Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

empty baggie posted:

I disagree about episode 7. It served as a tension breaker...

That's literally why so many people hate it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just think it was unnecessary. It's an obvious set up for season 3. Granted, I've always found Eleven to be the least interesting part of the show, so an episode totally dedicated to her and none of the other main characters around (surrounded by the punk rock BK Kids Club) was just not my cup of tea.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's necessary for Eleven to realize that 'home' isn't with her mother, or her new 'sister' and gang. Home is Hawkins, and Hopper and Mike. That's why she goes back to save them.

As others have said, I think the reaction would be less extreme if it didn't break the pacing of the show so much. If it had been earlier or strung out over a few episodes as the B-plot I think it would have been received better by more people. Personally I liked it and I'm sure it will play into season 3 in some way.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like that she wasn' t 010. She was 008, so there are even more out there, some (or all) escape, and they have similar but not identical powers.

EDIT: oopsy, didnt even consider spoilers

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 30, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Whew, spoilers. Take it to the relevant thread please thanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

To be fair, that spoiler is literally in the first 5 minutes of the first episode. So if you caught it by mistake it won't ruin that much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't mind episode 7 on its own merits, but it really was conspicuously out of place. Honestly it kinda felt like the Duffers said "hey there's a whole other chunk of 80's pop culture nostalgia we haven't touched on, how can we write a story around that?"

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished Stranger Things and while I don't agree with the extent some are hating on episode 7 it did feel a little disjointed. None of that matters though, because in the final episode we got to see Dusty in a perm and that, well, let's just say all is forgiven.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Forgot to post about this way earlier, but I've been binging through Breaking Bad these past few weeks - finally, years after everyone told me to watch it. I must say, it's been pretty good so far.
I'm nearly through season four and have just seen the episode where Skylar/Saul have some thugs go to coerce Ted into paying his $617k fine, which Ted does before promptly killing himself accidentally. To be honest I think Ted has been a complete and utter idiot the whole time he's been on the show, and as bad as it may be to admit it, the moment he leased that Mercedes with Skylar'sWalt's money, I kinda hoped this would happen. What a moron...
Jesse has also just gotten back from Mexico with Gus, which he (perhaps foolishly) passed on the opportunity to kill him and Mike. This has therefore led to Gus threatening Walt and his family, so he's now just found out about Skylar giving Ted most of their money, when he was in a frenzy to get cash for the guys giving his family new identities.

So yeah, it's been a good show so far. I like the change/shift in the overall tone of Walt and Jesse's behaviour (mainly Walt though) over the course of the show. To be honest though, with the way Walt has become and how he treats Jesse like poo poo (not only refusing to help him due to "what have you ever done for me, Jesse?" right after Jesse murders Gail for him...Plus, I've noticed that, for the most part, Jesse's drug relapses seem to occur after really bad situations that he's put through - which all appear to be a direct result of Walt's actions.) I'm not overly fussed if Walt is murdered during season five. I only hope that Jesse survives, since he's just a good kid in a bad situation...mostly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Arrested Developpement Season 4 and The Wire season 3.

Arrested Developpement's non chronological timeline and single character pov per episode was interesting at first but got old very fast. Also some characters like Lucille/Buster got only a single episodes dedicated to them while some characters had way too many. Many scenes were reused from the point of view of other characters. Format complains aside and some characters being underused. The comedy and writing was great as usual.

Loved the Tobias/Gob arc. Tobias trying to get his poo poo back together by buying a mansion he can't afford, dating a drug addict and working at a rehab center only to advance his musical career was hilarious. I am always surprised how little work David Cross gets.

Gob's rivalry with Tony Wonder(Ben Stiller) was really fun. Will Arnett and Ben Stiller have great chemistry together. There were many special guests on this season but Ben Stiller was by far the best.

The Wire season 3 was just more The Wire. Sad to see the port/cargo area from season 2 completely ignored except for 1 single shot of Frank sobotka. The intelligence unit's didn't really have a clear target for most of the season. They focused a bit on Brodie then Marlo then Stringer. Loved the outlook into the higher players in this game of power/money with freaking Lord Baelish as a potential mayor.

The finale was great, one of the best characters is gone but he had a great arc throughout the show. Will probably watch season 5 after a while.

Also watched Mindhunters. The cinematography, directorship is all great but imo it felt short in many other aspects such as story, characters and tension.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are you skipping The Wire Season 4 for some reason? Because that's like the best season.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Are you skipping The Wire Season 4 for some reason? Because that's like the best season.

Oh my bad I meant season 4. Don't know why I typed season 5. I think I was thinking of Arrested Developpement season 5 and got mixed up.

