Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, there aren't a ton of breakthroughs on the immediate horizon that's going to jump the experience a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Smell-o-vision is gonna be huge in 2019.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HDMI 2.1 with eARC is probably the biggest thing coming next year but it’s more of a convenience feature since most of the improvements in 2.1 are for 8k and other stuff that’s not relevant now.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

qirex posted:

HDMI 2.1 with eARC is probably the biggest thing coming next year but it’s more of a convenience feature since most of the improvements in 2.1 are for 8k and other stuff that’s not relevant now.

4k 60hz plus 10 bit color depth without color subsampling is a major point for the desktop not possible with HDMI 2.0. This, and VRR for variable 60+Hz TVs should be far more attractive than the still useful eARC.

Personally just waiting for years of bad firmware in TVs and receivers not being compatible to eARC implementations going by.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Regarding digital audio output what it comes down to is that S/PDIF only has the raw bandwidth for stereo audio signals. 5.1 requires that the signal be re-encoded and compressed, this is where Dolby AC3 and DTS come in to play.

If the source signal is already in AC3 or DTS the TV can pass that signal straight through to the S/PDIF port. Not all do, some still strip it down to plain stereo, but most good TVs should support passthrough.

If you've been in to big screen PC gaming for a while you may remember back before HDMI there was a time where we had to use analog connections to get 5.1/7.1 out of our games on a PC, or later we had to buy certain very specific sound cards which included Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect encoders. The nVidia nForce chipset was famous partially for having this ability built in. This is for the same reason. Movies had a pre-encoded soundtrack which could be just sent out the S/PDIF port, but games were generating the audio in real time.

HDMI has shitloads of bandwidth compared to S/PDIF. It supports raw uncompressed 5.1, 7.1, and even beyond. A lot of source devices will now decode any advanced surround sound formats to plain raw format before sending it on because it eliminates compatibility issues with bitstreaming.

What this means though is that if your source is sending uncompressed 5.1 to your TV, the TV would need to have an encoder to send that out the S/PDIF port. That's extra cost for something only a small group of users would even potentially encounter, much less care about.

If you don't have any other choice and your TV does support passthrough, you'll just want to set up all the rest of your devices to bitstream the AC3 and/or DTS soundtracks rather than decoding on the device. Note that this will generally lose you menu sounds and such when playing movies, or in some annoying cases it can result in mode switches to stereo when something wants to mix audio.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Thanks... that was it. I did not realize Amazon made a separate series for UHD stuff.

That said, I cannot really tell the difference between HDR and non HDR. I was using the montage that is in the first episode of The Grand Tour at 7:30ish, and it's just a super colorful montage with different landscape and explosions and stuff. I could not tell watching them both back to back which one was HDR.

Make me wonder how much better a PS4 Pro will look on the thing

The LG has a pop-up to show that it is showing HDR stuff. Are you getting that?

If you don't have Netflix there is also a Dolby app in the LG store with a bunch of demo videos for HDR. You can try that to see if you are actually getting something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolrah posted:

Regarding digital audio output what it comes down to is that S/PDIF only has the raw bandwidth for stereo audio signals. 5.1 requires that the signal be re-encoded and compressed, this is where Dolby AC3 and DTS come in to play.

If the source signal is already in AC3 or DTS the TV can pass that signal straight through to the S/PDIF port. Not all do, some still strip it down to plain stereo, but most good TVs should support passthrough.

If you've been in to big screen PC gaming for a while you may remember back before HDMI there was a time where we had to use analog connections to get 5.1/7.1 out of our games on a PC, or later we had to buy certain very specific sound cards which included Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect encoders. The nVidia nForce chipset was famous partially for having this ability built in. This is for the same reason. Movies had a pre-encoded soundtrack which could be just sent out the S/PDIF port, but games were generating the audio in real time.

HDMI has shitloads of bandwidth compared to S/PDIF. It supports raw uncompressed 5.1, 7.1, and even beyond. A lot of source devices will now decode any advanced surround sound formats to plain raw format before sending it on because it eliminates compatibility issues with bitstreaming.

What this means though is that if your source is sending uncompressed 5.1 to your TV, the TV would need to have an encoder to send that out the S/PDIF port. That's extra cost for something only a small group of users would even potentially encounter, much less care about.

If you don't have any other choice and your TV does support passthrough, you'll just want to set up all the rest of your devices to bitstream the AC3 and/or DTS soundtracks rather than decoding on the device. Note that this will generally lose you menu sounds and such when playing movies, or in some annoying cases it can result in mode switches to stereo when something wants to mix audio.

Unless your input is DD True HD (which you would only get with blu-ray), there's no encoder needed. DD+ contains a core AC-3 track that's backward compatible with any device that does 5.1. So, no encoders are necessary.

