Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I thought AVs were supposed to be SFW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

On a related note - if they implement boob plate and size sliders, they darn well better implement the same thing for codpieces.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

peter gabriel posted:

Look you FUD spreading PIECE OF poo poo they are not selling land they are selling plots, and these are not plots of land, OK?

You lost the plot again?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like it will be a good Christmas at the Lowtax estate.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

This is from pages ago, but what the gently caress. This is literally the type of work you would expect to give to newish QA folk, either at a 3rd party or working for CIG directly. This is CIG shilling for free labor, like unpaid QA interns or something. How loving stupid do you have to be to donate your time for this? The company has taken 160+ million in free make believe funding and they still can't pay QA? Jesus christ i'm completely bias because I do work in QA, but this just makes me angry as poo poo.

Anyone doing this level of regression testing for free is a loving moron, and CIG should be ashamed of themselves. (hah)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

fargom posted:

This is from pages ago, but what the gently caress. This is literally the type of work you would expect to give to newish QA folk, either at a 3rd party or working for CIG directly. This is CIG shilling for free labor, like unpaid QA interns or something. How loving stupid do you have to be to donate your time for this? The company has taken 160+ million in free make believe funding and they still can't pay QA? Jesus christ i'm completely bias because I do work in QA, but this just makes me angry as poo poo.

Anyone doing this level of regression testing for free is a loving moron, and CIG should be ashamed of themselves. (hah)

It's even more funny/rage inducing when you realize that they have customers paying extra to do this work for them.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Codezombie posted:

Single 500m square tile from the system, its designed to draw a few thousand of these.
Posting from the past, but I wrote a city generator too!

Wanna compare notes sometimes?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Golli posted:

On a related note - if they implement boob plate and size sliders, they darn well better implement the same thing for codpieces.

SliderHardRight4Lyfe

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

:bisonyes:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

It's even more funny/rage inducing when you realize that they have customers paying extra to do this work for them.

Needed more underline.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

gently caress it. I laughed.

...but I'm still not buying your schtick. You're a loving broken-brained hypocrite who has just now discovered where the cool kids hang out. And if someone hadn't paid 10 bux so we could laugh at you, my guess is you'd still be peddling your bullshit to the clowns in your lovely YT channel.

So go gently caress yourself.

Nah he's cool

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

more drunk chipmunks going off again? I hope not.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I see Derek has taken up a sniping position from the book suppository

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

The overall problem I have is that we got this far down the pike without a major expose because there's literal fear out there post the event that we do not speak of that was never about integrity in journalism, and the relatively small poles of cash that allow the outfits to pay their guys. More simply, we're heading towards a system of patronage that libertarians love until they realize that they're not the ones patronizing.

‘‘Twas ever so, I fear. At least in Games Journalism.

Games journos were hardly bolder a generation back. After all, the scuttlebutt in the gaming community was abuzz with stories about the chaos at Ion Storm and the games journalists of the day were very well aware of them. But the first blow landed against the dumpster fire that was Daikatana came from the local alternative press. These gaming stories that must be told but can’t be told tend to just become open secrets yet there are far fewer incentives to disrupt them than to ignore them, and incentives to amplify a trouble studio’s hype are not hard to find and easy to accept.

Still, the Kotaku UK piece hit more than hard enough, dug deeper than anyone else had, and gave a snapshot anyone with a cursory knowledge of studio culture, development best practices or project management would see for the five alarm fire it was and is. It wasn’t Kotaku UK’s job to land a killing blow, just paint a well-informed portrait of the company, it’s history, it’s struggles and customers. I personally appreciated so very much that they took the high road, avoided harsh editorializing and let the sound bites of developers, contractors l, ex-employees and Chris speak for themselves. And they get bonus points for buying the Level Magazine story about the long running feud between Derek and Chris. That too was great journalism and that Kotaku UK paid to run a translated version was a rare event and indeed a fortuitous or that very nearly didn’t happen.

