Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is there any reason to get an Xbox One X over an Xbox One S if all you want it to do is play 4K blu rays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Is there any reason to get an Xbox One X over an Xbox One S if all you want it to do is play 4K blu rays?

No.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

henpod posted:

This TV choosing lark is confusing. Taking my budget into consideration (up to £750), i've got a choice between the Samsung MU6400 or Sony XE7073.

Whilst no one can tell me which one to get, I was wondering if there is anyone with any anecdotal experience with either one. I'm leaning towards the Sony as I prefer the design, but if there is anything in particular that stands out as good/bad in either one, that would make my choice easier!

Mostly general use, for gaming, streaming, movies and watching normal TV...

Cheers xxx

I was asking in this thread a page or two ago in a similar situation: I was debating between the Samsung 6400 and the Sony XE80 and I mostly game and watch the odd TV show or film on the TV, and a very similar budget.

I haven't purchased either yet but they seem very similar, so I'm leaning towards the Samsung myself.

This is a review of the Samsung on the rtings site I was recommended to read:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu7000 (It is called the MU7000 in the USA but it is the MU6400 in the UK).

I think this is the XE70 you were asking about (I'm not fully sure though, the website doesn't list an alternate name):
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e

At the bottom of the review it does a small comparison the MU6400 and says this:

quote:

The MU7000 is a mid-range 4k LED TV from Samsung. It features a wide color gamut for HDR content and has a better picture quality in a dark room than the X720E. It also sports a much more capable smart platform which saves you from having to purchase a standalone device. Both are decent TVs, but the Samsung is a better pick for a dark room, while the X720E is a better pick in a bright room.

I think this is because the Sony is an IPS screen while the Samsung is a VA screen. This is pretty much what it says in the XE80 review too, and why I'm leaning towards the MU6400 myself: I typically only sit directly in front of it and no-one else is around so viewing angles aren't a problem and I usually darken the room while gaming any way. The MU6400 scores slightly higher in gaming/HDR gaming too according to those reviews so that's a plus. Although as I mentioned these TVs are very close in specs to each other so I don't think either would be a mistake.

Also if you were interested to compare this is the XE80 I was thinking about getting (I think it's a slightly upgraded version of the XE70, so a bit more expensive):
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e

I'm by no means an expert though as I asked for advice myself on these recently and this is just what I've picked up doing some research so if I am wrong then I apologise and hopefully someone would be able to correct me!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GreenNight posted:

Old tech vs. new tech. Do you see yourself wanting to play games or something like that? Why not just get a 4k blu ray player?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waltzing Along posted:

Old tech vs. new tech. Do you see yourself wanting to play games or something like that? Why not just get a 4k blu ray player?

Because the players aren't all that much cheaper. The xbox 4k player is supposedly much better and gets firmware updated. I have a Switch and a great gaming PC, so there isn't anything on the xbox that I'd want to play.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

GreenNight posted:

Because the players aren't all that much cheaper. The xbox 4k player is supposedly much better and gets firmware updated. I have a Switch and a great gaming PC, so there isn't anything on the xbox that I'd want to play.

The main benefit to buying an Xbox One as a 4K player is it has that added utility if you ever need it to play games / other apps / media consumption. If you really are 100% going to use it only for 4K Blu Rays then a dedicated player will be better and I'd suggest you go that route in that scenario.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah but the Xbox One isn't all that much more expensive. $100? Yeah I'd go dedicated. But less than $50 for it, that seems like a no brainer to stick with the Xbox.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but the Xbox One isn't all that much more expensive. $100? Yeah I'd go dedicated. But less than $50 for it, that seems like a no brainer to stick with the Xbox.

Unless you're only going to use it for Blu Rays because again, a dedicated player will perform better than the Xbox at that specific task. Maybe even spend a little more than the Xbox would cost to get a nicer one for that specific purpose.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

RoboJoe posted:

I was asking in this thread a page or two ago in a similar situation: I was debating between the Samsung 6400 and the Sony XE80 and I mostly game and watch the odd TV show or film on the TV, and a very similar budget.

I haven't purchased either yet but they seem very similar, so I'm leaning towards the Samsung myself.

This is a review of the Samsung on the rtings site I was recommended to read:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu7000 (It is called the MU7000 in the USA but it is the MU6400 in the UK).

