Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I've made fun of the quick and hurried editing sometimes in the past but I liked the cut right into the fight this time.

"Mister Terrific you guys get the two on the left, we will take the two on the right. Go."
*Cut*
*Diggle already beaten up and getting his crossbow slapped out of his hand*

I mean it's obvious what happened but before that he was doing handstands and talking about how amazing he felt then there is just a hard cut to him halfway through getting his rear end kicked. It would probably have seemed a little less odd if you had a one second shot of him trying to use his arm and looking surprised that it failed or something.

It really reminded me of the

"Overwatch what do we know"
"He is probably using some kind of warehouse as a base"
*Instantaneous cut to team Arrow apparently standing in the middle of the badguy's warehouse*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Couldn't Lyla call up the FBI (or hell, the President, as the show has occasionally implied) and tell them to back off Oliver?

Its baffling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not. Officially anyway. She could call in favors probably but that would just make Ollie look more guilty.

ARGUS is like Homeland Security or something, they wouldn't have authority over the FBI.

And as we learned recently the president can't just tell the FBI what to do either.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Did anyone notice Rene calling Felicity Hauss-ette over the comms? I had to chuckle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bbf2 posted:

I think I missed something

When Oliver first visits Diggle at the hospital Diggle explains that Curtis's magic science injection thing they used on Felicity's spine didn't work well enough and that Diggle has permanent damage and if he ends up going out in the field again he could end up permanently paralyzed.

But then at the end Oliver goes to him and says "Well I'll fill in as the Arrow again for the next couple weeks but I'm only doing it for a short time until YOU get better and get back out there as the TRUE Green Arrow!"

I'm assuming that there must have missed a scene I missed where Curtis said that he reconfigured the magic science medical doohickey and that now it can solve all of Diggle's problems.

The permanent damage didn't have anything to do with Curtis' device, it was from when he was running around on super steroids and how they masked the damage instead of fixing anything. So if they got Curtis' device to work correctly it probably could fix all Dig's problems.

Other than that, the cut to an actual Billy Joel concert was super weird.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

The permanent damage didn't have anything to do with Curtis' device, it was from when he was running around on super steroids and how they masked the damage instead of fixing anything.

user name, post, etc.

So one thing took me completely out of this episode, and it's probably me misunderstanding law, but jesus christ if not it's a huge gently caress up. After arraignment was done, if Ollie's attorney didn't immediately request and receive their Super Secret Extra Special Evidence, they are either the most incompetent defense attorney in the world or this suit should be declared a mistrial fast enough to cause a sonic boom. There is not such thing as ~secret evidence~. You have to turn that poo poo over on request. Between that and the amount of Bullshit CW Drama ramping up exponentially, I'm guessing this season will be firmly lodged inside a dumpster fire by the end.

At least Thea's back though :3:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

muscles like this! posted:

Other than that, the cut to an actual Billy Joel concert was super weird.

I told my wife about that and her reaction was, “Is he still a thing? Or is he a thing again?”

Seriously, why Billy Joel? Is he an outspoken fan of the CW DC shows or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I told my wife about that and her reaction was, “Is he still a thing? Or is he a thing again?”

Seriously, why Billy Joel? Is he an outspoken fan of the CW DC shows or something?

Guggenheim is a big Billy Joel fan. He said they used him as a placeholder name during the scripting, then decided to go ahead and ask him for permission to use his song and concert footage in the final episode, and he said yes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Here's another thing: Why didn't the police issue a statement saying "we have no idea who those people dressed as police officers were and we are currently attempting to identify them"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugged me about the episode is that the loving mayor of a city who has been cooperating with the investigation doesn't get arrested in public and perp walked to the police station. It really shouldn't matter what kind of evidence they have, everything is tainted by the fact that there was already an attempt to "frame" Oliver with that doctored photo.

Edit: This episode really felt like they were kind of rushed for time and had to get some pieces in place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Here's another thing: Why didn't the police issue a statement saying "we have no idea who those people dressed as police officers were and we are currently attempting to identify them"?

