Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
loving tell them everything about the crabs' capabilities, and to open up on them with everything they have as soon as they transit. This is a matter of survival as a species.

Also if the terrans protest that we "started a war with aliens", point out that they loving shot first while we were retreating, and we tried our best to communicate with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We need to hold the pit.

This is now a joint human system and it has to be fortified because it's on the border of a enemy species.

We can't both hold Nova sol and ranginui because we'd be splitting our forces, allowing the fartcrabs to pick which system to attack. And after that they're just one jump away from Sol.

Preferably we'd take the system the fartcrabs came from but that is highly unlikely.

Also we need to build a hell of a lot more combat ships.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The joint task force for defending All of Mankind should have a Pit Alien for every ship. Each specimen will provide a unique identifier that cannot be forged. No ship bearing a True Pit Alien can be denied fuel, maintenance supplies, shore leave, or missile reloads. Ambassadorial ships will carry a specimen on their trips to negotiate new production for our joint fleet.

When our crews wish to see who accuses those descended of Earth of being unfit. They have the right and ability to confront their accusers.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Affi posted:

We need to hold the pit.

This is now a joint human system and it has to be fortified because it's on the border of a enemy species.

We can't both hold Nova sol and ranginui because we'd be splitting our forces, allowing the fartcrabs to pick which system to attack. And after that they're just one jump away from Sol.

I think that's a good medium or longterm plan, but for the immediate future
-our ships are extremely ineffective in the nebula environment
-we still don't know the size of the fartcrab fleet, which means our jp blockade could be easily overwhelmed by a massive, technically advanced enemy that jumps on our heads

I propose: Terrans and us guard our respective JPs to the Pit with our own fleets, but set up a joint venture to keep a permanent surveying presence in the pit. One surveying vessle stays close to the mystery jumppoint to Fartcrab territory, another monitors the rest of the system.

Later, when whe have developed and built a respectable nebula fleet (and terrans did the same), we can consider properly re-entering The Pit and blockading the JP.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 2, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Affi posted:

We need to hold the pit.

Preferably we'd take the system the fartcrabs came from but that is highly unlikely.

On the other hand, we probably can hold those systems because, with a bit of care we can design missiles capable of intercepting anything that squad jumps through the point. We can't close range but we could, I think, make interceptor missiles with heavy warheads and lots of speed designed purely for blasting the poo poo out of their big ships before they can get CIWS back online.

To say nothing of minefields, both those points are far easier to fortify than the pit jump point. If we want to cut their approach angles we realistically need to push through the pit's jump point and hold the other side.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Also resume communication attempts as these ships flee. They have different weapons than the other ships.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SavageGentleman posted:

I think that's a good medium or longterm plan, but for the immediate future
-our ships are extremely ineffective in the nebula environment
-we still don't know the size of the fartcrab fleet, which means our jp blockade could be easily overwhelmed by a massive, technically advanced enemy that jumps on our heads

I propose: Terrans and us guard our respective JPs to the Pit with our own fleets, but set up a joint venture to keep a permanent surveying presence in the pit. One surveying vessle stays close to the mystery jumppoint to Fartcrab territory, another monitors the rest of the system.

Later, when whe have developed and built a respectable nebula fleet (and terrans did the same), we can consider properly re-entering The Pit and blockading the JP.

Boring and defeatist. We should counterattack as soon as the dreads arrive. It would be nice if we could get the rest of new fleet to support such an attack.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

LLSix posted:

Boring and defeatist. We should counterattack as soon as the dreads arrive. It would be nice if we could get the rest of new fleet to support such an attack.

This person speaks speaks truth.

At the worst, pull back to form up at The Pit jump point to Rang and wait for the dreads, then push towards the crabs jump point.

To abandon the system now is a waste of all the resources and time we've put into it so far.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Not Alex posted:

Also resume communication attempts as these ships flee. They have different weapons than the other ships.

This is actually a good point. If you avoid gaming it (Aurora used the same naming scheme for the ships, so it's the same polity), these could be the alien equivalent of brave Martians who broke away from fartcrab Earth.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

That's true, but if we send the message now, Terra has almost two days to bring in any reinforcements they can.

Send the Farseeker through pronto with all the information about the Crabs (and as little about our ships as possible) that we can and then have it gently caress off to a safe-ish distance to watch the fireworks.

Have Triton Fleet fall back to the Pit side of the Pit-Ranginui jump point once the crabs are out-of-system, and try to hold there until the big boys arrive, so we don't have to jump them into a 60cm Plasma Carronade Doom Fort.

Also, get in touch with UT and negotiate permission for both sides to send warships through each other's territory while the "oh poo poo aliens!" part of the Lunar Accords is in use, and once that's handled, send reinforcements via Nova Sol if that route's quicker. Seeing as they already have a colony in Ranginui, we don't lose any secrecy, even, and the First United Crab Killers probably ought to co-ordinate this sort of thing.

