Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

your friend a dog posted:

TCS caster uses "cucks" to describe tahms abilities

Reality Winner posted:

Which ability

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

the one where he fucks your wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gotta say, seems like an accurate measurement if true.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Pɪᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʟᴀᴡʙʙ.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Pɪᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʟᴀᴡʙʙ.

:golfclap:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Candlelight Virgil posted:

I love how everyone is making fun of me even though I was using the girls I wouldn’t even want to hang out with to act stupid to

Breetai posted:

You're the Bob Ross of painting a clear picture as to why you're single.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Re: a letter from a Republican shitlord trying to insult a newly-elected transgender woman.

Groovelord Neato posted:

he wanted her name in quotation marks ("danica") he didn't actually write danica roem. he wrote "danica" roem every time you saw ms. roem.

belt posted:

Straight from the Trump playbook.

Trig Discipline posted:

Nah Trump would call her "Rocketless Man"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is that the same shitlord that lost the election to her because his campaign was equal parts "transgenders, ew" and "danica roem plays in a metal band and that is scary to me, an intolerant old white man trapped in 1950"

Meanwhile Ms Roem ran a campaign that addressed the issues that people in her district cared about and actually went door to door to talk to people

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dallas has a skyline?

Barudak posted:

There's a book depository and not much else to lose your head over

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If there were still a PYF ban/probation thread, I would post this there. It’s time to play... Guess! The! Subforum! Hint: it’s not DnD!

Also, for bonus points: guess how long the probation is for. Hint: not as long as you would expect.

McGiggins posted:

Castrating people (preferably chemically) can, in certain cases, be a good idea, even morally required in some cases. An example that helped bring this point to me was a pair of downs syndrome adolescents that had partnered with each other, and according to their own statements, planned to have "at least 10 children" despite the fact that both were judged legally incapable of understanding what that actually entailed, and both were entirely dependant on full-time support staff just to stay alive themselves, especially considering that the partnering of a DS couple has an extremely high chance of passing on the condition to the children as an active trait, and certainly as genetic carriers if it doesn't show as active.

Does the rights of the individual, to self determination, to make widereaching decisions that involve dozens of other people that they are literally not capable of understanding the consequences of supercede the moral right of the society around them to intervene and make a better choice for them that is factually provable to have net less harm?

The Hendra crisis included a some breeding stock, and the application of eugenics in this case was to weed out the affected ones before they contaminate the stud horses. You need not actually pass traits in order for it to be a eugenical act, it merely needs to affect the transmission of traits. Eugenics through culling, which is my favorite kind, as it is the one I am most qualified to do, not being a full rate vet, as it were.

Yeah, it is in relation to his potential reproductive efforts, as he needs to stop being such a downer and put himself out there, or he'll never get that big Greek family his mother keeps badgering him about.

Self help advice increases his chances of getting laid instead of paying for hookers, and thus potentially making little greeklings.

I disagree with this statement, though it may just be the wording you used. What they did wasn't bad because it was eugenics. What they did was bad because cutting eyes out of twins and swapping them over to see what happens as part of human experimentation is bad. The process of encouraging white mother's and father's to breed together (while stupid) is eugenics, but isn't bad because eugenics itself isn't bad, as I expressed above. It matters what you do, why you do it, and the outcome of the two.

Eugenics is not automatically a -1 to morality.

As laid out above, I'm not necessarily convinced that true in all cases. Two people who have higher than normal statistics on any tests might agree to breed together for a child. They have willing decided make a eugenical choice of their own volition and pre-plan and construct a human being based on informed understanding of how dna smooshes together and are attempting to influence this for an optimum result by convince what they consider to be superior genetics (regardless of their race, backgrounds or political affiliations).

Doesn't seem inherently evil to me, consenting_adults.exe.

Abortion is eugenics, and everyone seems to agree that's just dandy. So we can use this as a baseline, and judge that if people are allowed to make eugenical decisions for themselves and their offspring, regardless of how well thought out or ill-advised the choice is, it would necessarily follow that in the DS case exampled above, who are legally required to have all decisions of consequence made for them, could then have their progeny quantity, or their being allowed to have any progeny at all, decided by another, nominally their caretaker.

To me, it burns down to outcome:
If you go around randomly punching women in the stomach or castrating people over 6 foot, that's bad eugenics.

If you have to stop people being born who are carriers for Fragile X, and you can mathematically prove that failure to intervene (either through abortion or genetic modification of the embryo) will be a massive problem in 150 years for whatever reason, possibly causing the end of your space colony or whatever, then it seems if the facts are the facts, then that has to be good eugenics. After all, it's not hypothetical if it's properly done, peer-reviewed and tested science.

I support the supremacy of the individual, but don't think that it extends to forcing everyone around you to live with the results of your current (or planned) decisions. I am not free to swing my fists until they hit your face, etc.

However, I do see situations coming about whether the reverse may be true, and where society may need to punch an individual in the face for some reason or another. I would only ever support such interventions when the processes and reasonings are well known and according to strict guidelines (no filtering out genes because you want a white only kid, for example).

