Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Omg

Lid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Austin/Taker angle on this week's retro Raw is breathtakingly stupid

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i am not joking when i say i want the nobodies to have on dave meltzer in the middle of their couch. i want dave meltzer shouting, "sasha banks weave watch" with jazz hands

I didn't know I wanted this until you posted, and now it's all I've ever wanted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

The Austin/Taker angle on this week's retro Raw is breathtakingly stupid

"Why did Paul Bearer allow them to film this? This was a crime."
"Oh it was a tremendous crime!"

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Personally I'm really excited for more bad Undertaker segments, and there are a lot of them coming!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Turns out comparing Bray Wyatt to the Undertaker is actually good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's kinda of amazing how many lows The Undertaker gimmick was able to survive. Out of any top level guy the gimmick had way more of it's share than anybody else.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kinda of amazing how many lows The Undertaker gimmick was able to survive. Out of any top level guy the gimmick had way more of it's share than anybody else.

if you're some dipshit midwest kid, Undertaker was the scariest thing on saturday morning television. The charles manson-esque antics of Undertaker during the early part of the attitude era were pretty much keeping with the character. Also it helps the Taker lived the gimmick in a way that didn't get him arrested or shitfaced in rehab.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dave was very briefly on the 30 For 30 Podcast about UFC 1. Nothing new but they interviewed Shamrock, Gracie and other fighters in addition to Art Davie.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dave was very briefly on the 30 For 30 Podcast about UFC 1. Nothing new but they interviewed Shamrock, Gracie and other fighters in addition to Art Davie.

The pod dave did with uhhh Sherdog? About old UFCs was really really great a few years ago.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

coconono posted:

if you're some dipshit midwest kid, Undertaker was the scariest thing on saturday morning television. The charles manson-esque antics of Undertaker during the early part of the attitude era were pretty much keeping with the character. Also it helps the Taker lived the gimmick in a way that didn't get him arrested or shitfaced in rehab.

I was (and in many ways remain) a dipshit New Englander but I was really never scared of the Undertaker. Maybe it was because he turned babyface not long after I started watching, I dunno.

On the other hand, I used to get so scared I'd leave the room when Papa Shango came out. He made black goo come out of people! Seven year old me didn't need that poo poo!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/933623769230225408

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kind of the magic of wrestling. You can survive pretty much anything if you are: 1)fantastic as a performer; 2)and win all the time; 3) still place limits on what you will not do.

Like Bray and Kane are both jokes because they do stupid poo poo, but also lose all the time and allow their characters to do dumb poo poo. Kane has generally done stupid rear end poo poo Undertaker would never do (The Santino trombone dance, corporate slacks Kane). Bray dressed in drag, won via hologram, the house of horrors. But Undertaker could always fall back on loving murdering dudes, and not been chumped out on Vince's whim. I'm honestly kind of shocked we haven't had Bray shilling fast food.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wazzu posted:

It's kind of the magic of wrestling. You can survive pretty much anything if you are: 1)fantastic as a performer; 2)and win all the time; 3) still place limits on what you will not do.

Like Bray and Kane are both jokes because they do stupid poo poo, but also lose all the time and allow their characters to do dumb poo poo. Kane has generally done stupid rear end poo poo Undertaker would never do (The Santino trombone dance, corporate slacks Kane). Bray dressed in drag, won via hologram, the house of horrors. But Undertaker could always fall back on loving murdering dudes, and not been chumped out on Vince's whim. I'm honestly kind of shocked we haven't had Bray shilling fast food.

Bikertaker.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bikertaker was good, though. Freshened up his character a lot.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

gently caress Bikertaker ! ! !

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

you've done it now

you've gone and made a big mistake

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Randaconda posted:

Bikertaker was good, though. Freshened up his character a lot.

as someone who loves the biker taker/flair feud, i can't argue with this. It's super dated, and people have seen the rise and fall out of suburban biker worship, but poo poo like Monster Garage and Chopper Build Challenge were in the American mainstream culture. I also think Rollin' is the reason they scoff at Biker taker in hindsight, but I think that's people hiding from their teenage copy of Hot Dogs and Chocalate Starfish.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

as someone who loves the biker taker/flair feud, i can't argue with this. It's super dated, and people have seen the rise and fall out of suburban biker worship, but poo poo like Monster Garage and Chopper Build Challenge were in the American mainstream culture. I also think Rollin' is the reason they scoff at Biker taker in hindsight, but I think that's people hiding from their teenage copy of Hot Dogs and Chocalate Starfish.

Those things were all dumb and embarrassing back then, too.

I'm trying to come up with an example of current garbage that's "American mainstream" that's just as terrible. Maybe the way they keep integrating Twitter feuds onto the show?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hashtag Under... Siege - a fifty year old man says into a microphone with no hint of irony

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's really strange how Undertaker got the rep as an all-time worker considering how much loving garbage there is in his career

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He got real good at having great matches when he didn't have to work more than a half dozen times a year. And then he broke down so even that wasn't really enough.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's really strange how Undertaker got the rep as an all-time worker considering how much loving garbage there is in his career

Garbage tends to increase when you wait to retire at least 4 years after everyone realizes you're done

Hell, it can't be ruled out that he'll come back just because he thinks he's capable of having a better last match than that Reigns Mania one, so make it at least 5 years

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chris James 2 posted:

Garbage tends to increase when you wait to retire at least 4 years after everyone realizes you're done

Hell, it can't be ruled out that he'll come back just because he thinks he's capable of having a better last match than that Reigns Mania one, so make it at least 5 years

I'm not talking about the end of his career, I'm talking about like, huge chunks of what should have been his "prime" being total garbage in-ring.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

tbf it would be hard not to

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Taker's worst, ringwork-wise, in the 10s was far better than about 90% of what he did in the 90s and 00s.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Taker's worst, ringwork-wise, in the 10s was far better than about 90% of what he did in the 90s and 00s.

The SummerSlam and HIAC matches against Lesnar are easily in his career top-10.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That said, I'd also rather watch a Taker 90s/00s feud and matches than the vast majority of stuff that happened in that period.

I love that silly devil zombie wizard biker.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BikerTaker/HHH was the only great Taker/HHH match

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
New WOR can't come soon enough, I've resorted to listening to the Sempervive only WOLs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I enjoyed their Shotgun Saturday Night match where Taker tombstoned him at the top of the escalator and HHH rode it down to hell.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Per his podcast, Steve Austin doesn’t like War Games ‘92. Worst news all week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Taker was actually one of HHH's better opponents, HHH was always great at milking near-falls which you really need in a Taker match.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Taker was actually one of HHH's better opponents, HHH was always great at milking near-falls which you really need in a Taker match.

He got people to legit believe that he beat Taker with a tombstone at Wrestlemania of all places; on paper that spot never should have worked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

This stuff was all big in the culture but given the immense amount of money they spent on the character it flopped as Undertaker was nowhere near the draw during that period as he was before or after.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

MassRafTer posted:

This stuff was all big in the culture but given the immense amount of money they spent on the character it flopped as Undertaker was nowhere near the draw during that period as he was before or after.

Ah, that clears it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Ah, that clears it up.

At the same time it would have been almost impossible for him to be as hot as he was against Austin. Realistically it wasn't really possible for him to be the respected elder statesman either so it may not be fair to judge.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
You can split Bikertaker into two: his face debut run which was hot garbage, and his heel run where he was entertaining at least.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It seems weird but also fitting that Taker arguably has the best and the worst Mania matches of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It seems weird but also fitting that Taker arguably has the best and the worst Mania matches of all time

Also Bret Hart.