I think this is the XE70 you were asking about (I'm not fully sure though, the website doesn't list an alternate name):
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e

At the bottom of the review it does a small comparison the MU6400 and says this:

I think this is because the Sony is an IPS screen while the Samsung is a VA screen. This is pretty much what it says in the XE80 review too, and why I'm leaning towards the MU6400 myself: I typically only sit directly in front of it and no-one else is around so viewing angles aren't a problem and I usually darken the room while gaming any way. The MU6400 scores slightly higher in gaming/HDR gaming too according to those reviews so that's a plus. Although as I mentioned these TVs are very close in specs to each other so I don't think either would be a mistake.

Also if you were interested to compare this is the XE80 I was thinking about getting (I think it's a slightly upgraded version of the XE70, so a bit more expensive):
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e

I'm by no means an expert though as I asked for advice myself on these recently and this is just what I've picked up doing some research so if I am wrong then I apologise and hopefully someone would be able to correct me!

Thanks for this. Its easy to get obsessive over all the small stuff. Still no idea what I will get - may well end up just flipping a coin.

Just to confuse you more, someone who is very knowledgable at the AV Forums said this about the Samsung:

quote:

Avoid the Samsung MU6 TVs at 55" they likely use inferior PLS type panels and also use 3:2 pulldown to play films so they exhibit 3:2 pulldown judder.

My topic is here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-mu6400-or-sony-xe7073.2130494/

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 2, 2017

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

henpod posted:

Thanks for this. Its easy to get obsessive over all the small stuff. Still no idea what I will get - may well end up just flipping a coin.

Just to confuse you more, someone who is very knowledgable at the AV Forums said this about the Samsung:

My topic is here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-mu6400-or-sony-xe7073.2130494/

Aha nice, I’ll check your topic out, it might give me some help too.

I don’t think what you quoted would affect me though as I can only afford (and have space for) up to 50 inches. So for the 43 or 49 I think much like you it’s pretty much a coin flip, but still, the Samsung appeals to me slightly more (plus it’s £50 or so cheaper than the Sony I was considering :v: ).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A dedicated player will take up less space and use less power than a bone. Also, it will boot up and shut down faster and will most likely have an easier remote with a better features set.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

I really like the X900 reviews but the one thing that irks me is how high the lag is (34ms). I have been gaming on computer monitors and a Sony KDL-47W802A (15-20ms). Is the 15ms really worth it between the X720E and the better picture but higher lag of the X900? This TV is going to be strictly gaming. It just seems between all the TV's in the 43-49 category I can't find that sweet spot between HDR gaming/low input lag and picture quality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's valid. I'm just worried some new feature will come out that Microsoft will patch their poo poo for but the standalone player will not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve found my xbone to be an ok player, but agree with the negatives people have brought up - you really need the remote as the controller bites and times out while watching movies, so pausing takes about 30 seconds as you wait for it to wake up, resync, go into menu, pause etc.

Also I’ve found its pickier about discs than real players and I still haven’t been able to get my copy of The Revenant to work. I think it’s gotten better, but still.

It’s an ok Plex box but missing features id expect, and I find I have to wrestle with it too much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I guess I'm spoiled by my PS3 being a pretty great blu ray player.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can hear your movies over the sound of the fans?!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can pick up a BDP7501 off of Amazon for $160 now and it's a fantastic player.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You can pick up a BDP7501 off of Amazon for $160 now and it's a fantastic player.

And that's fine, considering it isn't the DV ready model?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, I would like to eventually get a DV player, but the choices aren't very good right now. You either pay videophile prices for the Oppo or have like two other choices (one of which had the firmware pulled the last I saw.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm still happy with mine, although as I have a Samsung set I don't have DV, but it's worked well for me for about a year now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am wary about getting an xbox one as an uhd player because everyone said the ps3 was the “best” bluray player and I found it to be a huge piece of poo poo.

Twice I went to watch a movie and had to wait while it did a multi-gig update because I hadn’t turned it on for a bit.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is the Sony XBR55X900E a good Television? It's $400 off at a ton of places, and I'm looking to get a new TV for my apartment.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 2, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now I've got a Switch, I'm tempted to sell the Bone and get a dedicated player... but I've also just renewed Access for a year and I'd like to play a bit more NHL, Forza Horizon and GTA. Argh, I know it'll mainly just collect dust.

Maybe when the dedicateds hit $99, I've only got a handful of discs anyway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Waltzing Along posted:

A dedicated player will take up less space and use less power than a bone. Also, it will boot up and shut down faster and will most likely have an easier remote with a better features set.

No argument on the other parts, but who cares about what remote a home theater device comes with? Buy a nice universal once and never deal with the garbage most vendors include again.

