Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

cigaw posted:

Given your goals of balance and control you'll probably get more mileage out of yoga than you will from Tai Chi.

What sports are you getting back to?

Soccer and super nerdy armored combat. But mostly soccer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

super nerdy armored combat
HMB? Or are you one of those rich fucks who can afford to joust?

I'm totally not jealous of people who can afford to joust!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 21, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Siivola posted:

HMB? Or are you one of those rich fucks who can afford to joust?

I'm totally not jealous of people who can afford to joust!

SCA.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i was hoping willie dee had been killed by a gang of scooter hooligans already

That's not very supportive.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Man think how messed up the world would be if Feng Shui was a viable method of attack. Ninjas sneaking into your apartment, shifting your coffee table to block the widow a bit, and BLAM colon cancer!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All jokes aside, Yoga is going to be far better for you. Spice it up with some hot yoga.

My mate there does it for the exact reasons you want to try something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't do hot yoga. It's almost as bad as crossfit for injuries.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'll try some cold yoga then. Thanks!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh right, you guys are around the "nerdy swordy sphere" too.

If the tai chi instructor does a lot of push hands training, you might pick up some neat things you can do with your shoulders and weight distribution. It's kinda woo, but it's interesting woo. Might be useful for moving around in harness I dunno.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll try some cold yoga then. Thanks!

Just regular yoga is good. "Hatha" class is a good place to start.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Don't do hot yoga. It's almost as bad as crossfit for injuries.

Really? Can you expand on that? Never heard that claimed before.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lift a weight, man. Your knees and rotator cuffs will thank you.

So many belted fighters who walk like old men by 50 because they never did a squat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mods? Police?!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Really? Can you expand on that? Never heard that claimed before.

The heat encourages people, especially novices, to go beyond their safe range of motion. Muscle tears galore.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds fake but ok

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ICHIBAHN posted:

Sounds fake but ok

Happened to me. It's pretty common.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Seems like you'll give yoga a go, but I say go play soccer too. Yoga's not going to help you huff and puff your way down the field too much.

On the other hand, SCA looks like the best kind of stupid poo poo. It's like LARPing EXTREMETM. Is it individual or can you command other people's fealty and order them to run full speed into the enemy like the feudal lord we all want to be?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

cigaw posted:

Seems like you'll give yoga a go, but I say go play soccer too. Yoga's not going to help you huff and puff your way down the field too much.

On the other hand, SCA looks like the best kind of stupid poo poo. It's like LARPing EXTREMETM. Is it individual or can you command other people's fealty and order them to run full speed into the enemy like the feudal lord we all want to be?

I was playing an indoor match the other day after not having played for over a year, and while the huffing and puffing was an issue, so was my inability to samba like I used to.

As for the SCA stuff, it's really great. None of the stupid magic nonsense (or even weird talking) that you get in LARP stuff, but lots of beating the gently caress out of people with sticks. You can totally fight alone, which is what tournaments are all about, but the big battles are usually fought by units. If my unit commander tells me to run full speed into the shield wall, I'll totally do it. I'll just be alive in the next battle anyway!

If I'm at a war and my unit isn't, I'll hire myself out as a mercenary, usually accepting payment in whisky.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommonShore posted:

Happened to me. It's pretty common.

I don't think so, no.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't think so, no.

Anecdotal and not meant to pile on you, but my GF has done a bit of hot yoga and had to stopped after three sessions because she felt it was unsafe. For the same reason Commonshore mentioned. Scarily, the mentality of one of the places she visited was that people shouldn't even drink while they were doing hot yoga.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even if it's not a thing (which it is, even if you don't want to take my word for it), what are the benefits of hot yoga? It's all bullshit like "flushing toxins." On top of that, the major hot yoga thing out there is "Bikram" which is a designation that instructors can get by paying $12,000-$16,000 and spending a bit of time with a serial sexual harasser in California:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bikram-yoga-lawsuit-1.3421547

In other words, hot yoga is woo. Regular yoga is good. Good breathing and patient stretching doesn't need extra garbage piled on top for it to have benefits.

