Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
Duffers on Episode 7: Whether it works for people or not, it allows us to experiment a little bit, it's important for Ross and I to try stuff and not feel like we're doing the same thing over and over again. It's almost like doing a whole little other pilot episode in the middle of your season…

Our test of the episode was we tried to pull it out of the show just to make sure that we needed it because I didn't want it in there as filler — even though some critics are accusing us of doing that. But Eleven's journey kind of fell apart, like the ending didn't work, without it. So I was like, whether this works or not, we need this building block in here or the whole show is going to collapse. It's not going to end well.

So, spin-off show? Or a forced season-arching story line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I love Winona Ryder.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

pixelpusherbot posted:

Duffers on Episode 7: Whether it works for people or not, it allows us to experiment a little bit, it's important for Ross and I to try stuff and not feel like we're doing the same thing over and over again. It's almost like doing a whole little other pilot episode in the middle of your season…

Our test of the episode was we tried to pull it out of the show just to make sure that we needed it because I didn't want it in there as filler — even though some critics are accusing us of doing that. But Eleven's journey kind of fell apart, like the ending didn't work, without it. So I was like, whether this works or not, we need this building block in here or the whole show is going to collapse. It's not going to end well.

So, spin-off show? Or a forced season-arching story line?

I told my wife it felt like a bad pilot for a spin-off while we were watching it, but it's a really forced sub-plot right in the climax of action (literally placed after a cliffhanger that isn't resolved until episode 8) so both. They could have easily had Eleven come to the same conclusion after visiting Mama.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I love Winona Ryder.

I will never marry, but Lydia Deetz is forever my waifu.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only reason Eleven's story wouldn't make sense if you dropped episode 7 is that she'd show up looking a little different.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Episode 7 was a lot of fun! Felt a bit silly to put all that in one episode admittedly, but I look forward to what they do there.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I love Winona Ryder.

I hate bitch rear end Will, which makes it hard to not hate Joyce when every one of her scenes is just her being hysterical over him.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drunken officeparty posted:

I hate bitch rear end Will, which makes it hard to not hate Joyce when every one of her scenes is just her being hysterical over him.

will owns but even he didn't, not loving winona ryder is a cardinal sin

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

A problem this season was some of the dynamics are too samey: Joyce freaking out about her son and doing Close Encounter poo poo in her house, the parts where El's sad in the wilderness, Mike mopey and emo about Will and Eleven, Nancy and Jonathan off on a caper.

Especially since about all of the new dynamics are good, like Hopper and Eleven, Babysitter Steve, etc.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I thought the finale was the worst episode of the season.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I didn't understand what exactly 11 was 'closing' in the big climax part. They go down on the elevator thing to this big glowing redyellow place, but earlier didn't the doctor take Officer Manly down the same elevator and it just went to the tunnel system? I thought the gate that had to be closed was the open barrier thing directly across from the scientist booth.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I didn't understand what exactly 11 was 'closing' in the big climax part. They go down on the elevator thing to this big glowing redyellow place, but earlier didn't the doctor take Officer Manly down the same elevator and it just went to the tunnel system? I thought the gate that had to be closed was the open barrier thing directly across from the scientist booth.

It's all the same gate. The Hawkins lab personnel could only see the part of the gate at the top. To avoid being burned out and to expand, the Mind Flayer (or whatever) extended the gate directly down through the floor - in "The Spy," about 13 minutes in, Paul Reiser's character gives his talk about how all living organisms develop defense mechanisms and here it did it by extending through the ground underneath the lab - it's implied that they tore up the floor and installed the elevator that they go down in "The Spy" when the lab personnel realized the gate extended further (it's why the hole at the top still has rubble around it when Owens takes Hopper down to see the gate/tunnels under the lab, it was freshly installed).

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 3, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I agree with this. I was hoping we could see Will more as a character since he pretty much had ten minutes of normality in the first season, but instead he just ends up being a plot device again and is possessed for half the season. And while I love Joyce, she had more than enough screentime and great moments from the first season, and I was also hoping a different parent of the boys would step up and get poo poo done, but all of them still remain oblivious to all the poo poo going on around them in the end.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There's zero chance I'm reading this entire thread but what do people reckon will come of the demodog in the freezer? It has to be relevant given the time they dedicated to showing it being done. I think Dustin will try to get famous off it and someone will recognize it and then they'll reveal some whole other gate to the Upside Down that exists in like, Alabama, or whatever, and we'll go to a new locale to fight the baddies

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yates posted:

I thought the finale was the worst episode of the season.

Did you want something dark and edgy with piles of dead main characters?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Wamsutta posted:

There's zero chance I'm reading this entire thread but what do people reckon will come of the demodog in the freezer? It has to be relevant given the time they dedicated to showing it being done. I think Dustin will try to get famous off it and someone will recognize it and then they'll reveal some whole other gate to the Upside Down that exists in like, Alabama, or whatever, and we'll go to a new locale to fight the baddies

Nothing. It was one more comic scene for Steve and Dustin, and the ending is "one month later" after they did that, so I'd think they'd have said something about it.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

Big ol' bbq. Demodog's good eatin.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Wamsutta posted:

It’s just laying groundwork for Dustin to be a famous wildlife biologist in Season 5 when the show does an homage to the second part of IT and the party returns to Hawkins as adults to fight the Upside Downizens one last time. Sigourney Weaver will play Eleven, who has been trapped in the other reality for decades.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Woodchip posted:

Big ol' bbq. Demodog's good eatin.

