Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2 in which you couldn't get all the warriors in one playthrough. Which sucked because some were WAAAAY better than the alternative.

I liked the VP1 method where you got all of them but in different orders. Still made replays feel different, but didn't lock you out of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Rex stays in that bitch clown costume the entire game huh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Or Crono Cross which had like 50 playable characters, with some being mutually exclusive or only obtainable at certain times.

Yeah but you had control there, it wasn't random.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now that reviews are out I can basically say my opinion which is:

If you liked Xenoblade for the mechanics you'll like Xenoblade 2. If you liked it for the plot you might not. It's far, far, far closer to a Tales of (x) game than Xenoblade 1 or X.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but you had control there, it wasn't random.

If you weren't following guide it might as well have been.

ImpAtom posted:

If you liked Xenoblade for the mechanics you'll like Xenoblade 2. If you liked it for the plot you might not. It's far, far, far closer to a Tales of (x) game than Xenoblade 1 or X.

Already sounds better than the first two games

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Shame Xenoblade 2 has turned into a loving generic predictable anime shitfest instead of the pioneer the first game was. The thing that made the original such a standout was how it broke traditional JRPG tropes (inns, saves, battles, you name it) but also offered a cast that was incredibly likable and a story that had really cool "WHAT THE gently caress" moments. The anime tropes that were in it were overshadowed by what the game got right.

I'm still holding out that XB2 has decent characters and a fun story and I can get over the other poo poo if the environments are fun to explore. It just seems Monolith has lost sight of what made the original game such a success and have fallen back to what made JRPGs stale and boring. At least the soundtrack is incredible.

e: ugh the Tales games have TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE plots. Abyss's story was so loving bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Louisgod posted:

Shame Xenoblade 2 has turned into a loving generic predictable anime shitfest instead of the pioneer the first game was. The thing that made the original such a standout was how it broke traditional JRPG tropes (inns, saves, battles, you name it) but also offered a cast that was incredibly likable and a story that had really cool "WHAT THE gently caress" moments. The anime tropes that were in it were overshadowed by what the game got right.

I'm still holding out that XB2 has decent characters and a fun story and I can get over the other poo poo if the environments are fun to explore. It just seems Monolith has lost sight of what made the original game such a success and have fallen back to what made JRPGs stale and boring. At least the soundtrack is incredible.

e: ugh the Tales games have TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE plots. Abyss's story was so loving bad.

Xenoblade 1 was anime as gently caress sorry.

Plus TOB has a great plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

xb1s plot was super boring and stale, even if you didnt like abyss's plot it at least tried some weird things

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

As I understand it, even using Rare Crystals doesn't guarantee a Rare Blade.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
oh good another goddamn slapfight about 'anime'. that always ends really well and has lots of great discussion.

More importantly, have any of the reviews confirmed the Nopon is a permanent party member? That's probably my only dealbreaker atm. Some of the implications in the earlier interviews were throwing up red flags.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is xenoblade anime deniers the video game equivalent of flat earthers

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

oh good another goddamn slapfight about 'anime'. that always ends really well and has lots of great discussion.

More importantly, have any of the reviews confirmed the Nopon is a permanent party member? That's probably my only dealbreaker atm. Some of the implications in the earlier interviews were throwing up red flags.

He is permanent, unless he gets Aeris'd or turns out to be the Real Final Boss, or whatever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I realize that reads as "He is, unless he isn't" but no one has mentioned him not being one so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/OAC5NmR.jpg

MOD NOTE: Please remember to be work safe

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 30, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anime good

see: jojo, my hero academia, one punch man, dbz

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

lmaaaaaaaaaaao

Edit for content, finally installing this thing. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna give the English tracks a chance or not yet. Probably going to play entirely in portable mode as well so hopefully the frame rate isn't TOO bad.

Apparently I had 1 penny left over in my 3DS wallet :geno:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

Is xenoblade anime deniers the video game equivalent of flat earthers

Flat Earthers at least have never personally experienced the globe.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

This, basically

Well, at least the game sounds good, or is at least a beautiful mess.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 30, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What's anime because dragon ball and Akira and poo poo is anime and those things loving rock so if xb2 is like that then coolballs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

What's anime because dragon ball and Akira and poo poo is anime and those things loving rock so if xb2 is like that then coolballs

Dragonball is just Star Wars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres also good anime:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

... Did we play the same Xenoblade? "Broke traditional JRPG tropes" is the last thing I'd say about it. It literally begins wtih the plucky over-talented young proagonist's village being destroyed by a mysterious evil force and ends with you using a lightsaber made of friendship to kill god. The battle system it used (which I like) is basically an MMO-style combat system in a single player game and it is by no means the first big JRPG to do that. (Even discounting the Literally An MMO ones like .hack.) I mean frigging FFXII exists and I like it better. I also can't think of any particularly huge surprises in Xenoblade's plot except maybe the absurd ending rush which is JRPG as gently caress.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 30, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Making video game teeth not look weird really is an underappreciated skill.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Any more detail you can give to why you feel this is the case? It's a bit disappointing to hear but on the other hand I've loved most of the Tales games I've played so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

It does make me wonder what exactly the secret sauce was that made XB1's plot work so well for me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

... Did we play the same Xenoblade? "Broke traditional JRPG tropes" is the last thing I'd say about it. It literally begins wtih the plucky over-talented young proagonist's village being destroyed by a mysterious evil force and ends with you using a lightsaber made of friendship to kill god.