I know it's not a peer-reviewed source, but here's like the first google result
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/hot-yoga-booming-but-it-may-be-bad-for-you-051515#7

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Anyone train Wing Chun? What's it like?

Lucky enough to have GM William Cheung living in my city and he has an academy here. Procrastinating for usual reasons.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Brinner posted:

Lucky enough to have GM William Cheung living in my city and he has an academy here. Procrastinating for usual reasons.

What is your desired purpose for training kung fu?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It really depends what you're looking for in a martial art. Wing Chun won't make you good at actually fighting, if that's your goal.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 24, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Brinner posted:

It's bullshit like akido, tkd and feng shui. It's a bit like joining a cult that tells you you can now fight, but you can't really.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/10155619462771558/

Amazing reaction if this isn't fake, sad that there wasn't more follow up once the thief was on the floor. Breaking his arm would mean that even if he ran away, the police would know to be on the look out for someone coming in with a kimura injury. Guess the hero didn't know what the driver was going to do and didn't want a 2 v 1 situation. Interesting times. Confidence lads. Peace be with you.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Expanding upon the WC thing.

There are martial arts that won't make you a weapon, but they're cool and fun, like wushu or capoeira.
Then there are martial arts that are a historical reenactment kind of deal, like HEMA.
Then there are martial arts that are effective, work in all circumstances, and are constantly improving as a result of competition: judo, bjj, sambo, wrestling, boxing, muay thai.

...then there are martial arts that sell themselves as self-defence systems that will turn you into a human weapon, but they're mostly worthless, and won't work against anybody competent: ninjitsu, wing chun, and aikido are the worst offenders. They exist because people like to believe in magical ancient masters and secret techniques, but they don't test anything that they train against resisting opponents, and they have no competition and no way to empirically test anything, so it's all just hearsay if anything actually works. They tend to have a culty atmosphere, too.

Krav Maga also belongs here because it relies on this flawed assumption that Israeli soldiers are all badasses at hand-to-hand combat. They aren't, military combatives are garbage and the only reason they even teach hand-to-hand combat in modern militaries is to try and minimize the chance that soldiers will flee in the (highly unlikely) event that they accidentally end up in melee combat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

In my experience there's a pretty big overlap between historical reenactment kind of martial arts and the "mystical ancient masters" stuff. I'd imagine lots of people get into traditional Japanese jujitsu for the samurai aesthetic, and there's a poo poo ton of really lame "you're all poo poo my way is the ~~truly martial~~ way to swing swords!!" in HEMA. See, for instance, that video of HEMA dudes trying to turn the clock back on modern boxing.

If you're curious about butterfly swords or really like the Ip Man trilogy, you could do worse than get into wing chun imo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Krav Maga also belongs here because it relies on this flawed assumption that Israeli soldiers are all badasses at hand-to-hand combat. They aren't, military combatives are garbage and the only reason they even teach hand-to-hand combat in modern militaries is to try and minimize the chance that soldiers will flee in the (highly unlikely) event that they accidentally end up in melee combat.

One of my best training partners, a Canadian military guy, once as a throwaway remark commented that anyone who has trained at a proper jiu jitsu academy two or three times per week for six months will be able to win national combatives, provided that in the bracket they don't run into someone who trains on their own time (i.e. prior, non-military knowledge in BJJ, judo, or wrestling). I've had that experience a number of times, too - young new recruits come in, either military or police, and they think they're awesome and that they'll beat everyone up because they did a few afternoon grappling seminars during basic. It's great entertainment seeing a guy like that get styled on by a 17 year old girl.

He also did a week-long seminar session with a top-level combatives instructor, and he said he knew more about grappling than the guy did, although the guy was much more adept at stabbing people while rolling.