S3 opens in Will's back yard, demodog being rotated on a spit over a camp fire while Stan Bush's 'The Touch' plays from a nearby boombox.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
You know, after all the talk about the Red Menace :ussr: in the first two seasons I wonder if they'll actually have the Soviets show up in some way in Season 3.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Season 3 has the dramatic introduction of одиннадцать!

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Did you want something dark and edgy with piles of dead main characters?

No but it seemed to be building toward something more than what we got. That's just how I felt.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I was also hoping a different parent of the boys would step up and get poo poo done, but all of them still remain oblivious to all the poo poo going on around them in the end.

Yeah, and Mike's mum was Samaritan's top assassin in person of interest, so we know she can get poo poo done.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Episode 7 was fine you dorks

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

A problem this season was some of the dynamics are too samey: Joyce freaking out about her son and doing Close Encounter poo poo in her house, the parts where El's sad in the wilderness, Mike mopey and emo about Will and Eleven, Nancy and Jonathan off on a caper.

Yeah, the retreads go on and on. Will is still a victim, Steve is still a good-hearted jerk with an on-again/off-again relationship, Barb is still a corpse, etc.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

it's a plot hole that will be filled up next season

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Everyone who hates episode 7 was it the concept or it just not being a Good Episode?

Because I loved the concept, another angle of 80's cinema references but in the 80's Urban Gang Jungle where everyone has dumb mohawks kind of way. The episode itself though I just felt didnt go anywhere.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This was mostly a copy->paste of S1. New characters didn't actually do anything except Max acting as a recipient of info dumps making sure the audience was up to speed and giving the other characters something to bounce off of. Episode 7 was completely terrible. The ending was unfulfilling, the imagery of the giant smoky what the gently caress never really pays off. How do you have El basically resolve the threat AGAIN in basically the exact same way. Ugh. Dustin is maybe the most dangerous idiot in the history of fiction.

Show's carried by charismatic actors. If Steve dies, the show dies.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

massive spider posted:

Everyone who hates episode 7 was it the concept or it just not being a Good Episode?

Because I loved the concept, another angle of 80's cinema references but in the 80's Urban Gang Jungle where everyone has dumb mohawks kind of way. The episode itself though I just felt didnt go anywhere.

IT LOOKED like it should have been interesting, but didn't remotely pay off.

You can literally make people see anything, but you're too stupid to consider the implications and use of that and live like this? Why do you kill people with a GUN instead of making them see something terrible and torturing them with what they did? Think more like The Shadow.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also loled at 008 using her powers to put up a giant fake magneto wall instead of like I don’t know a vision of their van speeding in the other direction.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

I think a lot of the backlash is not just the episode itself (which was mediocre but not that offensive, and had a fun concept like you say) but the potential for more of the same going forward.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think they need to branch out, how many times can that dumbass town be almost destroyed before it becomes comical?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't really want a movie-science explanation of how the upside down is quarks escaping gravity via quantum fields or whatever the gently caress, but I do want to know who or what if anything is the big bad guy. S1 there was only the demogorgon, but now apparently that was just like one dude that lives there? Is the shadow thing the ultimate power? Is it going to get killed then they find a super double shadow thing was really the boss?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Is it going to get killed then they find a super double shadow thing was really the boss?
It'll just be big shadow monsters all the way down.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Humans were the true monsters the whole time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

Humans were the true monsters the whole time.
Considering it seems like the smokey Eldritch Abomination can't defeat El, that may not be entirely untrue.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 3, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

massive spider posted:

Kind of both? I mean first off I thought it was just pretty badly done (I've mentioned the dialogue already) so I'll leave that aside.

I was all about Eleven meeting Eight and seeing what kind of dynamic they might have and learning more about the experiments and potentially others who were in there in theory. I was not excited about Eight's silly posse even if only about half of them were bad characters. I absolutely disliked the concept of them comparing powers and showing off powers and training powers and talking about how their powers made them special and so on and so forth. You might say this was inevitable both due to what would naturally come up in conversation and simply the popularity of superhero stuff these days, and so in that way the concept also disagreed with me. You can't make superhero stuff interesting to me no matter how well executed it is. To me Eleven is always more fun to watch when there's nothing supernatural involved in the scene already, whether with the boys or Hopper or what-have-you.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Insurrectionist posted:

superhero stuff

It's this. I hate the idea of this poo poo in the show.

Eleven's not a superhero she's a sympathetic alien lab-monster.

Straight White Shark posted:

Barb is still a corpse

:toot:

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
In the seventh and final season theyll enter the 90s, and it'll turn into a 90s anime where El blows up the whole drat world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

Kind of both? I mean first off I thought it was just pretty badly done (I've mentioned the dialogue already) so I'll leave that aside.

I was all about Eleven meeting Eight and seeing what kind of dynamic they might have and learning more about the experiments and potentially others who were in there in theory. I was not excited about Eight's silly posse even if only about half of them were bad characters. I absolutely disliked the concept of them comparing powers and showing off powers and training powers and talking about how their powers made them special and so on and so forth. You might say this was inevitable both due to what would naturally come up in conversation and simply the popularity of superhero stuff these days, and so in that way the concept also disagreed with me. You can't make superhero stuff interesting to me no matter how well executed it is. To me Eleven is always more fun to watch when there's nothing supernatural involved in the scene already, whether with the boys or Hopper or what-have-you.

Yeaaaah it kind of felt like Heroes Season 2

• Locked thread