It was very much like a very specific subset of the Japanese cartoon media genre but the characters were written as smart and knowledgeable that they played with those tropes well (the robot girlfriend, wizened mentor, strong tough childhood friend) and when they fulfilled a stereotype they were likeable and original about it (all those aforementioned tropes)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Any more detail you can give to why you feel this is the case? It's a bit disappointing to hear but on the other hand I've loved most of the Tales games I've played so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

It does make me wonder what exactly the secret sauce was that made XB1's plot work so well for me.

(It's because there's no plot for a third of the game)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

It was very much like a very specific subset of the Japanese cartoon media genre but the characters were written as smart and knowledgeable that they played with those tropes well (the robot girlfriend, wizened mentor, strong tough childhood friend) and when they fulfilled a stereotype they were likeable and original about it (all those aforementioned tropes)

that isnt some subversive playing with tropes well or being original, thats just the writers/localizers being decent at their jobs. there isnt some sort of insane trick to that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

that isnt some subversive playing with tropes well or being original, thats just the writers/localizers being decent at their jobs. there isnt some sort of insane trick to that.

You'd think there is I mean did you play any anime games before xb1
Of course you did I mean look at you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

You'd think there is I mean did you play any anime games before xb1
Of course you did I mean look at you
yes, the japanese did in fact make decently written games before xb1. a lot of them had way better writing than xb1, in fact!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

yes, the japanese did in fact make decently written games before xb1. a lot of them had way better writing than xb1, in fact!

But I didn't play them so they don't count

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

To be honest I'd say that it's basically got a weaker start than Xenoblade 1. It follows some kinda-similar ideas but how Rex and Pyra meet is incredibly generic and it takes a fairly long time for the plot to kick into gear. It just feels more cliche from the very start and while I think it does some things well (without getting into spoilers), it never quite hits the same feeling to me as Xenoblade at its high points. My feeling on Xenoblade 1 is that not long after the truth about the Mechon reveal it starts to feel a lot more Traditional JRPG and Xenoblade 2 kind of starts in that zone instead.

Note that I wasn't that impressed with Xenoblade's plot overall. I liked the characters and worldsetting. But I thought it had a strong opening and it drew me in much easier than Xenoblade 2 did. The character designs impacted that a lot too. Pyra is absurdly hard to take seriously.

Calaveron posted:

I don't see that at all to be honest. Most of them are certainly likable but I don't really see original. I don't think that's a critical dealbreaker mind you and I do like Xenoblade, but what it doesn't borrow from JRPGs it borrows from mecha anime.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

I disagree with this but yeah XB1 isn't exactly in a class all it's own.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's kinda hard to have a productive conversation about this with people sniping at each other over what games they like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'd say that it's basically got a weaker start than Xenoblade 1. It follows some kinda-similar ideas but how Rex and Pyra meet is incredibly generic and it takes a fairly long time for the plot to kick into gear. It just feels more cliche from the very start and while I think it does some things well (without getting into spoilers), it never quite hits the same feeling to me as Xenoblade at its high points. My feeling on Xenoblade 1 is that not long after the truth about the Mechon reveal it starts to feel a lot more Traditional JRPG and Xenoblade 2 kind of starts in that zone instead.

Note that I wasn't that impressed with Xenoblade's plot overall. I liked the characters and worldsetting. But I thought it had a strong opening and it drew me in much easier than Xenoblade 2 did. The character designs impacted that a lot too. Pyra is absurdly hard to take seriously.

I don't see that at all to be honest. Most of them are certainly likable but I don't really see original. I don't think that's a critical dealbreaker mind you and I do like Xenoblade, but what it doesn't borrow from JRPGs it borrows from mecha anime.

Thank you that does genuinely help. I think I will still like it a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

But I didn't play them so they don't count

tbh thats basically a crux of the thing. if you really loved xb1 i can get why but a lot of the 'it BROKE THE MOLD' type hype it got seems like it came from people who played chrono trigger, suikoden 2, and ff7 and then never any jrpgs until xb1

CharlestheHammer posted:

I disagree with this but yeah XB1 isn't exactly in a class all it's own.
yggdra union, valkyrie profile 1 and 2, shadow hearts 1 and 2, ff9, blaze union, fire emblem thracia 776, tales of rebirth, a bunch of hipster rpg maker games, and paper mario 2 all have sharper writing than xb1 and thats just off the top of my head. im not even saying xb1s writing and localization are bad, theyre pretty decent

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I do wonder how the exploration holds up in a gaming sphere with tons more 'open world' games and specifically the Switch having BotW and Odyssey

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mostly just get frustrated/annoyed when peoples response to playing a thing from a genre they havent played in years that they really like isn't 'wow, i wonder what cool stuff i missed out on/what cool stuff might be coming out' but a giant louisgid post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mostly just get frustrated/annoyed when peoples response to playing a thing from a genre they havent played in years that they really like isn't 'wow, i wonder what cool stuff i missed out on/what cool stuff might be coming out' but a giant louisgid post.

I feel ya. I think XB was something special, but I also think that about a bunch of other RPGs I've played recently (the Trails series and Berseria spring to mind). So to me XB is great but in the sense that it's one of many greats.