They seemed to only find out about the footage when the vote was already mostly in, so it wouldn't have helped I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

They seemed to only find out about the footage when the vote was already mostly in, so it wouldn't have helped I guess.
Wasn't it the footage being broadcast that made people vote against vigilantes? And wouldn't the TV stations have got that footage and immediately contacted the police to find out who the officers were and thereby found out that they weren't actually police?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Wasn't it the footage being broadcast that made people vote against vigilantes? And wouldn't the TV stations have got that footage and immediately contacted the police to find out who the officers were and thereby found out that they weren't actually police?

All they said in dialogue is it was on social media.

In the world of 24 hour news it would be on TV but they don't seem to have CNN in the Arrowverse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

All they said in dialogue is it was on social media.

In the world of 24 hour news it would be on TV but they don't seem to have CNN in the Arrowverse.

Which is odd, because you'd think they'd be allowed to use CNN's name and graphics, seeing as how both it and the CW are owned by Time Warner...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The public arrest seemed designed to embarrass and enrage Oliver. Its what made the FBI agent seem to go from "doing her job" to "villain" in my head especially when she then taunted Oliver about his kid at the end of the episode. She could have arrested Oliver quietly, but she choose to do it in the most public way possible, on a holiday, in front of live news cameras and a press pool, and when he was with his kid. It gave me the vibe that shes part of the bigger thing with Cayden and the video.

The video seemed to get released while the vote was happening and designed to fall into the slot where you hear something and don't go do research or find out the truth. CNN may get verification that those weren't real cops but it will come in the latter part of the day at best after people have already voted.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

user name, post, etc.

So one thing took me completely out of this episode, and it's probably me misunderstanding law, but jesus christ if not it's a huge gently caress up. After arraignment was done, if Ollie's attorney didn't immediately request and receive their Super Secret Extra Special Evidence, they are either the most incompetent defense attorney in the world or this suit should be declared a mistrial fast enough to cause a sonic boom. There is not such thing as ~secret evidence~. You have to turn that poo poo over on request. Between that and the amount of Bullshit CW Drama ramping up exponentially, I'm guessing this season will be firmly lodged inside a dumpster fire by the end.

At least Thea's back though :3:

Things the Arrow writers don't understand: business, the internet, the law

Still better than Flash writers though :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phylodox posted:

Billy Joel is awesome. My first Concert was a Billy Joel Concert in 2008 when he came out to Australia. I paid $350 and ended up about 10 feet away from him. I was 19 at the time and there were a ton of other young people in the audience so he's still popular.

It's probably still the best concert I've been to, though Cat Stevens and Neil Diamond came close. On the other hand Springsteen was really disappointing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

STAC Goat posted:

The public arrest seemed designed to embarrass and enrage Oliver. Its what made the FBI agent seem to go from "doing her job" to "villain" in my head especially when she then taunted Oliver about his kid at the end of the episode. She could have arrested Oliver quietly, but she choose to do it in the most public way possible, on a holiday, in front of live news cameras and a press pool, and when he was with his kid. It gave me the vibe that shes part of the bigger thing with Cayden and the video.

I hope so, because maybe that particular character will stop being so awful in all regards. Bad writing, terrible performance. (especially from Sydelle Noel, a very good actress; see GLOW)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Like, there's sticking to your principles, but then there's just recklessly endangering thousands of lives for no other reason than sheer stubbornness so she can prove she's right for her own egotism. Holy poo poo.

On the other hand, Ollie both metaphorically and legally owns this town at this point. He should just go legit. Announce he's opening up a new devision of the police force, led by himself, Lieutenant Dinah Drake, assistant to the mayor Rene Ramirez, with technical and financial support from Curtis Holt and Felicity Smoak's new enterprise, Helix. Say "gently caress it" and run Star City as a super-hero police state.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Meanwhile, when the Legends writers don't understand things, it's a feature, not a bug :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like plotting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When has she endangered people's lives?

