Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think I'd be a little grouchy if "physical therapy sucks and I never do my exercises why am I still in pain" was a widespread cultural meme along those same lines.

It... is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Yeah but not everyone needs physical therapy, everyone should be going to the dentist regularly so the spread of really crap dental care is a lot wider.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I admit I get annoyed when I get the floss lecture, because it feels like they already know the answer and just want to see if you'll lie about it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Most people take poor care of their teeth, and never floss, but they hate going to the dentist and don't listen to his advice.

I think I'd be a little grouchy if "physical therapy sucks and I never do my exercises why am I still in pain" was a widespread cultural meme along those same lines.

Deep breaths and think of the Ferrari, private jet, island paradise summer house.

Maybe I just can't relate.

I go to the dentist every 12 months and the dental nurse every 12 months so they alternate at 6 months.

The dentist was pretty cool about everything while the nurse just gave me crap for all the things I could do better.

Like. I've been going here for 10 years and the last 5 years you've done nothing but scrape plaque and clean them. I must be doing something right :cry:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I admit I get annoyed when I get the floss lecture, because it feels like they already know the answer and just want to see if you'll lie about it.

I know right. I would understand it if dental care was free but not at these prices.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Katt posted:

I go to the dentist every 12 months and the dental nurse every 12 months so they alternate at 6 months.

I'm assuming a dental nurse is like an oral hygienist here so: why would they give anyone grief over not flossing/brushing well enough - they would quite literally be out of a job if no-one had plaque or calculus :confused:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm assuming a dental nurse is like an oral hygienist here so: why would they give anyone grief over not flossing/brushing well enough - they would quite literally be out of a job if no-one had plaque or calculus :confused:

I can only speculate that she's old school and cares too much maybe. But when going to the hygienist I feel like I'm 12 and being sent to the principals office. I dread seeing the hygienist but I had a great relationship with the dentist. We would talk about work and life and all kinds of things. I looked forward to seeing my dentist.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Katt posted:

Deep breaths and think of the Ferrari, private jet, island paradise summer house.

loving lmao if you think anyone working in PT in any capacity is buying these things.

Maybe in Finland, but in the US most people either aren't sure what physical therapy is or they are pretty on board with how great it is because they or someone they know has been a patient.

The people who hate PT are the ones who never do their exercises and don't listen to their therapists, or they end up going to a lovely practice and judge the entire profession on that experience, but that's definitely not the majority and PT isn't the butt of terrible hack jokes like dentistry is.

Also NCIS: LA had a fairly accurate depiction of what we do because one of the characters got shot or something and it was kind of nice to see the TV show for old white dads repping the profession.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Nov 20, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PT at least has studies backing it, nobody's ever done science on flossing

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Wasn't there a recent study that said that flossing actually doesn't matter much?

I don't floss anyway so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm always open for newspaper headlines that confirm whatever lifestyle choices I make.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tunicate posted:

PT at least has studies backing it, nobody's ever done science on flossing

What. There's plenty science that shows not cleaning between your teeth is much worse than cleaning between your teeth. Whether you do it by flossing or with one of those tiny little bitty brushes or something else seems to be irrelevant.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

tyblazitar posted:

Wasn't there a recent study that said that flossing actually doesn't matter much?

I don't floss anyway so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm always open for newspaper headlines that confirm whatever lifestyle choices I make.

iirc there was an article stating that there has been no study showing that flossing helps. That isn't to say it doesn't, there just hasn't been a study about it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

tyblazitar posted:

Not flossing leads to plaque and bacterial build up between the teeth and inflamed gums. That in turn increases the risk of gum disease or even receding gums which is a pretty serious, painful and irreversible condition.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Flossing causes autism

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Do waterpicks even really help because I have an relatively unused on that I never get bothered to use.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Looking on google scholar for 30 seconds yielded a lot of peer reviewed journal results about how important dental flossing is, and research on how to get people to do it.

Here's one reference:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcpe.12765/full

ChaseSP posted:

Do waterpicks even really help because I have an relatively unused on that I never get bothered to use.

