Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Larrymer posted:

It's Rhyno. His posts practically invite people to make fun of him. :) He's been around long enough (and knew the answer to his question obviously before asking it). I wouldn't try to burn a newer poster or somebody I didn't recognize. Take it easy, internet defender.

Back OT, I bought a hot hatch. 2017 Sport w/DSG. Here's the last time it'll be clean and not have any door dents. :v:

sorry friend.

Was a bit testy which wasnt your fault. my apologies.

Very nice looking gti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

Back OT, I bought a hot hatch. 2017 Sport w/DSG. Here's the last time it'll be clean and not have any door dents. :v:

Get a ceramic coating applied and it'll be relatively clean all the time.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Etrips posted:

does ceramic protect from the next 5 months of salt, sand, and calcium chloride that will be sprayed all over the car anytime he drives it on a michigan road? seriously asking

*edit - I had my chemical de-icer names confused

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 6, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Etrips posted:

I will likely just wash it and apply a good sealant if I can before it gets too cold. Works pretty well and lasts for a few months. I was able to do that with my last car during the winter and just spray it off once a week at the pay and spray and it was still beading off water all winter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laserface posted:

Its not unfeasible that the Fiesta could be AWD. I mean there is Fiesta rally cars that are AWD.

Still, you arent buying an off the shelf bolt in kit unless one of those rally reams is selling one.

The "Fiesta" rally cars only share a few body panels and a dashboard with the actual Fiesta. Everything else is pretty much bespoke and nothing like the street cars.

https://youtu.be/HME4M0ym5F4

I mean, technically it shows you can fit that stuff in the footprint, but it's been completely repackaged.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Huh what is the smallest AWD vehicle you can buy in the US? WRX? I guess you can still technically buy a new EVO if you wanted?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Huh what is the smallest AWD vehicle you can buy in the US? WRX? I guess you can still technically buy a new EVO if you wanted?

Maybe the Suzuki Alto Works RS-Rs? Kei turbo inter-cooled hot hatches from Japan w/ AWD. :getin:

Unless you meant new then heck I dunno. These Altos are 25 years old now so legal for US import.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
There are Suzuki dealers that still have SX4s on the lots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Maybe the Suzuki Alto Works RS-Rs? Kei turbo inter-cooled hot hatches from Japan w/ AWD. :getin:

Unless you meant new then heck I dunno. These Altos are 25 years old now so legal for US import.

Stop doing that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For an actual answer, maybe the Audi TT or Fiat 500x?

The Focus RS is smaller than the Impreza.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

It's Rhyno. His posts practically invite people to make fun of him. :) He's been around long enough (and knew the answer to his question obviously before asking it). I wouldn't try to burn a newer poster or somebody I didn't recognize. Take it easy, internet defender.

excellent choice, FRiend

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The WRX is a pretty big car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

excellent choice, FRiend

Why does everyone keep calling me friend? I've already proved I'm less than friendly. :argh:

Thanks!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:shrug:

I call most folks on the forums friend, it just works really well especially when you are saying something like "perhaps maybe your mother should have postnatally aborted you, friend"

it kind of makes it almost nice

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sneakyfrog posted:

"perhaps maybe your mother should have postnatally aborted you, friend"

Aw. That's sweet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Ferret King posted:

Aw. That's sweet.

i know right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

The "Fiesta" rally cars only share a few body panels and a dashboard with the actual Fiesta. Everything else is pretty much bespoke and nothing like the street cars.

https://youtu.be/HME4M0ym5F4

I mean, technically it shows you can fit that stuff in the footprint, but it's been completely repackaged.
The R5 is a bit closer to a normal car than the RS WRC, but it's still been literally completely stripped to the shell and rebuilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZjePaiteBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5TuaQFI1g

The EcoSport, the crossover thing that's the apparent replacement for the Fiesta in the US market, is the only AWD vehicle built on the same platform I'm aware of, but in this case "platform" is a bit looser than it is for a lot of other modern cars. The rear suspension and floorpan layout is completely different, it'd require major surgery to get the EcoSport's rear drive components under a Fiesta unfortunately.

edit:

KillHour posted:

For an actual answer, maybe the Audi TT or Fiat 500x?

Got bored and decided to check. Looks like you nailed it. Audi TT seems to be the shortest new AWD car in the US market, with the Jeep Renegade and its platform-mate the Fiat 500X coming in second. The Jeep is technically a half inch shorter body but the wheelbase is identical. Mini Clubman seems to be in third.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks for those videos that thing looks rad af

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The R5 rally car is indeed a sexy piece

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

The EcoSport, the crossover thing that's the apparent replacement for the Fiesta in the US market, is the only AWD vehicle built on the same platform I'm aware of, but in this case "platform" is a bit looser than it is for a lot of other modern cars. The rear suspension and floorpan layout is completely different, it'd require major surgery to get the EcoSport's rear drive components under a Fiesta unfortunately.

