Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The CRoberts keynote is coming at like 9pm Frankfurt time right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: Fulfilling the Con

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The crowd is riveted.

How will this help me do space things in space?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
has there been any gameplay shown or has it all been intel shilling?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

This is insane. This...is their big event? Holy poo poo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

We implemented a new tech that gives us a ton of bugs so we have to refactor everything. Now, applause!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

They finally figured out how to crush the goon FUD Machine - make it so loving boring nobody will watch it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Look at this fiddly tangential bullshit.

HEY CHRIS? HOW WILL MINING WORK? DESCRIPE A CARREER GAME LOOP PLEASE

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I've seen this 'character's feet touch the ground' stuff in... every other modern game? The MMO I play does this

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

im blacksack

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Warhawk109 posted:

Got a response from BFI about my FOI request:

“Dear **********

I refer to your email dated 10 September 2017. Once again, we would like to apologise for the delayed response. This was due to staff sickness and annual leave.

In response to your request, the information you have requested is deemed commercially sensitive and is therefore withheld in accordance with Section 43 of the FOIA (2000).

Best regards,

FOI Team”

Welp. :negative:

Is there an appeal process? They're taking tax breaks for a project funded by regular people which is supposed to be the "most open development ever". What is commercially sensitive in their description of the game's Britishness?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Nice doxx. So what's the discord?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

I've seen this 'character's feet touch the ground' stuff in... every other modern game? The MMO I play does this

It's basic poo poo.

That look IK BS is like a switch you turn on.

Like they found the button and got all excited and announced it to their parents.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh gently caress. Catalonia just declared independence.

I'm choosing to blame Chris Roberts for this.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The number one priority is for feet to be flat on the ground, even if it means your ankles look broken.
Dat fidelity tho

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

In 2947 we still use sticks for blind people

Suck it Geordi stick your stick in the warp core

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:five::five::five:

Waiting on the "Baba booey baba booey!" stage rush

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

BASIC GEOMETRY COLLISION, amazing!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh god this is the slideshow scene from Red Dwarf, my intelligence chips are melting.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That's quite a collection of mingers and C.H.U.D.s in the audience.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

alphabettitouretti posted:

What's new? Star Citizen is nearly 100% peripheral bullshit.

Well all the other peripherals died with madcatz....how is that custom HOTAS working out. Guess it did work out for them in the end because now it means they can just stick with interactive mouse mode for the plebs and not have to worry about making flight actually work out for stick users.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
opTANE

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there an appeal process? They're taking tax breaks for a project funded by regular people which is supposed to be the "most open development ever". What is commercially sensitive in their description of the game's Britishness?

I’m not sure. Juicey_k_girl also sent one, and being a UK Citizen she might have more luck appealing it if that’s possible. It’s funny because it’s not just a tax “break” it’s more like a subsidy they don’t have to pay back, courtesy of the British tax payer.

Edit: also the “commercially sensitive” bit were probably internal schedules and budgets, which is why we really wanted to get our hands on their application. Personally I just wanted a confirmation that it was SQ42, and not SC that was applied for, in which case F42 must be diligently working on SQ42 100% or they basically lied on their app.

Warhawk109 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 27, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
HAY GUYS LETS IMPRESS THEM BY RENDERING A SMALL PART AS HI REZ AS WE CAN.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
10 Reasons Why Intel’s Bleeding-Edge Optane Drive Is a Rip-Off
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-why-intel-optane-drive-rip-off/

quote:

"Optane costs a fortune per gigabyte. It doesn’t work well with laptops. It doesn’t work with desktops older than 2016. It doesn’t work on non-Intel systems. It’s not a magic bullet for performance. It’s superfluous on an SSD-only system. So what’s the purpose of an Optane cache drive?

There’s just one reason: to pressure you into upgrading your motherboard and processor to Intel’s latest. And in that regard, it fails miserably. There’s no reason to buy it unless you’re looking to get your feet wet with a cutting edge technology.

Right now, only commercial users should purchase Optane. The cache drive is a waste of time. However, it’s worth noting that Intel will bundle 16 GB sticks of Optane along with certain 200-series motherboards. So if you’re in the market for a new high-end motherboard, it might be worth a look. Everyone else interested in Optane, however, should wait until Micron releases QuantX. Not only will competition cause Intel’s ruinous per-gigabyte prices to fall, Micron’s product isn’t a first-generation design."

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
HEY GUYS WE CAN WALK ON THE GROUND! DON'T BELIEVE US? HERE'S OVER AN HOUR LONG VIDEO WE MADE OF US WALKING ON THE GROUND.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Holy poo poo,

The way they are generating the planet surface is so bloated and inefficient.

If I am correct, they are generating like 100's of layers of geometry instanced to use as the boundaries for every physics object. Like SSD Crates or bullet casings or loose tires.

So that's why it's so slow. There isn't just one moon, there's like 1,000's of invisible moons.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The audience broke into applause when they saw the character leaving footprints with a dust effect

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Well the one thing you can be 100% sure of is that Derek has no more inside knowledge whatsoever, because if he di he would have been crowing this Intel bullshit on max blast.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SomethingJones posted:

Optane is one of those things that could be good one day but as it stands right now it's poo poo, and those lucky citizens who just won one will not be able to use them anyway.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Well here's a PARP face I didn't expect to see on top of the mail.

The actual article is a complete puff piece about how the face-over-IP gimmick is totally not a retarded idea you guys, honest! But you can read it over here;
https://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/mcv928_27th_october/18

This poor Commando appears to have become self-aware of the nightmare game he's trapped in.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Even the audience of German auditors looks bored af

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

bandaid.friend posted:

The audience broke into applause when they saw the character leaving footprints with a dust effect

To be fair that impressed me too.
In 2004 when I tried WoW

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Empire on the Move Summary

- Room was pretty much empty because everyone went to play 3.0.

First presentation:
- How to make an NPC look at the player 101. (NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE!)
- No seriously, this is being talked up like it's some breakthrough.
- He runs the basic IK side-by-side with their 'enhanced' version and the difference is negligable.

Second presentation:
- How to animate walking with fidelity.
- how to show characters walking/standing on slopes.
- Character looks like he's walking on two shattered ankles.
- Devs show how they make a character walk on uneven surfaces, stuff that any game has been able to do for several years now.
- Comment about how network-intensive a lot of the animations are.
- How to walk on planetary surfaces, for some insane reason the 'drawn' floor doesn't match up with the 'physics' floor.
- More ~dreams~, "we're not animating for a game, we're animating for a universe". :allears:

- Honestly I can't write much more about this, it was kind of interesting from a technical perspective, I'd imagine, but none of this is anything that hasn't been seen before.
- Crowd was unenthused to begin with but seemed to get more into it near the end.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

that frog in chris's throat makes me want to punch a kitten :negative:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

Different thing, I think. That article is talking about Optane memory, what Crobber is flogging is an SSD.

but https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/11

quote:

the Optane SSD as a consumer/prosumer product only makes sense in a few niches. Most users- even those with relatively intense storage performance needs - will be better served by high quality flash SSDs like the Samsung 960 PRO.

it's still pretty worthless for average people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Calling it now.
The top 10 clips will be mostly past ads for ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Breetai posted:

Well the one thing you can be 100% sure of is that Derek has no more inside knowledge whatsoever, because if he di he would have been crowing this Intel bullshit on max blast.

Intel leaked that surprise like a month ago.