I digress. I certainly share your pessimism about the state of things, Hav.!Maybe I just think they’ve been rotten for a lot longer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here is the anatomically correct stuff, just one of them. So it was not Chris Roberts that said it.

https://youtu.be/PbTQWmXFuM0

Go to 23:33

Enjoy! :tipshat:

I seem to recall there being another thing about this as well, but I can’t bother to find it.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

fargom posted:

Its technically illegal. You aren't allowed to have unpaid volunteers do work an actual employee would do in a for profit business. But its one of those things where it has to be super blatant and people complain (interns) etc so nothing will likely come of this.

Ex: Corporation running a charity event? Legal, you wouldn't usually hire employees to do that. For profit hospital has volunteer candy stripers come in to cheer patients up? Legal.

Interns doing all the auditing for the TPS reports? Illegal. But someone has to complain and bring it to people's attention. And it has to be a systemic practice, like if the interns didn't do it, they'd have to hire staff to do it to keep the company operating.

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 29, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dark Off posted:

You should check discord sometimes you have lot of catching up to do.
Also we are missing those long effort posts you do.

I am going to! Both get back in to the discord soon and effort post (as schedules permit.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Warlord sighed as he drew his Amex credit card and purchased a new av.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

fargom posted:

"Any new bugs?"

"Yes, about 600 filed yesterday. That puts us at 3892 new defects that need triage. Most of them are dups with no repro steps. I don't have time to triage them all, my team needs to focus on our backlog of Mobiglass bugs."
"Me neither, heads down fixing crashes related to physics grid."
"Same, we're still trying to make doors not float away."
"Same here, my team is busy trying to figure out why you clip through everything."
"Yeah, my guys are doing an Argon balancing pass."

"Ok. I guess we'll just schedule another one of these for next week and hope for the best."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

How many environment artists does CIG have now?

This is the best question, that CIG never answers. If they think their game is so pretty and so complete why are most screenshots “half real, half photoshop”?

Just... screenshot your game, guys! It’s been 6 years... time to stop lying to everybody maybe for your marketing campaign???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

SliderHardRight4Lyfe

hi seraph

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The Titanic posted:

This is the best question, that CIG never answers. If they think their game is so pretty and so complete why are most screenshots “half real, half photoshop”?

Just... screenshot your game, guys! It’s been 6 years... time to stop lying to everybody maybe for your marketing campaign???

How about you just shut the gently caress up and pay $650 for that photoshop huh? Games take time and you don't understand games.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

1500 posted:

Well the Hellblade video never showed the woman naked, just the 3d model, while the SC video made sure to show that the woman was naked but never showed the 3d model.

Star Citizen: A short film about nerds 3d rendering a young womans balloon knot.

(Posting from many pages back, hoping to one day catch up and bask in glory)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

Unless you were around since very early watching this stuff, things get forgotten quickly.

The sleaziness from Star Citizen is now mostly gone, in favor of family friendly money grabs. Dick Wulf is not around much even. CIG definitely isn’t going to mention it, and their forum of it all was erased anyhow so the records are gone, and they don’t even have a forum anymore anyway.

All of their social media is basically just “game is a whole realistic universe bigger than anything ever and it all works right now! Look how pretty it is!” Everything is just about selling stuff, and the human factor they once had is a couple of years dead.

CIG transformed from a glorious social joke gone horribly wrong, to a cold and mostly spiritless digital goods selling machine. Sandi got shown up by Beer4TheBeerGod in an email confrontation and her image of herself as the smartest person in the room got shattered, and since then CIG slowly backed away from being a socially interactive company. It’s significantly less funny for us since they effectively stopped trying to personify everything they did, but that’s just how the cookie crumbles.

The LGBT thread on the RSI forums of yore was horrific. People would come in and say that being queer was tantamount to dog-loving and then the Ben-backed RSI mods would come into the thread and say things like "Please stop reporting posts so much or we're going to remove this thread entirely!"

The only large group of people on the RSI forums that seemed to cry foul were the goons. CIG is Klasy to its core.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

Has Joe Blobber posted a july blog defending the land sale yet?

Rinse and repeat.

Bonus:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's really a lackluster defense from Joe, just c&p and not responding to every post with his list of derek smart alts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205313623?t=10m41s

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

alphabettitouretti posted:

That Crobber plays Star Citizen video but it's an editing suite.

