Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LLCoolJD posted:

Yup. It's 52 GOP to 48 Democrats in the Senate. I would consider McCain a likely defector and who knows who else might bail on it over the state tax issue, or over the budget deficits it necessarily produces.
All the "deficit hawk" sens are probably no's as well as an early no from Sen. Johnson R-WI so it's pretty much stillborn in the senate, thank god. Not to mention they are still loving trying to destroy the ACA in this bill :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

(calmly) there's problems with the tax bill.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Risky Bisquick posted:

They might be trading in a roth

Fair enough, I was assuming any trading is done in a taxable account. I wouldn’t feel comfortable dicking around with my retirement.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Syrinxx posted:

All the "deficit hawk" sens are probably no's as well as an early no from Sen. Johnson R-WI so it's pretty much stillborn in the senate, thank god. Not to mention they are still loving trying to destroy the ACA in this bill :suicide:

The ACA thing either indicates they are stupid, or they don't even want it to pass and are just spinning their wheels for some reason.

paternity suitor posted:

Fair enough, I was assuming any trading is done in a taxable account. I wouldn’t feel comfortable dicking around with my retirement.

Oh baby, scaling into trades with tax advantaged accounts is how good money is made. Be like Romney, have a 100million dollar IRA

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJ8mbwuYW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiybniIIvx0&t=5s

Just go on youtube and search options trading and watch an hour or two of videos

e: namaste nasdaq deities for today
Will view those. Thanks 'brah.

Also to those who were asking - I have enough SQ that discussing options might be worth my while.

Droo posted:

Especially late in the year like now, someone in that guy's situation might want to buy puts because he is worried about the stock being overvalued but doesn't want to realize a large capital gain until next year. So January puts could be a perfect tool to use.
And this is the sort of thing I want to learn more about. I've learned all about options theory and such, but am really green when it comes to actually trading them. I'm a :canada: guy who'd be trading them inside of an RSP (our 401k equivalent). So tax events aren't an issue.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 17, 2017

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I wasn't able to trade options in my 401k. If that's available to you that's awesome.

Well, I was able to, but I needed to have the funds available to buy the underlying shares, so kind of pointless.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

melon cat posted:

Will view those. Thanks 'brah.

Also to those who were asking - I have enough SQ that discussing options might be worth my while.

And this is the sort of thing I want to learn more about. I've learned all about options theory and such, but am really green when it comes to actually trading them. I'm a :canada: guy who'd be trading them inside of an RSP (our 401k equivalent). So tax events aren't an issue.

Well I hope you haven't done anything yet. SQ up another 5% today. Just crazy.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Took a better part of the year but CALM finally paying

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

fougera posted:

Took a better part of the year but CALM finally paying

I bought it with my proceeds when I sold SAFM a year ago, but I just can't see any SAFM bull case at this level, but CALM should have room to run.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Not sure if this is worthy of it's own thread or not, but I'd say this this is probably the best place for speculation posts. What do folks think of the equity crowdfunding scene?

Wefunder/localstake/microventures/seedinvest/etc... All of the platforms are still fairly new and there's no secondary market as far as I can see.

Depending on the offering it looks like there's actually a decent amount of data on financial performance/conditions available to make some real analytical decisions off of.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

El Mero Mero posted:

Not sure if this is worthy of it's own thread or not, but I'd say this this is probably the best place for speculation posts. What do folks think of the equity crowdfunding scene?

Wefunder/localstake/microventures/seedinvest/etc... All of the platforms are still fairly new and there's no secondary market as far as I can see.