I agree with all of this.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Huh, thanks for the idea. :) I'm changing my ship name request from Invincible to Resume Communications.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 3, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tell them everything.

Aside from all the other reasons, we shouldn't make it too obvious that humanity is divided. The last thing we want is the terrans getting diplomatic contact with the aliens as part of some divide and conquer strategy.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
E: wrong thread

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Affi posted:

We need to hold the pit.

As others have said, this is a terrible idea. Our fleet is just not suited for fighting in the pit and in all likely hood neither is Terra's.

Disclose all non sensitive information to Terra
Jump the scout through and warn the UT fleet there to expect hostiles inbound and to shoot on sight
Do not send the combat ships to Nova Sol That's just a classic setup for a gently caress up in light of above.
Hold at Ranginui until the we know more and have an agreement with the Terrans.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Pharnakes posted:

As others have said, this is a terrible idea. Our fleet is just not suited for fighting in the pit and in all likely hood neither is Terra's.

Disclose all non sensitive information to Terra
Jump the scout through and warn the UT fleet there to expect hostiles inbound and to shoot on sight
Do not send the combat ships to Nova Sol That's just a classic setup for a gently caress up in light of above.
Hold at Ranginui until the we know more and have an agreement with the Terrans.

Er, warn them and make sure they know the aliens appear to be highly aggressive, but don't try to tell them what to do.

Also, I don't regret bringing up the word 'fart' in association with the crab aliens, but drat did that joke ever go in a direction I wasn't quite expecting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pharnakes posted:

A few people keep repeating this every single update and its just not true. The Martian fleet is wildly better suited for fighting in a nebula than a standard Aurora fleet. Even our missile ships carry beam weapons that can contribute to the fight.

We're not 100% optimized for fighting in a nebula, because unless you live in a nebula those kinds of designs are deeply stupid. So yes, the Shivans have a small home-field advantage, but that's always going to be true. If we weren't in a nebula we'd have to deal with PDCs with giant long-range missiles instead. Remember how badly the IC PDC missile bases roughed us up?

All things considered, the Martian Navy is lucky to be fighting in a nebula.

So far we've inflicted very disproportionate losses. Especially given the tech disparity. The Shivans have lost about 54 thousand tons of warships.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Pharnakes posted:

Doesn't sound as terrible an idea as ceding a jump point we're going to have to take back at brutal cost. Our fleet's not ideal for fighting in nebulas, sure, but it's pretty solid - we have plenty of beams and armour, if not quite as much of either as our technologically-superior enemies (what a surprise), and we've got some pretty heavy reinforcements that'll reach the Ranginui-Pit jump point in short order.

Pharnakes posted:

Not particularly, we've got a scoutship there to say "hey don't shoot that you idiots" and Terran intel probably recognises our warships. That said, there's not much reason to send our warships to Nova Sol, since they'd get there long after the battle is over, and we've got our own territory to defend.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh good, what a happy 20-page surprise to roll back on into... Still, Mars will endure.

Warn the Terrans, full details, and make dead sure to not give up our foothold in the Pit, by reinforcing it asap. I might not be able to sum it up as succinctly in game terms, having never played Aurora, but I'm a courageous captain and I'll be damned if I concede a hard, but holdable with help ground now, in exchange for a bloody ugly JP assault down the line. By all means get the damaged ships out immediately, but we'll lose less in the next Pit battle if we don't have to kick in the front door again(proverbially).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
gently caress the Pit. Don’t abandon it but just do our level best to keep a toehold there. Call on Terra to honor our treaty with them and prepare for some combined fleet ops, with massive buildup and overwhelming firepower.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Serpentis posted:

Oh good, what a happy 20-page surprise to roll back on into... Still, Mars will endure.

Warn the Terrans, full details, and make dead sure to not give up our foothold in the Pit, by reinforcing it asap. I might not be able to sum it up as succinctly in game terms, having never played Aurora, but I'm a courageous captain and I'll be damned if I concede a hard, but holdable with help ground now, in exchange for a bloody ugly JP assault down the line. By all means get the damaged ships out immediately, but we'll lose less in the next Pit battle if we don't have to kick in the front door again(proverbially).

The problem is that all of the ships there are damaged in some fashion.

We really can't hold on without the dreads. It's time to loving go.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Set fire to The Pit

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

So pull back a bit from the JP until the dreads arrive? No reason to abandon the system. The dreads are three days away. That's not much. It takes even the faster-than-us fartcrab ships a couple days to cross the system.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
How do our incoming dreads compare, combatwise, with the Rakshasha class vessels present?