Re Wing Chun - go see if it's fun, and if it's fun go have fun with it. Don't go to a club that doesn't let you have a free trial, and don't go to a club that puts pressure on you to sign a contract that's more than a few months at a time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

He also did a week-long seminar session with a top-level combatives instructor, and he said he knew more about grappling than the guy did, although the guy was much more adept at stabbing people while rolling.
Cold steel really is the great equaliser. :ese:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

Cold steel really is the great equaliser. :ese:

Seriously. My buddy was like "ok, so I normally finish the triangle like this but it doesn't work well in boots" and the guy was like "When I have boots on I finish the triangle by pulling a knife from the boot and stabbing the guy in the side of the head and then standing up and grabbing my gun and shooting him in the chest."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ah, the John Wick variation

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Former wing chun monkey here. I did it for a couple of years before getting fed up with it and dropping it to study just BJJ and Muay Thai.

Wc isn't useful for much, it won't get you in shape, it won't teach you how to fight, and it won't teach you how to think. It looks cool when done well to people who don't know what is and what is not a good method for hitting people. On top of that there is a whole cult of the master thing which leads to stuff like training styles outside of wc being frowned upon or sneered at, questions about efficacy being waved away when you're new, and questions about efficacy generally not asked and not wanted when you're experienced.

So ama?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Will it get me extremely laid like this guy's about to?
https://imgur.com/gallery/LDfNY

This cracks me up cuz, I dunno how casting is done for this, but he must have been like, yeah... I know some campy martial arts moves we can use.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Will it get me extremely laid like this guy's about to?
https://imgur.com/gallery/LDfNY

This is beautiful. I will say WC combined with stuff like Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai, and Capoera would be a good resume to go do stuntman kung fu stuff.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Thanks guys.

I was really just looking for something that would be fun and give me good training exercises I could do anywhere and get better at using/training my body and not be a gangly clumsy teenager at 25. The mental aspect would be nice too. I'm not looking to learn how to fight for self defense or anything though I guess that comes with the territory. Krav Maga was way too full on when I tried and the last BJJ school I went too told me to put on 20 pounds and come back.

Man wushu is rad i'd love to give it a go once I was more in shape.

KildarX posted:

Wc isn't useful for much, it won't get you in shape, it won't teach you how to fight, and it won't teach you how to think.

Welp, this sounds like everything I didn't want! I guess i'll go along for a couple sessions and see how I feel but i'll look for something else.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Brinner posted:

Thanks guys.

I was really just looking for something that would be fun and give me good training exercises I could do anywhere and get better at using/training my body and not be a gangly clumsy teenager at 25.

Take up Kickboxing/Boxing. It's fun and you can practice it outside of your gym anywhere that has a heavy bag set up. These days even apartment complexes have a bag set up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brinner posted:

Thanks guys.

I was really just looking for something that would be fun and give me good training exercises I could do anywhere and get better at using/training my body and not be a gangly clumsy teenager at 25. The mental aspect would be nice too. I'm not looking to learn how to fight for self defense or anything though I guess that comes with the territory. Krav Maga was way too full on when I tried and the last BJJ school I went too told me to put on 20 pounds and come back.

Man wushu is rad i'd love to give it a go once I was more in shape.

Welp, this sounds like everything I didn't want! I guess i'll go along for a couple sessions and see how I feel but i'll look for something else.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Name and shame. Tall skinny guys can be extremely good at BJJ.

In fact, the cool thing about the hug-based martial arts is that they are good for literally any body type or level of athleticism. Idgaf - come on the mats and be a grapple friend. We had one girl at judo who was so out of shape that she couldn't even do one pushup from her knees when she started, and she picked up a gold medal in a tournament.

The prospect of a bjj club saying to someone "lol u don't have enough muscles" has me really loving angry, and I'd wager that you picked a bad club. It makes me want to go fight the person who runs it.

ANYWAY

If you're ok with the personal space stuff, try grappling again at a different club which isn't run by assholes. If you just want to get in shape, go for boxing or muai thai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A BJJ school telling you to leave because you're too skinny is loving bizarre. Like, to the point where I'm seriously doubting that happened, unless someone was joking with you and you took it seriously. Which I guess is possible, because goons.