Were you there when he left DA? What happened with that?

I was there when Microsoft came in, had the meetings him, and he left without a word to anyone who had busted their rear end or cruched on all his projects/films. We just didn’t see him anymore. He had gone back to his mansion to enjoy his riches, as we learned he had gotten a check for a cool 2mil from Microsoft to walk away.

Then the Microsoft doofs started to arrive onsite to take over, and most of us walked away to better jobs, better pay, and better direction.

There’s quite a few nasty things went on in that company, but they are best left in the past, as our resident warlord would tweet them until his beak fell off if they ever came out. And being sued is not my thing lol. I don’t need Moma staring me down from the otherside of his belted up lawyer suit

Mne nravitsya fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

reddit posted:

The Star Citizen community has lost it's way
I'm writing this as a last ditch effort to reach out to the Star Citizen community and see if there is anyone left who believes in the original dream that I bought into when Star Citizen was first announced.
I grew up in an era of truly great games. What made these games so special is that it was never about money, it was always about the worlds that they transported me to.

When Chris first revealed the Star Citizen Project I had those same goosebumps. Finally... someone who gets it. Someone who knows what we - those gamers who lived for flight/space sims - really have been looking for. He said all the right things, and from watching the video, I have a hard time believing that his heart wasn't in the right place. It probably was.

But somewhere along the way, that original dream, those original goosebumps have been replaced with something else. I'd like to believe that i'm not the only one who can sense that something is truly wrong with this project, but are having trouble putting our fingers on exactly what the problem is.
It doesn't help that the hype train keeps building more and more steam as time has gone on as feature creep has turned into feature explosion over the past 4 years.

But something else is wrong - the simplicity of what made space sims great, of what makes any game great, has been lost, somewhere in the confusing web that is concept sales, voyager direct, broken promises, and broken alpha releases. And yet people continue to praise CIG for focusing their complete attention on things that bring in cash, not on the game that we all originally wanted.
If you ask me, even though i'm not a game developer, i'd argue that they've backed themselves into a corner, and the community seems blind to it, and worse yet, seems content to reward them for it while shutting out all dissenting viewpoints. They've built up so much development debt through concept sales and feature explosion that it's objectively unlikely this project will reach fulfillment - yet the focus still is solely on money.

It's all the community seems to talk about - money. Concept sales, give them more so they can expand the game more, look at how amazing this [arbitrary feature] is! The manic hype surrounding this project, fueled directly by CIG's marketing, has turned a group of avid space sims and lovers of game-play into a sour group of toxic apologists.
But I digress...

See, I don't want Star Citizen to fail... quite the opposite. I want it to succeed. But I'm worried that my definition of success doesn't fit CIG, and by extension, the community as a whole anymore. Success seems to be now "most ambitious game ever in history" rather than just... a drat solid space sim, maybe even with MMO or Coop elements.

At the end of the day, as someone who has spent years deeply invested in the idea, I have become deeply disillusioned by the whole thing over the past ~12 months. The idea I (and i'd like to believe others) bought into seems to have vanished and seems unlikely to come back anytime soon.

I was ok with development taking a long time, I was ok with the process, and I was ok with crowdfunding the project. What i'm not ok with, is the gradual transition from crowdfunding to micro-transaction funding - it's a disgrace to the community who supported the idea, and a butchering of what this game was supposed to be all about.

From what essentially amounted to pre-purchasing the game to fund development, has turned into a complete firesale of each and every concept/ship/item in the game, no matter how many years into the future the actual release of said concept gets pushed.

PC gaming was never dead, and Star Citizen was never going to save anything. But Star Citizen was a throwback to something great, and i'm afraid that what made Star Citizen great is now gone.
:laugh:

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I know it's silly to analyze imaginary game mechanics, but isn't one of the features of the Pioneer ship that it can survey land and detect areas that are rich in resources? So even though there are supposedly millions of kilometers of land available, some of it will be much more valuable than the rest, and you can be sure that the players/orgs who shelled out cash for Pioneers and land claim sticks will gobble up all the high value land as fast as possible. Then they will be rewarded with tons of credits from these resource-rich plots of land, helping to snowball the initial advantage they gained from spending money on ships and land. Almost sounds like pay-to-win!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've commented in the past that every time CIG had a marketing disaster the citizens reacted in a predictable cycle. That cycle is going on around us right now. So let's get out our finest nature documentary gear, don some thick protective gloves, and take this wonderful opportunity to study firsthand the Five Stages of a CIG Marketing Fuckup.

