Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Frod99 posted:

Hi, does Dominions 5 make any of the unfun parts of Dominions less unfun, or did it instead only make the fun parts more fun?

It depends.

(It depends what you consider the fun parts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wait Dom5 is out?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frod99 posted:

Hi, does Dominions 5 make any of the unfun parts of Dominions less unfun, or did it instead only make the fun parts more fun?

It is infinitely more fun, because we are unable to play it and therefore have negative fun

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Wait Dom5 is out?

If the devs aren't running into delays, this month is supposed to be release.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Frod99 posted:

some and yes

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Dom 5 has real time battles, Dom 6 can have fully animated sprites for all of the hundreds of units, achieved with only 2 devs by using neural networks.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqxqbvyOnMY

Theres alot of focus on networks for generating photo real game graphics, but I think it will interesting where you can use it to bulk produce art assets with less people involved, by getting a computer to predict in between frames and do the repetitive and time consuming rendering of surfaces and objects.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Libluini posted:

If the devs aren't running into delays, this month is supposed to be release.
They edited November out of the announcement on their steam forum post. So, probably not this month?

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Diogines posted:

They edited November out of the announcement on their steam forum post. So, probably not this month?

:smith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

Hah! First delay of the game, how cute. :allears:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Diogines posted:

Good. This month is obnoxiously busy already, so extra time is welcome.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
::qq:: November is still on their webpage though.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

http://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

November 27th, not a Thursday.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hey, that's the day when I get payed for the month, this means I can get it immediately without having to look first if I still have money left over from November. Perfect!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

goddamn it why am i going to buy this

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I just... gotta know how badly balanced this thing is going to be at release. I wanna be there to be wiped out by an army of something that's immortal and ethereal that cost 25 gold, or whatever.

These are the people that think water nations are fun and blood is balanced after years of Dom4 being out. Release month is going to be wild.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

I just... gotta know how badly balanced this thing is going to be at release.

Whether or not MA Ermor remains permabanned from Goon games will be the true test of balance.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

I just... gotta know how badly balanced this thing is going to be at release. I wanna be there to be wiped out by an army of something that's immortal and ethereal that cost 25 gold, or whatever.

These are the people that think water nations are fun and blood is balanced after years of Dom4 being out. Release month is going to be wild.

It has always been and always will be poorly balanced. It's too insane and varied to be terribly balanced though they do try to at least remove the most egregious poo poo and kill mechanics that make the game more micro intensive and terrible to play. So 3 hitlers out of 5 instead of 5 out of 5.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I think the balance isn't too big of an issue given its a 10+ player free for all game. Hypothetically being a strong blood/whatever nation means you have the "penalty" of an increased frequency of nations ganging up against you.

Edit:
The video of the realtime combat at

looks pretty good! I like that they added in flying units dropping down from above, thats a nice touch.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 10, 2017

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

I think the balance isn't too big of an issue given its a 10+ player free for all game. Hypothetically being a strong blood/whatever nation means you have the "penalty" of an increased frequency of nations ganging up against you.

Edit:
The video of the realtime combat at

looks pretty good! I like that they added in flying units dropping down from above, thats a nice touch.

Dammit, I'm sold now. :(

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gonna be a busy month.

e: The real time battles also look fantastic compared to the old system.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 10, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I think this might be the Dominions that makes me take the plunge and learn how to lose at play one of these games instead of just reading LPs.

Absum
May 28, 2013

contact debug sensei now official

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I hope Illwinter makes it cheap.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Amuys posted:

I hope Illwinter

Uhhhhhhh, got some bad news for you, guy

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Yeah I'm hoping for 40€ over here.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

39.90 tops.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
5 earth gems

Frod99
Feb 16, 2011

Was the incredible amount of micro somehow reduced after the early game for dom5? Is dom5 going to be purchasable anywhere except steam?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I can't imagine Dom5 being less than forty bucks. It's a rough purchase even at that though, knowing how little I'm likely to actually play the thing. :smith:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Frod99 posted:

Was the incredible amount of micro somehow reduced after the early game for dom5?

they removed some micro in the transition from 3 to 4 so here's hoping! actually now that i think about it, real time battles should remove some of the micro since you won't have to do any pixel bitching to get the first hit. hopefully someone playing the beta can chime in with more.

Frod99
Feb 16, 2011

Troops not doing multiturn moves, recruitments not having target province automove waypoints, commanders/mages not having having default scripts, gem management, blood magic in general, that's the stuff that makes the game extremely hard to enjoy for me after the early game since they never stop growing longer every turn forever in dom3-dom4.

So, any improvements in dom5 on those matters or not?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Frod99 posted:

Was the incredible amount of micro somehow reduced after the early game for dom5? Is dom5 going to be purchasable anywhere except steam?

I think there are some alleviating-micro features like a 'army setup' screen with more information and a much more useful 'formation & orders setup' screen, where you can move all your squads now without having to switch back & forth between two screens. But apart from that point, I don't think there are big improvements in this area.You have to establish orders and position for every unit recruited, you have to establish move orders every turns instead of being able to queue them, etc.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Frod99 posted:

Troops not doing multiturn moves, recruitments not having target province automove waypoints, commanders/mages not having having default scripts, gem management, blood magic in general, that's the stuff that makes the game extremely hard to enjoy for me after the early game since they never stop growing longer every turn forever in dom3-dom4.

So, any improvements in dom5 on those matters or not?

There are hotkeys for all of these things to make it faster but the game is still very micro intensive in general. Multi turn orders wouldn't generally help since things change so fast.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

goddamn it why am i going to buy this

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
As long as it's cheaper than Dom3 was :unsmigghh:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Don't care got oil consultant money charge me $$$ wanna watch these pixel men smash

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wasn't dom4 only like $35?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm fine with most of the micro in the game, but the reason I never got more than a few games deep in Dom4 is because I can't stand the flood of mages and priest management. Site searching automation helped, but still having tons of mages as you progress for research or other tedious poo poo that had to be done with no automation. Or having to cast spells individually in the strategic layer. Or having the insanity of moving around troops in your own territory to reinforce areas near a border. I could even live with some of that if it wasn't seemingly purpose built to be as tedious as possible.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

yeah all of that stuff is the micro that every one hates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i love it, and exclusively play MA Ermor

• Locked thread