That is good too hear though so far my favorite season was season 2 even though I absolutely hated it at first.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wasn't a fan of the whole Hamsterdam storyline. What were we supposed to take away from it? Overall it looked like a terrible experiment and a huge failure.

Season 4 is the best one with the biggest gut punch.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is funny. For me, the first time I watched The Wire I wasn't a huge fan of season 2 at all. On subsequent viewings, however, it has become my favorite season. I love how "the greek" is basically a personification of capitalism unchecked, and I think it does a great job showing what life is like for workers being squeezed out of their jobs due to automation. I haven't seen the show since Trump won the presidency, but those poor white dock workers are probably just the sort of demographic that would have cast a vote for our Commander in Chief.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also all the Friday Night Lights people voted for Trump. Guaranteed. Even Coach.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Also all the Friday Night Lights people voted for Trump. Guaranteed. Even Coach.

Especially Coach.

I think most of them didn't vote at all though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Season 2 of the Wire is a shock to the system because its just a break fro Season 1 and you can end up sitting there just wanting to see the Season 1 characters and not get this whole poor white crime thing. Once you get past that its probably the best contained, stand alone story with a beginning and end.

Season 3 is a little shaky because they again just leave Season 2 aside but now they bring a lot of Season 1 back in the Hamsterdam story is just kind of weird and driven largely independent of the main cast and crew. I think its good and fits really well in the big picture but on a first watch its weird.

Season 4 really finds the best balance of storylines and plots and characters, along with having an amazing and gut wrenching main story.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hamsterdam part was definitely random and felt out of place. The entire Bunny part was useless. He only filled the purpose so Stringer could give him important info. They could have done that with Stringer when he lost everything to the Senator and being pissed at Avon. All in all Hamsterdam felt like a giant waste of time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just caught up on Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and holy poo poo it's weird but a lot of fun. It feels as much Douglas Adams as it feels Max Landis, and he's probably the best choice to adapt something like this. The character work is great. Honestly Dirk himself gets frustrating at times with his "look at me I'm wacky" attitude, but the supporting cast absolutely makes up for it. I love that each season so far immerses you in this world where you have absolutely no idea what's going on and then gradually clues you in, and the weirdness makes total sense (within the rules of the show at least) by the end.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

sticklefifer posted:

Just caught up on Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and holy poo poo it's weird but a lot of fun. It feels as much Douglas Adams as it feels Max Landis, and he's probably the best choice to adapt something like this. The character work is great. Honestly Dirk himself gets frustrating at times with his "look at me I'm wacky" attitude, but the supporting cast absolutely makes up for it. I love that each season so far immerses you in this world where you have absolutely no idea what's going on and then gradually clues you in, and the weirdness makes total sense (within the rules of the show at least) by the end.

wow, I had no idea season 2 was out

season 1 was definitely one of the most funny shows I saw on TV in some time

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sticklefifer posted:

Dirk is the shiznit. I've been banging the season 2 drum for weeks

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Honestly Dirk himself gets frustrating at times with his "look at me I'm wacky" attitude

Not gonna lie, I couldn't get past this. It was so distracting in a bad way for me that I couldn't appreciate the surrounding other elements of the show.

E: Correction: The soundtrack was great.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If season 4 didn't exist, Hamsterdam would've actually been my favorite part of the Wire. I think it can be interpreted a couple ways, but my favorite interpretation is that Bunny was just shoving the problem off to the side to keep his own guys safe. Hamsterdam's biggest failure wasn't letting drugs run free, it was waiting so long to provide actual aid to the users.

In that regard, Season 4 shows how the failure of Hamsterdam motivated Bunny to try and actually help the fringe groups instead of just ignoring them. He got through to some of those kids because he 1) removed them from their normal environment and 2) actually addressed their problems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hamsterdam was clearly a dumb idea but it was also just Colvin frustrated at a career of not helping and desperate to find some way to actually make a difference or do something different since the thing he'd always done clearly doesn't work. As odd as that storyline gets I always enjoy the conflict of all the people around Colvin who all know this is a terrible idea and its all going to come crashing down but also recognize that they actually can do some good while its still standing.

And then Season 4 is really Colvin just finding a more sane, "one small step at a time" way to make a difference.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

If you haven't seen it, check out the Stephen Mangan (of Misfits) Dirk Gently from about 5 years ago. I prefer it to the Landis one, and it's far more in tone with the books.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seattle is basically opening up its own Hamsterdam

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/seattle-king-county-move-to-create-2-injection-sites-for-drug-users/

It's a little different in that I don't think they'll just let dealers sell drugs out in the open.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector 34 posted:

Seattle is basically opening up its own Hamsterdam

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/seattle-king-county-move-to-create-2-injection-sites-for-drug-users/

It's a little different in that I don't think they'll just let dealers sell drugs out in the open.