The research on this looks industry funded, so I'll keep poking around.

https://www.waterpik.co.uk/professional/clinical-research/pdfs/Water-Flosser-vs-Air-Floss-4C-Pro-Study-Goyal-2015.pdf
https://www.waterpik.nl/en/professi...nical-Study.pdf

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So what was that recent uproar about how flossing doesn't actually matter? Typical internet bullshit?

Lowtax was right, murder the internet

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Flossing is just a conspiracy by the pharma lobby to get you to buy $2 worth of those floss picks per year.

Brought to you by the same people who think showering on a regular basis removes protective layers of fat and makes us more vulnerable to disease.

Back in the old days people lived to the ripe old age of 50 and never got sick.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jay Rust posted:

Flossing causes autism

Telling people you don't floss online causes bouts of autism

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

When I was in Grade 1 or 2, we had a dentist come by the school to give a presentation on oral hygiene. At one point he was teaching about flossing and he had one of those plaster jaws with fake teeth in it. So he was showing how to get in there with the floss and then he says, "but you don't want to pull too hard or else..." and then we heard a loud twang and saw a tooth go sailing across the room.

I think everyone decided right then and there to never floss ever again.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Katt posted:

Brought to you by the same people who think showering on a regular basis removes protective layers of fat and makes us more vulnerable to disease.
Do they think that their body stores fat on the outside, or that showering in hot water melts the fat and it flows out their pores?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Telling people you don't floss online causes bouts of autism
being an obnoxious twat doesn't cause autism, so you're golden.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Elysiume posted:

Do they think that their body stores fat on the outside, or that showering in hot water melts the fat and it flows out their pores?

Fat was the wrong word maybe. Grease perhaps?

It's a thing though. I had a teacher who's uncle never showered (as in not even for Christmas) It was so bad that when he came to visit. My teachers mother would place a cloth over the chair he sat on because he had so much lice. One day the uncle had to go to the hospital and one of the first thing the staff did was to clean him. A short while later he died and my teacher swore that it was due to the hospital washing away his uncles protective layer of grease.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It was probably that he was already on his way out because he was an ambulatory pustule.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
For dental hygiene, I recommend an electronic toothbrush. You don't need to buy an expensive one - a $5 disposable one is sufficient and should last about a year. I haven't had a cavity since I started using one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

Looking on google scholar for 30 seconds yielded a lot of peer reviewed journal results about how important dental flossing is, and research on how to get people to do it.

Here's one reference:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcpe.12765/full

It's an observational study of how often they flossed in the week before visiting the dentist, rather than a controlled test. Notably, the observed effect was small (17% change), and there was no dose response, which is usually not a great sign for a significant result.

The authors admit "This is a cross-sectional study so it is difficult to argue for a causal relation between flossing and periodontitis; therefore, we can only state that there is a negative association."

Here's the associated press investigative report from last year (which includes journal links at the bottom):
https://apnews.com/f7e66079d9ba4b4985d7af350619a9e3

One of the papers they link is this review from 2015, which mentions "there is a lack of evidence for the efficacy of dental floss for plaque removal or reducing gingivitis"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A'right folks, let's get back on track.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Me, under a strict time restraint: I should stop what I’m doing and post about this right now

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Sorry son... you have been chopped *drops world's greatest dad mug in trash can*

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I could actually see that happening. I did that for my ex once and she loved it.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobby Digital posted:

I could actually see that happening. I did that for my ex once and she loved it.

apparently not that much :grin:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I️ heard of a guy once, he moved out of his parents’ house and now he’s dead because no one ever taught him to cook so he couldn’t eat anything and he starved

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Chopped is a boring food show choice, he should have done fake cutthroat kitchen instead and cook the fish in that rollie egg cooker or something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
IDK if that happened or not but it was a fun and heartwarming father-and-child tale :kiddo:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

No, and it didn't translate your dog barking either

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

And his wife took a screenshot of it? Why are people so unbelievably bad at fake text screenshots?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bertrand Hustle posted:

And his wife took a screenshot of it? Why are people so unbelievably bad at fake text screenshots?

The wife screenshotting it makes sense, I just want someone to try it out to see what actually happens. Any trombonists itt

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's a joke you dorks.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Jokes need to be expressed in third person omniscient.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I feel like I've ruined my browsing profile by googling "riding the CC" with all that MRA poo poo.