Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rotoworld posted:

Profootballtalk.com reports Browns co-owner Dee Haslam went "nuclear" on the team's front office after it nixed Tuesday's failed A.J. McCarron trade.

Based on a collection of national and local reports on the topic, it appears as if Browns ownership has taken the side of Hue Jackson over the front office. Jackson spent time with McCarron in Cincinnati and was the driving force behind Tuesday's trade talks. Multiple reports also indicate the front office -- known to be at odds with Jackson -- was the driving force behind the trade not going through. Ownership will ultimately decide the front office's fate. At present, it's not looking good for Sashi Brown, Paul DePodesta, and company. Jackson appears to have won the power struggle, for better or (more likely) worse.

Hue is a way better politician than head coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hue has given up on coaching and is gonna coup his way to owner.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I love that it's going nuclear during their loving bye week

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Benne posted:

Much as Hue sucks this season if only 1 of those groups wins I'm glad it's him. Statistics lawyer was never qualified.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

"Chaos is a ladder"

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
It's like trying to be king over a kingdom of poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hue Macbeth

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

From the last page:
Wait...did the Browns ever beat the Patriots since they were necro'd?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Benne posted:

I like that when I first read the story on the failed trade I thought "what is the most Brown's poo poo possible for how this went down?" and I wasn't disappointed. Haslam is a treasure.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

From the last page:
Wait...did the Browns ever beat the Patriots since they were necro'd?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?tm1=cle&tm2=nwe&yr=all

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best was this game: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312080nwe.htm

With 2:39 left in the game, the Browns score a TD to go up 26-14.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Hue also got in an extravagant power struggle during his brief Raiders tenure involving a trade for another Bengals quarterback. It is the one thing he is semi-competent at.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Colt McCoy could have been great if he didn't end up on the Browns (and also get concussed into the next year)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Benne posted:

Didn't he lose that kind of battle pretty cleanly in Oakland? I remember that being the talk when he was fired after a pretty decent season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Peyton Hillis actually provided like one of my two favorite BB moments.

He beat the Patriots almost singlehandedly when they could not stop him for less than seven yards a carry. It was just man football, and the Patriots couldn't stop it.

Bill went to Peyton directly after the game to shake his hand.

The other BB moment was of course the Wildcat game where he freaked out because he knew exactly what to do to shut it down but couldn't possibly install a new defense mid game.

quote:

When the scoreboard clock finally showed zeros, Patriots Coach Bill Belichick walked slowly across the torn-up field to meet Eric Mangini, his protégé and estranged friend, amid a swarm of players and photographers.

Belichick found Mangini, looked him in the eye and offered his hand.

“I congratulated him,” he said.

It was all he could do. On Sunday, Mangini’s Browns were better. A lot better.

The rookie quarterback Colt McCoy scrambled for a touchdown and did not make any mistakes, Peyton Hillis ran for a career-high 184 yards and 2 touchdowns and the vastly improved Browns, using a little trickery and a lot of offensive imagination, pounded the Patriots, 34-14.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Brian Hoyer was the backup in this game. Time is a flat circle

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

Hue also got in an extravagant power struggle during his brief Raiders tenure involving a trade for another Bengals quarterback. It is the one thing he is semi-competent at.

I don't think I'd call the Raiders thing a power struggle so much as just taking the reigns when there was no one who felt like they could tell him no. Maybe I'm forgetting something and there was some strong voice in that front office who he was fighting with after Al Davis died.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

There's really shockingly very little about it online. If I remember correctly Al Davis died, Hue Jackson just more or less assumed the GM powers, and then made that terrible Carson Palmer trade. When the Raiders hired Reggie McKenzie to permanently fill the GM position he didn't even wait until the ink was done drying before firing Hue. I feel like that doesn't happen unless they are multiple people in that organization, including Mark Davis, who intensely disliked Hue.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Simplex posted:

There's really shockingly very little about it online. If I remember correctly Al Davis died, Hue Jackson just more or less assumed the GM powers, and then made that terrible Carson Palmer trade. When the Raiders hired Reggie McKenzie to permanently fill the GM position he didn't even wait until the ink was done drying before firing Hue. I feel like that doesn't happen unless they are multiple people in that organization, including Mark Davis, who intensely disliked Hue.

Amy Trask speaks highly of Hue on Twitter, and I’ll take her word over Mark Davis’ eleven times out of ten.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Disband Browns to make way for terrible England expansion

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think I'd call the Raiders thing a power struggle so much as just taking the reigns when there was no one who felt like they could tell him no. Maybe I'm forgetting something and there was some strong voice in that front office who he was fighting with after Al Davis died.

The problem went back to 2010 when Hue was, in retrospect, absolutely undermining Tom Cable and presumably manipulating Al Davis’s desperation. Thereafter, Hue’s authority was excessive and even if there was not a “power struggle” at the time of the trade, his role was not welcome in the new FO.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 2, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The entire Browns organization needs to be purged root and branch. No top football guy worth hiring will accept anybody that's working there right now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why not just sign short term bad QB after the season? Trading makes no sense for a 0 16 team

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Ignoring everything else I think have a first year head coach like Hue who had made such a big trade like the Palmer one, wasn't a dynamic any new front office would want going forward. Especially when you consider the entire reconstruction of a scouting department the Raiders required.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

They could just sign Colin Kaepernick this season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know at this point it's largely splitting hairs, but who's seat is hotter, Pagano's or Jackson's?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

iospace posted:

I know at this point it's largely splitting hairs, but who's seat is hotter, Pagano's or Jackson's?

Well Pagano is a dead man walking, so probably his.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Not to mention that Hue seems to be in the owners' favor

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hue going 2-30 and still getting another year because he cozied up to ownership would be pretty close to peak Browns

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

iospace posted:

Hue's seat is hotter, but while he's sitting on an oven at 400 degrees the owner is focusing on the fact that the entire house is made of fire.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Yeah, as much as Hue has cocked up, it's conceivable(particularly given this embarrassing McCarron situation) that Haslam will blame his front office and absolve Hue. There is some logic to that, but it's not very sound once you look at how the Browns have performed on the football field.
On the other hand, it was baffling that the Colts didn't fire Pagano. This has been true for two years now, and Luck being dead has exposed how little Grigson or Pagano has contributed to the team's past success.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Reminder that Ryan Grigson now works for...The Browns!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Maybe Haslam can bring in Millen as a consultant.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Hue’s seat is the Chernobyl reactor and the trade attempt was the insertion of the control rods.

Pagano’s seat already melted away underneath him.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I don't think it matters who is more to blame right now, everyone on the Browns is fired after this season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

Hue’s seat is the Chernobyl reactor and the trade attempt was the insertion of the control rods.

The Browns organization is of course the Chernobyl facility here.

Actually that might not be fair, Chernobyl worked for a while.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Chernobyl also revitalized the local landscape!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder, if you combined the Colts and Browns organization would there be enough competent people to run one football team?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

Hey we were good till the 90's

• Locked thread