Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Recoome posted:

Maybe it is better in sim?? Who knows, bad planes can be okay in sim

many of the benefits of the 190 are in sim

the first 190s have artificial horizons and outrun similar tiered allied planes

visibility is amazing (can't see behind you in a p47)

tons of ammo. cannon ammo.

roll rate is also way more exploitable in sim because of the limitations

but yeah, practically any plane is good in sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Recoome posted:

190s used to be good when every other plane it faced was bad and couldn't climb, but now are bad because the rigid BnZ style of the 190 is really old hat and extremely predictable.

Maybe it is better in sim?? Who knows, bad planes can be okay in sim

Who have you been playing against? Russians? Because I can guarantee you that old hat 190 climb-and-kill tactics still work 90% of the time against Americans, who have only recently learned that altitude is life. They still need to learn ACM in order to be effective. I try my damnedest to fly my USA planes properly, but I'm usually the only one to climb and I get stuck engaging a half dozen germans at one time while the rest of the team achieves their dreams of being flying lawnmowers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

the rest of the team achieves their dreams of being flying lawnmowers.

The engine sounds update must be like plane ASMR to them.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

flying lawnmowers

I thought the new P-47 engine sounded familiar.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Recoome posted:

190s used to be good
190s are still the best planes for headon > flip 180 degrees > survive
and when you're a goddamn nutbag pilot like I am you can win turnfights

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I prefer planes that can win against 100% of opponents instead of 90% of pubbies.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah but japan is the most fun tree in the game if you don't want to spend all game playing for position

they have their own tigercat now which is about as untouchable as it gets tho

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For Japan, which belts should I be using on the A6M5 Ko exactly? No problem dancing with an entire team of UFOs and it feels so good, the problem is dealing more than Breda-SAFAT damage on something not a flat surface.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Sard posted:

Picture two planes flying, one pursuing the other, and imagine two lines projecting from each plane: the flight path, and the gun trajectory.

Time works the same way

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grumio posted:

Time works the same way

Johnny Five Aces-in-a-Day

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

For Japan, which belts should I be using on the A6M5 Ko exactly? No problem dancing with an entire team of UFOs and it feels so good, the problem is dealing more than Breda-SAFAT damage on something not a flat surface.

they're all weak relative to the other guns

the best trick is to plink with the mg using tracers and then save cannon ammo for kill shots by raking their cockpit once they turn. or play an a7m and not worry about bullets

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Japan and Italy are the g e t c l o s e r nations which reward being right on the rear end of the bad dudes

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Thief posted:

they're all weak relative to the other guns

the best trick is to plink with the mg using tracers and then save cannon ammo for kill shots by raking their cockpit once they turn. or play an a7m and not worry about bullets

Thanks, oh well, I have a talisman on the B7A2 for the times I need to nuke planes :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Recoome posted:

Japan and Italy are the g e t c l o s e r nations which reward being right on the rear end of the bad dudes

This is only really true for low-tier Italy though. After the first C.205 they just cram a bunch of German cannons into everything.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Serie 1 C.205 is extremely fun

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Recoome posted:

The Italian Fighter tree is extremely fun

FTFY

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

MrLonghair posted:

Stealth. It has the most HEF. The problem with half the belts is HEF-T, for the Type 99 cannon the HEF-T has half the explosive that HEF has.

Your lack of damage in general is related to the rate of fire, though. The cannons sucked poo poo IRL.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I wouldn't use stealth on a Zero. I'm not a cyberace so the tracers are useful when I'm in a good position to put sustained fire on a target, which is what the Zero is good at. Universal belts also have an AP shell which can be used to kill light tanks which exist on some maps; you find yourself with half your team alive and only one or two enemies left in space or in airfield too often, so you might as well take advantage of what is the most lucrative ground targets in the game.