It's insane to me that Suboxone is so loving hard to get. Yes, it gets you high, it feels pretty great, but it doesn't cause you to want to do it constantly because it's not in itself physically addictive.

Considering anyone can just walk into Walgreen's and buy a $7 bottle of 20 Robitussin caps, which is 5 or 10 more than you need to get "am I literally dying" levels of dissociated and high, it's real fuckin' dumb that you can't buy Suboxone OTC, or get a prescription for it cheaply and easily. In most places, you can't get it at all unless you "prove" you're an opiate addict

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hello. I have just discovered that the brokenwood mysteries exist. They are available on demand in the UK , not sure where in other places.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3640276/ Likeable sarcastic detective solves murders in a small New Zealand town. They have no money for filming so have compensated with the writing. Detective has the prerequisite awesome classic car, and the music is amazing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I do not get the appeal of the new Dirk Gently at all. I liked the books and the old British TV series but the new iteration is just so intolerably impressed with its own nerdy quirkiness that I despise it. It's a weird spot for me to be in emotionally, because I'm so loving nerdy that I'm literally a professional scientist who works with computers all day and even I want to punch the entire show and throw its asthma inhaler in the bushes.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 3, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I generally like Max Landis scripts and I gave up on Dirk halfway through the first season. Its insufferable twee-ness was just too much for me, even though things like the holistic assassin are great

And I love Elijah Wood too

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have to watch Dirk Gentley. I remember reading the book a while back and not liking it. I normally ADORE British comedy shows/books but just felt a bit too zany and out there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ulio posted:

I have to watch Dirk Gentley. I remember reading the book a while back and not liking it. I normally ADORE British comedy shows/books but just felt a bit too zany and out there.

Apparently, much to the disappointment of early reviewers, the show is completely different from the book apart from the name of the main character.

I thought it was one of the best things I watched last year. Fantastic world building.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

learnincurve posted:

Hello. I have just discovered that the brokenwood mysteries exist. They are available on demand in the UK , not sure where in other places.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3640276/ Likeable sarcastic detective solves murders in a small New Zealand town. They have no money for filming so have compensated with the writing. Detective has the prerequisite awesome classic car, and the music is amazing.

It's great Kiwi TV, i watched it because i give Fern Sutherland a lot of time after Almighty Johnsons.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

precision posted:

It's insane to me that Suboxone is so loving hard to get. Yes, it gets you high, it feels pretty great, but it doesn't cause you to want to do it constantly because it's not in itself physically addictive.

Considering anyone can just walk into Walgreen's and buy a $7 bottle of 20 Robitussin caps, which is 5 or 10 more than you need to get "am I literally dying" levels of dissociated and high, it's real fuckin' dumb that you can't buy Suboxone OTC, or get a prescription for it cheaply and easily. In most places, you can't get it at all unless you "prove" you're an opiate addict

As an ex-junky on suboxone, please believe me when I say it's still very physically addicting. Like, if you quit cold turkey you absolutely will go through withdrawals on par with other opiates. That said, it's still useful because it's fairly safe(hard to OD on, won't wreck your liver or whatever else comes with things like IV drugs) and once you get used to it after a few days, you feel normal rather than getting high. It basically is a tool that sort of "shelves" your addiction so you can get your poo poo together. You are right though, it should be more accessible because it's much better than shooting dope but it still has plenty of downsides. Maybe you meant mentally addicting? I would consider it less mentally addicting because the "high" goes away after you take it for a bit and it's honestly not a super recreational high to begin with.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Dirk Gently seems like one of the those shows that take an existing franchise and slap the name on it for whatever story the writers actually want to tell.

That can be good or bad depending on your opinion on the original product.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I'm only a few episodes in but it's crazy how much better of a show The Orville is than Star Trek: Discovery. I think you probably have to be a big ST nerd to really like it though.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The Orville is more Star trek than Discovery is, but I'm liking a serious Star trek series more than hokey episodic space travels. I love both shows and I'm glad they are what they are though.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

johnsonrod posted:

I'm only a few episodes in but it's crazy how much better of a show The Orville is than Star Trek: Discovery. I think you probably have to be a big ST nerd to really like it though.

For what its worth, I don't have a history with Star Trek but I caught the Orville and it has ignited an interest in TNG. I don't think you have to be a big trekkie to appreciate the Orville, just receptive to that TNG sort of optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The Orville is more Star trek than Discovery is, but I'm liking a serious Star trek series more than hokey episodic space travels. I love both shows and I'm glad they are what they are though.