I'm all for Terra and Mars jointly invading the pit after we've secured the safety of our systems but I think we need to retreat at least long enough to repair all the significant damage to our fleet. Unless UT wins against the incoming ships in a big way, I think we need to abandon the system until we've recovered.

We can't secure the system militarily and we can't really even keep a scout hiding in the nebula as the pit aliens are both more stealthy and have better sensors.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 3, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Not Alex posted:

So pull back a bit from the JP until the dreads arrive? No reason to abandon the system. The dreads are three days away. That's not much. It takes even the faster-than-us fartcrab ships a couple days to cross the system.

I’d say pull back to the Rangi JP and camp. Join with the dreads and Triton fleet, and send our heavily damaged ships (which is the majority of the original force) home to get fixed up. If the crabs leave us alone for a bit, we can come back replenished and possibly with the new engine tech we’re expecting from the Rangi artifacts.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Well. gently caress. The IC liked their missile boxes. These guys like rail shotguns and beams.

Farseeker, go warn Terra that they will soon be attacked. RIGHT THE gently caress NOW. TELL THEM EVERYTHING OH poo poo

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dr. Snark posted:

This, the Pollux's are really our only deadly ships in the Nebula and two are dead the other two are damaged + boarders, the rest of the fleet is plonking away with 15cm lasers and Gauss guns against an enemy that can kite both.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I'm still a bit confused by the idea of holding the Pit right now, without any knowledge about the extent of the enemy territory, their ressources and overall fleet size.

As a non-Aurora player, I assumed that a hostile species with such a technological lead on us must also have more developed production technologies, a bigger territory and - very likely - also more ships.

So what if we park our dreads with the remaining cruisers at the point just to have ten of their dreads + their crusiers jump through at once? We would not really stand a chance and most likely loose the whole fleet - assuming they keep trickling in inmore or less manageable numbers like they did for the last days is not really realistic.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Another point I want to make,

1. If we warn the Terran's far in advance and they bring the forces to win the fight against the Fart Krabs in Nova Sol they will have a much easier time looting the wrecks than us and getting the alien tech...

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 3, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

1. If we warn the Terran's far in advance and they bring the forces to win the fight against the Fart Krabs in Nova Sol they will have a much easier time looting the wrecks than us and getting the alien tech...

If they make the kills, loving let them. I'd be concerned if they went and took our loot in the Pit, though

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Jack2142 posted:

Are you being serious? These fuckers are going to die if we don't warn them as soon as possible and we are capable of stopping it.

Worry about salvage LATER.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Inglonias posted:

Are you being serious? These fuckers are going to die if we don't warn them as soon as possible and we are capable of stopping it.

Worry about salvage LATER.

Counterpoint: Salvage good, Terra bad.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Cathode Raymond posted:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

While true it smells a lot like one of the goons favorite pastimes: self-ownage through outsmarting oneself. Losing the second blocking fleet preventing all this from spilling in human space would be, in scientific terms, "Pretty Bad".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SIGSEGV posted:

While true it smells a lot like one of the goons favorite pastimes: self-ownage through outsmarting oneself. Losing the second blocking fleet preventing all this from spilling in human space would be, in scientific terms, "Pretty Bad".

Terra is being given a change to prove itself. Tell them everything.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Terra is being given a change to prove itself. Tell them everything.

You know, this will be the first time (at least that we know of) that Terra faces ship to ship combat in this LP, huh?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rawkking posted:

You know, this will be the first time (at least that we know of) that Terra faces ship to ship combat in this LP, huh?

Well, assuming they haven't gone and made some friends in their part of the jump map. Assuming there are actually any non-interconnected parts...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SavageGentleman posted:

I'm still a bit confused by the idea of holding the Pit right now, without any knowledge about the extent of the enemy territory, their ressources and overall fleet size.

As a non-Aurora player, I assumed that a hostile species with such a technological lead on us must also have more developed production technologies, a bigger territory and - very likely - also more ships.

So what if we park our dreads with the remaining cruisers at the point just to have ten of their dreads + their crusiers jump through at once? We would not really stand a chance and most likely loose the whole fleet - assuming they keep trickling in inmore or less manageable numbers like they did for the last days is not really realistic.

If we're at our exit point, I'd presume that if an overwhelming force came through from their entrance point, we can just jump back?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

sebmojo posted:

If we're at our exit point, I'd presume that if an overwhelming force came through from their entrance point, we can just jump back?

On the other hand... we really want to fight them in Rag, because missiles. Also UT can't ninja the salvage very easily.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

There's no reason not to hang out at the pit-rag JP. We can flee if an overwhelming foe arrives, but we don't have to worry whether the jump is clear when ships enter the system if we maintain a presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I think having to fight outside the nebula using missiles and shields is a bad idea because they might have crazy missiles and shields.