Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tarlibone posted:

I like to think that replicators require some kind of... well not fuel per se, but some kind of ultra-generic matter that is designed to have its molecules re-arranged into anything from food to quantum spark plugs.

You know what this fuel is?

Poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

tarlibone posted:

2) OK, so they're vegan, and presumably have been so for years. So... why do they still want meat so bad that they figured out how to replicate a constant supply?

Hello, vegetarian here. I don't eat meat because i think it's wrong, not because it doesn't taste good. If you gave me a way to make meat out of thin air without any animal suffering i would eat it all the time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

Poop.

If I remember correctly from my turbonerd days, the replicators operate on the same principle as transporters, beaming up a quantity of deuterium slush from the ship’s stores and re-combining the molecules appropriately as it’s beamed to the replicator station.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WampaLord posted:

Poop.

Circle of life

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I read this whilst on the turlet, makin’ a poop.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

If I remember correctly from my turbonerd days, the replicators operate on the same principle as transporters, beaming up a quantity of deuterium slush from the ship’s stores and re-combining the molecules appropriately as it’s beamed to the replicator station.

Wouldn't deuterium only have Hs and Os to recombine? Is that where the slush comes in? Does the slush have, like, plutonium and poo poo in it?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Bloop posted:

Wouldn't deuterium only have Hs and Os to recombine? Is that where the slush comes in? Does the slush have, like, plutonium and poo poo in it?

Deuterium would only have hydrogen sporting some neutrons. Apparently instant cold fusion is just that easy in Star Trek if they aren't using mixed atoms.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Deuterium would only have hydrogen sporting some neutrons. Apparently instant cold fusion is just that easy in Star Trek if they aren't using mixed atoms.

Ah, I was thinking of "heavy water" which would be deuterium oxide

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the replicator materials tank is also where all of the ship's waste ends up in star trek - trash disposal uses reversed replication, which turns matter into replicator stock.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
So in the Orville-verse the replicator can transport food/drinks/drugs/stuff etc but they don't have people-transporter tech, correct?

Or do they and I missed it?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Neophyte posted:

So in the Orville-verse the replicator can transport food/drinks/drugs/stuff etc but they don't have people-transporter tech, correct?

Or do they and I missed it?

That is correct, and it is a good story plot device. Transporters are the bane of story telling and are the cause of roughly half of Star Trek technobabble, usually involving why they won't work.
The other half of technobabble being strange stellar phenomenon of course.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, teleportation is basically cutting out the "journey" part of the heroes journey, which makes character development do the heavy lifting and... Well, Star Trek isn't always too good there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Getting rid of transporters is an improvement. The reason why transporters exist in the first place is because the show didn't have the budget to show them using the shuttles all the time.

Besides, it basically kills you and makes a clone of you somewhere else. Hell no I am not stepping into one of those.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Peachfart posted:

That is correct, and it is a good story plot device. Transporters are the bane of story telling and are the cause of roughly half of Star Trek technobabble, usually involving why they won't work.
The other half of technobabble being strange stellar phenomenon of course.

No, it's clearly a thirds issue. 66% those things, 33% explaining why the eject-the-warp-core things, which have a single job of ejecting the warp core, fail to work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

Besides, it basically kills you and makes a clone of you somewhere else.

FTL is also impossible, does that mean all the characters are actually in a state of permanent psychotic delusion?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

FTL is also impossible, does that mean all the characters are actually in a state of permanent psychotic delusion?

Technically warp drive bends space so the ship doesn't move faster than the speed of light, the space around it does
:goonsay:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gammatron 64 posted:

Technically warp drive bends space so the ship doesn't move faster than the speed of light, the space around it does
:goonsay:

It's possible as long as you can find a an object with a significant negative mass.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Everything was about polarons for awhile there

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Gammatron 64 posted:

Getting rid of transporters is an improvement. The reason why transporters exist in the first place is because the show didn't have the budget to show them using the shuttles all the time.

Besides, it basically kills you and makes a clone of you somewhere else. Hell no I am not stepping into one of those.

But the Union is okay with some clone of Captain Mercer commanding the Orville, and nobody held funerals for Mercer and Grayson after they got disintegrated in that zoo trap. :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not all teleportation works the same way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not all teleportation works the same way.

Artisanal teleportation is assembled by hand one atom at a time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think when Q teleports you it just sort of makes you always have been there. That could be a cool sci-fi story premise, actually. I hereby call this idea for myself to actually never complete a story about.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating animals. Like if I was a cow, and you gave me a lot of grass and I lived a good long happy cow life on a farm, but when it's time for the end I get eaten, I think that's a pretty fair deal. Or if you're a hunter and you shoot a deer and eat venison, that's only natural.

Like, think of it this way. Imagine you get abducted by space aliens. And they're like "hey, we will provide you with a hedonistic fantasy life full of sex, drugs, booze, rock n roll, you know, fun stuff. But in exchange the deal is once you turn 60 years old, we kill and eat you." I think plenty of people would be like "ok, that sounds fair, it sounds better than the life I got now, sign me up."

