Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

twistedmentat posted:

It was super nice to see that Discovery did this. I was talking explicitly in TNG, and this party would have everyone standing around like a fund raiser at the country club because one of their members is running for city council, standing around making stiff conversation while a string quartet plays in the background. I may complain that the writers on earlier Trek were super WASPy and had no concept of popular culture, but I'm sure the real reason is that stuff is public domain so therefor cheap.

Words can't describe how true this is. TNG was great and I loved it, but "making stiff conversation while a string quartet plays in the background" perfectly describes 75% of the stuff that happened when they weren't battling Borg or crystalline entities or whatever.

EDIT: As for the party on Discovery, I half expected to see a dude chugging Purple Drank in the background.

King Neptune posted:

Very few people remember TOS The Way to Eden very fondly

Herbert! Herbert!

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I figure this is good a place to ask this:

Is Babylon 5 any good/worth watching? For comparison purposes I have seen all Treks, new BSG, and like two seasons of Farscape.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's fun. Acting and effects are rough. First season is rough but literally every episode except one (karate competition episode) pays off later.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

swickles posted:

Is Babylon 5 any good/worth watching? For comparison purposes I have seen all Treks, new BSG, and like two seasons of Farscape.

About 40% is great, about 60% is JMS wanking how his self insert with the same initials is the best Aragorn in Space ever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

swickles posted:

If you've seen every Star Trek series then you should definitely be able to appreciate Babylon 5, it is a Good Space Opera.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tunicate posted:

About 40% is great, about 60% is JMS wanking how his self insert with the same initials is the best Aragorn in Space ever.

Don't listen to this guy. Besides Marcus is the worst character on the show

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Space Aragorn doesn't even show up until like s4, I thought...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snak posted:

Space Aragorn doesn't even show up until like s4, I thought...

Yeah, Sheridan is more like a Space Peregrine Took anyway

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Marcus is more like space Faramir

JMS on the other hand leads an alliance of men and elves and ends up with a hot elfwife

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Babylon 5 is more worth one's time than new BSG was, in hindsight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tunicate posted:

Marcus is more like space Faramir

JMS on the other hand leads an alliance of men and elves and ends up with a hot elfwife

And her best friend forever who carried her printer everywhere has to watch them have sex, it is tradition.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Babylon 5 is great, just stop after (avoiding spoilers) the Big Stuff they build up to ends somewhere in Season 4. Then it gets mostly into Scouring Of The Shire territory of wrapping up stuff thats just not as compelling.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

swickles posted:

It has its highs and lows, but its highs are pretty drat high.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see a callback to this on Orville where it turns out the peace did last because both delegates were felt so violated and disturbed by what the Union did to them their shared trauma and newfound hate for the Union made them forge a lasting alliance.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see a callback to this on Orville where it turns out the peace did last because both delegates were felt so violated and disturbed by what the Union did to them their shared trauma and newfound hate for the Union made them forge a lasting alliance.

Haha, that's a pretty clever take on it.

"So, admiral, I have good news and bad news. Good news, the peace is holding! Bad news, they've united in war against the Union."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I caught up on The Orville and I was jonseing for more so I caught up on Discovery.

The tonal shift is.... jarring.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerusalem posted:

I caught up on The Orville and I was jonseing for more so I caught up on Discovery.

The tonal shift is.... jarring.

New episode tomorrow, then I guess there's only one more left until next season :smith:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

swickles posted:

It's great, as others have said the first season is a touch rough but it really plays the long game and lots of stuff that appears shows up later.

I might suggest looking up a watch order list someplace so you can stuff the like 6 movies in the right places in the timeline

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

swickles posted:

Babylon 5 is one of the few shows I can name that does a great job of having a multi-season long story arc. Most of the serialized prestige shows from the last fifteen years didn't do it nearly as well as this campy sci-fi show from the mid 90s. It's all the more impressive when you realize they pulled it off under the constraints of 90's network television.

Part of the reason is that they actually had a plan from the very beginning concerning where the story was going to go, so when it concludes it's actually satisfying and wraps up everything properly.

And this is even taking into consideration that season 4 basically crammed in as much story as they could, since they thought they were going to get canceled. So when they didn't get canceled, season 5 ended up being very lackluster in comparison. But I can't blame the writers for that, and season 5 still has some decent story and character arcs in it.

But, you know, there's gonna be some cheesy acting and special effects. Not really campier than what you see in a lot of Trek, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure of all the TV shows that said "we know where we're going with this," Babylon 5 is literally the only one that was telling the truth.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I imagine the lead actor having a psychotic break probably put at least something of a wrench into their initial plans.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's fun. Acting and effects are rough. First season is rough but literally every episode except one (karate competition episode) pays off later.

TKO is good for it's B arc about Ivanova. Don't skip it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Kurieg posted:

I imagine the lead actor having a psychotic break probably put at least something of a wrench into their initial plans.

Surprisingly not. Supposedly JMS had plans for every single character to be written off if something happened to them, whether they got hit by a bus or just wanted more money than the studio would pay them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mllaneza posted:

TKO is good for it's B arc about Ivanova. Don't skip it.

Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Azhais posted:

Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova.

