Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also postgres owns

postgis is really cool, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
Does anyone have any experience/advice for building auto-updating stuff in C#? I got dropped into this massive codebase after the sole developer left and it has been a trip so far. The application runs on machines owned by our customers and the idea is that our customers are too dumb or don't have actual access to the machines so it constantly polls an azure webservice for changes in configuration or updates to the application. Currently this involves one of two windows services (Updater or UpdaterUpdater depending on which of the ~7 other application services are being updated) doing a bunch of Process.Start() calls to try and kill all of the running services, then pulling down a chilkat self-extracting exe that dumps the updated binaries. Then it shuffles around a bunch of dlls that it has loaded through reflection and then does several more Process.Start() calls to get everything running again. In my two weeks or so working on this I've seen it update successfully maybe like 30% of the time and it makes deploying any new code stressful as gently caress since the guy wrote his own logging framework that has its own set of problems making it real difficult to see what step things broke on.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

it's supported in everything except IE, Edge, and Opera Mini, so that's 90% of users. good enough for me

Dang, I have this poo poo dotted around, it looks like something off Snack.
JavaScript code:
let qd = {};
if (location.search) {
        location.search.substr(1).split`&`.forEach(item => {
                let [k,v] = item.split`=`;
                v = v && decodeURIComponent(v);
                (qd[k] = qd[k] || []).push(v);
        });
}

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

elcannon posted:

Does anyone have any experience/advice for building auto-updating stuff in C#? I got dropped into this massive codebase after the sole developer left and it has been a trip so far. The application runs on machines owned by our customers and the idea is that our customers are too dumb or don't have actual access to the machines so it constantly polls an azure webservice for changes in configuration or updates to the application. Currently this involves one of two windows services (Updater or UpdaterUpdater depending on which of the ~7 other application services are being updated) doing a bunch of Process.Start() calls to try and kill all of the running services, then pulling down a chilkat self-extracting exe that dumps the updated binaries. Then it shuffles around a bunch of dlls that it has loaded through reflection and then does several more Process.Start() calls to get everything running again. In my two weeks or so working on this I've seen it update successfully maybe like 30% of the time and it makes deploying any new code stressful as gently caress since the guy wrote his own logging framework that has its own set of problems making it real difficult to see what step things broke on.

Maybe try ClickOnce. It can be set to require updating at each run and then internally you could have it check for updates and then kill itself or alert the user to restart it.

Unless these are like web applications in which case lol good luck

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Even as bad as mysql is, it's still way better than mongoloid.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beldantazar posted:

Even as bad as mysql is, it's still way better than mongoloid.
pls tell if this was an autocorrect so i know whether to lol or tut

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

current tp s: all my stories get sized 2 or 3, everyone else gets sized 8 or 13

how close am i to being fired?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

seems odd that stories get assigned to a dev before they get estimated imo

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
shipped a crash on launch today :toot:

carry on then posted:

all the stories are the same ur just a 4x programmer! more like how close to a promotion imo

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

what is a story and how does it have a size

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

what is a story and how does it have a size

features and workload

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why is it so loving hard to deploy a .net app that connects to oracle to a customer machine that doesn't have an oracle client installed

i've tried every combination of dlls and project settings i can think of and find on the internet and i keep getting exceptions trying to create a new OracleConnection object

i'm going insane

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

just means you're getting things that have been split up into a lot of little tasks while everyone else is getting big things that aren't being split up into bite-size pieces

most likely it's just a coincidence

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Your probability of getting fired is always inversely proportional to your desire to leave your current job

Needless to say I'm feeling pretty loving confident about my continued employment

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
what the gently caress does a 4 point ticket represent? time? complexity? either way that's a stupid sizing

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

yeah its extract, transform, load. irl its about taking the terrible garbage poo poo trash your client sends you and contorting it to suit your needs. its also about handling the many failures that will occur when the client sends the wrong data, sends invalid data, doesn't send data, or any of 100 other gently caress ups they'll explore.

when the client wants to know why X didn't happen because it was definitely on the file load, you are the one that gets to explain to them how it wasn't actually on the file load and heres the client's file that they sent that clearly doesn't have X on it.

but you get to use nice tools like SSIS which makes things easy

thanks shaggar! i'd somehow gotten it into my head that etl was some enterprise doublespeak nonsense

it's relevant to my work interests because we have an awful lot of integrations running. each is a unique special snowflake with its own logging, validation, error handing, and reporting, written by devs of varying skill and fucks-given, possibly under ridiculous deadlines. maybe they looked at performance with more than 10 items, maybe not

everything is developed here due to absurd NIH syndrome. run a task at a certain time each day? custom scheduler! copy a file from ftp? copy some code from somewhere! or don't! use .NET's file stuff directly! or use this crappy library! schema validation? if you want! csv parsing? String.Split! or another crappy library!

the best part is how 99% of these integrations are run by calling an ASP.NET handler - meaning the integration runs in-process and are subject to normal ASP.NET request timeouts. except for the ones that bothered to increase the request timeout through code

strangely enough, our ops team is constantly loving bombarded with integration failure emails (email being the primary and quite probably only failure notification method). they've adopted a policy of not caring much unless someone complains. i don't have as issue with that policy since they're buried by other poo poo going wrong all the time - take a guess at how the rest of the codebase looks and performs

the most motivated and optimistic ops guy wants to fix this absurd situation - inevitably by designing and writing some homegrown framework that will Fix The World. he's a great guy and a great dev, but he simply loves handcrafting his own stuff rather than looking at existing solutions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Blinkz0rz posted:

what the gently caress does a 4 point ticket represent? time? complexity? either way that's a stupid sizing

it’s a relative figure and has no meaning outside the sizing of all the other stories the squad is working. getting this through the head of offering management is an ongoing project

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Depressing Box posted:

You could use URLSearchParams, though you'll need a polyfill for IE.

