Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So I installed a pair of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM last night, the computer works fine at the default 2133 MHz but crashes on boot when I try to enable XMP. I'm using a MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC with the latest BIOS update. Looking on their website it appears my particular RAM (Model F4-3200C16S-16GVK) is only compatible with Z270 MBs. Is that a real thing? Should I just return it at this point and get another RAM that's compatible with my MB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I've got an Intel i5-2500 3.30GHz cpu, gtx 760 gpu, 8 gigs of ram and a 1920 x 1200 display. I use it for photography and games. While it's more than good enough for processing photos in Lightroom, I'm having some trouble running the newer games at a steady framerate. Would I be ok just getting a new gpu or is it time to upgrade all of it?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
In the general case I'd say you're right on the line of the processor being outdated; it probably depends a lot on the specific games you're playing. The GPU is definitely ready for replacement. I would recommend observing CPU utilization at the times you're experiencing lag, and consider if your budget is limited just replacing the GPU with whatever you'd get for a new system and seeing if that makes enough difference. If it's insufficient then you can buy the rest of the system.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

So I installed a pair of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM last night, the computer works fine at the default 2133 MHz but crashes on boot when I try to enable XMP. I'm using a MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC with the latest BIOS update. Looking on their website it appears my particular RAM (Model F4-3200C16S-16GVK) is only compatible with Z270 MBs. Is that a real thing? Should I just return it at this point and get another RAM that's compatible with my MB?

Most likely. I've spent last 2 days researching the subject, and you *might* get it to work at 2933 if you play with settings. But the next bios update can screw it, also it can add to system instability.

Question: do CPU tower coolers lose their parameters over time? I consider getting a mounting kit for my ~8 years old Noctua NH-U12. I'll probably replace the fan just to be sure.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm looking at this RAM because of the price and an ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard (also because of price and because it looks to be decent based on that chart a few pages back).

For the motherboard's QVL the specific RAM model # is not listed, but if I go to the QVL for the RAM itself it lists the motherboard as being supported. Who do I trust?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'd take it. Intel generally doesn't have any problems with RAM.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

alex314 posted:

Do not get the 3GB card, you'll run into memory problems in many new games. I did with Total War:Wahammer on Full HD resolution and high detail. If you play FPS it'll be even worse.

Thanks for the details, just found a 6gb 1060 for 250 too. What is the better between a 1060 or 570?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks, I'll have you to blame now when it goes rear end up :D

I think I've finalized my upgrade build:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (snagged from Amazon for $250)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $599.95

It's slightly above the original $500 budget I was aiming for, but that build was an 8400 with 8GB of RAM. I'm pretty happy with how close I stuck to that original budget while also grabbing better parts.

Like I posted earlier I have a 6GB 1060 so I'm covered with the GPU for a bit. Anything else stand out as terrible with this list?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

FWIW I have the Gaming Pro Carbon and the 3000 Ripjaws (F4-3000C15D-16GVKB) and they XMP up to 3000 no problem. I dont see that model on their website QVL either.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Rhaegar posted:

With black Friday approaching prices for the i5-7600k are dropping but I see the value in paying more and future proofing my build by going with the i5-8600k (if I can find one in Canada).

I'm building a mirco ATX pc though using the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG case (picked this up last week when I realised I should spend my $100 gift card for NCIX before they went under). Can anyone recommend a micro ATX Z370 board though? Is the ASRock - Z370M Pro4 pretty much my only reasonable option?

This got lost at the bottom of the last page.

Anyone have any recommendations on a micro ATX Z370 board?

Thanks

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Rhaegar posted:

This got lost at the bottom of the last page.

Anyone have any recommendations on a micro ATX Z370 board?

Thanks

I was looking at the ASRock Z370M Pro 4 but it apparently has VRM limitations if you want to OC. The MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC and the ASUS ROG STRIX-G are nicer MATX MBs, cost a bit more but would likely better handle OC’ing.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
System use: Gaming on one monitor (1080p, max FPS... possibly 1440p in the future) || Heavy multi-tasking on second monitor (Youtube/Twitch, Skype, web browsing)
Budget: $2,500. I started putting away $15/week a few years back

My PC from 2010 (i7-860, HD 5850) died about a month ago... my hard drive, no-name psu and who knows what else failed in a wonderful cascade. I only ever replaced a single case fan in that build, and I limped along on lowest settings in most games for the last couple years.

I know it makes more sense to have decent builds, and to upgrade every year or two. Logically that makes sense, but I don't particularly enjoy staying abreast of the latest tech, and only do it out of necessity in times like this. I also dislike building PCs, but with the savings/part selection, it's hard to go back to prebuilts.

