Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jason Jordan?
This poll is closed.
I feel sorry for the guy 27 14.14%
He deserved it 9 4.71%
155 81.15%
Total: 191 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still kind of think I'm a "casual viewer" at least by modern WWE standards. I mean, I know I'm not actually casual as I follow on here and DVRs every show. But like, I'm someone who theoretically will subscribe based on the strength of a PPV card or a must see match. The last matches that drew me to "buy" were Balor vs Rollins and Styles vs Cena and the main reason I am considering "buying" Survivor Series is Styles vs Brock. HHH centered matches actively turn me away at this stage and lowered my interest in Survivor Series.

Again, I can only speak for myself. I have no idea if HHH is good for subscriptions or something. And my Balor and Styles draws are clearly very "smark" inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

If he's not dead yet a feud with Bray Wyatt will end him for sure.

It'll work if Jason Jordan gets his own supernatural upgrade form, American Omega.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Jason Jordan should just cycle through old legends being his dad. Stone Cold Jordan, Nature Boy Jordan, Undertaker Jordan.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

STAC Goat posted:

Weren't they actually pretty mad they didn't make their teams too?

The 205 Live guys seem to largely be unaffected by this strange phenomena.

They didn't get shirts.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
it will never not be funny to me that vince doesn't even watch or know about NXT beyond what Hunter tells him

and people wonder why so many callups flop

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blaise330 posted:

They didn't get shirts.

They should storm the ring during RAW in purple shirts and unite with a bunch of guys in yellow NXT shirts.

It made me care about the Invasion for a week.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I'm down for mind control shirt wars for a SS storyline

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Jason Jordan should just cycle through old legends being his dad. Stone Cold Jordan, Nature Boy Jordan, Undertaker Jordan.

Orlando Jordan

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn7O1_fliTE

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think HHH, deserving or no, has just kind of become the living embodiment of how the WWE's been undercutting its own talent--half because he's HHH and shovel burial memes etc., half because he's ostensibly now one of the only people with potential influence over creative who's also still an onscreen wrestler so it grates when he goes over anyone.

It's a long-running accumulation of burials of up-and-coming talent. Zack Ryder getting humiliated for getting over on his own, CM Punk at the top of his game getting poo poo on by HHH and Nash because politics, the WWE fighting tooth and nail to keep anyone from being invested in Daniel Bryan, the almost comically cyclical squashing of Bray Wyatt until he morphs into the new Dolph Ziggler where you hate him simply for being there even forgetting that once upon a time Dolph Ziggler had the crowd invested in him and they cut his legs out from under him too, and we're dumb internet wrestling fans so the list could go on all day. The WWE just has this weird, cruel antipathy towards the talent it isn't directly focusing on getting over, and "mistreated midcarder Jason Jordan weeps while Triple H calls him a loser and kicks his rear end in front of his dad" isn't angering because people really give a poo poo about Jason loving Jordan, it's angering because it's such a pure, concentrated distillation of their inexplicable tendency to kneecap their own young talent for no reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, HHH is kind of the avatar of WWE booking. If you like WWE booking you probably are cool with HHH and think people are unfair about him. If you're tired of WWE booking you probably have a somewhat visceral or instinctive reaction to HHH and a "here we go again" response. If he wins and looks good it feels like McMahon ego booking and talent burial and if he loses it just kind of feels like a drop in the ocean.

How "fair" it is, I don't know. But it's just where we're at.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CarlCX posted:

it's angering because it's such a pure, concentrated distillation of their inexplicable tendency to kneecap their own young talent for no reason.

I mean, it's not for NO reason. Establishing a pecking order on the card is not a pointless exercise in wrestling, even if it damages an upwardly mobile young talent. I doubt many people threw a fit when Stone Cold buried Lance Storm for example, and its not like Lance ever recovered in singles from that storyline. And just because a guy gets a ceiling set on him early in his career does not mean that ceiling won't get broken later in their career.