You can break it down roughly into five stages as follows:

Stage 1: CIG makes a boo-boo. Chris throws a tantrum when his own game crashes, a demo goes wrong, the wheels come off on the ramp, they've started selling land plots, whatever it is. It's deeply embarrassing and directly contradicts the narrative the Citizens wrap themselves in as a safety blanket.

Stage 2: Suddenly the rug is yanked out from under the Citizenry's delusions and they're confronted with the reality that they've sunk thousands of dollars into a disaster. They panic, and when the citizenry panics it freezes up as it tries to process (and justify away) whatever they're seeing. Star...Citizen...bad? But but but nooooooo.

So we get a period of silence from the hardcore backers, usually a day or two but sometimes as long as week, as they struggle to come to terms with their situation. Into the silence emerge, blinking, a whole variety of less-crazy citizens who are usually lost in the glare, kept cowed by the threats and sheer volume of their nastier cousins. People who'd been shouted down in the past take advantage of the shocked paralysis to actually speak about their fears for the project in public for the first time. They can be surprisingly erudite and well-thought-out.

Some of those people, hearing the words coming out of their own mouths, realise they've been had and go on to demand refunds. More, perhaps too scared of the "refunder" label, quietly disappear and write off their investment. Others hesitate, knowing the backlash will come or fearing that if they do cross the wire the goons on the other side will mock them or seek revenge for past slights.

This phase lasts until the citizens can construct a reassuring narrative in their heads that doesn't hurt so much to think about. CIG know this, which is why after a day or two we always see...

Stage 3: CIG releases a sanitised version of whatever has scared the citizens. A livestream with the cringeworthy bits cropped out. "It's not really selling land". See, it didn't happen the way you were afraid it did, it actually happened like this. This is a nice safe version you can tell yourself is the real one. A kernel for the new Citizen narrative to form around.

Then the cry goes up and we're on to Stage 4, THE PURGE. Buoyed by the new narrative and happy to embrace their worldview once again, the citizens regain confidence. They haven't forgotten the pain of that horrible period when CIG's incompetence yanked the rug out from under them, oh no, but they have enough confidence now to silence any painful introspection. And they're angry.

So it's purge time. All you filthy critics, you refunders, you people who made us think scary and painful thoughts that we want to assign to outsiders instead of CIG...you're going down hard.

The citizens go berserk. Boldly defy THE SMART and His Dark Works! Seek out the enemy within! Scour the apostates from the halls of the faithful! All their pent-up venom is unleashed on any poor souls who voiced criticism and don't get out of the way in time. Anything and everything is used as tool to vent the citizens' anger - past post history, old grudges, being on the wrong side of innocuous debates about flight physics three years ago, showing a flash of heresy, the existence of one of the other Hated Subreddits. All must either display their loyalty or be purged.

One of the sad forces fuelling the loop is that sometimes abused becomes abuser; someone who felt the wrath of the citizens in the last cycle gleefully joins in the next, in self-defence and to vent their own anger at their past treatment.

Lastly comes Stage 5: Project, Project, Project.

Y'see one of the dirty secrets of the citizenry is that they're not entirely terrible people. Some part of them is quite aware their behaviour is disturbing and cultish. But their greater investment in their self-image as Good Citizens drives them to suppress it. So after the initial outburst of rage comes a period of guilt and vulnerability, which a good citizen deals with by projecting it onto the enemy as hard as they can. I talked about how SC's problems as a game get projected onto Elite and LOD; this period is when the citizens deal with their problems as human beings.

They raged? No, goons rage. That dancing cat is full of rage and anger (this is literally how that running joke got started). They shilled? No, Smart shills, with his thousands of shilling shills in every shadow. They hounded enemies from the subreddit? No, goons did that. Filthy goons, driving people from their safe spaces with their trolling and hate. Chris openly laughed and talked about how easy it is to sell JPGs? Well Derek sells JPGs all the time from his JPG truck which he doesn't own because it was repossessed last week when his wife divorced him and also we don't doxx, Derek doxxes.