Let me know if you want me to clarify any of the points I have made.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times: horses and people are basically the same thing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Funny Forums Quotes: Eugenics through culling, which is my favorite kind

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ariong posted:

If there were still a PYF ban/probation thread, I would post this there. It’s time to play... Guess! The! Subforum! Hint: it’s not DnD!

Also, for bonus points: guess how long the probation is for. Hint: not as long as you would expect.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times: horses and people are basically the same thing.
Before I check, my guess is "Traditional Games"

edit: drat, dug one layer too deep

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ariong posted:

You know what they say: Castration begins at home.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

theflyingorc posted:

Before I check, my guess is "Traditional Games"

edit: drat, dug one layer too deep
Forums ranked by likelihood of seeing long ranting political posts:

1. Games
2. Games
3. Games
4. Every other forum

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

A Buttery Pastry posted:

1. Games
2. Games
3. Games
4. Every other forum

Hey, it could also be in the Giant Bomb thread, which while about games is technically in the podcast forum (because they received so many reports they got kicked out of Games).

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ariong posted:

drat, got the forum right but overshot the probation length by 4 days.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

A Buttery Pastry posted:

1. Games
2. Games
3. Games
4. Every other forum

Yeah, I think if the hint is that it's not D&D, then it's almost certainly Games, and then maybe E/N.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Games naturally lead to trying to min-max society. Like Dwarf Fortress taught me women shouldn't be allowed in the military, because they will charge into battle carrying babies.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like how that dude is trying to be as Professor Rational Science Man as possible about eugenics while believing that you can be a "carrier" of Down Syndrome

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Antivehicular posted:

I like how that dude is trying to be as Professor Rational Science Man as possible about eugenics while believing that you can be a "carrier" of Down Syndrome

?

http://americanpregnancy.org/birth-defects/down-syndrome/ posted:

Translocation Trisomy 21-Sometimes (in 3-4% of cases) part of chromosome 21 becomes attached (translocated) to another chromosome (usually the 13th, 14th or 15th chromosome) before or at conception. The carrier (the one having the translocated chromosome) will have 45 chromosomes instead of 46 but they will have all the genetic material of a person with 46 chromosomes. This is because the extra chromosome 21 material is located on a different chromosome (the translocated one). A carrier will have the extra material but will have only one chromosome 21. The carrier will not exhibit any of the symptoms of Down syndrome because they have the correct amount of genetic material.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Almost all men with Down's are infertile and so are most of the women. I wouldn't be too worried if eugenics were my thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Games naturally lead to trying to min-max society. Like Dwarf Fortress taught me women shouldn't be allowed in the military, because they will charge into battle carrying babies.

Seems like it would be terrifying to battle against them. Buncha MILFs (Moms I'd Loathe to Fight).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Almost all men with Down's are infertile and so are most of the women. I wouldn't be too worried if eugenics were my thing.

And Down's syndrome isn't really that hereditary anyways.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I skimmed over that post and saw castration and then horses so I assumed it was posted in the Crusader Kings 2 thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

The babies can pop out and take up arms making for handy reinforcements though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Any baby that gets carried into battle should train very quickly to mastery of many martial manoeuvres.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It will be like that dumb scene from Enemy at the Gates except the baby picks up the rifle.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I believe that in the initial patch, the baby was the weapon the mom was swinging around.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ariong posted:

Initial guess was Cycle Asylum but your comment about horses made me think Pet Island

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Huh, I learned a new fact today! :shobon:

Anyway, while we're playing Guess the Thread: the combination of horse reference + callous disregard for the rights of the suboptimal made me assume it was from the Bad With Money thread in BFC.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is only a problem if you don't have your fortress such that they are overwhelmed with happy thoughts so that the mere death of a child doesn't affect them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"I know I should feel sad about Ulrist jr. dying because I tried to beat a cave alligator with him but the craftsmanship on this chair is just amazing!"

And on the flipside if death and tragedy become routine your surviving Dorfs will just get desensitized and stop caring about anything.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 20, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

If you write the first installment of a series without including any terrible sex parts, you have entered an implicit contract with the reader that you will not introduce this element in later installments of said series. I'm looking at you Justin Cronin, you idiot gently caress.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Terrible Sex Parts would be a good name for a rock band

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Terrible Sex Parts would be a good name for a rock band

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's The

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I thought the bollocks were the terrible sex parts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

all fantasy tropes, races, and concepts are extremely loving haram. And no, you can't get around this by coming up with a mysterious race of immortal, slowly dying magic users because, guess what, those are just loving elves.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I thought the bollocks were the terrible sex parts.

Depends on your taste.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Depends on your taste.

would argue that it depends on their taste

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

OutsideAngel posted:

would argue that it depends on their taste

Your taste, their flavour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is that the same shitlord that lost the election to her because his campaign was equal parts "transgenders, ew" and "danica roem plays in a metal band and that is scary to me, an intolerant old white man trapped in 1950"

Meanwhile Ms Roem ran a campaign that addressed the issues that people in her district cared about and actually went door to door to talk to people

Yes it is indeed the same shitlord. His unending salt at losing the election is pure schaden injected straight into my veins :yum: