Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It just needs to age some more, like fine wine turned to vinegar. It will turn your eyes to dust as you pass your gaze over the brutal beatdowns delivered in a textual style that would make Hemingway weep.

Complaining about a game you no longer play? BOOM! Roasted.
Stating what everyone already knows over and over? BOOM! Roasted.
Giving advice that was outdated 1 year ago when you last played the game? BOOM! Roasted.
Posting terrible builds and arguing that they are good because they "work for you"? BOOM! Roasted.
Trying to get people to stop playing the game because you dislike decisions made by PGI while MWO was still in open beta? loving obliterated my friend.

Eating the poo poo? Priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TjyvTompa posted:

It just needs to age some more, like fine wine turned to vinegar. It will turn your eyes to dust as you pass your gaze over the brutal beatdowns delivered in a textual style that would make Hemingway weep.

Complaining about a game you no longer play? BOOM! Roasted.
Stating what everyone already knows over and over? BOOM! Roasted.
Giving advice that was outdated 1 year ago when you last played the game? BOOM! Roasted.
Posting terrible builds and arguing that they are good because they "work for you"? BOOM! Roasted.
Trying to get people to stop playing the game because you dislike decisions made by PGI while MWO was still in open beta? loving obliterated my friend.

Eating the poo poo? Priceless.

First one and the last two (three if you count the poo poo) aren't me but you've got me with the middle two, sure.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Well poo poo. I didn't exactly have anything prepared per se, but TjyvTompa did give a basic idea. However, it was going to be a message/commentary for new(er) players in general.

I will preface this by saying that I'm not a white knight for PGI in the least. I have always been very critical of PGI. But there is a general poor attitude towards this game permeating this thread. An attitude that is mostly conveyed by older players who no longer play and/or aren't relevant. Often times you see the same old complaints from the same people. This tends to turn off new players from the game who go on parroting the same complaints while not truly understanding them in the first place. This is not to say that MWO is a perfect game or that PGI is a good company that automatically deserves your money. There are many issues. Design. Balance. Financial. Due to poor management, the game has had some very low points over the years. That being said, it's actually gotten much better compared to what it used to be. Despite the new skill tree, the F2P model is not bad. With constant events now, you are able to pick up a mechbay or new mech from time to time. It's viable to play completely for free if that's your kind of thing. There are temporary paywalls with the new mechs, but not for long. The game itself is very fun overall. Problems for most people are derived from lack of skill and not understanding game mechanics. This is one of the major issues in this thread. The majority of the advice given here is appalling. There is a common belief that if it works for someone then it is good. However, this is a fallacy. Things that work for most people are mediocre at best. Averaging one kill and 300 damage per game is not a good performance, especially for those playing larger mechs. Yet these are the type of people that will be the first to give opinions. Saying this is quite harsh, but its the sad reality. For anyone looking for real advice, take this thread with a grain of salt. Find some competent players or clans to learn from. Even if your aim is to run gimmick builds, you will still be better off learning from someone that knows how to build effectively. Most importantly, give this game a proper chance. You might not think PGI deserves it, and that's perfectly fine. They have made an effort to improve over the past couple of years. Whether voluntarily or out of necessity is debatable. PGI aside, the game itself is fun and rewarding once you get the hang of it.

TLDR: Goons are dumb and bad. I'll clean this up when I feel motivated enough.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

johntherussian posted:

However, it was going to be a message/commentary for new(er) players in general.

What new players?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Mwo is garbage. The gameplay is just standard mw multiplayer parcelled out into ten min chunks on lovely samey maps with a pointless wait in the middle. There are so many obvious improvments that could be made to the UI, gameplay, environments, graphics, how the mechs are modelled its absurd. PGI are just absolute crap. Mwll is as fun and was made by enthusiasts years ago for free.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'll be quite honest, I wish MWLL was still alive because trying to play MWO again is just making me miss MWLL more. Right now I'm treating MWO like a "Well, I guess this is ok" fighting robot simulator game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Office Thug posted:

I'll be quite honest, I wish MWLL was still alive because trying to play MWO again is just making me miss MWLL more. Right now I'm treating MWO like a "Well, I guess this is ok" fighting robot simulator game.

I have Good news!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
As long as I'm having fun, it's a good game by personal standards. I'll end up playing this game until I grow tired of it or they close the servers down. That being said...

The Thanatos is pretty wide... not sure how wide it is compared to its counterparts I haven't seen the side by side they show when mechs come out. But that missile fist I suspect is going to get ripped off quickly. So I'll probably build it like a heavy version of the Osiris and slap a bitchload of Rockets in that fist and pulses/lasers in the rest. Blow your rocket load on the more annoying mech, and then fall back to a mid range support.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

nice meltdown.

you’re channeling modpud. gg close.

