Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
As far as I know all browsers worth using do this now and it's caused a lot of headache for game designers. I am not a programmer but I'd probably solve it by trying to detect if the game isn't in focus and just switching to "offline mode" for the duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Poultron posted:

As far as I know all browsers worth using do this now and it's caused a lot of headache for game designers. I am not a programmer but I'd probably solve it by trying to detect if the game isn't in focus and just switching to "offline mode" for the duration.

I've seen several games that do this, seems to be the best solution. Maybe throw up a message about background tabs when it happens.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
not sure if this will work, but try using alt+escape instead of minimizing

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Got an NGU save where I can't trash a shirt: https://pastebin.com/ajbNNmqD

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

On that note, this is more of an oversight and way less bad than an untrashable shirt but I can apparently drag empty squares around in inventory. At least they don't overwrite my equipment or something.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Empty inventory space are technically an item that's just a complete blank. They should "swap" when you initiate a swap with an actual item, but not if you start on the blank. So, slight bug but shouldn't break anything.

I'll check in on that untrashable shirt. Just FYI if you use shift + click to protect an item, that also makes it untrashable by design.

Also, working on adding tooltips to like, EVERYTHING. It's fairly hackish now, I'm making something much more proper (and quicker to implement).

Thanks for all the help goons!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Got an NGU save where I can't trash a shirt: https://pastebin.com/ajbNNmqD

Checked the save, that's exactly what happened, you set the shirt to be protected (red border). I'm working on adding tooltips and explaining the inventory system as we speak.

something fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 7, 2017

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

pixaal posted:

I've seen several games that do this, seems to be the best solution. Maybe throw up a message about background tabs when it happens.

It's caused by games doing a loop something like this:

code:
60 times a second:
{
     doStuff()
}
when they should be doing something like:

code:
whenever you can:
{
    doStuff( secondsSinceLastLoop )
    showStuff()
}
or the more sophisticated:

code:
whenever you can:
{
    do 60*secondsSinceLastLoop:
    {
        doStuff()
    }
    showStuff()
}
It's pretty simple programming to do this, I'm not too sure why this mistake is made so often.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Always:
Play idle games in their own browser window, without any other tabs running.

Never:
Minimize said browser window.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

In build 284 and the forest pendant has no stats

https://pastebin.com/zuV51eLe

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ineptitude posted:

Always:

Never:

Play them in Steam, where it can log the hours you've wasted in the game and show them to all of your friends! :downs:

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Enjoying NGU Idle quite a lot, scratching the numbers go up itch nicely.

Did find a typo and I know that thing's really minor but please fix :D

Only other thing that's bugging me is having to remember to set the adventure to idle (and to sewers) once I've rebirthed. Mainly because I'm a bear of very little brain and struggle to remember to do too many things to get back to where I was.

Other than that, please keep working on this so I can keep my brain happy :)

shs
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Play them in Steam, where it can log the hours you've wasted in the game and show them to all of your friends! :downs:

I always wondered, do people on Steam actually like idle games and spend money of them? (other than Adventure Capitalist and Clicker Heroes, which would make money anywhere). I remember back when Steam Greenlight was a thing and games needed votes to get onto Steam, people would show up in mobs to express how much they hated idle games.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

shs posted:

I always wondered, do people on Steam actually like idle games and spend money of them? (other than Adventure Capitalist and Clicker Heroes, which would make money anywhere). I remember back when Steam Greenlight was a thing and games needed votes to get onto Steam, people would show up in mobs to express how much they hated idle games.

Often, people who comment are not the same people who play. Or pay, for that matter.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I've been playing RG on Steam, but honestly, it's got its own problems in that you can only have games running on one machine at a time, so if I want to leave an idler running on my desktop and play something on my laptop or Steam Link, I'm rear end out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

shs posted:

I could see someone tossing a few dollars to Idling to Rule the Gods or Realm Grinder. Not me, I'm going to waste my money on F2P CCGs instead :v:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Ineptitude posted:

Always:

Never:

I have a separate Chrome window for RG but it has a few other tabs. RG is always the foreground tab. Why do the other tabs matter?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
How do you reincarnate and ascend in Realm Grinder? I'm approaching 1B gems total after my next abdication and I feel like I"m getting somewhere and nowhere all at the same time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

D34THROW posted:

How do you reincarnate and ascend in Realm Grinder? I'm approaching 1B gems total after my next abdication and I feel like I"m getting somewhere and nowhere all at the same time.

Reincarnate is available after you hit 1e27 gems (1B is 1e9). Ascending happens after 40 reincarnations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Idk how we do spoilers here, but here's a good guide for your first 40 Reincarnations of RG:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

quote:

"realm grinder" indeed

:stonk: Holy poo poo. Is it better to keep abdicating to gain more and more gems or just grind up to a high number of gems once I've got all factions heritage?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

D34THROW posted:

:stonk: Holy poo poo. Is it better to keep abdicating to gain more and more gems or just grind up to a high number of gems once I've got all factions heritage?

Your abdications should usually be fairly short (even before you get the item later that makes 15 minute runs optimal). At your level, just doing Elves, buying a everything, making sure to spend your extra faction coins on exchanges, and getting 1-2E before abdicating, is probably best, I think.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Last rebirth in NGU I had a "blood magic factor" or somesuch, what's that? And do the difficulty buttons do anything yet?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Last rebirth in NGU I had a "blood magic factor" or somesuch, what's that? And do the difficulty buttons do anything yet?