This phase is when the choicest and most ridiculous conspiracy theories form, to repair the citizenry's damaged self-image and explain away whatever excesses they need to excuse. Then everything returns to normal and the citizens can go about their business, refreshed and ready and ever-vigilant.

The citizenry don't always process each stage neatly. Individual citizens can be at one phase while others have moved on, or are still stuck in phase 2. Right now we've seen an unusual double-disaster (3.0 followed by land sales) and the amusing result is collisions between citizens who are at different points.

Let's take a worked example - Fandred trying to out jester86 as a goon spy.

Consider that from Fandred's POV. He's already smarting from his rejection from the refunds subreddit, is largely considered a joke verging on an apostate by the citizenry, and he wants attention. At the same time like any good citizen he distrusts the grey market as something that shouldn't be needed because the citizenry should be Buying More Ships from Glorious CIG. Worst of all, THE SMART has been discussing how jester86 had a different identity as a grey market seller and he was openly caught trying to buy accounts from refunders.

But Star Citizen GOOD. Star Citizen fans GOOD. Star Citizen fan reddit moderators DOUBLEPLUS GOOD.

So he tried to project his fears onto someone else - see? SEE? The grey market subreddit mod is a goon plant! That's why he runs the grey market subreddit (when all backers should be Buying More Ships from the Crobbler), and why he shut down the R/DS subreddit (which was a very painful defeat for its occupants, who suddenly found themselves unwelcome amongst the citizens they told themselves they were protecting), and why he consorted with filthy refunders. Above all that's why jester86 didn't conform to Fandred's mental image of a Good Citizen. A Good Citizen who was so blessed as to be a subreddit admin.

So he must be a secret plant. Must be a spy and a heretic. Must be called out and the wrath of the faithful brought to bear (which incidentally should get Fandred promoted up the ranks and rewarded for his faith, because it's horribly clear Fandred feels painfully isolated and really really wants friends).

There's just one eeeensy problem...

...CIG's image of the land claim spike got leaked.

Goons laughed. Citizens froze in horror. The cycle skipped to stage 2 and that meant Fandred unveiled his conspiracy theory too early. The citizenry can't run a witch-hunt now, they're too busy circling the wagons and trying to make the horrible horrible land sales go away. They're too busy fighting the whispers inside their heads to throw away a valuable fellow citizen. So nobody sided with Fandred and he got roundly ignored, left to the less-than-tender mercies of his would-be victim.

If he'd waited a week or two...waited for the cycle to move on and reach the purge or guilt-flushing stage, when the citizenry is eager to grasp at straws...jester would have been in a lot more trouble. The subreddits would have been on the hunt for apostates to purge, and the very same evidence might have been more than enough to make them get the pitchforks and stakes.

Jester got lucky that time. Ironically he owes his deliverance to CIG itself tripping over their own egos...but then, jester is a member of the inner cult and he already knows that. He's keeping his head firmly down right now and probably cursing CIG's idiocy for ruining the value of his investments.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bumbler posted:

I know it's silly to analyze imaginary game mechanics, but isn't one of the features of the Pioneer ship that it can survey land and detect areas that are rich in resources? So even though there are supposedly millions of kilometers of land available, some of it will be much more valuable than the rest, and you can be sure that the players/orgs who shelled out cash for Pioneers and land claim sticks will gobble up all the high value land as fast as possible. Then they will be rewarded with tons of credits from these resource-rich plots of land, helping to snowball the initial advantage they gained from spending money on ships and land. Almost sounds like pay-to-win!

You know nothing about real estate development.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

HAHAHAHAHA

Holy poo poo, 17:05 , WTFSaurous says "It's been a lot more stable than I thought it would be too".

Are you loving for real? Are you playing the same 3.0 PTU everyone else was?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Does anyone know where I can find data on CIG's burn rate? I remember seeing estimates based on publicly available FTE data.

