Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
People diving into the code have found references to a garden and flowers so that seems like a likely next addition.

Also, crafting clothes seems to be on deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope that, with the worldwide launch of the game, there's some sort of content update. :ohdear:

Slow down there, champ. Most of the world hasn't even gotten a chance to play it yet. And you already want them to add more content?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Silver Falcon posted:

Slow down there, champ. Most of the world hasn't even gotten a chance to play it yet. And you already want them to add more content?

No (well, yes), my point is that from the reports of what HAS been released, it seems like it's a pretty empty game. I'm hoping that once the rest of the world gets it, and reviews start coming in, Nintendo/DeNA start shaping the title to something that more resembles a traditional AC title, based on much more feedback than they're getting right now with the limited release.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's an Animal Crossing game fit into the mold of mobile freemium games.

In a regular AC title, you go fishing everyday to see if you'll catch anything rare or new (or maybe just to make some money to pay off your loan). You also talk to your animal neighbors to see what's up and maintain friendships with them. Overall though, you're still fishing/looking for bugs everyday and talking to animal friends.

In Pocket Camp, you go fishing everyday to see if you'll catch anything rare but also to have fish on hand if your animal neighbors want one. You talk to your animal neighbors to get rewards and money and to maintain/level up your friendships with them. Overall though, you're still fishing/looking for bugs every day and talking to animal friends.

So yeah, you're doing a lot of the same things in Pocket Camp as in your standard Animal Crossing game, just for different reasons.

Now, there's a lot missing from Pocket Camp that is usually a core staple of an Animal Crossing game:
  • Museum to display your catches
  • Fossils
  • A huge and monthly/seasonally rotating slate of fish/bugs to collect.
  • A day/night cycle to fish/bugs.
  • No Golden/Silver tools to acquire
  • No flower/garden breeding as of yet
  • No weeds
  • No forced servitude to Tom Nook (but a loan payback scheme is available)
  • No turnip market
  • No judging of your house style/feng shui.

But that doesn't mean it's not Animal Crossing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Thwomp posted:

It's an Animal Crossing game fit into the mold of mobile freemium games.

In a regular AC title, you go fishing everyday to see if you'll catch anything rare or new (or maybe just to make some money to pay off your loan). You also talk to your animal neighbors to see what's up and maintain friendships with them. Overall though, you're still fishing/looking for bugs everyday and talking to animal friends.

So yeah, you're doing a lot of the same things in Pocket Camp as in your standard Animal Crossing game, just for different reasons.

Now, there's a lot missing from Pocket Camp that is usually a core staple of an Animal Crossing game:

But that doesn't mean it's not Animal Crossing.

• No patterns
  • No self-made hats, coats and dresses
  • No Hanging out at animals' houses
  • No "Helping" animals decorate their houses
  • No Gulliver
  • No K.K. concerts
  • No coffee
  • No Shrunk Shuffle

Really, I think the problem is more abstract than any features that may or may not be included. By making it freemium, the game loses something that I think is essential to AC.

Animal Crossing, to me, is about a freedom to do stuff or refuse to do stuff. You could catch fish and bugs, but if you don't want to, it's not an issue. Don't want to talk to the animals? Go ahead, I guess.

This game straight up doesn't work if you don't grind fish, bugs and fruit, and level up your animals. Pocket Camp feels grindy rather than chill. That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't enjoy the game on its own merits, but as an Animal Crossing, it's kind of rubbish.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess I won’t be playing this game for a while.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

I guess I won’t be playing this game for a while.

Having the same issue. The game just launched on the American App Store so maybe the servers got bogged down.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've been getting that error on and off for the last couple weeks, so I think it's an ongoing issue.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

I've been getting that error on and off for the last couple weeks, so I think it's an ongoing issue.
Has anyone not pretending to be Australian gotten the game to work?

I thought they might have uploaded the game, but not allowed it to actually work yet so I gave up on it. But if it's just an error code that everyone's been getting now and then I'd keep refreshing.

(I got the same error code. Edit: or rather mine's support code: 802-9809)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
It started working for me, but I'm waffling over which of my Nintendo accounts to use.

The servers may not yet be super stable, but this is a reminder that there I maintain an SA Animal Crossing friends database if people care to use it. I'll be on the lookout for new entries this week especially.

Fill out this form to get added: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-form
And see the database here: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-db

(I'm a bit lazy in renaming the URLs)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah the servers keep going down. But oh man, they've done such a good job of capturing that old AC charm.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This and Stardew Valley will scratch my itch until the inevitable Switch AC game, at least.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I imagine this slowness/repeated attempts to connect was similar to the launch of Pokemon Go because I don't remember these kinds of connection errors when Super Mario Run launched.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

It should also level out when the player base dies down. That's what they get for making it online-only! :v:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
This game is so goddamn cute.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anaxite posted:

It started working for me, but I'm waffling over which of my Nintendo accounts to use.

The servers may not yet be super stable, but this is a reminder that there I maintain an SA Animal Crossing friends database if people care to use it. I'll be on the lookout for new entries this week especially.

Fill out this form to get added: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-form
And see the database here: http://tinyurl.com/sa-acnl-db

(I'm a bit lazy in renaming the URLs)

Adding this to the OP, thanks!

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Application submitted. So far so good!

