Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

In the future everyone will just hack each others ships or trick sensors into flying into suns or irrecoverable flight paths, ain’t no one gonna waste the materials on kinetic solutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It will be boring and lame and only poors will die

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I hope that crobets takes every last penny from his whales and his reddit fan base of cultists and leaves them broke and lonely as he fucks off, riding his limited edition Porsche into the sunset.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

But imagine in a fight one of the thrusters get damaged and you will lose maneuverability until you fix it!

Star Citizen: MAXIMUM FIDELITY

Unverifiable Anecdote Time: At one point in development, CIG was taking the thrust levels and X/Y angles of every maneuvering nipple on every ship, and sending that data over the network to every game client, and then letting each game client calculate how those values would result in movement for each ship. When I asked one of their CIG's QA guys "why not just send data on where the ship is, which way it's facing, and where is gonna be in the next tenth of a second?", he admitted that they switched to that method after realizing that Chris's preferred MAXIMUM FIDELITY method was just gobbling bandwidth.

Chris is obsessed with constantly increasing fidelity and immersion until the FPS and network performance craters, but then he never bothers dialing it back down to some sort of vaguely reasonable level. He thinks it's gonna be fine once they get to the "optimization" phase, which is the magical four week period right before launch where the same constipated game engine that can't squeeze out a stable 10 FPS will somehow, magically, poo poo out 60 FPS at max settings. :gary:

CIG should ditch their entire progress up until now, and let their staff slap together Star Citizen as an Unreal Engine mod. Should only take 6 months (or even sooner if they Archer other people's existing UE4 assets). Or just buy some bulk licenses for Infinity: Battlescape, redirect the SC launcher to that EXE, and then flee with the last of the money before the spergs notice that the fun, stable space game they're playing doesn't include a loving noodle vending machine this time.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sabreseven posted:

Whats to stop them "buying" a metric gently caress ton of their own product and then instantly refunding themselves via randomly generated accounts?

As dumb as the backers are, I just can't see them constantly throwing $30 million a year at this, it would be, just too dumb. There has to be a point where people go "Hmm, I've spent a few grand on this game and I still don't seem to actually own it, maybe I should stop and rethink things".

Or am I just being even more dumberer (lol) in assuming they have any impulse control over their spending? These are apparently by and large, grown up men and women with some sort of sentient thought process and capable of self reflection I hope. :shrug:

You know how like 1/10,000 people who play Candy Crush pump hundreds/thousands of dollars into it? That is the origin of the term “whale.” Star Citizen fans are 100% made up of that 1/10,000 demographic. They are stupid, ignorant, impulsive, and addicted. Try to talk some sense into them and they’ll do loving backflips to rationalize their stupidity. Insult their addiction and they will immediately attack you by parroting their myriad of pre-written brutal takedowns.

As many have said before, the only thing of value CIG has ever produced is their user data.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

I don't even care if this is a fakepost, I love it. Gaming cathedral :laffo:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

no_recall posted:

There is no simulation

Nice FUD goon
CIG is simulating game development.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Enchanted Hat posted:

I don't even care if this is a fakepost, I love it. Gaming cathedral :laffo:

The ships are the flying buttresses.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

a cyberpunk goose posted:

The expanse is bad, like star citizen.

and yet I keep reading them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Expanse is good, and the show is phenomenal. Drummer is mauh waifu

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Golli posted:

If LOTR wasn't out yet, and you had spent $60-$30,000 on it three years ago to be a king and you felt like every fantasy game that comes out before LOTR releases is taking away a potential serf in your dynasty, then after a while you might get miffed at the thought of gathering all the bear asses yourself.

Because people can only play one game in a setting. It's a new rule. Choose wisely.

Posting from back to the future.
Sage words indeed.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Also it has a nugget of truth to it, now it may turn out to be a poop nugget but sometimes that's the hand you're dealt

May I ask what games of chance you play, where there is a chance of being dealt a poop nugget?
Only asking so I may avoid said games.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Nice FUD goon
CIG is simulating game development.

Star Citizen : A Game Development Simulation

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

no_recall posted:

Looks like :pgabz: is going to win.

If they manage to get funding for another couple of years, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubCItLvNhE

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

quote:

It is not a wise idea to keep them indoors, as they will chew on everything they find. Your carpet and furniture won’t be safe with a capybara nearby.

Can't be any worse than kids :lol:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PaxJustica/status/937609674056011777

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Taintrunner posted:

Best voice in the show.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nelson_n_/status/937608108276412416

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

Heyyy, I know I've seen some people talking about the funding comparisons for Elite and Star Citizen, in terms of what Elite cost plus their studio size versus SC. Does anyone have that info with sources handy?