MrLonghair posted:

The problem Japan has is their small calibre MGs suck rear end, and the Zeros don't generally carry a ton of cannon ammo. You should be using your MGs and cannons separately, using the MGs to plink the target on uncertain shots, then pump 20mm shells in them when they are flying more level. The MGs can get a kill, but it means you're going to be following your target right on his rear end for a good consistent 30s before you pile on enough bullets to kill the pilot or break a wing.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The only time you should be using tracers in a Japanese plane is for the 30mm, because the 30mm HEF-T shells are much faster than every other shell. For the 20mm, the HEF-T does less than half the damage of the regular HEF; this doesn't really matter against fighters but you'll probably notice the difference against a bomber damage model. Stick to universal belts for navy planes for better HEF and an AP shell that crits like a champ, and use stealth for army planes because every other Ho-5 belt loving sucks.

I'm glad we've finally come back around to belt chat.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sard posted:

The only time you should be using tracers in a Japanese plane is for the 30mm, because the 30mm HEF-T shells are much faster than every other shell. For the 20mm, the HEF-T does less than half the damage of the regular HEF; this doesn't really matter against fighters but you'll probably notice the difference against a bomber damage model. Stick to universal belts for navy planes for better HEF and an AP shell that crits like a champ, and use stealth for army planes because every other Ho-5 belt loving sucks.

I'm glad we've finally come back around to belt chat.

Depends, are the HEF-T shells the first one loaded into the belt? Because it was proven a while back that War Thunder only uses the velocity of the first round loaded into a belt. First bullet fast, the rest slow? Then they'll all come out fast. First one slow, the rest fast? They'll all come out slow.

Of course this was a while ago so it could be changed/fixed by now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVHHANfMxQ

here is a helpful guide on how to kill a p51d in a 190 anton. please study it

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
lol indeed.

What gives though, when I see 190s out in the wild I feel like they're basically free kills as far as single-engine aircraft go. Are people just terrible at them?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Nickiepoo posted:

lol indeed.

What gives though, when I see 190s out in the wild I feel like they're basically free kills as far as single-engine aircraft go. Are people just terrible at them?

Pretty much. In sim ec they can be a threat when the pilot takes 10 minutes to get into position and strictly b&z's, but that's really rare and not too difficult to defend against unless it's a squad or you're already engaged. In sim tanks they're just free kills, since everyone uses them as bomb trucks and they're struggling to stay above stall speeds.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Weird, if you want a German bomb truck just grab an Me 410 or even a Do 217E. Fw 190's are a lovely compromise of features where they're clearly designed to kill the poo poo out of planes and maybe carry bombs but they're just garbage enough at plane killing that practically speaking and despite clearly superior maneuverability, the P-47 is better.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Yeah it doesn't make sense, but there's usually a few of them each round lugging a 500 or 1000kg. Half the time they don't even make it to the battlefield before getting murdered.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

190 + stealth belts own in sim tanks because every other plane is under the clouds and you can bnz w/impunity from as low as 2km alt so long as you follow the dicta boelcke - especially #7.

if yaks are present they can chase you down if they want to but won't be able to touch you before you reach friendly AAA with even minimal energy management

Sard
May 11, 2012

I have the hardest time actually spotting nearby planes low against the terrain in sim. Black dots are easy, but once they load in as proper textured models it gets spooky really fast as they vanish, over trees or bombed-out residences. Even if they're in front of me and like 800 meters away, once they dive towards a forest and their wings are barely visible as a line. Are there any settings or one weird trick for dealing with that?

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 8, 2017

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I use the contrast color correction setting with polynom tone mapping, and 5 notches of sharpening which seems to help some. Losing planes against terrain/cities is unavoidable sometimes, but they rarely disappear in front of me. I'll often lose planes after an overshoot if they're smart enough to pick a random direction and use the terrain to blend in or break line of sight temporarily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm finding mouse aim is making RB more difficult for me, since I'm struggling to swing the camera around when I go into an inverted dive to get on a target.

I've also been playing Americans too long. I forgot how weak the BF-109's elevator is. How should I be flying the G2 with mouse and keyboard?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

what were you using before, a gamepad?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
While we're on belt chat, the 30mm HVAP belts on the 229 did indeed get nerfed to HVAP/IT/IT/AP, which hurt a bit. That being said, the stealth belts are full AP, and 60mm is enough to pen the engine and sides of plenty late war tanks.