God, I just remembered how Ivanova’s dialogue started out like it was written for someone with heavy Russian accent, comrade, but Claudia Christian was just using a normal American accent. That was hella weird.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Babylon 5 is great, just stop after (avoiding spoilers) the Big Stuff they build up to ends somewhere in Season 4. Then it gets mostly into Scouring Of The Shire territory of wrapping up stuff thats just not as compelling.

trump_wrong.gif

A lesser show would've ended there. The first half of season 5 is stretched a bit, but the latter half is solid and provides needed wind-down and closure. It's a lot better than the DS9-Voyager method if you ask me.

Edit: oh, it's MisterBibs, lol.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

seaborgium posted:

Surprisingly not. Supposedly JMS had plans for every single character to be written off if something happened to them, whether they got hit by a bus or just wanted more money than the studio would pay them.
This is what I mean when I say it's impressive that Babylon 5 pulled off a complete story given the constraints of 90's network TV. JMS knew what the reality of making TV shows was back then, where your writing team was at the mercy of whatever crap was going on behind the scenes with actors, producers, the network, and so on, so he specifically crafted a story that was resilient against any meddling. I doubt anyone writing modern serialized shows has to do that sort of poo poo.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm pretty sure of all the TV shows that said "we know where we're going with this," Babylon 5 is literally the only one that was telling the truth.
I know, right? In the two decades that we've had "the golden age of television" where big budget serialized dramas are the new norm, I'm not sure if any of them really had their whole story plotted out, much less to the degree that JMS did with Babylon 5. The only ones that had a satisfying ending were the ones that managed to successfully wing it until the end. And the ones that didn't... well... the Battlestar Galactica remake is a pretty stellar example of what can go wrong when you obviously don't have a plan.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

but the latter half is solid and provides needed wind-down and closure

Eh, the closure is in Into The Fire. Everything is building up to those moments.

I get that the show wasn't expected to have another season, like someone said above, and were scrambling, but c'mon. You just finished killing Dagoth Ur, going back to Addamasartus isn't as interesting.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kibayasu posted:

JMS's original plan is rather different from where the show eventually ended up, but I think him having that master plan from the beginning was still instrumental in how well it all turned out, because instead of "oh poo poo, i have no idea where to go from here..." there's still a strong sense of where the show should go.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I could also see them just being deathly afraid of looking dated later on. Very few people remember TOS The Way to Eden very fondly.

But, yeah, cost would definitely be a major factor, especially as Paramount's approach to licensing music for Trek was basically "we will own this music forever, to reproduce in whatever format we choose," and with those conditions even Holst's The Planets wound up costing too much for Star Trek 6. I can't really fault Paramount on that one though, since they knew going in to TNG that they'd be doing home video releases - other contemporary shows have since been butchered by music licensing issues.

It doesn't feel like they're going to for timeless, as its so in your face. As I said, it reads very much like "this is what smart people like!". I don't expect Troi to chill out in her quarters listening to Unknown Pleasures and Riker comes in and says how he always preferred The Cure. Just not constantly have quarterts be part of episodes constantly.

Gynovore posted:

Words can't describe how true this is. TNG was great and I loved it, but "making stiff conversation while a string quartet plays in the background" perfectly describes 75% of the stuff that happened when they weren't battling Borg or crystalline entities or whatever.

EDIT: As for the party on Discovery, I half expected to see a dude chugging Purple Drank in the background.

Herbert! Herbert!

I assume high society in the late 80s was really stuffy, but then it being Regan Republicans I don't think i'm to wrong.

That reminds me how Discovery's crew seems to eat like they're at a Whole Foods Juice Bar, which is certainly a really LA rich person thing. I liked the Orville's mess seemed to suggest they can eat whatever they want (Bortrus literally) because its magic future tech that will give them whatever they want to eat that isn't bad for you.

Babylon 5 is great, even with its CGI stuff, which looks pretty good for the late 90s.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

swickles posted:

Anyway if you start watching, come post reactions in the B5 thread, although be aware that due to the age of the show there's untagged spoilers everywhere.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, the closure is in Into The Fire. Everything is building up to those moments.

I get that the show wasn't expected to have another season, like someone said above, and were scrambling, but c'mon. You just finished killing Dagoth Ur, going back to Addamasartus isn't as interesting.

I am playing Morrowind right now but I am still surprised how that game sticks with you in terms of lore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It probably didn't help that TNT were straight up jealous of B5's success and actively sabotaging it towards the end of it's lifespan.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

drunken officeparty posted:

Am I allowed to believe this show has nothing to do with star trek anymore than that it's a spaceship show and you can't really not be influenced by the 'original' space show we culturally identify.

To preserve my own sanity, you see

You need to start a NO trek Orville thread, it might take 2 or 3 threads for these muppets to get the hang of it though.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Kurieg posted:

It probably didn't help that TNT were straight up jealous of B5's success and actively sabotaging it towards the end of it's lifespan.

The death knell was the spaceship in Crusade getting literally hosed

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The show takes every little audio que from TNG. It's a very intentional homage in many ways.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The show takes every little audio que from TNG. It's a very intentional homage in many ways.

Not just Next Generation. A lot of the action scene music cues are just straight up James Horner.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Not just Next Generation. A lot of the action scene music cues are just straight up James Horner.

i'm fully expecting an audio riff on this at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4wAnvfM4M&t=42s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's funny how everyone compares the music to TNG when the only TNG that had music nearly this bombastic was the early seasons everyone seems to hate. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Season three still had it, or we wouldn't have gotten, "Mr. Worf, fire!"