Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Congrats? I still think he’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And you're allowed to.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I can't stand Colbert

Congrats on being a monster :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Colbert's interviews are bad. I don't know why she's so awkward around comedians like Bill Burr.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

precision posted:

Same.

Everyone knows SNL is uneven but my God the "Baby Steps" song/sketch was incredible.

incredibly terrible? i agree. SNL hasn't put out a great video short since Lonely Island.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Lonely Island did that song actually :v: It reminded me so much of Popstar.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Colbert is the only late night show that has a political monologue. Jimmy Kimmel had a few high profile things with the Obamacare repeal but he doesn't do it regularly and when he does it's like 3 minutes. James Corden and Jimmy Fallon are of course useless, Seth Meyers' already terrible delivery comes with terrible writing, and Trevor Noah still doesn't have the bite of Jon Stewart. John Oliver is good but he's only weekly and his pieces aren't as satisfying as they were in earlier seasons.

Seth meyers is always talking about trump

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seth Meyers coined the term "clapter" almost 10 years ago and now he's one of the foremost practitioners of that comedy style. If you can't beat 'em....

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Seth meyers is always talking about trump
Even his coverage of the Manafort indictment, which was probably the biggest softball in a while, was unwatchable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5DdDauuh8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've watched literally every single episode of Conan's TBS show since it started, but I don't regularly watch any other late night show. I'll watch clips, like I appreciated Jimmy Kimmel's response to the Las Vegas shooting and I'll watch clips of musical guests I like on other shows on YouTube. But there was a time when I used to watch Fallon, Conan, Colbert and The Daily Show every night they were on and that was long ago and now Conan's the only one of those I ever watch.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Welp, I'm getting Starz in January. That hits a lot of the notes I loved about Fringe, which is a top-5 favorite show of all time for me

It’s also show run by the guy who wrote jungle book and the upcoming top gun. Cool dude on twitter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a bit strange that James Corden was the guy from the original History Boys cast who got the biggest career. Sure, Dominic Cooper's probably had the best acting career in terms of the roles he's had, and the others (Russell Tovey, Sam Anderson, Sacha Dhawan etc.) have all done other stuff, but Corden's definitely the one who's become most famous. What I've heard is that he's incredibly easily awed by famous people and is consequently a massive suck-up.

Most people I know who are "clued-in" like John Oliver but I think he's a smug prick (I think that Brexit video he did unwittingly sums up why Remain lost, and I hope he still feels bad about begging Trump to run every week) so I've never been able to get into him.

As far as late night talk shows go, I only really like Graham Norton.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Meyer is just a less evil Bill Maher. It's preaching to the choir in the least entertaining way.

The worst part is probably the "Seth Meyer EVISCERATES Donald Trump" articles that won't go away.

edit: articles, not videos

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A poorly-worded headline made me think the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon was going off the air. What a rude prank.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Colbert's interviews are bad. I don't know why she's so awkward around comedians like Bill Burr.

Colbert is an amazing interviewer, that being said, I still don't give a gently caress about whatever some actor is pushing so I rarely watch them unless it's someone I know he'll just have fun with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

It really was. I seem to recall that Craig got sort of Jon Stewart hosed? Like he was in line for the Letterman time slot but they went to Colbert instead so Craig just said gently caress this poo poo and left.

Ferguson never legitimately wanted the Late Show gig, primarily because he knew that he'd have to switch to a more standard "dad jokes and lovely interviews" format but also because he was tired of the schedule, but he was pretty forward-thinking about it: He still had it written into his contract that if Letterman quit, there would be a substantial contingency payout if he didn't get the job. He always said he was going to bail around the same time that Letterman did, but Letterman had no issue with that poison-pill bit of the contract. (Incidentally, all that is why CBS changed the contractual structure of Late Show; until the final extensions were signed, Worldwide Pants owned the shows, but Letterman and Ferguson were demanding that Late Late Show get a new set. In exchange for the increased budget, Worldwide Pants surrendered the ownership of both Late Show and Late Late Show.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Ferguson never legitimately wanted the Late Show gig, primarily because he knew that he'd have to switch to a more standard "dad jokes and lovely interviews" format but also because he was tired of the schedule, but he was pretty forward-thinking about it: He still had it written into his contract that if Letterman quit, there would be a substantial contingency payout if he didn't get the job. He always said he was going to bail around the same time that Letterman did, but Letterman had no issue with that poison-pill bit of the contract. (Incidentally, all that is why CBS changed the contractual structure of Late Show; until the final extensions were signed, Worldwide Pants owned the shows, but Letterman and Ferguson were demanding that Late Late Show get a new set. In exchange for the increased budget, Worldwide Pants surrendered the ownership of both Late Show and Late Late Show.)

Good to know!

I'd still have taken Craig in a watered down format over Colbert any day though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Timby posted:

If I'm reading this right, Letterman gave up ownership of the shows so Ferguson could get a new set? This seems like an expensive compromise for Letterman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

Colbert is an amazing interviewer, that being said, I still don't give a gently caress about whatever some actor is pushing so I rarely watch them unless it's someone I know he'll just have fun with.