Depending on the offering it looks like there's actually a decent amount of data on financial performance/conditions available to make some real analytical decisions off of.

https://help.startengine.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003519266-How-do-I-pay-with-a-credit-card-

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

All of the projects on those sites are there because they have a compelling reason to only accept crowdfunded equity, or they were unable to obtain their desired capital from more informed/connected sources. This could just mean that startups have a hard time finding local angel groups, or that the business model was not attractive to any of the angel investors that they could fund.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sweet, getting in on the ground floor of the next Apple with my 24% interest credit card. Can someone calculate my leverage using the minimum payment?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Holy buckets guys if you invest the max 2k in a stock share with an Amazon VISA you get roughly 40 bucks back in Amazon points this is like the double edged sword of money making. You're making money off making money!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weren't there a bunch of people buying bitcoin with rewards cards for exactly this same thing?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
You can buy stocks with a credit card?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Unregulated equities, even better!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Cheesemaster200 posted:

lendingclub.com :thumbsup:

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

Jack Daniels posted:

this is incredible too bad i am other country

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jack Daniels posted:

Lmao someone needs to do a lendingclub thread at some point.

That poo poo is a bubble in a bubble.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Vox Nihili posted:

Lmao someone needs to do a lendingclub thread at some point.

That poo poo is a bubble in a bubble.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518620

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Speaking of bubbles...

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
There's a strange providence protecting people other than Mt.Gox users who buy bitcoin. In 50 years, the "credits" currency that you hear about in sci/fi will be bitcoin and we'll all be old fiat currency paupers living in the slums beneath the rows of flying cars.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Always Do Your DD

https://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes/status/932740742556078080

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

are there any good leveraged bitcoin etfs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Last I checked ProShares was trying to get something registered, but no idea if it's out or not.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

praise be

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

A MIRACLE posted:

This but tied to Zimbabweian bonds also please, thanks.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Sold my full SQ position today at 47.45. Sad to see it go but that was an epic run.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kal Torak posted:

Sold my full SQ position today at 47.45. Sad to see it go but that was an epic run.
I got in last week due to the discussion itt.

I'm not getting out until my own triple. :colbert:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I got in last week due to the discussion itt.

I'm not getting out until my own triple. :colbert:

Well it closed after hours up $2 per share more than I sold it at so....you're welcome.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got into SQ at like 12 a share but had to sell a few months back to pay for a move :(

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Square was on my watch list forever, I seriously regret not pulling the trigger on it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Goodpancakes posted:

I got into SQ at like 12 a share but had to sell a few months back to pay for a move :(

Reminds me of when I sold JKS to cover costs of buying/moving into my house. I made very good gains on it but the thing went to the moon in the months following my sale. C'est la vie.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
A smart alert for HMNY was triggered November 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM EST Price went up by 5%
A smart alert for HMNY was triggered November 22, 2017 at 09:33 AM EST Price went down by 5%

Anyone back into MoviePass? It's been on the rebound the past week and a bit

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

HMNY is way too risky even for me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have like 30 shares

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

LLCoolJD posted:

Reminds me of when I sold JKS to cover costs of buying/moving into my house. I made very good gains on it but the thing went to the moon in the months following my sale. C'est la vie.

Ugh, yeah, I sold a position to close on a house. I wasn’t mad about where I had to sell, but I wouldn’t have done so otherwise. I was about 10% below my price target. Well now it’s trading about 10% over my target. I sold off $50k, so that’s a $10k difference...

I like my house though 🤷🏻‍♂️

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kal Torak posted:

I've set my own target at $50/share and thinking of reducing my position at that point. But then again I said the exact same thing about the $40/share mark. I really need to make a disciplined decision instead of giving into a perpetual fear of FOMO/blatant greed.

LLCoolJD posted:

Yeah, c'est la vie indeed. I wouldn't feel bad about it because it's extra money that you wouldn't have had in the first place.
The most dangerous thing is getting caught up in your own personal greed.

"Just one more dollar! An extra half percentage! Aaaaaand I've lost all of gains. FML."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

paternity suitor posted:

I like my house though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same :cool::hf::cool:

melon cat posted:

Yeah, c'est la vie indeed. I wouldn't feel bad about it because it's extra money that you wouldn't have in the first place.
The most dangerous thing is getting caught up in your own personal greed."

Just one more dollar! An extra half percentage! Aaaaaand I've lost all of gains. FML."

Oh, absolutely. I am very grateful for the profits I have made off of stock trades over the past few years. As frustrating as it might be to miss out on further gains, losses feel so much worse.