I didn't have a huge problem with her up to this episode. She was hostile but if I looked at it from her perspective I had no problem with that. Not only is she dealing with murdering vigilantes who work outside the law but it involves corruption of the Mayor's office and the police force. Green Arrow has killed people, including cops and DAs, covered up crimes, has ties to the Russian mob, and god knows what else including the fact that she recognizes that he's also the serial killing Hood. It makes total sense for her to be intensely interested in bringing him down and ending this corruption and terror and having zero sympathy or humor for him or his team.

But her actions this past episode - especially as it relates to William - were just petty and malicious. And they make more sense if they were political and strategic because she's part of a bigger conspiracy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think Marc Guggenheim was a lawyer for something like 10 years before he became a professional writer. :shrug:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm just enjoying having Harold Finch back on TV.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My wife and I both came away with the impression based on her last little speech that the FBI agent is playing some long con to convince Ollie to public announce that he's the Green Arrow and be a true public hero, rather than a shadowy vigilante.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Klungar posted:

My wife and I both came away with the impression based on her last little speech that the FBI agent is playing some long con to convince Ollie to public announce that he's the Green Arrow and be a true public hero, rather than a shadowy vigilante.

That was actually the impression I got from that last conversation as well.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So what's FBI Agent's opinion on the Flash, the meta-slayer?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

ApeHawk posted:

So what's FBI Agent's opinion on the Flash, the meta-slayer?

I'm curious what Agent Watson's opinion will be after Heroes vs Nazis.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why did the FBI guy make such a big deal about not telling Ollie's lawyer what their new evidence that he was the Arrow was? Discovery comes right after arraignment, wouldn't the first thing he did when he got back to the office be preparing that evidence to send to Ollie's lawyer anyway?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why did the FBI guy make such a big deal about not telling Ollie's lawyer what their new evidence that he was the Arrow was? Discovery comes right after arraignment, wouldn't the first thing he did when he got back to the office be preparing that evidence to send to Ollie's lawyer anyway?

No, in Star City, there's a rule on the books where if you have super secret special evidence that will make for a really good twist when you lay it on the defendant out of nowhere, you're allowed to hold onto it until a good moment right before a commercial.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

No, in Star City, there's a rule on the books where if you have super secret special evidence that will make for a really good twist when you lay it on the defendant out of nowhere, you're allowed to hold onto it until a good moment right before a commercial.

Ahh yes, the Miles Edgeworth Statute.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

ShakeZula posted:

That was actually the impression I got from that last conversation as well.

I actually thought he was going to straight up say, "gently caress it. You know what? I am the Green Arrow." Iron Man style but I don't know how you do that right before the crossover and have any sort of cohesive narrative.

Episode was good but I will echo the thoughts about the FBI lady. Also once again the fight scenes are nearly incomprehensible with the lighting. Everyone wearing black or near-black does not help in the dark.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sir Potato posted:

I actually thought he was going to straight up say, "gently caress it. You know what? I am the Green Arrow." Iron Man style but I don't know how you do that right before the crossover and have any sort of cohesive narrative.

I think they're kind of heading in that direction eventually, but that's more something for a season ending arc, probably. It wouldn't surprise me if they did some kind of Batman Inc. type thing were Ollie comes out and goes "Yeah, I'm the Green Arrow. I'm also starting up my own super hero PMC, so if you want to come at me or any of my friends or family, good luck fuckers, because I'm a billionaire and I have a literal legion of super heroes I can sic on you."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

OH poo poo THEY BROUGHT BACK TOMMY :neckbeard:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy poo poo, the Earth-X Prometheus reveal :stare:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Welp, RIP nazi-Tommy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

that was the "we can only afford Colin for five minutes of exposition" type of cameo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

that was the "we can only afford Colin for five minutes of exposition" type of cameo

He's gotta get back to Chicago :v:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This is peak Arrow right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Why is the Waverider in the Stone Age?