Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

ulvir posted:

finally found a translation of Voyage au bout de la nuit in my native tongue today

I can't see how it would be that hard to find - I remember seeing it in every bookstore in Oslo when I first moved there ten years ago. Try getting your hands on Mort à crédit translated by Mikkel Tin.

Foul Fowl posted:

william faulkner. you'll immediately see the huge influence he's had on mccarthy. he's also unbelievably difficult to read in some of his books, so i would recommend you start with Light in August or As I Lay Dying, they're relatively accessible.

I agree with this, but I definitely recommend As I Lay Dying as the first foray. Light in August is one of them Nobel prize-novels: grand in scope, but more conventional and lacking in nerve and vitality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
gravity's rainbow is on sale for 7.99 kindle edition (normally 22)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

william faulkner. you'll immediately see the huge influence he's had on mccarthy. he's also unbelievably difficult to read in some of his books, so i would recommend you start with Light in August or As I Lay Dying, they're relatively accessible.

Vogler posted:

I agree with this, but I definitely recommend As I Lay Dying as the first foray. Light in August is one of them Nobel prize-novels: grand in scope, but more conventional and lacking in nerve and vitality.

Thanks. I just read about As I Lay Dying and it says it has 15 narrators. Is it tough to keep track of the various voices?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Vogler posted:

I can't see how it would be that hard to find - I remember seeing it in every bookstore in Oslo when I first moved there ten years ago. Try getting your hands on Mort à crédit translated by Mikkel Tin.

its been somewhat absent these past few years now. there’s a bunch of english translations here and there, though.

I'll keep an eye out for mort à crédit

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I just read about As I Lay Dying and it says it has 15 narrators. Is it tough to keep track of the various voices?

no lol the chapters are titled with the narrators names

sanctuary would be another good starting point

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

me your dad posted:

i read that book in one sitting. it‘s one of his easier reads. sanctuary is cool if you like „corn-cobby chronicles“

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Foul Fowl posted:

I'm gonna get me that edition of The Sound and the Fury, from the Folio Society, where it color-codes the different Benjy timelines which is apparently literally what Faulkner ideally wanted to do.

It'll be my first time through it so I figure the coding will help me out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vogler posted:

The short story collection _Go Down, Moses_ is the best place to start with Faulkner. Each story is accessible and they fit together into a whole.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You know there is an oft mentioned literary paragon in this thread who also writes about masculinity and violence in rural areas like McCarthy but hmmmm who could it be

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know there is an oft mentioned literary paragon in this thread who also writes about masculinity and violence in rural areas like McCarthy but hmmmm who could it be

J.R.R. Tolkien.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

William Gass

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yukio mishima

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Marlon James

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

yukio mishima

This one wins

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cervantes

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I ended up going with Light in August, since I somehow already had a copy on my shelf.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

me your dad posted:

I ended up going with Light in August, since I somehow already had a copy on my shelf.

Good plan.

And don't pay attention to that dweeb who said it was "lacking in nerve and vitality," whatever the hell that means. It's loving great, makes no compromises, takes no prisoners. Also it somehow has the best written "action" scene I've read in any book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Faulkner lacks a certain, mmm, jay ne say qua

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

should have been from new orleans imo

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

at the date posted:

Good plan.

And don't pay attention to that dweeb who said it was "lacking in nerve and vitality," whatever the hell that means. It's loving great, makes no compromises, takes no prisoners. Also it somehow has the best written "action" scene I've read in any book.

I would use that phrase to describe "The Sound and the Fury" way more easily than "August". Although I don't know that I like Sound any less than August. Both are incredible.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit : moved to sci fi thread

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 2, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just read A woman of the Iron People. It was an e book from a bundle so I didn't understand how old the it was; I had this impression it was an example of modern, progressive sci-fi, with intriguing themes.

Then, after I'd finished it, I found out it was published in 1991 and my respect for the book doubled. I'm a bit conservative and maybe the book wouldn't be as noteworthy to others, but I was impressed. If you'd pushed aside the dragon lance and expanded universe swill I'd been reading in the 90s to show me this, I couldn't even imagine.

