Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So with the FCC's plans to repeal net neutrality, how will this affect Steam?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you go back to Baldurs Gate, which I suggest you should, I think you should get a mod that lets you rest anywhere. This makes the vancian magic tolerable imo
I always went through each dungeon / area in one go, returning back to a friendly area to rest. It's just the only thing that actually makes sense for m-my immersion, and being forced to conserve spells made for an interesting consideration. One reason why Pillars never clicked for me is that it apparently assumes you're just going to be resting in the middle of exploration.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Depends on how much money Valve is willing to pony up. Online gaming as a whole might suffer if ISPs decide gaming traffic will be throttled unless consumers pay for gamingplus+ subscription levels.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Anyone played RUINER yet? I put it on a watchlist because I had just finished Neon Chrome and started JYDGE when I saw it on Steam. For some reason, the fast-paced cyberpunky aesthetic of the latter two games really landed with me and Ruiner looked like it might scratch the itch too.

It's on sale, but no one's talked much about it, so I assume it's kind of a dud? How does it compare to Neon Chrome and JYDGE?

(BTW JYDGE is excellent if you didn't know. Think Hotline Miami but with unlockable load outs, slower gun play, a more varied arsenal of cyber weapons and items, and levels you iteratively complete with various challenges such as speed runs, stealth runs, no-kill runs, etc. If they ever put in a map editor, hooooo doggies!).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mary had a little clam posted:

Anyone played RUINER yet? I put it on a watchlist because I had just finished Neon Chrome and started JYDGE when I saw it on Steam. For some reason, the fast-paced cyberpunky aesthetic of the latter two games really landed with me and Ruiner looked like it might scratch the itch too.

It's on sale, but no one's talked much about it, so I assume it's kind of a dud? How does it compare to Neon Chrome and JYDGE?

(BTW JYDGE is excellent if you didn't know. Think Hotline Miami but with unlockable load outs, slower gun play, a more varied arsenal of cyber weapons and items, and levels you iteratively complete with various challenges such as speed runs, stealth runs, no-kill runs, etc. If they ever put in a map editor, hooooo doggies!).

Ruiner good. Think Jydge on drygs, many times faster.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

occamsnailfile posted:

Depends on how much money Valve is willing to pony up. Online gaming as a whole might suffer if ISPs decide gaming traffic will be throttled unless consumers pay for gamingplus+ subscription levels.

gently caress, I really hope this doesn't kill Valve

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Contact your reps and tell them ending net neutrality is bad. If they're dumb like my rep they'll say, "the internet has thrived for years without net neutrality and is therefore unnecessary."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xander77 posted:

I always went through each dungeon / area in one go, returning back to a friendly area to rest. It's just the only thing that actually makes sense for m-my immersion, and being forced to conserve spells made for an interesting consideration. One reason why Pillars never clicked for me is that it apparently assumes you're just going to be resting in the middle of exploration.

gently caress that, camp for literal in game weeks inside the corner of a dungeon to heal yourself. All the cool kids do it. Doing dungeons in one go is the kind of thing veterans do when they want a challenge. Especially things like the opening dungeon of Baldur's Gate 2. Doing that in one go would be pretty difficult. I'm just sayin', the dungeons themselves are not designed with that kind of limitation in mind.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wildtortilla posted:

Contact your reps and tell them ending net neutrality is bad. If they're dumb like my rep they'll say, "the internet has thrived for years without net neutrality and is therefore unnecessary."

Jesus loving christ.

I mean it's not surprising, just disappointing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Willo567 posted:

So with the FCC's plans to repeal net neutrality, how will this affect Steam?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html

valce is a big company so it probably won't affect steam. on the other hand something awful will be restricted to dialup speeds

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

gently caress that, camp for literal in game weeks inside the corner of a dungeon to heal yourself. All the cool kids do it. Doing dungeons in one go is the kind of thing veterans do when they want a challenge. Especially things like the opening dungeon of Baldur's Gate 2. Doing that in one go would be pretty difficult. I'm just sayin', the dungeons themselves are not designed with that kind of limitation in mind.

Yeah, not resting at all in dungeons seems unnecessarily hardcore and definitely not something you would want to do your first playthrough. They're not easy games until you have a firm grasp of the mechanics.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Excuse me net neutrality ending will actually "expand consumer choices"

somehow

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It will! You'll now have the choice to pay lots of money for first-world normal internet speeds, or only a tiny bit less money for unbearable trash internet speeds! And you'll have the additional choices of adding a bunch of different packages that all cost a lot of money to make the sites you frequent actually usable. Choices all around!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

corn in the bible posted:

valce is a big company so it probably won't affect steam. on the other hand something awful will be restricted to dialup speeds

that is some self-blinding safety blanket posting right there

steam will be part of the 'gamer's package' bundled with access to twitch, pewdiepie's youtube channel and on the premium tier of bandwidth limits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please text 'resist' to 50409. A bot will reply and ask for your zip code and such so it can determine who your reps are. It'll let you message your representatives without you having to do any of the gruntwork and it is extremely important that you contact people who can actually make a difference, because normal people like us sure as hell can't do anything about it. Seriously, do it, it takes like five minutes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, really, actually do it. Right now. It's the easiest thing, you have absolutely no excuse not to do it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Isn't this up to the FCC and not congress? Your reps won't be able to do poo poo and Ajit Pai is gonna get his way.