For this to work with your cow analogy the aliens would have to be slaughtering people around age 6-7. A steer raised for beef is slaughtered when it's around 18 months old out of a natural 15-20 year lifespan. I don't think a lot of people would be real cool with that.

What if you were a dairy cow? The aliens come and grab you (presumably you are a girl) and say "you get to do all that fun stuff for your whole natural life, but we'll keep you pregnant most of the time, and we will collect your milk every day." I guess that's a fairer trade?

WampaLord posted:

But that's my point. You can tell the replicator "Make me a hamburger made from 21st century Whole Foods All Natural Non-GMO beef" and it will do it. Why go through the effort of raising and slaughtering livestock?

It's just rearranging molecules.

WampaLord posted:

Can't you tell the replicator "make this beef molecularly identical to authentic grass fed beef" and it will do it? Why would you need to actually raise the cow that way?

Like, it's loving sci fi, I assume that the replicators make the best possible version of the food possible.

They don't, though. Replicators apparently don't operate on the quantum/atomic level -- they have a lower resolution, for lack of a better description, and replicate a close approximation of the pattern object but not one that is atomically perfect. Clusters of the right molecules in the right places, but not exactly right. That's why they work for ceramic mugs and objets d'art and food but not for living beings, and why the food supposedly always tastes just a little inferior to the real thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Only people from the time period think the food tastes worse, a bunch of people thawed from the 20th century thought the various replicated things were the best they ever had. It's in their heads. You could replicate a meal, add a dash of your own spices and gently caress poo poo up a bit to make it seem flawed then tell the table you made it from scratch and you'd hear nothing but "oh my god hand made food tastes so much better!" talk from the table the whole night.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Computer, burn the replaced roast.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Novelty is the great parent of pleasure, he thought to himself.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

why the food supposedly always tastes just a little inferior to the real thing.

I never believed them when they said that.

Baronjutter posted:

Only people from the time period think the food tastes worse, a bunch of people thawed from the 20th century thought the various replicated things were the best they ever had. It's in their heads. You could replicate a meal, add a dash of your own spices and gently caress poo poo up a bit to make it seem flawed then tell the table you made it from scratch and you'd hear nothing but "oh my god hand made food tastes so much better!" talk from the table the whole night.

Exactly. They're just being snobby hipsters about authenticity, and they're just tricking themselves into thinking "Oh, it totally tastes better!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, I think it's that if you use the same program every time, ever steak you replicate will be identical. There'll be no variation. So after you've eaten it a few times, you get used to it.

There are some bits of star trek where people tinker with replicator programs to make their own custom versions of food, which I think is a neat idea. The idea that could "code" better meals if you know what you are doing is neat.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Snak posted:

Well, I think it's that if you use the same program every time, ever steak you replicate will be identical. There'll be no variation. So after you've eaten it a few times, you get used to it.

There are some bits of star trek where people tinker with replicator programs to make their own custom versions of food, which I think is a neat idea. The idea that could "code" better meals if you know what you are doing is neat.

With a post scarcity society I imagine there's literally millions of peoples cooking up variations of dishes. I'm sure there's some ReplicatorNexus site where you can get every dish but it taste like dicks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

With a post scarcity society I imagine there's literally millions of peoples cooking up variations of dishes. I'm sure there's some ReplicatorNexus site where you can get every dish but it taste like dicks.

Of course.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Finally saw the episode and I laughed from start to finish, a nice surprise. Got me thinking about how inter-species biochemistry would work but I feel like this might be a good time to hit "last post" instead

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

socialsecurity posted:

finally my mashed potatoes are sexy, thank nexusmods.com/replicators

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

finally my mashed potatoes are sexy, thank nexusmods.com/replicators

The Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > Repli-taters & Tank-Steaks > Nexuxmods: Cheese-dicks

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sure that 100% organic, naturally made 23rd century food served at Sisko's is better than 23rd century replicator food, but the replicator food is probably still miles better than what we're used to now.

It's like taking a 16th century peasant and giving them a microwaved Lean Cuisine meal. They'd say it's the best they've ever had too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Edit: Weird, my very first doublepost.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Finally saw the episode and I laughed from start to finish, a nice surprise. Got me thinking about how inter-species biochemistry would work but I feel like this might be a good time to hit "last post" instead

God no. We need people actually reacting to the show or people just babble on about Star Trek and temperatures all week. Never hit last post.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Maybe it’s the follow-up episode where the crew of the Orville opine at length about how Darulio did no wrong, if you really think about it, and maybe we should all relax a bit, y’know?

You need to get laid

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JacksLibido posted:

You need to get laid

Sick burn from a rape apologist.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
JacksLibido

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

PT6A posted:

God no. We need people actually reacting to the show or people just babble on about Star Trek and temperatures all week. Never hit last post.

Of course I am going to read it. I was in ground zero on C v F.

Thoughts:
1) it's rape by real life human standards
2) in universe, it may or may not be. They even say they had no idea that was an interaction when Isaac looked it up
3) rape, much like killing, can be funny. Context is key and I think it works in this particular scenario
4) the discussion is good
5) sorry if it triggered you though