I would like to build out a forecast for when CIG will run out of money using the burn rate data and the public pledge tracker.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Loxbourne posted:

I've commented in the past that every time CIG had a marketing disaster the citizens reacted in a predictable cycle. That cycle is going on around us right now. So let's get out our finest nature documentary gear, don some thick protective gloves, and take this wonderful opportunity to study firsthand the Five Stages of a CIG Marketing Fuckup.

Stage 1: CIG makes a boo-boo. Chris throws a tantrum when his own game crashes, a demo goes wrong, the wheels come off on the ramp, they've started selling land plots, whatever it is. It's deeply embarrassing and directly contradicts the narrative the Citizens wrap themselves in as a safety blanket.

Stage 2: Suddenly the rug is yanked out from under the Citizenry's delusions and they're confronted with the reality that they've sunk thousands of dollars into a disaster. They panic, and when the citizenry panics it freezes up as it tries to process (and justify away) whatever they're seeing. Star...Citizen...bad? But but but nooooooo.

So we get a period of silence from the hardcore backers, usually a day or two but sometimes as long as week, as they struggle to come to terms with their situation. Into the silence emerge, blinking, a whole variety of less-crazy citizens who are usually lost in the glare, kept cowed by the threats and sheer volume of their nastier cousins. People who'd been shouted down in the past take advantage of the shocked paralysis to actually speak about their fears for the project in public for the first time. They can be surprisingly erudite and well-thought-out.

Some of those people, hearing the words coming out of their own mouths, realise they've been had and go on to demand refunds. More, perhaps too scared of the "refunder" label, quietly disappear and write off their investment. Others hesitate, knowing the backlash will come or fearing that if they do cross the wire the goons on the other side will mock them or seek revenge for past slights.

This phase lasts until the citizens can construct a reassuring narrative in their heads that doesn't hurt so much to think about. CIG know this, which is why after a day or two we always see...

Stage 3: CIG releases a sanitised version of whatever has scared the citizens. A livestream with the cringeworthy bits cropped out. "It's not really selling land". See, it didn't happen the way you were afraid it did, it actually happened like this. This is a nice safe version you can tell yourself is the real one. A kernel for the new Citizen narrative to form around.

Then the cry goes up and we're on to Stage 4, THE PURGE. Buoyed by the new narrative and happy to embrace their worldview once again, the citizens regain confidence. They haven't forgotten the pain of that horrible period when CIG's incompetence yanked the rug out from under them, oh no, but they have enough confidence now to silence any painful introspection. And they're angry.

So it's purge time. All you filthy critics, you refunders, you people who made us think scary and painful thoughts that we want to assign to outsiders instead of CIG...you're going down hard.

The citizens go berserk. Boldly defy THE SMART and His Dark Works! Seek out the enemy within! Scour the apostates from the halls of the faithful! All their pent-up venom is unleashed on any poor souls who voiced criticism and don't get out of the way in time. Anything and everything is used as tool to vent the citizens' anger - past post history, old grudges, being on the wrong side of innocuous debates about flight physics three years ago, showing a flash of heresy, the existence of one of the other Hated Subreddits. All must either display their loyalty or be purged.

One of the sad forces fuelling the loop is that sometimes abused becomes abuser; someone who felt the wrath of the citizens in the last cycle gleefully joins in the next, in self-defence and to vent their own anger at their past treatment.

Y'see one of the dirty secrets of the citizenry is that they're not entirely terrible people. Some part of them is quite aware their behaviour is disturbing and cultish. But their greater investment in their self-image as Good Citizens drives them to suppress it. So after the initial outburst of rage comes a period of guilt and vulnerability, which a good citizen deals with by projecting it onto the enemy as hard as they can. I talked about how SC's problems as a game get projected onto Elite and LOD; this period is when the citizens deal with their problems as human beings.

They raged? No, goons rage. That dancing cat is full of rage and anger (this is literally how that running joke got started). They shilled? No, Smart shills, with his thousands of shilling shills in every shadow. They hounded enemies from the subreddit? No, goons did that. Filthy goons, driving people from their safe spaces with their trolling and hate. Chris openly laughed and talked about how easy it is to sell JPGs? Well Derek sells JPGs all the time from his JPG truck which he doesn't own because it was repossessed last week when his wife divorced him and also we don't doxx, Derek doxxes.