The output issue is purely how they have it configured. LG's OLEDs can pass 5.1 to the optical under the correct circumstances, but it's highly dependent on the device you connect to it so it may as well not work. Basically, the HDMI handshake presents it as 2.0 capable due to it just understanding the internal speakers. If you can't force an audio output mode on our source, you only get 2.0. If you can, you can get 5.1.

For example, I can only get 2.0 output from a Chromecast connected directly to the TV, even with ARC, because I can't configure audio on the chromecast so it outputs 2 channel PCM. With a Roku, which I can force to output DD+ instead of auto and I can get 5.1 out of that connected directly to the TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have an LG TV and a bunch of devices connected to my receiver. Every time I turn on my TV and receiver, after like 10 seconds the 4K player turns on automatically and switches to that input. This is beyond annoying. Any idea how to disable this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreenNight posted:

I have an LG TV and a bunch of devices connected to my receiver. Every time I turn on my TV and receiver, after like 10 seconds the 4K player turns on automatically and switches to that input. This is beyond annoying. Any idea how to disable this?

Mess with the cec settings

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

On the TV? The receiver? There are no CEC settings on the 4K player. I have 5 other devices hooked up and nothing else turns on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sellouts posted:

what do you think is missing

Nothing, I'm just not in a rush to replace a working TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Unless your input is DD True HD (which you would only get with blu-ray), there's no encoder needed. DD+ contains a core AC-3 track that's backward compatible with any device that does 5.1. So, no encoders are necessary.
I was referring to how most devices just send PCM 5.1/7.1/whatever over HDMI rather than passing the Dolby or DTS source signal. If the TV's receiving PCM it doesn't matter what compatibility the original track may have had.

quote:

The output issue is purely how they have it configured. LG's OLEDs can pass 5.1 to the optical under the correct circumstances, but it's highly dependent on the device you connect to it so it may as well not work. Basically, the HDMI handshake presents it as 2.0 capable due to it just understanding the internal speakers. If you can't force an audio output mode on our source, you only get 2.0. If you can, you can get 5.1.

For example, I can only get 2.0 output from a Chromecast connected directly to the TV, even with ARC, because I can't configure audio on the chromecast so it outputs 2 channel PCM. With a Roku, which I can force to output DD+ instead of auto and I can get 5.1 out of that connected directly to the TV.
Hmm, that is an interesting problem. Now I'm kind of curious what my TVs claim support for.

edit: Just pulled the EDID from my 52LG60 via an attached Raspberry Pi and interestingly it is advertising only AC-3, not PCM of any sort. My Marantz SR7001 has 2 channel PCM, 8 channel PCM, DD, DTS, and one-bit (DVD-A IIRC?).

GreenNight posted:

On the TV? The receiver? There are no CEC settings on the 4K player. I have 5 other devices hooked up and nothing else turns on.
If only the player is misbehaving that's usually where you'd want to stop it. Some vendors rebrand CEC with their own naming, so check the manual for anything that implies remote control commands being passed over the HDMI wire.

If you can't change its settings there, see if your receiver has any options to block CEC traffic. Most don't but it's worth a shot. If not then you'll have to disable it at whichever device is generating the signal that causes the 4K player to decide it's time to wake up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 26, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolrah posted:

I was referring to how most devices just send PCM 5.1/7.1/whatever over HDMI rather than passing the Dolby or DTS source signal.

That's really not the norm though except for game consoles. Pretty much everything else bitstreams DD by default.

I got my X900E today for my gaming room I'm setting up. I'm not going to have a stand for it until I can swing by Ikea tomorrow so I can't really view it at a really good angle yet. So, I'm reserving picture quality judgments until I can do that and start dialing it in. It looks like it's going to make a fine gaming TV but man I think I was expecting LCD to have come just a little bit further in the last 4 years (my W900A was a 2013 TV).

It's probably going to be a ton better when I can view it at a more square angle, but the local dimming is a bit more apparent than my edge lit W900A. I have been so spoiled by OLED.

the X900E is still a fantastic TV for the price, don't get me wrong. You can't really do much better in LCD land for that price. OLED is just so drat good though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

That's really not the norm though except for game consoles. Pretty much everything else bitstreams DD by default.
That may be true. My device lineup is made up of game consoles, PCs, RPis (pretty much PCs from this standpoint), and streaming sticks.

That said, at this point I think that lineup might be the majority, with standalone disc players and especially cable boxes on the decline.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 27, 2017

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

I have been so spoiled by OLED.

OLED is just so drat good though.

Once you go true blacks, you never go backs

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say this though. If I could bolt that X1 motion processing engine to my C6, I would in a heartbeat. I love how you can throw whatever at a Sony TV and it will figure out how to play it back at the native frame cadence.

