Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Luisfe posted:

Ok drat, the new Humble Monthly early unlocks are Long Dark, Quantum Break and Dawn of War 3.

Dannnng.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/

Nice, that's one I will actually get.

Edit: Not unhappy about skipping December bundle. Only game I'm interested in from it is Sexy Brutale and I have it already.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The December bundle is kind of poopy but it does have Sexy Brutale and Nex Machina

e: I should clarify I don't give a poo poo about fighting games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 1, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Quest For Glory II posted:

boot hill heroes part 2 is coming out after all, with a new name, and not the greatest looking character art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbjiwJV_x4E

but most importantly, more SNES music from Virt

I am happy to learn of this!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of QUBE has anyone played it since that Director's Cut that apparently added more plot came out a while ago? I've always been mildly curious if its worth going back to now that I've probably forgotten how to solve all of the puzzles.

If I remember correctly, the story stuff was your standard "weird stuff happens and a voice inside my head tells me to do stuff but can I trust it?" Nothing special but it's like three hours long and the puzzles are pretty decent so maybe worth revisiting.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Luisfe posted:

Ok drat, the new Humble Monthly early unlocks are Long Dark, Quantum Break and Dawn of War 3.

Dannnng.

And the addon of the previous one are Rivals of Aether, Strafe, a Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend, NEX MACHINA, Sexy Brutale, Passpartout, and Way of the Passive fist.

Holy poo poo h1z1 was a bad early unlock but the rest is pretty much incredible

God dammit, if they had headlined with Nex or Sexy Brutale instead of loving H1Z1 I would have gotten it. Who the hell thought it was a good idea?

I'll probably get this month's though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

Alpha Protocol certainly isn't overrated unless the definition of overrated changed in the last 7 years.

But yes, it's all confirmation bias. There are a handful of people who regularly talk about AP on the forums so if it seems overrated it's because you're reading posts from the same dudes. Literally nobody else talks about AP except when Obsidian announces a new game and a filler article goes up with the headline "what could have been..."

Alpha Protocol doesn't seem overrated. It's perception is really what that game is actually is. Rough unpolished gem. The gameplay, production is weak but story/characterization/dialogue is pretty good. Which seems to be true for almost every Obsidian game except maybe New Vegas but that was also a buggy mess for a long time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
AP actually has really fun combat once you figure it out, Martial Arts is especially fun, even more so when combined with shotguns.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

AP actually has really fun combat once you figure it out, Martial Arts is especially fun, especially combined with shotguns.

I already said this another post but I feel like the combat is really slow. The cooldowns of abilities are too long to play like a straight up rpg and shooting is too bad to play like a shooter. Maybe in lower difficulty you can play more aggressive but on hard if you get hit by 1-2 stray bullets you pretty much lost all your hp.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

God dammit, if they had headlined with Nex or Sexy Brutale instead of loving H1Z1 I would have gotten it. Who the hell thought it was a good idea?

I'll probably get this month's though.

That feels like how it’s been lately. Questionable header but good games afterwards.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Luisfe posted:

Dannnng.

And the addon of the previous one are Rivals of Aether, Strafe, a Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend, NEX MACHINA, Sexy Brutale, Passpartout, and Way of the Passive fist.

Mother fucker. I regret not getting it. Which is why i assume they put a poo poo game as the front runner.

I almost got strafe on sale. And i did get the long dark. But for the other games the new one is worth it. Ill gently caress aroubd in dow3 even though it got panned.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ulio posted:

I already said this another post but I feel like the combat is really slow. The cooldowns of abilities are too long to play like a straight up rpg and shooting is too bad to play like a shooter. Maybe in lower difficulty you can play more aggressive but on hard if you get hit by 1-2 stray bullets you pretty much lost all your hp.
That's why you don't play on Hard.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Luisfe posted:

Dannnng.