This phase is when the choicest and most ridiculous conspiracy theories form, to repair the citizenry's damaged self-image and explain away whatever excesses they need to excuse. Then everything returns to normal and the citizens can go about their business, refreshed and ready and ever-vigilant.

The citizenry don't always process each stage neatly. Individual citizens can be at one phase while others have moved on, or are still stuck in phase 2. Right now we've seen an unusual double-disaster (3.0 followed by land sales) and the amusing result is collisions between citizens who are at different points.

Consider that from Fandred's POV. He's already smarting from his rejection from the refunds subreddit, is largely considered a joke verging on an apostate by the citizenry, and he wants attention. At the same time like any good citizen he distrusts the grey market as something that shouldn't be needed because the citizenry should be Buying More Ships from Glorious CIG. Worst of all, THE SMART has been discussing how jester86 had a different identity as a grey market seller and he was openly caught trying to buy accounts from refunders.

But Star Citizen GOOD. Star Citizen fans GOOD. Star Citizen fan reddit moderators DOUBLEPLUS GOOD.

So he tried to project his fears onto someone else - see? SEE? The grey market subreddit mod is a goon plant! That's why he runs the grey market subreddit (when all backers should be Buying More Ships from the Crobbler), and why he shut down the R/DS subreddit (which was a very painful defeat for its occupants, who suddenly found themselves unwelcome amongst the citizens they told themselves they were protecting), and why he consorted with filthy refunders. Above all that's why jester86 didn't conform to Fandred's mental image of a Good Citizen. A Good Citizen who was so blessed as to be a subreddit admin.

So he must be a secret plant. Must be a spy and a heretic. Must be called out and the wrath of the faithful brought to bear (which incidentally should get Fandred promoted up the ranks and rewarded for his faith, because it's horribly clear Fandred feels painfully isolated and really really wants friends).

Goons laughed. Citizens froze in horror. The cycle skipped to stage 2 and that meant Fandred unveiled his conspiracy theory too early. The citizenry can't run a witch-hunt now, they're too busy circling the wagons and trying to make the horrible horrible land sales go away. They're too busy fighting the whispers inside their heads to throw away a valuable fellow citizen. So nobody sided with Fandred and he got roundly ignored, left to the less-than-tender mercies of his would-be victim.

If he'd waited a week or two...waited for the cycle to move on and reach the purge or guilt-flushing stage, when the citizenry is eager to grasp at straws...jester would have been in a lot more trouble. The subreddits would have been on the hunt for apostates to purge, and the very same evidence might have been more than enough to make them get the pitchforks and stakes.

Jester got lucky that time. Ironically he owes his deliverance to CIG itself tripping over their own egos...but then, jester is a member of the inner cult and he already knows that. He's keeping his head firmly down right now and probably cursing CIG's idiocy for ruining the value of his investments.

:five:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Loxbourne posted:

I've commented in the past that every time CIG had a marketing disaster the citizens reacted in a predictable cycle. That cycle is going on around us right now.

Stage 1: CIG makes a boo-boo.
Stage 2: Suddenly the rug is yanked
Stage 3: CIG releases a sanitised version of whatever has scared the citizens.
Stage 4, THE PURGE.
Stage 5: Project, Project, Project.

:yeah:

Star Citizen is a cult, I'm glad of it.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Lol, even the shill-iest of shills aren't buying in. :laugh:

Loxbourne posted:

[The panic cycle]

Pro-read, It almost makes me feel sorry for Fandred.

... Almost.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Loxbourne posted:

Quality post!
:five:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

yeah this is basically going to be UO 2: Griefers Bay

I approve

If any of this ever existed, I'd be all the gently caress over it. I remember stealing poo poo in UO through weird little schemes all the time, that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Toops posted:

IMO Path of Exile is the best free-to-play model I've ever seen. That game is very, very good.

This. Please consider supporting POE, the team of kiwis behind it are awesome people. They are even willing to deactivate all security measures on your account if you ask for it if you are annoyed by them. Love them!