Hooked up one of my Tivo minis to it tonight and it does seem more forgiving to crappy compressed FiOS than my C6. Again though, I really need to get the rest of the room setup and the picture dialed in before getting the full judgement in. I might end up watching my DVR recordings on that TV and streaming and physical disc on my OLED. Most of what I watch now is streaming anyways.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bull3964 posted:

I will say this though. If I could bolt that X1 motion processing engine to my C6, I would in a heartbeat. I love how you can throw whatever at a Sony TV and it will figure out how to play it back at the native frame cadence.

Hooked up one of my Tivo minis to it tonight and it does seem more forgiving to crappy compressed FiOS than my C6. Again though, I really need to get the rest of the room setup and the picture dialed in before getting the full judgement in. I might end up watching my DVR recordings on that TV and streaming and physical disc on my OLED. Most of what I watch now is streaming anyways.

You can actually do that with the Sony A1E oled but it costs way too much money and it doesn't get as bright as the 2017 LG oleds.

Still handles motion stuff like a champ (as of october 2017 when they finally fixed judder in 60hz sources, etc)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But no 3d and the C6 3d is too beautiful for words.

Believe me, if the A1E had 3d, I probably would have figured out a way to sell off my C6 and get the A1E.

For now, the fact that Roku added native framerate pass-through keeps me ok for now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The LG has a pop-up to show that it is showing HDR stuff. Are you getting that?

If you don't have Netflix there is also a Dolby app in the LG store with a bunch of demo videos for HDR. You can try that to see if you are actually getting something.

I saw the pop up on the ultra HD version that said HDR. Using the Dolby app, I get the pop up that says Dolby Vision. And I see the difference on the Dolby app when it is on and off and switches between them. But on Amazon Video it looked identical to me between the Ultra HD version with the pop up notification and the one without. And that’s using the built in app now.

And I have Netflix, but sharing an account and they are not paying for the Ultra HD content.

Speaking of that pop up. Is there any way to disable the pop up? I have had it randomly pop up during Netflix and my DirecTV while watching HBO with the “Dolby Surround” notification. Twice during Curb and once during Stranger things. Quite annoying. In the middle of the shows too. DirecTV pops it on whenever I fast forward or resume from being paused

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

bull3964 posted:

That LG is pretty terrible. No Wide Color Gamut and can't get very bright at all (in other words, it might as well not have HDR). It has an IPS panel so while it has decent viewing angles, it's overall black level is poor and the uniformity is really poor.

lol I bought this TV for my inlaws because it was the right size to fit their television nook and because the price was right.

They think it's the greatest television they've ever seen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, in the right environment, almost any TV can look great :).

I'm trying to go through the mental gymnastics required for me to justify replacing my ancient 10 year old bedroom TV (40" Samsung LN-S4095D) with the 49" X900E. Since the bezels are so much smaller, it's actually only 4 inches wider than the older TV and it's a full 20lbs lighter.

My prevailing thought is that if I had a better TV in my bedroom it might get me to go to bed earlier since I would have a nicer TV in there. It's a pretty weak justification for wanting to spend $900 though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

bull3964 posted:

Heh, in the right environment, almost any TV can look great :).

I'm trying to go through the mental gymnastics required for me to justify replacing my ancient 10 year old bedroom TV (40" Samsung LN-S4095D) with the 49" X900E. Since the bezels are so much smaller, it's actually only 4 inches wider than the older TV and it's a full 20lbs lighter.

My prevailing thought is that if I had a better TV in my bedroom it might get me to go to bed earlier since I would have a nicer TV in there. It's a pretty weak justification for wanting to spend $900 though.

The X900E looks gorgeous! Definitely the TV I would have gotten in that size for my own home - turns out despite being a professional photographer my FIL just doesn't care that much about PQ on his televisions? (the prior screen I took off the wall was like a 720p 40" Sony on which he mostly watched non-HD cable) :iiam:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Any particularly good soundbar/speaker deals today, or recommendations in general in various price ranges? I glossed over the last few pages of the home theater thread and it seems kinda circlejerky about used stuff and honestly I don't give enough of a poo poo to hunt through Craigslist for something that isn't modern and brainless to set up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The X900E looks gorgeous! Definitely the TV I would have gotten in that size for my own home - turns out despite being a professional photographer my FIL just doesn't care that much about PQ on his televisions? (the prior screen I took off the wall was like a 720p 40" Sony on which he mostly watched non-HD cable) :iiam:

Well, I just took delivery on the 65" version of the x900e for my gaming room yesterday, so I'm familiar with the tv :).

That was already a luxury purchase, I'm trying to decide if I want to make one more.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what’s the word on 4k blu ray players that are Dolby Vision compatible/ready? Does it look like there’s anything on the horizon, or should I just get the Sony X800 while it’s still on sale?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Afaik, there are only 3 total and two of them either haven't had their firmware update released or had it released and pulled.

