Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have found it....

behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error

:trumppop:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What, no bidet? :effort:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

I have found it....

behold.

Where did the Emperor go?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lime Tonics posted:

I have found it....

behold.

How did you get into the White House?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I live a couple blocks from a fire department, and at least they're civil enough to not fire up the sirens until they're a quarter mile away and away from the residential area. Usually. When they don't, that means something's EXTRA hosed and probably worth following them to gawk at.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My local fire department runs Q sirens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ay41SP8ApM
They do try to keep it down/only tap it to clear an intersection in residential areas, but I was at the corner store the other day (state highway and residential street intersection) and one went screaming by, for a second I thought it was the end of the world. Oh, no, it's just Engine 7.

I've read that the FDNY officially banned the Q, but most crews buy them anyway and just get them confiscated and buy a new one/remove it every time the rig gets its annual inspection.

Edit: it doesn't really come across in the video, but it's a 120db square wave, it's extremely unsettling in person, you feel it in your teeth. So the complaints about the noise are justified, to a degree. But it does get people's attention, as opposed to the wimpy police sirens that they have to change up every few years because people start to tune them out.

Edit again: Sometimes they get stuck on, but everybody just has to go deaf putting out the fire before going in to pull the fuse/crawling under the bumper with an axe.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 21, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Phoenix PD bought rumblers for their cop cars, and earlier in the year we got a few ambulances with them installed. I used it a few times during calls on the ambulances, but I had no clue how they sounded from outside the vehicle.

Yesterday, a cop behind me turned his rumbler on to get my attention to go around (we were stopped in traffic, the moment the light went green he flipped his lights on.)

I thought my car was falling apart. Everything shook and I thought the transmission was eating itself.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The police cars in DC have something they flip on occasionally that if they go by with it on you feel it in your chest if your walking.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

The police cars in DC have something they flip on occasionally that if they go by with it on you feel it in your chest if your walking.
A gun?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thumposaurus posted:

An Alsatian?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Only if you’re black and don’t have a weapon.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Delivery McGee posted:

My local fire department runs Q sirens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ay41SP8ApM
They do try to keep it down/only tap it to clear an intersection in residential areas, but I was at the corner store the other day (state highway and residential street intersection) and one went screaming by, for a second I thought it was the end of the world. Oh, no, it's just Engine 7.

I've read that the FDNY officially banned the Q, but most crews buy them anyway and just get them confiscated and buy a new one/remove it every time the rig gets its annual inspection.

Edit: it doesn't really come across in the video, but it's a 120db square wave, it's extremely unsettling in person, you feel it in your teeth. So the complaints about the noise are justified, to a degree. But it does get people's attention, as opposed to the wimpy police sirens that they have to change up every few years because people start to tune them out.

Edit again: Sometimes they get stuck on, but everybody just has to go deaf putting out the fire before going in to pull the fuse/crawling under the bumper with an axe.

I hear those from my office in DC sometimes. They've got a cool ethereal sound to them, like the mournful scream of a banshee.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I hear those from my office in DC sometimes. They've got a cool ethereal sound to them, like the mournful scream of a banshee.

Those are what sirens are supposed to sound like, on fire apparatus at the very least. All the engines in my neck of the woods use them. Cop cars and ambulances tend to use the electronic warblers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

That's a rumbler (or howler) my friend

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's a rumbler (or howler) my friend
I would pay extra taxes to make cop cars' sirens just Molly Weasley yelling "RONALD WEASLEY!!" on repeat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chimney removal Express skylight installation

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It’s annoying that the gif stops before they can show you that it went all the way to the basement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Chimney removal Express skylight installation

The roof is literally just unbacked, unsupported clay tile? Is this a Toll Bros. house?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pretty common construction outside the US, and common here until the 50s: tile, shakes, or slate on lath.

My house still has the lath; plywood was installed over it in the late '70's, when the first asphalt shingle roof was laid. Before that, it was cedar shake.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This seems like it would be in this threads area of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmNymaIzTE

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

Pretty common construction outside the US, and common here until the 50s: tile, shakes, or slate on lath.

My house still has the lath; plywood was installed over it in the late '70's, when the first asphalt shingle roof was laid. Before that, it was cedar shake.

