essentially, with the person acting "good" because the system around them rewards them for doing good while they continue to act good to be rewarded. It doesn't even require the person, at least consciously be aware that they're doing it for reward, just that they buy in to the system. They can buy in to it and believe it entirely, but still be acting out of what could be viewed as selfish reasons unconsciously.

It also presumes that a "good" person is one that never changes. Good for a few decades, good for eternity. And eternity is a long time. Maybe their soul takes several eons to realize that there's no consequence, but that lack of consequence starts to corrupt their thinking and actions?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Bear in mind that Chidi's first language is French as well, so presumably he's hearing Michael say all of that IN French.

I want to hear the original French version of his rap.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Klungar posted:

I mean, I don't think that's what we're positing, so much as someone who is genuinely good in life, but decides to cut loose once they're in the consequence-free afterlife.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gaz-L posted:

This is the tiniest of nitpicks that even worrying about gets me negative points, but it bugs me that all of Chidi's flashbacks are in English when French was his native language.It should be in french and subtitled in English if that's the case.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Except the Boots Saga. He said he's lived in Australia and the Boot Guy's accent would suggest those flashbacks are from when he was teaching there.

He still should have had a French accent but oh well.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Your Taint posted:

This is the tiniest of nitpicks that even worrying about gets me negative points, but it bugs me that all of Chidi's flashbacks are in English when French was his native language.It should be in french and subtitled in English if that's the case.

lol you know this show airs on network television right?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I don't think that's what we're positing, so much as someone who is genuinely good in life, but decides to cut loose once they're in the consequence-free afterlife.

I don't see how you can have it both ways. If consequences = you act good, and no consequences = you act bad, then you are only acting good because of perceived consequences.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is why everyone hates Moral Philosophy professors.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

They’re gonna cut to a scene of Mr Rogers on a football field with a whole bunch of puppies and kittens lined up for field goal practice.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 26, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Klungar posted:

I don't see how you can have it both ways. If consequences = you act good, and no consequences = you act bad, then you are only acting good because of perceived consequences.

Because the Tahani example is her consciously acting good purely for her own selfish benefit, because she wants recognition, fame and to be seen as both good and worthwhile. Where we're talking about someone who is doing good as a result of consequences but is only unconsciously doing so for reward and is consciously doing it because it's the right thing, and that when they go someplace where their actions have no real consequence is at some point corrupted and begins to realize they can do whatever they want because nothing they do results in any particular harm.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tsob posted:

Because the Tahani example is her consciously acting good purely for her own selfish benefit, because she wants recognition, fame and to be seen as both good and worthwhile. Where we're talking about someone who is doing good as a result of consequences but is only unconsciously doing so for reward and is consciously doing it because it's the right thing, and that when they go someplace where their actions have no real consequence is at some point corrupted and begins to realize they can do whatever they want because nothing they do results in any particular harm.

Where does this corruption come from though? It is either an internal corruption, which seems like it would likely disqualify the person from reaching The Good Place in the first place, or an externally driven corruption, such as a Fake Eleanor in the neighborhood scenario, which seems unlikely to happen in the actual Good Place. Remember, only true saints and paragons of virtues seem to get into The Good Place, merely having a positive point total is not enough.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Corruption does not have to take the form of explicitly bad things. Immediate access to anything you can imagine with no effort or consequence of any kind can corrupt all on it's own. Imagine a tea totaller getting in to the Good Place for instance. They might eventually decide to try alcohol, because they can simply negate any drunkness, distasteful flavor and/or hangover with a though, if they even happen in the first place. And having tried alcohol, they might follow that trend to other drugs, because why not? They can get them synthesized without ever harming anyone, can negate any ill effects at request and taking them cannot harm them in any way, shape or form.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why would using drugs without consequences be bad?

The worst parts of drug use in real life are the lovely ways that addicts behave to get a fix.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tsob posted:

Corruption does not have to take the form of explicitly bad things. Immediate access to anything you can imagine with no effort or consequence of any kind can corrupt all on it's own. Imagine a tea totaller getting in to the Good Place for instance. They might eventually decide to try alcohol, because they can simply negate any drunkness, distasteful flavor and/or hangover with a though, if they even happen in the first place. And having tried alcohol, they might follow that trend to other drugs, because why not? They can get them synthesized without ever harming anyone, can negate any ill effects at request and taking them cannot harm them in any way, shape or form.

When you say "repressed desires and darkest fantasies", I don't think recreational drug use.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Snak posted:

Why would using drugs without consequences be bad?

The worst parts of drug use in real life are the lovely ways that addicts behave to get a fix.

Because they still modify your behavior so that you act unlike yourself when feeling the effects of them.

Klungar posted:

When you say "repressed desires and darkest fantasies", I don't think recreational drug use.

It was a simple example, you could extrapolate ones regarding violence, sexual deviance or social irresponsibility by starting with low level things and working out from there too. If a perfect saint lands in the Good Place and realizes over time that he never feels any pain, cannot functionally die or harm anyone and any injury can be immediately negated what's to stop him experimenting first with consensual fighting of some kind to see how it feels and eventually wrapping around in to going around slicing the poo poo out of people? It won't harm them, but having a guy going around loving with your day and interrupting what you're doing by chopping off arms/heads/whatever for a giggle is a nuisance; see any MMO.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Obviously Janet can just whip you up some soma like from Brave New World. All the high and none of the drawbacks.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

tsob posted:

Because they still modify your behavior so that you act unlike yourself when feeling the effects of them.

But wouldn't feeling eternal bliss work the same way?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cant cook creole bream posted:

But wouldn't feeling eternal bliss work the same way?

If they're on an eternal high they certainly don't act like it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

tsob posted:

If they're on an eternal high they certainly don't act like it.

Well, yeah! That wouldn't be torture after all. The first thing that happens in heaven is a lobotomy. The free mind is the purest form of suffering.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Good people don't do any of that, and only good people make it to The Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Good people aren't born inherently good, they learn to be good via consequence. Which is why removing consequence is a potential problem.

• Locked thread