I messed with the magic I'd gained and it increases your rebirth multiplier. No idea how the math on that works besides bigger needed investment = bigger change to rebirth power though.

e: You can't do anything with that until after you finish the last cave boss.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I messed with the magic I'd gained and it increases your rebirth multiplier. No idea how the math on that works besides bigger needed investment = bigger change to rebirth power though.

e: You can't do anything with that until after you finish the last cave boss.

I suppose blood magic showing up in the rebirth screen is a bug then cause I haven't unlocked any magic as far as I'm aware.
Is it possible to increse augmentation speed? Is that what "energy power" does?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I suppose blood magic showing up in the rebirth screen is a bug then cause I haven't unlocked any magic as far as I'm aware.
Is it possible to increse augmentation speed? Is that what "energy power" does?

I'm not sure it's really a bug cause there's info about magic in the EXP screen. If I were something I'd just make it blood magic everywhere instead of magic in some places and blood magic in others. As for energy power something said that it boosts the power of energy for augmentations and time machine which in a roundabout way is what you said; it probably multiplies the effect of energy so pulling numbers out of my rear end if you had 10 EP instead of the time to gain a level of an augment being divided by 1x your energy it's 1.1x or maybe 2x or something. Note I don't know how the actual math works, I haven't bought any EP myself because I still gotta make my energy bars better.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Oh yeah, I unlocked magic now, it just showed up about 3 bosses too early in the rebirth screen.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

FailAtMagic posted:

In build 284 and the forest pendant has no stats

https://pastebin.com/zuV51eLe

Intentional and trolled hard, son.

(But keep merging them, something will happen eventually)

Also what's this about something appearing 3 bosses early? Sounds like a holdout bug from when i didn't have the first 3 bosses in at all (which you all suggested adding in btw).

something fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 7, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

something posted:

Also what's this about something appearing 3 bosses early? Sounds like a holdout bug from when i didn't have the first 3 bosses in at all (which you all suggested adding in btw).

I always thought that was a silly change but I'm clearly in the minority on that point. "Blood Magic Bonus" shows up in the rebirth screen at the third or fourth giant mole, so about 3 bosses before you actually unlock magic and the Blood Magic menu.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

shs posted:

I play ITRTG on steam, it runs a lot better than the Kong version does.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

I always thought that was a silly change but I'm clearly in the minority on that point. "Blood Magic Bonus" shows up in the rebirth screen at the third or fourth giant mole, so about 3 bosses before you actually unlock magic and the Blood Magic menu.

Got that fixed now, thanks.

VVV I can take a shot at implementing that some time for sure.

something fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 8, 2017

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Are there hotkeys to switch between the pages in NGU? Like smashing 1, 2, 3, to change between attack, defense training, boss fight etc?

Because that'd be very handy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Wait, can you merge items from the getgo? I thought I had to unlock that first.
So what a does a sword+1 even do?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
+1% to max stats of a given item, caps at +100, or +100% max stats.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Regarding ITRTG:

I now have a high enough clone cap, enough CC from crystals, and enough Might levels on the planet to have the two Ultimate Beings I have unlocked on farm if I set Autofill to 140k.

If I leave autofill on when I log off, will it continue functioning and killing Ultimate Beings for energy for me while I’m offline?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

something posted:

This is bad because it only punishes players who don't know about it ahead of time and doesn't do anything to anyone who "knows" about it.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
I got sick of playing NGU in incognito in Chrome, and fired up Edge for about the first time ever.

It wont let me save my game. Local quicksave does seem to work, but when I ask it to export it just thinks very hard until I refresh the page.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

something posted:

Ok that's fine but You should hint at it in the item desc at least :D

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Regarding ITRTG:

I now have a high enough clone cap, enough CC from crystals, and enough Might levels on the planet to have the two Ultimate Beings I have unlocked on farm if I set Autofill to 140k.

If I leave autofill on when I log off, will it continue functioning and killing Ultimate Beings for energy for me while I’m offline?
UBs don't attack while you're offline, unfortunately.

They do respawn while you're offline so you can quickly kill them all the moment you restart the game though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So for the record I played a bunch of NGU and missed the little part about merging equipment together... which means I got to the broken time machine while still being stuck in the sewer. Funny how little the adventure seems to matter to the rest of the game and vice versa outside of EXP usage when you play the way I did. So I'm still in the sewer and I just unlocked magic haha. Whoops! I was wondering why the forest was such a huge leap in difficulty but now I know why.

Edit: BTW your game is good. Keep up the good work. Outside of better tying together the Adventure mode and the rest of the game (in such a way I wouldn't so stupidly ignore the item merging part or be able to skip past Adventuring the way I did) I think it's pretty solid as is (as far as I'm in, anyway.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Merijn posted:

I have a separate Chrome window for RG but it has a few other tabs. RG is always the foreground tab. Why do the other tabs matter?

If you make one of the other tabs active, tabs that are in the same window as your idler, the idler will slow down. Much the same as if you minimized the window. Or am i misunderstanding your question?