Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

Mark Crossfield did an interesting video series on Youtube testing a 50 gram senior's flex shaft, against a heavyweight Mitsubishi Javelin X-Flex (one of the stoutest shafts out there) -- he and another club pro hit a dozen balls with each, and for both guys the overall difference in spin rate was less than 100 RPM between the two shafts. And that's with two entirely different flexes and weights that sit at polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

His anecdote about the R&A's blind-test at 6:50 is a bigly lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Z5I8y-uQs

Shaft is absolutely important for personal preferences in control and feel, just as you've stated Suprfli6.

It has virtually no bearing on spin though, and it's a big lol to me that autistic GolfWRXers spend absurd money on products that all likely do the exact same thing :sad:

The Pro that I go to for lessons, give him pretty much any spec club and he'll hit a shot shape on command. He'll say that it feels good/poo poo whatever but his swing is what makes it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

The Pro that I go to for lessons, give him pretty much any spec club and he'll hit a shot shape on command. He'll say that it feels good/poo poo whatever but his swing is what makes it work.
I think most good players can do this if they're not too aggressive with the swing. It's when you're pushing that last 10% that things can get sketchy and fitting shines through. For example, my irons have X100 but my wedges have S400, and while my PW always feels stable, my SW can feel wobbly when I try to hit it hard.

I never know how to interpret this kind of scuffing. Is it the first wear you see so that I should take it as a good sign?

These almost look fake:

LOL wait they actually are fake???

These actually look in really good shape. Not sure why GolfDiscount, the seller, rated them 7/10.

For some reason this looks worse to me than a little browning. Am I just wrong? Second pic looks like an indentation on the toe, like someone shot it with a bullet.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything until I went and hit some different clubs, but then I was browsing wrx at work and jumped on a M2 driver and M1 3 wood combo a couple minutes after somebody listed them for ridiculously cheap. They were cheap enough that I could trade them in at Dicks for basically what I paid if I end up buying something else. Merry early Christmas to me I guess?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything until I went and hit some different clubs, but then I was browsing wrx at work and jumped on a M2 driver and M1 3 wood combo a couple minutes after somebody listed them for ridiculously cheap. They were cheap enough that I could trade them in at Dicks for basically what I paid if I end up buying something else. Merry early Christmas to me I guess?
Whether you keep, trade in, or resell, get the clubs you want, not just ones that are cheap.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Well the M2 was one of the drivers on my short list of clubs to try, and I've wanted an adjustable 3W because the only ones I've had were closed/draw-biased. So it was like the perfect deal for me to stumble upon. I'm very happy with the rest of my clubs so hopefully my only other golf expense this winter will be a putting green for my apartment.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

:getin:

These turned out awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

poo poo those look rad as hell

also sup yall it's been a while

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irons were in a bit better condition than I expected in terms of face wear. Also :dong:

Also, I'm gonna guess the irons are only a season old, if that, considering this sticker is still on the 6 iron and it's in decent shape:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 18, 2017

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I bought a set of "used" mp-53s on eBay for $160, I'm not sure if I'm good enough to hit them (probably not) and I definitely don't need them but I plan to work on my iron striking all offseason long and if I can't hit them I'll just stick with my jpx ex forged set for another year and keep working on them. My ball striking has gotten a ton better this year so I think I'll end up liking them. If not, they still look sexy as gently caress.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Irons were in a bit better condition than I expected in terms of face wear. Also :dong:

Also, I'm gonna guess the irons are only a season old, if that, considering this sticker is still on the 6 iron and it's in decent shape:

Every club I own that came with a sticker still has them, including my 5 year old set of clevelands, and in pretty good shape. edit: Drives one of my regular partners crazy. Also, I stopped using club covers for a while and put army green wool socks on instead. He owns 25 pairs of golf shoes, and a separate closet for his golf clothes. Good golfer, and likes his golf "style."

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 18, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I'm triggered by people not removing those long light coloured stickers near the ferrule. Bro remove it, it's costing you .000001mph swing speed!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

I'm triggered by people not removing those long light coloured stickers near the ferrule. Bro remove it, it's costing you .000001mph swing speed!

I know...it bugs more people than I would have predicted. My 6 iron, my driver, 3W, 5W, hybrid, putter and three wedges...all have stickers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Every club I own that came with a sticker still has them, including my 5 year old set of clevelands, and in pretty good shape. edit: Drives one of my regular partners crazy. Also, I stopped using club covers for a while and put army green wool socks on instead. He owns 25 pairs of golf shoes, and a separate closet for his golf clothes. Good golfer, and likes his golf "style."
You used covers on your irons?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Argh, no. Woods and hybridd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Argh, no. Woods and hybridd.
The Titleist pom headcovers that most of their tour pros use and everyone went crazy about a few years ago are basically socks, so you're in good company. I even bought one when Edwin Watts was closing down a bunch of their stores. Not the best use of $20 but no regrets.

See current golden boys Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Just lol if you don't have silly animal headcovers on all your woods/hybrids. You can pry my shark, parrot, and frog covers from my cold dead hands.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have NFL head covers now, but it's defensive. Twice had my clubs pulled by partner in cart because everyone had taylormade woods. Once did it myself. So, covers that are distinct.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Dr. Capco posted:

Just lol if you don't have silly animal headcovers on all your woods/hybrids. You can pry my shark, parrot, and frog covers from my cold dead hands.