Daaaayum, that's a pretty solid early unlock line up... save for maybe DoW3 which I've heard nothing but bad things about.
I think I'll bite!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Deakul posted:

Daaaayum, that's a pretty solid early unlock line up... save for maybe DoW3 which I've heard nothing but bad things about.

What are some of the bad things you hear? I dislike RTS games in general because I'm bad at the gameplay, and micro/macro stuff just isn't fun, but I find WarHammer lore cool as heck, and I'm thinking of getting this bundles for WarHammers "story" .

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

sorry but i need it to help defend the cat town

whoa they made a Warriors game in rpgmaker? :popeye:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Im_Special posted:

What are some of the bad things you hear? I dislike RTS games in general because I'm bad at the gameplay, and micro/macro stuff just isn't fun, but I find WarHammer lore cool as heck, and I'm thinking of getting this bundles for WarHammers "story" .

Plays more like a MOBA, very multiplayer centric, the campaign is one giant tutorial with no real story, and only 3 races with no apparent indication of expansion at all in the near future.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This is an incredibly early unlock! I mean, none of those games are stellar, but getting all three, plus more at the beginning of the month for 12 bucks? I'm definitely getting it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Im_Special posted:

If you want a good Warhammer game seeped in lore, get Battlefleet Gothic instead or dig in to Dawn of War 2. DoW 2 does a good job with a more personal story with the space marines, but it's not my personal cup of tea. Battlefleet Gothic is the highest point a Warhammer game has reached with the strength of character.

Honestly though, if you just dig Warhammer lore, I suggest grabbing Audible and listening to some of the audiobooks. Some of them are really drat good, especially Carrion Throne and the Eisenhorn trilogy. The games don't really dig into the more interesting elements of the lore and instead just like to see dudes fight.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Long Dark is very solid IMO.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Long Dark's a good game, I haven't tried the story stuff yet, is it any good?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Dow 3 is perfectly fine. Lots of the complains are straight up bullshit and others easily explained by both the game's scale and the fact that most units are seen as expendable (with the increase in resource gain to make up for it). Stuff like the lack of a cover system for example: the reality is that it was already loving fiddly in 2 (and COH) and there was no way that the increased squad sizes of 3 would have been able to work with it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Det_no posted:

Dow 3 is perfectly fine. Lots of the complains are straight up bullshit and others easily explained by both the game's scale and the fact that most units are seen as expendable (with the increase in resource gain to make up for it). Stuff like the lack of a cover system for example: the reality is that it was already loving fiddly in 2 (and COH) and there was no way that the increased squad sizes of 3 would have been able to work with it.

The story is awful, they sped up the game's pace so it's less fun to watch, threw in way more active abilities for the e-sports crowd and the cover system they do have is loving ridiculous and bad, and if you are interested in multiplayer the hero system is a complete gamebreaker.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The story is awful, they sped up the game's pace so it's less fun to watch, threw in way more active abilities for the e-sports crowd and the cover system they do have is loving ridiculous and bad, and if you are interested in multiplayer the hero system is a complete gamebreaker.

Oh yeah, they got rid of sync kills didn't they? That's pretty much a deal breaker as it is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Det_no posted:

It's poo poo, m8.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Story is literally the same as we've seen in the other games in the series, how is it worse all of a sudden? Units have less abilities than in DoW 2, the cover system is the cover system from DoW 1 and I'm not sure how heroes ruin anything because that's just an empty statement.

The pace I could see bothering some people but the game literally plays like how 1 used to play with the heroes of 2. This is basically what I'm talking about : Huge amount of complaints are "This is worse than X" except it's always been like or was like that. People can't eve agree on what's bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Det_no posted:

Story is literally the same as we've seen in the other games in the series, how is it worse all of a sudden? Units have less abilities than in DoW 2, the cover system is the cover system from DoW 1 and I'm not sure how heroes ruin anything because that's just an empty statement.