Judy can be found at 0829 9453 266. I play on an Android tablet and am in the Pacific Time Zone. Aiming for a cool camp. :tipshat:

Artsygrrl fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 21, 2017

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

It hasn't been too long, but I think I see how this game's appeal could die off after the initial days. The low camp space forces a lot of compromise, and the selection of villagers appears to be limited to some of a few species. Maybe they'll add more features, furniture, or animals in the future -- I can imagine they might also add event-specific animals.

The timers don't seem horrible. It's Animal Crossing, it's a relaxing experience, now it's just a bit more forced.

The interface is pretty slick. Nintendo has definitely been improving their mobile apps since Miitomo came out. I'm also glad they're allowing for any language to be used regardless of region!

I'm also wondering how the Quarry works, seeing as it's a Friend-or-Ticket area. That looks like one of the two main reasons for having friends.

e: drat, of course the nooklings are here too. 💸

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 21, 2017

fereldish
Jun 25, 2012
I guess I can see how after a while this might get tedious... but for now, I'm just so happy to be playing a new Animal Crossing - and it looks so vibrant and crisp! Switch version cannot come fast enough for me.

I submitted my application to the database, and added everyone listed there so far. I'm Claire at 4544 1811 531 if you'd like to be camping friends. :)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm Monty at 6299 9373 065!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Added my FC to the goonbase. Gonna request everyone so I can get some drat minerals.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also confirmed I was able to bring my save data back over to the US without issue.

-Made sure I was still logged into my MyNintendo account in-game (*with the region still set to Australia).
-Quit and then deleted the app purchased from the Australia iTunes store.
-Went to MyNintendo on the web and changed my region back to US
-Logged into my US iTunes account, re-downloaded the Pocket Camp app
-Logged back into MyNintendo in the app on startup and it pulled the save data in.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Put my code into the sheet. Really tempted to have KK Slider in my campsite...

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Quick question -- once I fulfill an animal's furniture requirements and have them visit my campsite, can I remove said furniture? The stripey sofa just doesn't go with my chill nature vibe, you know?

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
I'm really confused as to why this gane has locked out all 3rd and 4th generation ipads even though they can run MUCH more demanding games than this?? Have they ever said why that is or is this just some Apple "heh time to upgrade bud" thing?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

yay a day early. 91959725119 is my ID.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Quick question -- once I fulfill an animal's furniture requirements and have them visit my campsite, can I remove said furniture? The stripey sofa just doesn't go with my chill nature vibe, you know?

Yes. In fact, you should get a popup when you invite a camper that says "would you like the game to automatically arrange the new visitor's preferred furniture" (say yes).

And then when after the new visitor checks everything out, you'll get another popup saying "would you like to go back to your original layout?" (say yes).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Yes. In fact, you should get a popup when you invite a camper that says "would you like the game to automatically arrange the new visitor's preferred furniture" (say yes).

And then when after the new visitor checks everything out, you'll get another popup saying "would you like to go back to your original layout?" (say yes).

Great! Thank you. I'm thinking I'll put chill nature stuff in my campsite and keep the interior of my van slick and modern.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

I spent 20 tickets to do the quarry thing the other day. I was allowed to smash 5 rocks, mainly got gold and silver ore. Got a tiny amount of essence (I think sporty) as the rewards and 400 bells in exchange for the ore. I shan't be returning.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Thrilled to see this came out early! I added myself to the database: 9854 7096 702

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Does your level determine what goods you get from the nets/honey?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Looking for Resetti raid group

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Inkel posted:

Thrilled to see this came out early! I added myself to the database: 9854 7096 702

Added you! I'm 9583 2126 953, and added myself too.

I enjoy having a phone timewastey game again. Now if only they'll release one for the Switch...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Hollenhammer posted:

I spent 20 tickets to do the quarry thing the other day. I was allowed to smash 5 rocks, mainly got gold and silver ore. Got a tiny amount of essence (I think sporty) as the rewards and 400 bells in exchange for the ore. I shan't be returning.

It's absolutely not worth the 20 Leaf Tickets. If you can get enough friends, it's worth at least a once a day trip for some free Bells.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Does your level determine what goods you get from the nets/honey?

No. The game outlines the chances of what you'll catch if you tap the Details button.

Each rare catch only has a 0.5% chance to get caught in your Net/Honey. The rest each have a 25% chance to show up.

The sea throw net is awful as you have a chance to catch shells too which is just dumb.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Added everyone in the OP. M friend ID is 7796 1377 179.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I was a pretend Australian who never linked an account, today I downloaded an update and linked my UK account with no problems. Only issue is I'm bored of the game and have reached a point where I need lots of resources to craft and can't be bothered to grind for them as it's so slow.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This seems cute and neat but really just drives home the fact that there needs to be a real AC game on mobile. It's pretty much the perfect platform for it and this is kind of a crappy half-step that I assume will lead to a Switch version down the line.

Edit: Sent friend requests to everyone on the spreadsheet, ID is 10719312559

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 21, 2017

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
This game is adorable! It'll be more enjoyable when the connection issues lessen. I've added a few people from the spreadsheet and submitted my own details. Add me as Mesimean ID : 5332 6267 416 if you like!

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
2407 5308 281

Won't take my whole name, so givepatajo it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So far, Tex is objectively the best animal pal. Fight me.