The issue with WWE is almost never WHAT they do, because their decisions can often be justified in theory. The issue is WHY they do it. Their objectives, both long and short term, at least insofar as we can deduce them from the booking, are almost all really stupid and self-defeating.

The only real question is whether those objective are arrived at through incompetence or malice. Or both.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If young debuting stars The Rock and Austin entered NXT today as new talent they'd never get over. We'd be bitching that Stunning Steve Austin is getting another US Title run and always badding midcarder Rocky Maivia for only being there as a legacy.

It's not really a question of whether or not young stars are succeeding or not in current WWE, it's a question of how much better these talents could be if they were actually allowed to experiment and be themselves and get over organically with the crowds.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

triple h is the goddamn worst of all time period, fight me

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

It'll work if Jason Jordan gets his own supernatural upgrade form, American Omega.

He should be in American Beta where he and his partner can never get dates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's not really a question of whether or not young stars are succeeding or not in current WWE, it's a question of how much better these talents could be if they were actually allowed to experiment and be themselves and get over organically with the crowds.

It isn't always going to work, obviously, but just look at somebody like Juice Robinson who was spinning his wheels in a go-nowhere gimmick in NXT and wisely decided to leave, and because he was a good dude that people liked he got help to make connections in Japan where he has done phenomenally well.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, it's not for NO reason. Establishing a pecking order on the card is not a pointless exercise in wrestling, even if it damages an upwardly mobile young talent. I doubt many people threw a fit when Stone Cold buried Lance Storm for example, and its not like Lance ever recovered in singles from that storyline. And just because a guy gets a ceiling set on him early in his career does not mean that ceiling won't get broken later in their career.

The issue with WWE is almost never WHAT they do, because their decisions can often be justified in theory. The issue is WHY they do it. Their objectives, both long and short term, at least insofar as we can deduce them from the booking, are almost all really stupid and self-defeating.

The only real question is whether those objective are arrived at through incompetence or malice. Or both.

I think there's a difference between pecking-order booking and kneecapping, and it's mostly contextual. When Austin buried Storm it was after he'd already been basically resigned to irrelevance, so using him to further cement Sheriff Austin wasn't as rankling particularly as Austin was establishing himself as a structural part of the show and Storm was just being laterally moved from "jobber" to "embarrassed jobber." Jason Jordan is a young prospect in the middle of what's supposed to be the biggest push of his career who's recently been put over the rest of the midcard and elevated to the main event of a pay-per-view, and he got punked out in the most humiliating fashion possible by someone who hadn't been on the show in half a year and will almost certainly not be a regular. It's not that sacrificing one wrestler for another is inherently bad, that's just how storylines work; it's a question of if the sacrifice is a good one, and if you want the person on the losing end to be salvageable, which they've proven to be way too careless about.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

CarlCX posted:

It's a long-running accumulation of burials of up-and-coming talent. Zack Ryder getting humiliated for getting over on his own, CM Punk at the top of his game getting poo poo on by HHH and Nash because politics, the WWE fighting tooth and nail to keep anyone from being invested in Daniel Bryan, the almost comically cyclical squashing of Bray Wyatt until he morphs into the new Dolph Ziggler where you hate him simply for being there even forgetting that once upon a time Dolph Ziggler had the crowd invested in him and they cut his legs out from under him too, and we're dumb internet wrestling fans so the list could go on all day. The WWE just has this weird, cruel antipathy towards the talent it isn't directly focusing on getting over, and "mistreated midcarder Jason Jordan weeps while Triple H calls him a loser and kicks his rear end in front of his dad" isn't angering because people really give a poo poo about Jason loving Jordan, it's angering because it's such a pure, concentrated distillation of their inexplicable tendency to kneecap their own young talent for no reason.