Why would you do that? Just lower an EcoSport and put a fiesta badge on it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can’t really lower an Ecosport much - it isn’t a designed with a lot of ground clearance it’s the body itself that is tall. The Holden Trax is a similar thing (just even more hideous).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

thanks for those videos that thing looks rad af

PaintVagrant posted:

The R5 rally car is indeed a sexy piece
Yes it is. I wish rally cars were street legal here like they are in most of the rest of the world. I still couldn't afford one by any means, but at least that means I'd have a chance of seeing one if one of the local more-money-than-sense types fancied themselves a rally driver.

KillHour posted:

Why would you do that? Just lower an EcoSport and put a fiesta badge on it.
I looked in to what shared a platform with the Fiesta when I first got the car because I wanted to see if there was any plausible option. A friend had owned a Mk5 GTI at one time which we discussed converting to AWD using a variety of other VW bits, but that was obviously a different case because there were a half dozen AWD variants of that platform just none that happened to be badged "GTI". For that car not only was it doable but it had been done and documented. It was still mostly a nonsense idea on a cost basis compared to just trading over to one of the similar vehicles that already had AWD, but it wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

Obviously after seeing what the rear suspension on the EcoSport looked like and the huge open area in the back of the chassis on the FWD models it was pretty obvious that its rear drive bits wouldn't go in to a Fiesta in any meaningful way, at least not without so much custom work that you may as well just do it all custom like the rally cars

As far as lowering an EcoSport, have you seen the things? They're pretty fugly as is and I don't think there's much potential to lower it without going with the tiny wheels like a lovely dropped S-10 in the '90s. I'd rather take my Fiesta to the reasonable limits of FWD than try to make that thing sporty and enjoyable to look at.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 7, 2017

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
In case y’all need a new insurance plan.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Mountune USA has a sale, 20% off. "holiday17" code.

It works on their Fiesta radiator upgrade....might know what I am asking for Christmas :getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Mountune USA has a sale, 20% off. "holiday17" code.

It works on their Fiesta radiator upgrade....might know what I am asking for Christmas :getin:

a cobb stage 1 for 485 with coupon uh......

*goes and gets his credit card*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:toot:

thank you coupon friend :swoon:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

wolrah posted:

Got bored and decided to check. Looks like you nailed it. Audi TT seems to be the shortest new AWD car in the US market, with the Jeep Renegade and its platform-mate the Fiat 500X coming in second. The Jeep is technically a half inch shorter body but the wheelbase is identical. Mini Clubman seems to be in third.

CX-3?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Yeah, that beats the Mini. Totally forgot about those. Actually realized I had missed a few vehicles, and it's been a slow morning.

If you interpret AWD as "all four wheels driven in some way" the two door Jeep Wrangler is actually the shortest vehicle for sale in the US today, beating the Audi by a tenth of an inch.

If you're more of a stickler on the definition of AWD and require full-time center diff capabilities the Audi TT retains the title for now.

In either case, that stupid EcoSport thing will be six inches shorter than either of them when it launches in the US next year.

Also the Chevy Trax and its Buick sibling are the same length as the 500X while having a shorter wheelbase.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 10, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Put the new wheels on today.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Nice. What did they run for the set?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Tire Rack has blizzaks on new 17's for my Golf R that work out to about $1100 installed, is that about what I should expect to pay?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Tire Rack has blizzaks on new 17's for my Golf R that work out to about $1100 installed, is that about what I should expect to pay?

I got four 18" blizzaks for $900 installed through costco, might be worth looking into if you have one near you. Even with the membership fee you'd come out ahead, and have a membership for cheap gas.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm pretty sure Blizzaks on 17s for the Forester were a bit cheaper than that. Maybe check alternative sizes?

Edit: they were steel wheels, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xsf421 posted:

I got four 18" blizzaks for $900 installed through costco, might be worth looking into if you have one near you. Even with the membership fee you'd come out ahead, and have a membership for cheap gas.

That's roughly what I spent on my set four years ago.

poo poo, they still look good but they're probably at end of life aren't they.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Oo tasty, Costco would install them (presumably on my existing rims?) for $730. I guess I'd need to get new rims and tires for springtime...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
same model of tire? there are a few different blizzacks

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Nice. What did they run for the set?

Wheels and tires together were about $2100 delivered.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Just want to say how completely terrible Good Eagle F1 tires are when they're cold. It's been in the 20s-30s here in the mornings recently. I'm guessing the rubber hardens up quite a bit at these temps, because I have been doing accidental peel-outs and understeering at slow speeds. Still no snow in the forecast so I don't want to switch over to my winter tires yet, but I might do it early just to avoid dealing with this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They're summer performance tires, that's kind of the point. You should switch to your winter tires once the temperature is consistently below about 40 degrees regardless of preciptiation. I didn't do it yet (next weekend), and I'm regretting it here in SE Michigan even though it hasn't snowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're summer performance tires, that's kind of the point. You should switch to your winter tires once the temperature is consistently below about 40 degrees regardless of preciptiation. I didn't do it yet (next weekend), and I'm regretting it here in SE Michigan even though it hasn't snowed.

It's still been getting warm enough in KC and now Colorado that I'm still running my summer tires. Once there's actual snow in the forecast I'll switch over.