IIRC David Braben said that on top of the £1.5 million ($2.1 US), that invested £9 million ($12 million US) of their own capital (some raised by floating the company on the stock market).

That was for the initial release. Further expansions have been funded by sales of the game and also the cosmetic stuff on the store.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Desmarius/status/937586152923688960

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Mu77ley posted:

IIRC David Braben said that on top of the £1.5 million ($2.1 US), that invested £9 million ($12 million US) of their own capital (some raised by floating the company on the stock market).

That was for the initial release. Further expansions have been funded by sales of the game and also the cosmetic stuff on the store.

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous-crowdfunding-covered-less-than-one-quarter-of-its-total-cost-creator-says/

PCGAMER posted:

Elite: Dangerous drew in nearly £1.6 million—that's roughly $2.6 million—on Kickstarter, and that's a lot of money by just about any measure. Yet it was only a slice of the total development budget, and not even a particular large slice at that.

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8 million," Frontier Developments founder David Braben told Eurogamer . Since then, "It's grown by quite a lot," he added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous

Wikipedia posted:

The game had sold around 1.7 million units by the end of May 2016.[95] By the end of December 2016 over 2.1 million paid franchise units were sold of Elite: Dangerous.[96] As of August 2017, the game has sold over 2.75 million copies.[97]

In comparison, Star Citizen, (rounding the fund tracker up) has sold 125,000 copies during this anniversary sale.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

So with Ironman + Hulkbuster coming up in Infinity War. CR is going to ride that wave isn't he?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm drinking tequila and coke right now and boy howdy gosh dangit i wish I had remembered limes and different mixers, AMA Except Why Don't You Have Limes.

AMAEWDYHL

Brave Bull (tequila and kahlua on ice) or go home

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Tokamak posted:

and yet I keep reading them.

It’s ok to like bad things, I do it too, at least we don’t shovel $10k annually into them. I just watched Valerian on iTunes and I loving loved it

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

"The people who pledge to this game would die to any slightly difficult task" is perfectly satisfying to me

Does anyone know if WTFosaurus has ever managed to get past the first goomba on level 1-1 in the first Super Mario Bros?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

a cyberpunk goose posted:

It’s ok to like bad things, I do it too, at least we don’t shovel $10k annually into them. I just watched Valerian on iTunes and I loving loved it

lol just lol if you're not scratchbuilding your own rocinante in your backyard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tokamak posted:

There was a pretty big campaign by the theorycrafters to shame people into voting for an entry level profession ship. It makes sense to get the small, necessary ship made first. They also know that the game is still years away from handling the carrier, and that Chris is going to make it anyway because he can't say no to money.

So logically and rationally, you shouldn't be shocked :goonsay:

I'd agree with you, but CIG have proven time and again that size has nothing to do with their timeline really. In fact, I'd argue that the ships with the least utility get done first, so probably they won't see their dumb little salvage ship (or whatever it was) until after the heat death of the universe anyway.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

I'd agree with you, but CIG have proven time and again that size has nothing to do with their timeline really. In fact, I'd argue that the ships with the least utility get done first, so probably they won't see their dumb little salvage ship (or whatever it was) until after the heat death of the universe anyway.

Is that before or after the BMM

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

There was a vote on chariots?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the good the bad the ugly and the fidelitous

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Giant wall of quotes

That's a quality meltdown

Toops posted:

This is a concept ship, imo.

Makes me think of Space Quest for some reason.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Rugganovich posted:

Brave Bull (tequila and kahlua on ice) or go home

Tomato juice, a dash of hot sauce, and tequila= Bloody Stool

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Super Foul Egg posted:

Did anyone already call that top picture being a Caldari dropsuit from Dust 514 with some dumb poo poo pasted on top of it? If not I'm calling it as a genuine Archer and will be putting it up for auction tomorrow.

Wow, that is some blatant archering :eyepop:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Required reading for all Shitizens

Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds

Good read, thanks for that.
I still think you're wrong though.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/hcvertigo/status/937644764714766336

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/206554353?t=03h02m10s

AP fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 4, 2017

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman takes a pretty decent stab at what interstellar war looks like from an individual soldier's perspective, with the implications of relativistic time dilation.

The thing is, space is so big that even if you invent FTL travel, the amount of time it takes to go anywhere outside the immediate neighborhood is long enough that by the time you engage in battle, the people you were fighting for are dead of old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Golli posted:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman takes a pretty decent stab at what interstellar war looks like from an individual soldier's perspective, with the implications of relativistic time dilation.

The thing is, space is so big that even if you invent FTL travel, the amount of time it takes to go anywhere outside the immediate neighborhood is long enough that by the time you engage in battle, the people you were fighting for are dead of old age.

The Forever War is great, and also probably the worst possible book to base your spacemans videogame off of, since all 'naval' combat is run by computer lol