The pace I could see bothering some people but the game literally plays like how 1 used to play with the heroes of 2. This is basically what I'm talking about : Huge amount of complaints are "This is worse than X" except it's always been like or was like that. People can't eve agree on what's bad.

2 isn't a traditional RTS though, it's a squad based tactics game. There are more abilities per unit there because you have exactly 4 units at any given time. Dawn of War 3 applies the idea of "give every unit an ability" to "let's have big armies like Dawn of War 1", and that is self explanatory with why it is bad.

The story is constantly jumping between three perspectives, and it's another boring world which has boring poo poo happening and oh whoops the eldar, space marines and orks are fighting for it. 1 didn't have a great story either, at least it played well and was focussed. Most people praise Dark Crusade, since that got rid of any bullshit plot and just let the army dudes hit eachother and everyone had a grand old time. 2 however blew it out of the park with the story of the Blood Ravens, actually expanding on them as characters instead of "AND THEN THE MIGHTY IMPERIUM SMOTE THE XENOS", it introduced us to the Bloody Magpies.

Want to know exactly how heroes ruin things? They're like respawning experimentals in Supreme Commander, but you can only ever have one per side and if you don't have one, a conventional force can't take it out because there is no need for combined arms warfare in the Dawn of War games, unlike Supreme Commanders where land experimentals could easily be bombed to smithereens.

I hope this has explained why Dawn of War 3 is a worse game and exactly why it is a worse game than the previous titles in the series. It tries to please everyone but in the end pleases... just you I guess.

Oh, and the cover system isn't the same as in Dawn of War 1. DoW 1 uses the same system as Company of Heroes, where all sorts of terrain has its own cover bonuses. DoW 3 has convenient shapes in key positions that your men can sit in for some reason? They aren't buildable defences like bunkers in Starcraft, they're like pentagons or squares or some sort of geometric shape (it's been a while) just there on the ground.

Deakul posted:

Oh yeah, they got rid of sync kills didn't they? That's pretty much a deal breaker as it is.

Yup, they got rid of the really fun kill animations that made battles fun to watch for muh esports brah. Let's not even get into the aesthetic discussion, because that's way more subjective than anything else, but I think it just looks plain as heck.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 1, 2017

Thoren
May 28, 2008
So is Quantum Break essentially unplayable unless I have 20mb/s internet? :psyduck:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Thoren posted:

So is Quantum Break essentially unplayable unless I have 20mb/s internet? :psyduck:

What's this about?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The game streams 4k video during certain portions.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

MMF Freeway posted:

The game streams 4k video during certain portions.

WTF, that is some next level DRM right there.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Re System Shock

Dyz posted:

Try playing it with the original controls.

My brother and I played it, loved it, and completed it playing the whole thing as a 2-player game, despite it being single player really. One of us did the keyboard controls and one did the mouse controls. We did the same with Tie Fighter, one on keyboard one on mouse.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Im_Special posted:

WTF, that is some next level DRM right there.

It's more of a stupid gimmick than intentional DRM. The thing is that this is a TV series with game in between, since Microsoft really wanted to drive home the "XBONE is a living room device" angle.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Det_no posted:

The cover system is not like DoW 1. For one thing, the cover system in DoW 3 isn't actually a cover system - it's a garrison system. It's also got a much worse UI than DoW 1, less dynamic units, less unit types, worse animations, and less mechanics. Not only does it not have a cover system like the post CoH games, it doesn't even have a morale system like DoW 1. DoW 3 is a bad DoW 1 clone made by a cargo cult that doesn't understand why DoW 1 worked, who's only RTS reference point is Starcraft and who made a game where every single part of it is actively hostile to the majority of their customers.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 1, 2017

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Seventh Arrow posted:

The composer of DOOM's soundtrack has some really interesting stories about how it all came about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Not Emptyquoting. If you've ever once plugged a guitar into a pedal or messed with a DAW, do watch all of this. He does some nifty things.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

corn in the bible posted:

I quoted the wrong person, leading to confusion. Now I must fall upon my sword

Okay you're wrong like 30% of the time don't leak too much blood

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

You reaaally ought to play stuff again cause you are remembering everything wrong. From how many units you have in Dow 2 and the craters in 1 to how many heroes you have in 3.