Basically, the Oppo is the only choice for DV playback right at this moment.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I purchased the LG B7A OLED television last weekend and spent a great deal of time working on the settings. I used the configuration that CNET's reviewer posted on their forums for my model. Now I just need to purchase a PS4 PRO. I do not think I am going to get an APPLE TV4K as the built-in apps seem to fill that need.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JackDarko posted:

Now I just need to purchase a PS4 PRO.

$50 off at GameStop for a few more hours

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The supply for that 55" Vizio M-series in my area got fuckin nuked by Black Friday. The closest Best Buy that will even offer in-store pickup is like 70 miles away, and delivery to my zip code on that SKU is just listed as "unavailable".

Hopefully it'll bounce back in like 3 weeks when I have my TV-buyin' money together.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

JackDarko posted:

I purchased the LG B7A OLED television last weekend and spent a great deal of time working on the settings. I used the configuration that CNET's reviewer posted on their forums for my model. Now I just need to purchase a PS4 PRO. I do not think I am going to get an APPLE TV4K as the built-in apps seem to fill that need.

If you are adjusting white balance controls and poo poo based on an internet post you should revert them to normal.

The standard ISF dark or light presets is reference greyscale on most lg oled tv's.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rastor posted:

$50 off at GameStop for a few more hours

Even better, go to Office Depot today and buy 4 $100 Gamestop gift cards for $80 each (the only limit is 1 per transaction). Save an additional ~$60 over the $50 it's on sale today, and have about $20 left on a gift card. Sweet freaking deal.

(Also Gamestop sells Amazon gift cards, so if yours is sold out you can just flip the credit for Amazon and get one there instead.)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Don Lapre posted:

If you are adjusting white balance controls and poo poo based on an internet post you should revert them to normal.

The standard ISF dark or light presets is reference greyscale on most lg oled tv's.

Well poo poo, I wholeheartedly admit to being very new at this. I will definitely try that out. Thank you for the PS4 PRO tips!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

JackDarko posted:

Well poo poo, I wholeheartedly admit to being very new at this. I will definitely try that out. Thank you for the PS4 PRO tips!

Yea, keep in mind every tv calibrates differently. You cant just copy settings off a website with any real idea if you are making the tv more or less accurate.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I spent last night doing literally the same thing (but a different website) with the same TV so don't feel bad. Bonus points if you kept saying 'I think it looks better?' to your very patient wife over the noise of the Netflix test image.

I just reset everything back to ISF Dark and hey it still looks pretty nice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Couple of notes directly from LG

Turn edge enhancer 'ON'

Set 'Dynamic Contrast’ setting in the Expert Picture Mode Settings to ‘Low’

You will have to do this on each picture mode you use on each input separately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Turn edge enhancer 'ON'

There is an Apply to All Inputs setting you can pick when you're done.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don Lapre posted:

Turn edge enhancer 'ON'

Huh, I think I turned all of these off out of instinct (or failure to see any difference when I turned them on). If that's the go to though, I'll flip em back tonight. How about Super Resolution? I definitely didn't notice any difference with that in my tests, but maybe it affects some things more than others. I just found the guy on AVS who does professional calibrations on LGs has his personal set to Low (apparently higher causes artifacting, but it's generally supposed to bring in more detail so hey.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Huh, I think I turned all of these off out of instinct (or failure to see any difference when I turned them on). If that's the go to though, I'll flip em back tonight. How about Super Resolution? I definitely didn't notice any difference with that in my tests, but maybe it affects some things more than others. I just found the guy on AVS who does professional calibrations on LGs has his personal set to Low (apparently higher causes artifacting, but it's generally supposed to bring in more detail so hey.

Dont know about super resolution. Those 2 settings are in the LG professional calibration guide.

Nothing else applies to the user unless they have metering equipment but those two things should be set appropriately

http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/Calibration%20Notes%20for%202017%20LG%20OLED%20TVs.pdf

Dynamic contrast allows hdr10 contact to be dynamic (closer to dolby vision)

edge enhancer i dunno but they say to leave it on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, I'll give that a look over. I'm welllll beyond my 'spend more time adjusting than watching' phase as I've had the TV for so long but it can't hurt.

Something I've meant to ask other LG people for a while - does your TVs drop the internet connection on WiFi regularly, and for no reason? I'll get pissy something isn't working, just to remember to go into the menu because it's dropped, and as soon as I go into the network scan it finds the network without issue and rejoins it. I don't use the Smart App stuff every day (every few days I'll try something?) and it's usually after no movement for a while. Bit odd, that's all. This is a 2015 OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that dynamic contrast thing only applies to the 2017 models since the have active HDR for HDR 10. The settings aren't valid for prior model years.