I don't have any special covers on my hybrid or three wood, but my alligator driver cover is ride or die. If I lose her, I'm going to cry like I've lost a childhood pet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That guy who was asking about One Length irons earlier, as I said, the physics just don't make sense with respect to ballflight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdZ2NUxB-M

Rick's swing is always inconsistent and he has a 3rd grader's comprehension of averages, but the numbers are sufficient to prove the argument.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

My 6 iron, my driver, 3W, 5W, hybrid, putter and three wedges...all have stickers.

I have reported you to the authorities.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Kameh posted:

I don't have any special covers on my hybrid or three wood, but my alligator driver cover is ride or die. If I lose her, I'm going to cry like I've lost a childhood pet.

If it's the Daphne made alligator cover I know exactly how you feel. The frog is fairly new but Shark and Parrot are my dual caddie duo for life.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Giraffe says don’t forget about how badass I am

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Josh Lyman posted:

That guy who was asking about One Length irons earlier, as I said, the physics just don't make sense with respect to ballflight.

Rick's swing is always inconsistent and he has a 3rd grader's comprehension of averages, but the numbers are sufficient to prove the argument.

What kills the idea for me is short irons are so easy to hit. Why would I want my pitching wedge to be a 7 iron? The idea seems to appeal most to those who hate their long irons, but hybrids are already such a decent solution to that. I just don't see the appeal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did someone say headcover shot?

New (used) irons and 52*.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Want that Master's towel. But all that Titleist in a Ping bag?

I have two vintage knit with pom pom headcovers on the 3 and 5 woods. Sadly they aren't staying on anymore so its time to go shopping

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Want that Master's towel. But all that Titleist in a Ping bag?
I actually use a normal white bath towel because I'm afraid to ruin the Master's towel so it's just there for the photoshoot :ssh:.

As for the setup, I grew up playing all Titleist in a Ping Hoofer. Old habits die hard.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I actually use a normal white bath towel because I'm afraid to ruin the Master's towel so it's just there for the photoshoot :ssh:.

As for the setup, I grew up playing all Titleist in a Ping Hoofer. Old habits die hard.

It's a bit weird that you have someone else's name on your bag.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

It's a bit weird that you have someone else's name on your bag.
I was looking for a used Hoofer 2 or 3 and someone was selling this locally in Atlanta. Carlton Forrester played at Georgia Tech with Matt Kuchar and I was at GT for 11 years, so if the bag isn't with him, I'm a pretty good alternative.

The Tiffany Blue Circle T putter headcover was like $7 on AliExpress, even has an AM&E tag sewn on the inside. Makes me wonder if ones like this are also knockoffs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotty-Cameron-Tiffany-Blue-Dancing-Circle-T-Putter-Headcover-Tour-Only-New/292226083873

I suppose there's a tiny chance it came from the same factory that "authentic" Scotty Cameron headcovers are made, but that doesn't matter much since I would never feel comfortable selling it for $400. Maybe I'll just tell myself it's real.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 21, 2017

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
My featured headcovers are from the "Ugliest ones in the giant box of headcovers at the used golf club store" collection cause gently caress the haters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

My featured headcovers are from the "Ugliest ones in the giant box of headcovers at the used golf club store" collection cause gently caress the haters.

my man :cool::respek::cool:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I paid $200 for an M1 hybrid and all I got was this lovely leather neckless head cover!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Head covers without shaft protection are laughable.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What’s a good, lightweight, bag recommendation? I have a heavy Nike cart bag and I’m thinking of getting a new one that’s less bulky. Probably going with a stand bag.

Do they fit well on a push cart? I might get one of those too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Douchebag posted:

What’s a good, lightweight, bag recommendation? I have a heavy Nike cart bag and I’m thinking of getting a new one that’s less bulky. Probably going with a stand bag.

Do they fit well on a push cart? I might get one of those too.

Ping Hoofers are almost universally loved.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Ping Hoofers are almost universally loved.
Be sure to get one with someone else's name on it. For the street cred.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

Rick's swing is messed up lol

His takeaway is all wrist and he whips the clubface waaaaay open, which forces him into an unnecessarily steep position at the top
(skip to 1:30 and play it in slow-mo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DupOmr73Po

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
No one wants to buy my sweet center shafted putter?

It will easily drop an undisclosed amount of strikes off your handicap.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Love me some Ross deals.

All these shirts were less than $30/piece. The black one on the left is a Tiger Woods brand and the retail tag showed $100, lol I'd never pay $100 for a shirt. I love these new style collared shirts.

The Under Armor spikes were $35 too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Love me some Ross deals.

All these shirts were less than $30/piece. The black one on the left is a Tiger Woods brand and the retail tag showed $100, lol I'd never pay $100 for a shirt. I love these new style collared shirts.

The Under Armor spikes were $35 too.

I never see these deals, or even items like this at the Ross/TJ Maxx/Burlington's in my area.

I used to work for Burlington in their East Coast distribution center and I never saw stuff like that even come through the warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I never see these deals, or even items like this at the Ross/TJ Maxx/Burlington's in my area.

I used to work for Burlington in their East Coast distribution center and I never saw stuff like that even come through the warehouse.

So weird. I’ve been in my local Ross the past couple weeks and have seen a bunch of these. They had like 5 of the black ones in both L and XL and quite a few of the other colors. I’m in central Florida so maybe they figure with all the golfers around they’ll sell better?