I always look at this as WWE not wanting strong midcarders who gain popularity(but he's not interested in as top guys) to leave and go somewhere else and bring fans with them to other promotions. He probably sees that sort of thing as digging his own grave like with Razor Ramon and Diesel going back over to WCW and making huge waves. So now you have Vince's hand-picked few who he's going to keep for the long term and those few guys will always look extremely strong. And all these talented midcarders won't look even half as strong, and that is because they are FAILURES, and we are reminded of that on a constant basis. And when they wind up leaving the company that's why. They just couldn't achieve greatness, so who would ever want them?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gumball Gumption posted:

When was the last time someone even walked away from a Triple H feud looking better? The Seth face turn was an awful build and match. Roman lost the belt, Dean got buried, and then Roman got the belt back to the same boos. The Authority vs Roman was very very very bad. I really don't think "He puts over the babyface" works because the last few times he has shown up the feud was bad and the baby face was probably Roman.

The root problem in all those HHH feuds was Roman. It's the same problem with Brock feuds now. Everything has gotta make Roman look strong, nothing else matters

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OP updated with Smackdown results and updated Champions graphic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got to see Braun Strowman sell Shane McMahon's punches. Holy poo poo.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Defiance Industries posted:

The root problem in all those HHH feuds was Roman. It's the same problem with Brock feuds now. Everything has gotta make Roman look strong, nothing else matters

The root problem in the HHH/Rollins feud was Roman?

(That build being awful was on Rollins too, in fairness to HHH)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
member when roman killed braun

and now they're standing together because ~team red~

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

The root problem in the HHH/Rollins feud was Roman?

(That build being awful was on Rollins too, in fairness to HHH)

The Seth face turn was horribly mistimed and led to a janky, terrible feud because they didn't turn him face when he came back from injury when he was indisputably at his most over. They didn't turn him face so he could, wait for it, be a heel against Roman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... Paige is the 5th woman on the blue side, right?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Eli Wiggum posted:

Braun: I AM FINISHED WITH YOU. Let's acknowledge our differences like gentlemen and move on with our lives.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I hate this buildup and I hate interesting and fresh angles that lead to big exciting brawls and I also can't wrap my mind around the concept of rivals all coming together as members of RAW to represent their team despite the bad blood between them.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

tweet my meat posted:

I hate this buildup and I hate interesting and fresh angles that lead to big exciting brawls and I also can't wrap my mind around the concept of rivals all coming together as members of RAW to represent their team despite the bad blood between them.

Haven't they been doing tshirt wars since the 2000s?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Vince really wants to do the Invasion angle again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Blaise330 posted:

Haven't they been doing tshirt wars since the 2000s?

Only once a year. It's a good way to shake things up and leads to some cool inter-roster matches that are pipe dreams most of the year.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Rhonne posted:

Vince really wants to do the Invasion angle again.

Alberto invades with GFW during Paige's match. Alberto proceeds to not show up for any blowoff matches during the angle.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eli Wiggum posted:

He was finished with him. He matured, and moved on, like an adult. I'm proud of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
All babyfaces are neutral towards all other babyfaces, even if they've had bloodfeuds before one of them turned.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

All babyfaces are neutral towards all other babyfaces, even if they've had bloodfeuds before one of them turned.

Daniel Bryan loving hated AJ Styles back at Mania season and now he's being his pitchman for Survivor Series.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Claiming victory over the subscription podcast/newsletter industry on how the Owens/Zayn story played out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

tweet my meat posted:

Only once a year. It's a good way to shake things up and leads to some cool inter-roster matches that are pipe dreams most of the year.

Yeah man Miz vs. Corbin is a real barn-burner dream match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

Claiming victory over the subscription podcast/newsletter industry on how the Owens/Zayn story played out.

Okay.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Since 205 Live's roster has barely changed in a year... has everybody feuded with everybody yet? I see they're doing Swann vs Kendrick again.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

If they did any of these things well it'd be pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VJeff posted:

Daniel Bryan loving hated AJ Styles back at Mania season and now he's being his pitchman for Survivor Series.

I mean, at least Bryan has a real rational motivation to want to see his champ beat the other shows champ.

• Locked thread