I've put together the ideal build below, with a couple options. While I like the i7, hero mobo, and 1tb ssd I don't know if they're worth it or if I should just downgrade for the savings:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ B&H)
OR
CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.89 @ B&H)

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.88 @ OutletPC) [I dislike liquid cooling, and plan on only mildly overclocking the CPU when/if needed]

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
OR
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon) [I was looking for low profile RAM to avoid any size conflicts with other parts]

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($447.30 @ Amazon)
OR
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($514.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.29 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Other: FSLabs Graphics Card GPU Brace Support Video Card Sag Holder/Holster Bracket, Anodized Aerospace Aluminum, Single or Dual Slot Cards (Black) ($14.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $2247.86 (for the i7, asus hero mobo, and 1tb ssd)
Total: $1851.44 (for the i5, asus strix mobo, and 500gb ssd)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-21 13:00 EST-0500

+ UPS: CyberPower - CP1500AVRLCD UPS ($144.95 @ Adorama)

Any glaring flaws, missed opportunities, or bone headed moves?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Thanks for the details, just found a 6gb 1060 for 250 too. What is the better between a 1060 or 570?

GTX 1060 should be better than RX570 (the RX580 is comparable though)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gerbil_Pen posted:

System use: Gaming on one monitor (1080p, max FPS... possibly 1440p in the future) || Heavy multi-tasking on second monitor (Youtube/Twitch, Skype, web browsing)
Budget: $2,500. I started putting away $15/week a few years back

My PC from 2010 (i7-860, HD 5850) died about a month ago... my hard drive, no-name psu and who knows what else failed in a wonderful cascade. I only ever replaced a single case fan in that build, and I limped along on lowest settings in most games for the last couple years.

I know it makes more sense to have decent builds, and to upgrade every year or two. Logically that makes sense, but I don't particularly enjoy staying abreast of the latest tech, and only do it out of necessity in times like this. I also dislike building PCs, but with the savings/part selection, it's hard to go back to prebuilts.

I've put together the ideal build below, with a couple options. While I like the i7, hero mobo, and 1tb ssd I don't know if they're worth it or if I should just downgrade for the savings:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ B&H)
OR
CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.89 @ B&H)

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.88 @ OutletPC) [I dislike liquid cooling, and plan on only mildly overclocking the CPU when/if needed]

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
OR
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon) [I was looking for low profile RAM to avoid any size conflicts with other parts]

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($447.30 @ Amazon)
OR
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($514.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.29 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Other: FSLabs Graphics Card GPU Brace Support Video Card Sag Holder/Holster Bracket, Anodized Aerospace Aluminum, Single or Dual Slot Cards (Black) ($14.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $2247.86 (for the i7, asus hero mobo, and 1tb ssd)
Total: $1851.44 (for the i5, asus strix mobo, and 500gb ssd)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-21 13:00 EST-0500

+ UPS: CyberPower - CP1500AVRLCD UPS ($144.95 @ Adorama)

Any glaring flaws, missed opportunities, or bone headed moves?

The Asus Maximus series mobos are what you get if you're gonna do some really hardcore overclocking. If you're not planning to do that, they really don't add much of note at all and you shouldn't pay extra for them. If you need wifi it doesn't need to cost you $60 either.

The PSU is probably unnecessarily big - 750W should be plenty as long as you don't go SLI later (and there's not much reason to). In fact even 750W is kinda overkill (doesn't hurt though, and gives you room to upgrade the GPU later). Doesn't save much to go down in size, either.

i5 vs i7 is debatable. The big thing with the i7 is hyperthreading, and multithreading is becoming more common in games. Is it worth $130? If you're planning to use the same CPU for a long time in the future, I'd say "probably", but that's based on historical data (CPU's have aged much slower than GPU's when it comes to improving game performance) and it's not certain that this trend will continue. Your multitasking scenario also kinda speaks in favor of the i7.

SSD size is up to you - how many games do you want to have installed at a time? If the answer is "five 50GB AAA titles at once, at the very least" then you should probably go for 1TB. You can easily add another SSD later though, if you don't want to decide now.

e: other minor things:
- do you really need a DVD drive? I haven't used mine for like five years and the only reason it's still mounted in the case is that I can't find the plastic cover for the 5.25" hole its removal would leave
- 1TB HDD is weirdly small, especially if you're going with 1TB SSD. Usually the scenario is, either you need lots of slow storage (in which case you might as well spend a few more bucks another TB or two to save you the trouble of adding another drive later), or you don't (and then the SSD on its own should be fine).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 21, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you’re spending over$2000 just stick with the i7.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

The Asus Maximus series mobos are what you get if you're gonna do some really hardcore overclocking. If you're not planning to do that, they really don't add much of note at all and you shouldn't pay extra for them. If you need wifi it doesn't need to cost you $60 either.