That's hosed up. In Scandinavia, newest regulation for houses requires fully supported and closed upper and lower roof with ventilation, and then they fill the entire a-frame with insulation, we're talking a huge number of cubic feet. The houses become so well insulated they need a special HVAC unit to bring in warm fresh air to not make it a sauna.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

That's hosed up. In Scandinavia, newest regulation for houses requires fully supported and closed upper and lower roof with ventilation, and then they fill the entire a-frame with insulation, we're talking a huge number of cubic feet. The houses become so well insulated they need a special HVAC unit to bring in warm fresh air to not make it a sauna.

I thought they loved saunas there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought they loved saunas there.
There's probably a not insignificant amount of Finns who wouldn't mind having a full-house sauna.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phanatic posted:

The roof is literally just unbacked, unsupported clay tile? Is this a Toll Bros. house?

Here's what the inside of one of my roofs looks like:

That felt between the rafters backs directly onto the tiles:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

`Nemesis posted:

Holy poo poo.

I always thought those things were some kind of plaster or mortar and that was bad enough.

But loving packing material that my washing machine came in ?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

spog posted:

Holy poo poo.

I always thought those things were some kind of plaster or mortar and that was bad enough.

Truly a sturdy material for the ages. A thousand years from now archeologists will unearth these structures and wonder how they ever stood up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

Holy poo poo.

Barf. I'm against fakery in general for my own stuff even when using real materials, let alone this friff.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

spog posted:

Holy poo poo.

McMansion Hell always made fun of foam columns and whatever, but I didn't fully realize how true it was either. Laughably terrible.

https://i.imgur.com/PPWbL9f.gifv

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 23, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

Holy poo poo.

They used to be, you'd pour plaster into a mould/form that had been erected in place, then wait for it to dry, sand, and finish it. The 1960's apt building I live in still has them for the upper moulding where the wall and ceiling meet, as it would be way to expensive to replace them (they are essentially 'one' with the ceiling now). The preformed stuff is cheaper, more uniform, more durable, easier to work with, and has way more variety.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

DCA/National recently changed all the flight patterns in and out. It is supposed to be far more efficient, but people all over the area, including my neighborhood are pissed cause it was quiet for decades prior. My area has been developed since the 1940s, so it is not like it is new construction. I get buying near an existing noise source mitigates your grounds for complaining, but when the source moves to your neighborhood, I understand the animosity.

http://dcist.com/2017/09/report_noise_complaints_are_up_four.php

As it’s gotten colder over the last few weeks the noise from DCA here in SW has gotten progressively louder.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

I had to deal with some EIFS siding yesterday while mounting some security cameras. The little domes were no problem, but I'm afraid of what the boom mounted PTZs will do over time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I had to deal with some EIFS siding yesterday while mounting some security cameras. The little domes were no problem, but I'm afraid of what the boom mounted PTZs will do over time.

I'm sure it will be fine. That stuff is tough and long lasting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Cockatoos destroying an entire shopping mall remains my favorite crappy construction tale.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Imagine a bird takes million years to fly to a mountain every time it needs to sharpen it's beak. The universe will end when the mountain is gone.

So the universe will only last a million years.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
"Hey Bob, I thought we had more than enough concrete to fill in this hole?"

https://i.imgur.com/PPWbL9f.gifv

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I have so many questions about this house and its "vintage character and charm".

Like why are there bars on all the windows?

Why didn't they finish the walls?

Did they really think this flooring looked good when they installed it?

Why aren't there closets in any of the bedrooms?

Why is the master bedroom only accessible via the kitchen?

And what kind of drugs were they on when they tiled this bathroom?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You missed something. Namely, why is the entire goddamn thing made of brick, sheesh.

Except for the bathroom, and I'd wager good money that's just a thin veneer of sheetrock on top of more brick.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Youth Decay posted:

I have so many questions about this house and its "vintage character and charm".

Like why are there bars on all the windows?

Why didn't they finish the walls?

Did they really think this flooring looked good when they installed it?

Why aren't there closets in any of the bedrooms?

Why is the master bedroom only accessible via the kitchen?

And what kind of drugs were they on when they tiled this bathroom?

Would absolutely buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You missed something. Namely, why is the entire goddamn thing made of brick, sheesh.

Except for the bathroom, and I'd wager good money that's just a thin veneer of sheetrock on top of more brick.

It's burnt adobe brick which is what a lot of houses in Tucson are made of (if not plain adobe), but most builders have the sense to plaster/paint the interior walls so it doesn't look like a dungeon.