I still play, and even have fun... mostly to entertain the toddler (I let him steer/shoot). there are just more important things (to me) than caring about being an e-gold medalist in the e-special olympics. :shrug:

you two dudes are just being e-dicks tho.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I still lurk this thread but don't really post because I don't play MWO anymore. I keep it installed incase WoL admin things need doing, that's about it. You all also know me as a fervent hater of :pgi:.

That being said, Jon has a very valid point.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

armchairyoda posted:

nice meltdown.

you’re channeling modpud. gg close.

I still play, and even have fun... mostly to entertain the toddler (I let him steer/shoot). there are just more important things (to me) than caring about being an e-gold medalist in the e-special olympics. :shrug:

you two dudes are just being e-dicks tho.

TFW you trying to convince people to be reasonable gets you branded as an angry cheating shitter.

I guess I'll be changing my name to conservativecustard now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I, too, lurk this thread without having played MWO for some time.

I keep thinking one day the game will be good or shut down forever, either way I just want to be there when it happens.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Well, anyway, I've been doing extremely well in an MRM 50 Atlas D-DC. The extra range makes a huge difference, and the damage spread is no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Still can't fight lights, but you can wreck pretty much anything else.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

johntherussian posted:

TFW you trying to convince people to be reasonable gets you branded as an angry cheating shitter.

I guess I'll be changing my name to conservativecustard now.

No, not as a cheater. It’s the constant stream of “GIT GUD” in an irrellavent e-sports game that should never be taken seriously.

And that you get so passive-aggressive mad about it. That, good sir, is what a modpud makes. Also: Try “liberalsoup”, it’s shorter.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm sorry you got offended because someone insinuated you could be bad at a videogame.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
...b*****tch

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Office Thug posted:

MWLL is in active development and has a pretty steady playerbase!

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

Well, anyway, I've been doing extremely well in an MRM 50 Atlas D-DC. The extra range makes a huge difference, and the damage spread is no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Still can't fight lights, but you can wreck pretty much anything else.

They work well for me too on the 7S!

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

armchairyoda posted:

No, not as a cheater. It’s the constant stream of “GIT GUD” in an irrellavent e-sports game that should never be taken seriously.

And that you get so passive-aggressive mad about it. That, good sir, is what a modpud makes. Also: Try “liberalsoup”, it’s shorter.

It's funny, because your comments are very timely. This is the perfect example of the type of person I was describing. There is an fiercely casual attitude in this thread, so I was completely prepared at any backlash resulting from my post. It's strange that in a game, where the point is to challenge yourself to get better results, there would be individuals that are so vehemently against progressing. Any reasonable person will read this and see that it is not only your garden variety "git gud" post. If it motivates one or two people to play the game and keep playing it, then I've achieved my goal. If you feel insulted by what I've wrote then perhaps playing a game more relevant to you would remedy the situation. I, however, find it fun and always enjoy having more people to play with.

As far as names go, "liberalsoup" is a poor choice which doesn't follow the proper syntax. You should GIT GUD with your knowledge of egg-based desserts. Something such as "liberalmousse" would be more appropriate.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I haven't tried the Centurion with MRMs yet. I should try that tonight. Of all my mechs that MRMs have helped, I'm surprised that the Anansi got a major shot in the arm. It does pretty good with light PPCs too, but the MRMs seem to work better overall. It's nice to outdamage the rest of the lights in a garbage mech.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

I haven't tried the Centurion with MRMs yet. I should try that tonight. Of all my mechs that MRMs have helped, I'm surprised that the Anansi got a major shot in the arm. It does pretty good with light PPCs too, but the MRMs seem to work better overall. It's nice to outdamage the rest of the lights in a garbage mech.

ON1-K MRM40 & UAC2O. MRMs are pretty darn fun.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

The Anansi is the spider hero? what is your MRM build for it?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There have been a lot of, ah, questionable balance decisions in the last year, but the way most of the new weapons work isn't one of those. MRMs, HGs, RACs, HLs- they're all designed to be good on mechs with small numbers of hardpoints. For the longest time anything with a mix of missile hardpoints generally sucked because what the gently caress do you do with two missile hardpoints. Now, you can drop two MRM30s into a HBK-4SP or two 40s into a CPLT-C1 etc. and you have a very functional mech that makes good use of its missile hardpoints and generally receives pretty decent quirks because it used to be shafted by the low hardpoint counts.