On one hand the overlap between 4chan nazis and gamers are going to lose their poo poo over this which makes me laugh. On the other hand, Pai and Devos are really doing a shitload of damage which makes me sad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

No, really, actually do it. Right now. It's the easiest thing, you have absolutely no excuse not to do it.

my congresspeoples' stance on net neutrality is, what does the internet have to do with hawaii? :downs:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Is there anything non-US peeps can do?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The resistbot website has some solid proof that your messages are actually being read and do matter when they come in big enough amounts. The final vote is up to the FCC but nothing motivates congressmen and women more than the people under them threatening to vote for the other party come next election. Ajit Pai is not going to get his way if enough people care, just like he didn't get his way last time or the time before that or so on.

kxZyle posted:

In theory you could just give the bot any US address, it'll send you to the right channels no matter where you're actually from. It's probably unethical to fake being in the US in order to get your message heard but what they are doing is unethical in the first place so fair is fair imo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 21, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

my congresspeoples' stance on net neutrality is, what does the internet have to do with hawaii? :downs:

Are surf jokes fine here because it was the first thing to pop in my head.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kxZyle posted:

Make sure your own country doesn't do the same thing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Telus and Shaw (:canada:) are no doubt watching this intently, because as soon as they get the chance they're going to carve up the internet something fierce.

The CRTC has slapped them down in the past, though.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Matt Zerella posted:

Isn't this up to the FCC and not congress? Your reps won't be able to do poo poo and Ajit Pai is gonna get his way.

On one hand the overlap between 4chan nazis and gamers are going to lose their poo poo over this which makes me laugh. On the other hand, Pai and Devos are really doing a shitload of damage which makes me sad.

It is but congress can get involved by proposing a law to stop it (although not likely). The other thing to consider is when it does pass, someone will definitely sue to stop and put a hold against and is possible to get it blocked through litigation but burden of proof will need to be sufficient.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dias posted:

Are surf jokes fine here because it was the first thing to pop in my head.

if the whole thing where local governing bodies accept bribes from cruise ship companies to look the other way while they flush their sewage into our coastal waters and bays is any indication, our congresspeople don't care about surfing either

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

no politics in the steam thread guys

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Won't the US doing it impact the rest of us anyway? What will happen when my computer in the UK wants to access a US site?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It will! You'll now have the choice to pay lots of money for first-world normal internet speeds, or only a tiny bit less money for unbearable trash internet speeds! And you'll have the additional choices of adding a bunch of different packages that all cost a lot of money to make the sites you frequent actually usable. Choices all around!

Mostly correct. It's actually the businesses who will be forced to buy the packages from the ISPs, not the end-users. Larger sites/companies will likely be able to front the cost (as long as the telecom company doesn't decide to just throttle them to run them out of business for being competition) and shield the end-user from the effect, smaller sites will likely need to pass the speed costs onto the end-user to sustain their speed.

This is still effectively as bad for end-users as what you are describing, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

Please text 'resist' to 50409. A bot will reply and ask for your zip code and such so it can determine who your reps are. It'll let you message your representatives without you having to do any of the gruntwork and it is extremely important that you contact people who can actually make a difference, because normal people like us sure as hell can't do anything about it. Seriously, do it, it takes like five minutes.

my representative is ted cruz

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Having to cherry pick an ISP so I got quota-free downloads for my Xbox 360 stuff was bad enough, ugh. And I'm in Aus.
We'll be the first loving place to copy the US if that happens.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

my representative is ted cruz

well then you just have to write it in zalgo font and he'll understand

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Eight years of this and they finally succeeded on the ninth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

no politics in the steam thread guys

Please dont mock really dumb rules. Its trying its best :(

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Synthbuttrange posted:

Please dont mock really dumb rules. Its trying its best :(

The new rule will be, "Do not ask "Is this law bad/is this law good" or any manner of that kind of ironic questioning any more"

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Two copyright eternalists and a Dominionist with aspirations of being the tyrant in a fascist regime. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

il_cornuto posted:

Won't the US doing it impact the rest of us anyway? What will happen when my computer in the UK wants to access a US site?

It'll affect traffic simply touching the US at any point. Hopefully the Internet recognizing and routing around damage does its job. We deserve no better.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Is there usually a thanksgiving sale?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

strategery posted:

Is there usually a thanksgiving sale?

It starts tomorrow according to the leaked sale dates.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I fully approve of the "don't mix politics and games" rule.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I fully approve of the "don't mix politics and games" rule.

Net neutrality kind of has the potential to have a massive impact on games and especially Steam. For example, a publisher could pay to throttle Steam's download speeds (though not as directly as that sounds) but keep their own services (uPlay, Origin, Blizzard's thing, and so on) fast in an effort to force people to change services. You think every publisher having their own online service is bad? Try every publisher having their own preferred ISP for each online service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Its bad enough that social networking sites are clamping down on free speech. Now there is a possibility that any site could be slowed down where wrongthink is permitted, unless you want to buy some MT for it.