Also, the Me 410 B6 and the Hs-129B-2 still get full HVAP belts for their 103s. Flying the duck around like a really lovely A-10 has been a ton of fun recently, and you can kill all the light tanks in the game, and most of the US and Brit mediums with clean side or engine approaches.

Can't wait to get the 410, the Duck is great but god drat is it slow.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 9, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thief posted:

what were you using before, a gamepad?

No, I've stuck with mouse and keyboard the whole way through, but switching to a different nation my flight patterns have changed and my USA habits are at odds with the new odd angles I find the camera at.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Nickiepoo posted:

lol indeed.

When I see 190s in the wild they're usually low and slow and/or following a bomber directly behind and asking to get shot in the face by a tailgunner. Pubbies are bad at this game, and frankly in general people are bad at air combat in planes. It's just not a skillset that can draw on much in the way of analogous experience.

190s:
Pros:
1. Goes fast
2. Has the firepower of a heavy fighter.
3. Amazing roll rate
4. Big radial engine in the front can both take a lot of damage while still working and is a pretty effective shield for the pilot

Cons:
1. Flies like a heavy fighter.

The big thing here is most of a 190's features make it really good at head-ons, pure BnZ attacks, some very specific clever maneuvers maximizing that roll rate, and hunting bombers. It helps to think of em as heavy fighters with bizarrely good roll rate and fly em like they're a big twin engine bruiser. Pubbies default to flying everything like it's a loving biplane, which the 190 is utterly terrible at impersonating. In Arcade 190s wind up actually quite good across a large swath of BRs because bomber spam on objectives is an actual thing that needs folks countering, tons of idiots will gladly head-on a fw190 (or anything at all ever, really) and in a big furball of respawning planes the short time-to-kill on the ample guns + the high speeds make the fw190 a good choice for racking up a lot of kills in a hurry before dying, which unlike in RB, you were going to do multiple times anyway most likely.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Guess it's time to figure out how to make a CDK SPAA practice map :v:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I honestly used to prefer 190s over 109s (very controversial opinion itt) because I really prefer going fast and actually having good guns. These days I don't really mind because I do like how agile the 109 is in a very weird way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How does the Allison engine P-51 with the hispanos fare in RB? It was painful to level up in Arcade but once the engine injection finally unlocked its speed it became a murder machine. Since most RB combat tends to take place around or below 5km, I'm wondering if the Allison engine's poor high altitude performance might be mostly ignored.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

How does the Allison engine P-51 with the hispanos fare in RB? It was painful to level up in Arcade but once the engine injection finally unlocked its speed it became a murder machine. Since most RB combat tends to take place around or below 5km, I'm wondering if the Allison engine's poor high altitude performance might be mostly ignored.

That thing is better as an arcade plane than it is as an RB one but it's certainly workable.

chairface posted:

Pubbies default to flying everything like it's a loving biplane

I feel like this is the key issue, yeah, because even when the pubbie isn't being dumb in the ways listed above they normally seem to have either bled their energy already or will happily do so with elevator maneuvers once engaged.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 9, 2017

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
The a-35b in the french tree is pretty great. 6 50 cals and a bomber spawn can be parlayed into some bomber/fighter kills pretty easily. Especially if you're a goddamn aerial genius knight of the sky, like me

Sard
May 11, 2012

thats not candy posted:

I use the contrast color correction setting with polynom tone mapping, and 5 notches of sharpening which seems to help some. Losing planes against terrain/cities is unavoidable sometimes, but they rarely disappear in front of me. I'll often lose planes after an overshoot if they're smart enough to pick a random direction and use the terrain to blend in or break line of sight temporarily.

The new UI doesn't have notches, would you mind posting a screenshot of your postfx settings? I have my sharpness pretty low, might be part of my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu1C2OyI4a8