Deakul posted:

Everything is based on gibblets and psychics now. Big abilities can kill a bunch of squads so it looks pretty sweet.

DatonKallandor posted:

The cover system is not like DoW 1. For one thing, the cover system in DoW 3 isn't actually a cover system - it's a garrison system. It's also got a much worse UI than DoW 1, less dynamic units, less unit types, worse animations, and less mechanics. Not only does it not have a cover system like the post CoH games, it doesn't even have a morale system like DoW 1. DoW 3 is a bad DoW 1 clone made by a cargo cult that doesn't understand why DoW 1 worked, who's only RTS reference point is Starcraft and who made a game where every single part of it is actively hostile to the majority of their customers.

Oh boy. What's the practical difference between a crater and a shield? What about mechanics like the Space Marine's drop pods and standard? The ork's waagh? Space Marines in DoW 1 have 17 units compared to DoW's 21 (and that's without doctrines). It's really kind of embarrassing seeing all this misinformation. That's all I'm going to say about this else I'll end up quoting a billion posts telling me the sky is green or that Relic somehow changed during the last decade despite still having more or less the same staff like how certain groups tried to do and blamed it on nu-males and other stupid poo poo.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Another Humble Bundle XMAS bundle

35$ gets you...

Rust
Dungeon of the Endless
QUBE
Garry's Mod

and mystery games

This bundle is still going to be purchasable after every mystery game has been revealed. So uh. You can pay 35$ for a gaming themed advent calendar or wait until the end of December to see if it's actually a good purchase.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

TheBlandName posted:

This bundle is still going to be purchasable after every mystery game has been revealed. So uh. You can pay 35$ for a gaming themed advent calendar or wait until the end of December to see if it's actually a good purchase.

They usually run out of keys on anything good they put in like halfway through the month.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Det_no posted:

Oh boy. What's the practical difference between a crater and a shield? What about mechanics like the Space Marine's drop pods and standard? The ork's waagh? Space Marines in DoW 1 have 17 units compared to DoW's 21 (and that's without doctrines). It's really kind of embarrassing seeing all this misinformation. That's all I'm going to say about this else I'll end up quoting a billion posts telling me the sky is green or that Relic somehow changed during the last decade despite still having more or less the same staff like how certain groups tried to do and blamed it on nu-males and other stupid poo poo.

One of the big differences between a crater and a shield is that you can make more craters, meaning the battlefield can actually change as the game goes on. And the only reason Space Marines in DoW3 have more units is because it counts stuff like "Scout with sniper" and "Scout without sniper" as distinct entities since the game is almost completely lacking the on-the-fly customization that its predecessors feature. Looking at the wiki, fully half of the SM roster is made up of hero/super units.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Det_no posted:

The difference is that cover (the DoW 1 craters) is variable, a percentage damage reduction and doesn't magically block bullets and units from entering (DoW 3 "cover" literally stops tactical marines from walking inside, because they have guns in their hands, while assault marines are allowed to run inside, because they have swords in their hands. What?). DoW 3 only has "more units" because they count unit variants as separate. Things like different kinds of predators and devastators are just weapon swaps - and have been weapon swaps in previous DoW games - while in DoW 3 they're used to pad out the unit numbers. By space marine drop pods you mean the drop pods that existed in DoW 1, just in a different implementation? I'll give you the ork waagh - that's a unique mechanic. Probably because the Orks are the only thing they did well in DoW 3. They're the best part about it, by a mile (also the only faction where the weird animation and art style actually works).

But hey, keep playing DoW 3 if you like it. You do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what is it about nuclear throne that just keeps you pressing that retry button