Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Beefeater1980 posted:

I was on the fence about investing in Paradox but this has decided me in favour. Not because I've got anything in particular against Jon Shafer but because it means the company is still decisive enough even post-listing to take on a well known developer and then part ways fast if it isn't working out.
You should take their example and diversify instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's honestly for the best for them to part ways if they can't find reasonable middle ground. Paradox has a proper level of standards and Shafer hates games that have any kind of working AI or mechanics that go bellow the surface. It's for the best that Paradox didn't lower to his level.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Didn't Jon Shafer sell his house to keep working on at the gates?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I'm sure that personally he's a really nice guy, but professionally he took people's money and ran. He's not going to stop getting grief for that.

e: ^^ they totally do, but not publicly.

He did not take people's money and run. He made a game with that money and made it available to his backers. He never finished At the Gates and it's still a failure of a kickstarter, but "took the money and ran" has a pretty specific meaning that doesn't apply here.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He did not take people's money and run. He made a game with that money and made it available to his backers. He never finished At the Gates and it's still a failure of a kickstarter, but "took the money and ran" has a pretty specific meaning that doesn't apply here.

He took the money that was given to him for a project, and ran it into the ground. :smug:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ham Sandwiches posted:

He took the money that was given to him for a project, and ran it into the ground. :smug:

:capitalism:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I'm fine with failure.

Less fine with

* Vanish for 18 months *
"Hey guys I'm back. Sorry, let's get back on track..."
* Vanish for 18 months *
* Vanish again *

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You can still buy At the Gates on the website.

It's 50 dollars.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm less fine with Kickstarter failure because going to Kickstarter as a sole operator looks very suspiciously like tapping the public for money because you want to skip the oversight and due diligence that a professional investor/publisher would require.

If Kickstarters were pitched as 'you are buying two years of development time, at the end of which either there's a game or there isn't' then that would be fine. That's not pitched though, what's pitched is a game with features.

Hell, PDX games are already sold on terms that are effectively 'you are buying the game with 12 months (higher for launch) worth of development time, if you want the benefit of the next 12 months dev time then buy the expansion'. Everyone understands that's the deal being offered and more often than not we're happy to hand over our money knowing that we're getting the project in a certain state and that if it continues to be commercially viable then over time it can and will morph into a noticeably different product.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I never even met Jon, since I have been away the entire time he was employed, but I like to imagine it was just him and Johan in a room for 6 months with Jon saying "Let's make a turn-based game!" and Johan refusing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I never even met Jon, since I have been away the entire time he was employed, but I like to imagine it was just him and Johan in a room for 6 months with Jon saying "Let's make a turn-based game!" and Johan refusing.

Technically all your strategy games are turn-based

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what is time but a series of turns on an infinitesimal scale

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Action games are 30/60 turns per second strategy games.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what is time but a series of turns on an infinitesimal scale

Zeno's Paradox Game Studios

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Real life is a strategy game running at 1/(Planck time) turns per second.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jeoh posted:

Technically all your strategy games are turn-based

This is fact. Period.

:lol: if you ever interact with the game unpaused, just :lol:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Zeno's Paradox Game Studios

I appreciate this.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Action games are 30/60 turns per second strategy games.

Shouldn't the turns be determined by how many inputs you can do? So you actually get 125+ turns per second!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Alphas are games now? How low our standards have sunken.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Janissary Hop posted:

Was the alpha any good? I had a vague interest in it a couple of years back.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Janissary Hop posted:

This isn't much of an own considering it's literally true thanks to early access

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

Nope.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh well. They can't all be winners.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

I only pledged $30, so I never got access.

If it never comes out I'd be content with just getting the alpha to screw around with for my $30. V:shobon:V

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Only thing I didn't like was his tooltips in tooltips. That's a symptom of cancer and it should be purged with impunity. Also imagine that system when you are playing EU4 MP, you need to react fast but you can't click on something behind a tooltip because it has to remain persistent....

My mouse will go through my screen so fast :bahgawd:

We had a lot of arguments over the good and bad of the tooltips in tooltips stuff he have in At The Gates

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 21, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wrong thread.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 21, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

imagine . . . you are playing EU4 MP, you need to react fast

:shudders:

No. I won't.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jon Shafer posted a post-Paradox update on At the Gates, fwiw
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates/posts/2049993

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
After being radio silent for what, 12+ months his plan is mid 2018 wrap-up? Sure.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

uPen posted:

After being radio silent for what, 12+ months his plan is mid 2018 wrap-up? Sure.

Star Citizen and That Which Sleeps are also slated for 2018 releases.

I have a hunch Valve will release Half-Life 3 before any of those are out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

I'm fine with failure.

Less fine with

* Vanish for 18 months *
* Vanish for 18 months *
* Vanish again *

I caught up with a dozen pages just to post this because goddamn loving Jon Shafer posts an update that's basically "well I don't have a mid-game, and I don't have a late game either, oops!"

I was angry enough that I found myself buying the Empire Builder DLC pack for EU4

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gradenko_2000 posted:

I caught up with a dozen pages just to post this because goddamn loving Jon Shafer posts an update that's basically "well I don't have a mid-game, and I don't have a late game either, oops!"

I'll be fair to the man, neither do most 4X games :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Star Citizen and That Which Sleeps are also slated for 2018 releases.

I have a hunch Valve will release Half-Life 3 before any of those are out.

That which sleeps dev actually reappeared too (perhaps Josh was Jon all along :tinfoil: ) with an actual gameplay video recently. Truly we live in exciting times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want some legal mixup to give paradox the rights to half life and Half Life 3 end up being a grand strategy game around retaking the earth from the combine and restoring the ecosystem and human civilization, along with Groogy making a save-game converter for Stellaris.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'd like to see Paradox steal Firaxis's lunch and make a Civ game with functioning AI

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gort posted:

I'd like to see Paradox steal Firaxis's lunch and make a Civ game with functioning AI

It only took Paradox 15 years to get functioning AI in their own games, which I guess means they have Firaxis beat in that race.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

I want this, and I want a competent company to start competing directly with Paradoxes core games like EUIV.

Competition is good for everyone.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I mean they have functioning AI, its just woefully inadequate against any learned player.

Which makes sense, because the moment you can make a more than adequately competent AI for a sprawling strategy game of any kind you may as well congratulate yourself for starting the singularity.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Westminster System posted:

I mean they have functioning AI, its just woefully inadequate against any learned player.

Which makes sense, because the moment you can make a more than adequately competent AI for a sprawling strategy game of any kind you may as well congratulate yourself for starting the singularity.

I love that episode of Star Trek where Kirk defeats the evil world-controlling computer by tricking it into an infinite loop of checking who it can castrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

I love that episode of Star Trek where Kirk defeats the evil world-controlling computer by tricking it into an infinite loop of checking who it can castrate.

CKIII.txt