The PSU is probably unnecessarily big - 750W should be plenty as long as you don't go SLI later (and there's not much reason to). In fact even 750W is kinda overkill (doesn't hurt though, and gives you room to upgrade the GPU later). Doesn't save much to go down in size, either.

i5 vs i7 is debatable. The big thing with the i7 is hyperthreading, and multithreading is becoming more common in games. Is it worth $130? If you're planning to use the same CPU for a long time in the future, I'd say "probably", but that's based on historical data (CPU's have aged much slower than GPU's when it comes to improving game performance) and it's not certain that this trend will continue. Your multitasking scenario also kinda speaks in favor of the i7.

SSD size is up to you - how many games do you want to have installed at a time? If the answer is "five 50GB AAA titles at once, at the very least" then you should probably go for 1TB. You can easily add another SSD later though, if you don't want to decide now.

e: other minor things:
- do you really need a DVD drive? I haven't used mine for like five years and the only reason it's still mounted in the case is that I can't find the plastic cover for the 5.25" hole its removal would leave
- 1TB HDD is weirdly small, especially if you're going with 1TB SSD. Usually the scenario is, either you need lots of slow storage (in which case you might as well spend a few more bucks another TB or two to save you the trouble of adding another drive later), or you don't (and then the SSD on its own should be fine).

Thank you -- this is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

My last i7 was a treat - it was never the bottleneck, and that was nice. I'll stick with the i7, and downsize on the mobo and psu. I don't really need the DVD drive... I guess I threw it in for nostalgia. I do have 5-10 games that are decently sized, and will likely have more once this is complete so I'll keep the larger ssd.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Keep the larger SSD, but also bump up your HDD to something like a WD Red 4TB. $100 more for 4x the bulk storage for media or games you don't play much, etc. Unless you're absolutely certain you'd never use that storage.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Thank you -- this is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

My last i7 was a treat - it was never the bottleneck, and that was nice. I'll stick with the i7, and downsize on the mobo and psu. I don't really need the DVD drive... I guess I threw it in for nostalgia. I do have 5-10 games that are decently sized, and will likely have more once this is complete so I'll keep the larger ssd.

Right now I have a 250gb ssd for my OS and a 500gb ssd for steam games plus a 4tb hdd for the rest. With the black Friday sales (microcenter has some good in-store deals for ssds right now) you could probably get those three drives for cheaper than getting a single 1tb ssd.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ughhhh posted:

Right now I have a 250gb ssd for my OS and a 500gb ssd for steam games plus a 4tb hdd for the rest. With the black Friday sales (microcenter has some good in-store deals for ssds right now) you could probably get those three drives for cheaper than getting a single 1tb ssd.

Good idea. I'll throw a 500gb and 250gb on the parts list and keep an eye on sales.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'm going to be picking up a motherboard, ram and 8700k from my local shop but I'm told that cpu does not come with cooling. I currently have a coolermaster hyper 212 which says that it supports socket 1151 with an * but won't say why. Will I have trouble mounting that cooler or it's not powerful enough or what's up with that asterisk?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Zigmidge posted:

I'm going to be picking up a motherboard, ram and 8700k from my local shop but I'm told that cpu does not come with cooling. I currently have a coolermaster hyper 212 which says that it supports socket 1151 with an * but won't say why. Will I have trouble mounting that cooler or it's not powerful enough or what's up with that asterisk?

You'll be fine. I have a T4 on my 8600k.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Zigmidge posted:

I'm going to guess it's the same case as with AM4 where you need a new bracket in order to use it with 1151.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zigmidge posted:

In general terms, usually aftermarket coolers come with some kind of adaptable mounting bracket kit that has a bunch of different screw holes and adapter parts that make it possible to fit it on a whole bunch of sockets with different distances between mounting holes, different socket heights over the PCB, different die sizes etc etc. If it says it supports 1151 with an asterisk it probably means you need some kind of adapter/washer/stud/bracket/other small piece(s) of metal that may or may not have come with the cooler originally and that you may or may not have misplaced since then.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Is there an appreciable difference between the Ryzen 1600 and 1600X for gaming? Would be paired with a GTX 980 for 1440P.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

TheFluff posted:

If it says it supports 1151 with an asterisk it probably means you need some kind of adapter/washer/stud/bracket/other small piece(s) of metal that may or may not have come with the cooler originally and that you may or may not have misplaced since then.

Ah, good times ahead for my fat fingers then! Thanks, guys.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I just installed my 8700K last night with the Hyper 212 Evo. Works perfectly using the included mounting hardware. No issues.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

willroc7 posted:

FWIW I have the Gaming Pro Carbon and the 3000 Ripjaws (F4-3000C15D-16GVKB) and they XMP up to 3000 no problem. I dont see that model on their website QVL either.