I got 11 years out of my Harmony 880 before the battery wore out enough that it started to get annoying. It still works, but I was able to pick up a Harmony 700 to replace it for $50 on sale so I figured why not.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fadam posted:

Is the Sony XBR55X900E a good Television? It's $400 off at a ton of places, and I'm looking to get a new TV for my apartment.

bull3964 posted:

Not at all, the X900E is one of this thread's recommended TVs. It just can be hard to justify the price compared to the budget options.

For a refresher, from least to most expensive. This is the 'goon list'.

TCL P605/7 (55" only)
Vizio 2017 M Series (really only if you want 65" since the TCL isn't in that size)
Sony X900E
Sony X930E
LG OLED

Otherwise, if you want the cheapest at pretty much any size point without getting garbage, buy a Vizio E series.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

so pausing takes about 30 seconds as you wait for it to wake up, resync, go into menu, pause etc.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14030

They have a MP branded one too, or did, which I got for the gfs Xbone and it works fine. Think it was 11 or 12 bucks or something .

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the past 28 years, whenever i've bought a TV i'd immediately felt remorse and want a new one. Three months ago I bought the Sony x900e and never felt remorse and still don't; it's a akick rear end tv and it's onyl downsides are no Dolby Vision and Android TV is poo poo. Other than that it's worth every penny.

Right now it's at my house in Florida and i've been away from it for like 2 months and it hurts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

codo27 posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14030

They have a MP branded one too, or did, which I got for the gfs Xbone and it works fine. Think it was 11 or 12 bucks or something .

Yeah that was the remote I was referring to.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What'd be the best costco TV, 49-55 inches to get? The 55 or 49 TLC? I maybe watch 3 hours of TV a week is all.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

For the past 28 years, whenever i've bought a TV i'd immediately felt remorse and want a new one. Three months ago I bought the Sony x900e and never felt remorse and still don't; it's a akick rear end tv and it's onyl downsides are no Dolby Vision and Android TV is poo poo. Other than that it's worth every penny.

Right now it's at my house in Florida and i've been away from it for like 2 months and it hurts.

I'm considering an X900E, would you mind going into more detail your opinions on Android TV?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I just started the annual Black Friday HDTV megathread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839412

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

fadam posted:

Where is it on sale for $400 off? Might need to jump on that.

Alternatively, if I’m about to drop ~$1300 on a TV. Is there a better tv than this for similar money? I’ll be using an Apple TV 4K and an Xbox One X so I’m not too worried about the lovely Android tv software. Would I miss the Dolby Vision support?

Edit: hmm, the X930E is not that much more and apparently will get Dolby Vision support in a firmware update later. Hopefully it goes on sale for Black Friday. Anyone got a link to the best price on it? The 55 inch is about $1600 on Amazon, is that typically the lowest it will get?

Biodome fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 3, 2017

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I am in the market for a TV now that I am making some reasonable money. I'd love something obnoxious and awesome for my apartment wall. I'd be willing to go as high as $1,000, and while I am awaiting Black Friday / Cyber Monday, this popped up in Coupons and Deals:

Samsung Electronics UN65MU6500 Curved 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV for $929.99.

Pull the trigger for movie watching and SNES Classic'ing or are the odds in my favor for a Black Friday deal that beats this?

I love everyone in this thread for their knowledge and help. Thank you!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you’re mounting something to a wall I wouldn’t get a curved anything.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Roger that. Thanks! I'm not against having it on a stand, either.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm just gonna wait until after Thanksgiving. Any deal like this - even if it's good - should reappear or be eclipsed when the holiday deals roll out.

This thread is great and also ruins me for watching TV because now I'm paying attention to all sorts of stuff I normally wouldn't.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 4, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Curved TVs are mostly pointless because you generally sit far enough away from them that the curve really doesn't matter all that much. It's when the screen takes up a significant part of your horizontal FOV that curved screens actually start to matter. 34" ultrawide PC monitors for example basically have to be curved otherwise they kinda suck to use at a standard desktop distance. They also typically have much greater curves than a TV. A 65" TV that's 3-5 times further from your eyes isn't going to see nearly the same benefits while still dealing with the potential problems (particularly backlight uniformity issues).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
That stands to reason and makes perfect sense. This won't be living in a dorm room, that's for sure.

Come on, Thanksgiving. Get here so I can splurge!

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Costco will have the 55” LG for $1649 and the 65” for $2649 during November 17-27. I’d hoped it would be just a little bit lower, but I’ll probably bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

the good fax machine posted:

Costco will have the 55” LG for $1649 and the 65” for $2649 during November 17-27. I’d hoped it would be just a little bit lower, but I’ll probably bite.

You can get the 65” B7 from Best Buy right now for $2599.