Wrong thread, friend.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
getting near the end of 'love in the time of cholera' and oh, cool twist ending, florintino is a pedophile. great.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I finished Beauty is a Wound and it was okay just okay. Was expecting more from it tbh

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lispector's The World According to G.H. is really cool. I like claustrophobic, one scene philosophical novels like that.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
love in the time of cholera was pr good, just finished it today. the pedophilia at the end was a gross smear on an otherwise highly enjoyable book. what should i start next, eh? ? ?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

derp posted:

love in the time of cholera was pr good, just finished it today. the pedophilia at the end was a gross smear on an otherwise highly enjoyable book. what should i start next, eh? ? ?

lolita

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Ali Smith is very good and has a new book called Winter. You should all go read it aa well as her other books.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

Lispector's The World According to G.H. is really cool. I like claustrophobic, one scene philosophical novels like that.

I have her Collected Stories but haven't managed to get it to the top of my reading pile. What little I've seen of her prose has been really impressive though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mdemone posted:

I have her Collected Stories but haven't managed to get it to the top of my reading pile. What little I've seen of her prose has been really impressive though.

It's like the dreaming chapter of Solaris, except a whole book. Here's some of my favorite bits:

quote:

The demonic precedes the human. And the person who sees that presentness burns as if seeing the God. Prehuman divine life is of a presentness that burns.

quote:

Hell is the mouth that bites and eats the living flesh with its blood, and the one being eaten howls with delight in his eye: hell is pain as delight of the matter, and with the laughter of delight, the tears run in pain. And the tear that comes from the laughter of pain is the opposite of redemption. I was seeing the inexorability of the roach with its ritual mask. I was seeing that that was hell: the cruel acceptance of pain, the solemn lack of pity for one’s own destiny, loving the ritual of life more than one’s own self — that was hell, where the one eating the other’s living face was indulging in the joy of pain.

quote:

The roach with the white matter was looking at me. I don’t know if it was seeing me, I don’t know what a roach sees. But we were looking at each other, and also I don’t know what a woman sees. But if its eyes weren’t seeing me, its existence was existing me — in the primary world I had entered, beings exist others as a way of seeing one another. And in that world I was coming to know, there are several ways that mean seeing: one a looking at the other without seeing him, one possessing the other, one eating the other, one just being in a place and the other being there too: all that also means seeing. The roach wasn’t seeing me directly, it was with me. The roach wasn’t seeing me with its eyes but with its body.

The whole book is just one lady seeing a cockroach and freaking out. It's great.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Antwan3K posted:

Ali Smith is very good and has a new book called Winter. You should all go read it aa well as her other books.

How is it compared to autumn? I liked that book quite a bit.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

already read it. second favorite book i read this year so far

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
read Švejk

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
So there is a new translation of the Odyssey, which is the first ever translated by a woman, Emily Wilson.

First verse is amazing:

quote:

Tell me about a complicated man.
Muse, tell me how he wandered and was lost
when he had wrecked the holy town of Troy,
and where he went, and who he met, the pain
he suffered in the storms at sea, and how
he worked to save his life and bring his men
back home. He failed to keep them safe; poor fools,
they ate the Sun God’s cattle, and the god
kept them from home. Now goddess, child of Zeus,
tell the old story for our modern times.
Find the beginning.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

So there is a new translation of the Odyssey, which is the first ever translated by a woman, Emily Wilson.

First verse is amazing:

I really like it, and I'll get a copy. I wish it was paperback, but that's a really small gripe.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

It's like the dreaming chapter of Solaris, except a whole book. Here's some of my favorite bits:

The whole book is just one lady seeing a cockroach and freaking out. It's great.

if i wanted to read schizophrenic free-association word salad i'd just pick up gertrude stein

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"Tell me about a complicated man" is a simplistic (and unpoetic) translation, especially in light of its predecessors

e:

quote:

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
the wanderer, harried for years on end,

quote:

Tell me, Muse, of the man of many ways, who was driven
far journeys, after he had sacked Troy’s sacred citadel.

quote:

Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns
driven time and again off course, once he had plundered
the hallowed heights of Troy.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 9, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

if i wanted to read schizophrenic free-association word salad i'd just pick up gertrude stein

I'd like to read both of them, personally.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

at the date posted:

"A complicated man" is a pretty simplistic (and unpoetic) translation imo

It's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Find the beginning sounds like an arcade fire song