FML I guess. Snagged a great price for them on clearance too. Oh welp. Just ordered a pair of Corsair LPX 3000 MHz from Amazon. Yay for free same-day delivery.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ErikTheRed posted:

Is there an appreciable difference between the Ryzen 1600 and 1600X for gaming? Would be paired with a GTX 980 for 1440P.

Buy the 1600 and OC it to 1600X levels. This is pretty much standard procedure for all of the X/Non-X variants. The X's don't come with heatsinks either, and the non-X's do so even more reason to do it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I would really like to see people posting back in this thread detailing their Black Friday Deals.

I'm a cynic and don't think there will be much on decent stuff, would love to be disproved.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

VulgarandStupid posted:

Buy the 1600 and OC it to 1600X levels. This is pretty much standard procedure for all of the X/Non-X variants. The X's don't come with heatsinks either, and the non-X's do so even more reason to do it.

My 1300x came with the Wraith Stealth..

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dead Goon posted:

I'm a cynic and don't think there will be much on decent stuff, would love to be disproved.

Dell website deal:
There was an Alienware Aurora i-7 8700, 8 GB, 1T, gtx 1070 for $999. It starts on 8am and sold out in 15 mins.

Then there was Alienware Aurora i-5 8400, 8 GB, 1T, gtx 1060 for $799]. It starts on 11 am and sold out in about 25 min.

I got the second one and upgrade it to 16 gb, 1070 for $999

Planning to post what’s inside when i receive it since Aurora R7 seem new enough to not have actual spec on the Internet yet.

Edit: there was another deal with 1080, but 7700

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2017

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

axelord posted:

Can't you just plug the USB into another computer to see if it works?

My girlfriend used her computer and it showed up and all, but the actual file was broken? Anyway, put Windows on a new USB and it immediately worked... cool usb, Windows via amazon

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

HatJudge posted:

I've got an Intel i5-2500 3.30GHz cpu, gtx 760 gpu, 8 gigs of ram and a 1920 x 1200 display. I use it for photography and games. While it's more than good enough for processing photos in Lightroom, I'm having some trouble running the newer games at a steady framerate. Would I be ok just getting a new gpu or is it time to upgrade all of it?

Have you not overclocked that processor? Stock heatsink on it? If you overclock that thing and add a 1060 6GB you'll be in great shape.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dead Goon posted:

I would really like to see people posting back in this thread detailing their Black Friday Deals.

Newegg's Masterpass promo along with MIRs is taking (nVidia) GPUs back to the same prices that were *normal* two years ago, so that's nice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

c0burn posted:

My 1300x came with the Wraith Stealth..

So does the 1500x but I didn’t want to go in specifics when this dude prob doesn’t care.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Picked up an Asus Prime Z370-A, 8700k and 16GB of gskill aegis (3000mhz) and installed her tonight. It's so much fun sitting on the floor surrounded by tools and hardware swapping things out.

Thanks for the tips on the Coolermaster 212, again. It installed just fine without any additional brackets or mods.

GTA V went from 98% cpu usage on my old 4.4ghz 2500k down to 30%.

Nerd retail therapy is great.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I have this PC and want to upgrade it.

Dell XPS 8700

4th gen Intel® Core™ i7-4790 (8MB Caché, up to 4.00 GHz)
16GB double channel RAM, DDR3, 1600MHz, 4 DIMMs
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5
SATA 2TB 7200 RPM (6.0 Gb/s) Hard drive + 32GB SSD
Windows 10

I use it for: Photoshop (large files), After effects, Animate and some gaming.
Budget: I just want the best bang for my buck to bring it up to date, it doesn't need to be top of the line.

Is it worth upgrading it?
If so, what parts should I look into? With what? I was thinking about the video card first.
I don't know basically anything about PC building. Is the process basically unplug/plug and uninstall/install drivers? Or is it more complex than that? I'm willing to look into some youtube tutorials or whatever to make sure I don't break anything.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
This prebuilt is making its way around the internet, and I'm wondering what the thread thinks about it:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...999289100050003

At first blush it seems like a great deal for the money, but a lot of the parts seem way cut-down or last-gen compared to all the new stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dragon enthusiast posted:

This prebuilt is making its way around the internet, and I'm wondering what the thread thinks about it:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...999289100050003

At first blush it seems like a great deal for the money, but a lot of the parts seem way cut-down or last-gen compared to all the new stuff.

It has a 3GB 1060. Selling that as a "VR Ready" machine is a lie.

This is honestly a better deal (if it's still active): http://www.pcgamer.com/this-dell-desktop-with-ryzen-7-1700x-and-radeon-rx-580-is-on-sale-for-850/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is a Noctua - NH-D15S a good enough cooler for an i7-8700K? Even if I OC it.

Or should I go for an AIO cooler? If so, any recommendations