I do wish MRMs were a bit better at midrange, past about 400m the spread, travel time, and duration of firing all combine to make them pretty bad against anything that's not slow or with a big surface area. It's like the worst qualities of lasers, ballistics, and missiles all in one weapon system, though none of the individual characteristics are as bad as on an archetypal weapon of traditional sort. Still, they're fun to use, and the sandblasting effect makes me feel good about myself with the high end of round damage numbers.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The Anansi is the spider hero? what is your MRM build for it?

It's just 2 ER-ML, 2 LMG or MG, and 1 MRM 10. That's it. You need all of the Radar Dep nodes, and don't engage fresh to fairly healthy lights without someone to run back to. The MRM 10 just gives you a better engagement range. MRMs give you the opportunity to reach out and touch enemy mechs butts from longer away, while not relying totally on 2 LMGs, which with only 2 have really poor damage, and 2 ER-ML. While the Anansi is still a garbage fire mech, just switching to the MRM 10 made a huge difference in my match performance. I am getting more kills and damage by taking advantage of the range boost. It helps if you know the standard map flow as well. While I stringently believe that you can make any mech work if you are willing to put the time in it, if you are thinking of buying an Anansi, don't. If you do own one, try using the MRM 10 in the CT, or making it a light PPC harasser.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

if you are thinking of buying an Anansi, don't.

You know I can't help but get lovely mechs, it's my downfall.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Stringbean posted:

You know I can't help but get lovely mechs, it's my downfall.

Yeah, but this one costs you MC. Save that for mech bays, decals, and the soon-to-be mech geometry cosmetics.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

MWLL is in active development and has a pretty steady playerbase!

Welp, I'll reinstall Crysis when I get home. Can't wait to scalp some Atlases in my Elemental suit :getin:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
MWLL has a standalone installer/patcher/launcher now! No complicated stuff, just hit one button and go!

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Yes! More MW:LL players, please.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

I for one appreciate the insight.

The game is good, the company is bad, and I think i'm mostly doing it wrong but i'm enjoying things as I get better.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Sterling_Archer posted:

I for one appreciate the insight.

The game is good, the company is bad, and I think i'm mostly doing it wrong but i'm enjoying things as I get better.

For what it's worth, this is basically where I'm at. Most of my criticism of the game comes from poor choices of spawns on the maps, but even that can be alleviated by taking builds that go 60kph or faster.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

For what it's worth, this is basically where I'm at. Most of my criticism of the game comes from poor choices of spawns on the maps, but even that can be alleviated by taking builds that go 60kph or faster.

I pretty much refuse to get into a new mech until I get the proper engine and speed skills for it. So far it's done wonders in reducing my frustration with the game.

The Arctic Cheetah I bought also helps my experience a lot. The little fucker is really fast and fun. I love coring mechs with random through-armor criticals with all those small pulse lasers it has.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Office Thug posted:

The Arctic Cheetah I bought also helps my experience a lot. The little fucker is really fast and fun. I love coring mechs with random through-armor criticals with all those small pulse lasers it has.

MWO doesn't have through-amor-crits like Battletech. You are just eating armor fast enough that you are getting to the internals.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

The Repo Man posted:

MWO doesn't have through-amor-crits like Battletech. You are just eating armor fast enough that you are getting to the internals.

Really? Sometimes I just instantly kill mechs (even Assaults) despite still chewing through their back armor and their internal being blue.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

Anyone have a good ebj build for faction play? or a good huntsman build?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Huntsman do you want scouting or the boring gametypes? For scouting Huntsman is probably gonna wanna look like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=461&l=e52f6605d66184dd1da8e28b384ca64fa2406f65 though some people prefer removing two of the SRMs for a few lasers.

EBJ is probably going to be 2HLL/3-4 ER ML depending on how you want to set it up; 3 lets you do all super high torso mounts and you can strip arm armor, 4 gives you a bigger alpha.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

lol, that was a reply to two sentences, bitching about a dead/gay game, :goonsay:, in tyool2017.

g
g

c
l
o
s
e

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Sterling_Archer posted:

Anyone have a good ebj build for faction play? or a good huntsman build?

This is a standard Ebon Jag build:

These two are Huntsmen I use for scouting:

The second Huntsman is a bit unorthodox, but it works nicely in terms of heat management.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
use smurfy you loving choads, stop posting screenshots of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

johntherussian posted:

This is a standard Ebon Jag build:

These two are Huntsmen I use for scouting:

The second Huntsman is a bit unorthodox, but it works nicely in terms of heat management.

Would it be worth doing the ebj build on a b chassis for an 8 set bonus?

like so: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=282&l=c5ba570087fee848dc17a30815981da196cb5fa8

Sterling_Archer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 12, 2017

• Locked thread