Holy hell I should have asked here first. What I found on the internet and from the UI guys at my workplace was a variety of answers that looked like this:

MrMoo posted:

JavaScript code:
let qd = {};
if (location.search) {
        });
}

God drat the last thing I want to do when trying to cozy up to a language is enumerate all the edge cases for encoding maps into strings and vice versa.

Also lol @ "Snack", never heard that before.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cheekio posted:

Holy hell I should have asked here first. What I found on the internet and from the UI guys at my workplace was a variety of answers that looked like this:

God drat the last thing I want to do when trying to cozy up to a language is enumerate all the edge cases for encoding maps into strings and vice versa.

Also lol @ "Snack", never heard that before.

you've never heard of jeff fatwood of snack overflow? shame.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

reminder.

https://twitter.com/codinghorror/status/299550053968793600?lang=en

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

MrMoo posted:

JavaScript code:
let qd = {};
if (location.search) {
        });
}

edit: thought the functionName`template` thing was syntactic sugar but it's much weirder even though there's no reason to do this here

also you need to run decodeURIComponent on k as well as v

There Will Be Penalty fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 3, 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

carry on then posted:

it’s a relative figure and has no meaning outside the sizing of all the other stories the squad is working. getting this through the head of offering management is an ongoing project

Yeah the intention is that it's completely arbitrary and is only used so that you can talk about some tasks being bigger than others

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

baby steps: you can now make a server-side aspnet core website and then deploy it as an electron app.

meaning you can write electron apps using c# razor templating (or any other templating that can run on aspnetcore) instead of javashit. paging shaggar, shaggar to the thread

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 3, 2017

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Ciaphas posted:

holy loving lmao, coldfusion

W O W that's a blast from the past

my company's main product is written in coldfusion and is actively maintained

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

how can people gently caress up a merge so bad? I suck at using svn but even I know that merging a branch to trunk should *probably* include all the folders in the branch and not just the ones that were additive only but no, they merged about 50%of the changes and then took a new branch that unsurprisingly didn't work
it's not the peoples' fault. it's because svn is absolute garbage at merging branches.

if you want to merge a branch in svn, my unironic advice is to recreate the commits in git, merge it in git, then push that to the svn repository

this is the point where you start questioning the usefulness of svn if merging a branch is considered a complicated topic that people can trivially gently caress up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

'string' or "string"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

'string' or "string"

in general? if you do 'string' then how do you define char literals?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

in general? if you do 'string' then how do you define char literals?

in python. i don't think ive worked in anything that distinguishes between strings and chars

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in python. i don't think ive worked in anything that distinguishes between strings and chars

just lol. who gives a gently caress in python then, nothing means anything.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

just lol. who gives a gently caress in python then, nothing means anything.

i know, which is why im curious if there's some jaor convention about this, as i havent seen any beyond "just stick to using one of either"

next dumb q: what do authors mean when they say "my framework is declarative"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if your string contains ', use "". if your string contains ", use ''. if your string contains both, use """"""".

also holy gently caress that sucked to type in a phone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

if your string contains ', use "". if your string contains ", use ''. if your string contains both, use """"""".

also holy gently caress that sucked to type in a phone.

whoa

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i know, which is why im curious if there's some jaor convention about this, as i havent seen any beyond "just stick to using one of either"

next dumb q: what do authors mean when they say "my framework is declarative"

declarative programming is a style where your variables are generally immutable, often is more functional/side-effect light.
so you might do like

code:
def circle = new Circle(2)
def transform = new Translate(0.1, 2)
def transformedCircle = new Circle(circle, transform)
draw(transformedCircle)
as opposed to something like opengl's implicit state machine

code:
applyTransform(0.1, 2)
drawCircle(2)
doOtherThing()

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

code:
applyTransform(0.1, 2)
drawCircle(2)
doOtherThing()
:barf:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

if you don't want to escape a bunch of characters, use raw:

r"this is my string full of bullshit characters"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i generally prefer declarative because it means that your state is represented in actual objects that you can interact with instead of having to inspect the mutable state of objects.

think the builder pattern like

code:
let customisedFoo = new Foo().withButt().withFart();
vs
code:
let customisedFoo = new Foo();
customisedFoo.addButt();
customisedFoo.addFart();

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

i generally prefer declarative because it means that your state is represented in actual objects that you can interact with instead of having to inspect the mutable state of objects.

think the builder pattern like

let customisedFoo = new Foo().withButt().withFart();

vs

let customisedFoo = new Foo();
customisedFoo.addButt();
customisedFoo.addFart();

same. it maybe doesn't look as slick, but there are fixed anchors for everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ultravoices posted:

if you don't want to escape a bunch of characters, use raw:

r"this is my string full of bullshit characters"
i like this much better, ty for mentioning. haven't done p much anything related to strings more complicated than "Plot title" or parsing "1234,4124.53 USD" to floats

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
on the other hand, "declarative" is one of the words that's used by fart-huffers too so as soon as you see something like "declarative minimal embedded dsl" then it's time to start being a little sceptical.

hey tef, does your bullshit programming dictionary have "embedded" in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i like this much better, ty for mentioning. haven't done p much anything related to strings more complicated than "Plot title" or parsing "1234,4124.53 USD" to floats

There is a lot of useful stuff sort of squirreled away in the methods. str.format() does all the heavy lifting but it's not obvious, you have to read examples or the docs.

• Locked thread