The interviews I've seen on the Late Show with Colbert are pretty bad. Once in a while you'll see the old Colbert Report razors come out but most of the time the interviews are full of awkward silences and Colbert missing the joke.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The interviews I've seen on the Late Show with Colbert are pretty bad. Once in a while you'll see the old Colbert Report razors come out but most of the time the interviews are full of awkward silences and Colbert missing the joke.

We're watching different shows I guess, unless you haven't watched it for the last year or so?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just saw the one with Jim Jeffries the other day.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there's been talk about how nobody cares about Late Night show ratings anymore and instead the networks only care about cutting them up and putting bits on Youtube that can be spun off into their own things.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by how at least half of each episode of Last Week Tonight winds up on their YouTube channel after it airs. Its really heartening to something scummy like MLMs explained and eviscerated in a fun easily digestible 30 minute YouTube video that gets passed around of it's own volition and is way more of a net good then yet another "pee pee Doo Doo he is a bad president" monologue.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Huh, finally made my way to season 2 of Killjoys. This show hits all the right buttons for me. Please tell me it's not going to get canceled anytime soon :ohdear:.

Edit: Oh I just googled it, two more seasons. Sounds good to me!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Counterpart can't get here soon enough. drat it.

Also just wanted to say ST:D is good and I still like it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, STD is actually good and it's kind of a shame they put it on their dumb streaming to die.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Yeah, STD is actually good and it's kind of a shame they put it on their dumb streaming to die.

Wrong again. It got renewed for season 2.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

So did Luck before it got cancelled.

I can't imagine STD doing good numbers based on the blogosphere.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

That doesn't mean it isn't going to die.

If it lives it's only because it's on Netflix in countries outside the orange wall.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It doesn't matter about the "blogosphere," CBS has an extremely lucrative streaming contract with Netflix for countries outside of the US. The series literally paid for itself.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why did they gently caress their largest market then. The gently caress.

I'm just glad that it helps subsidize The Good Fight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because CBS is trying to push All Access.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Josh Lyman posted:

So did Luck before it got cancelled.

Vinyl too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arist posted:

Because CBS is trying to push All Access.

And now they've got Twilight Zone being produced by Jordan Peele's production company.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Why did they gently caress their largest market then. The gently caress.

Because traditional network TV ad revenue is in the toilet so even if their CBS All Access gets only a fraction of the subscribers it's still more profitable. With Netflix underwriting most of the cost it makes sense on a business level, they're basically getting a competitor to underwrite them building their own streaming service and any money they make off of it is just icing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nobody made a Season 8 thread for Bob's Burgers? It looks like they're still leaning heavily into the "Kids A plot/Bob and Linda B plot" episode format. The best episodes are always the ones that have Bob pairing up with one of the kids- the most recent example was the one where he went with Gene to the laser light rock opera show. Also, I think Teddy is a third wheel more often than not. I don't think they should have bumped Larry Murphy to permanent cast member status.

It's still a good show but it could be better.

Guy Mann posted:

I've been very pleasantly surprised by how at least half of each episode of Last Week Tonight winds up on their YouTube channel after it airs. Its really heartening to something scummy like MLMs explained and eviscerated in a fun easily digestible 30 minute YouTube video
I disagree with that bolded description. I stopped watching Last Week Tonight late in 2015 because the show, and the main stories in particular, ended up being like latter-day Jon Stewart Daily Show segments: more focus on righteous anger, less on the funny. The only things that J/O (yes that's my intentional way of poking fun at Oliver) used to provide levity were nonsensical pop culture references.

Granted, it's informative, but J/O is kind of smug and condescending, so the most receptive audiences are the already converted. You can accuse me of tone policing, but if you're trying to reach out to people, not coming off like a dick is kind of important.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Nobody made a Season 8 thread for Bob's Burgers? It looks like they're still leaning heavily into the "Kids A plot/Bob and Linda B plot" episode format. The best episodes are always the ones that have Bob pairing up with one of the kids- the most recent example was the one where he went with Gene to the laser light rock opera show. Also, I think Teddy is a third wheel more often than not. I don't think they should have bumped Larry Murphy to permanent cast member status.

Holy poo poo we're about to get another Thanksgiving episode of Bob's Burgers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo we're about to get another Thanksgiving episode of Bob's Burgers.
Holiday episodes of Bob's Burgers are consistently the best ones. The Halloween one this season was great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Holiday episodes of Bob's Burgers are consistently the best ones. The Halloween one this season was great.

I haven't started this season yet but the Turkey episodes are usually the high point of television every year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What do you do when you've tried to get into Bob's Burgers multiple times but never once found it funny in the slightest but you're on all the dating apps and most girls list that as their favorite show and you feel like a weird outsider who's missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What do you do when you've tried to get into Bob's Burgers multiple times but never once found it funny in the slightest but you're on all the dating apps and most girls list that as their favorite show and you feel like a weird outsider who's missing something?

Ah, the My Chemical Romance Conundrum.

• Locked thread