Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Listening to Saturday's observer like...I really do not agree with much of what Dave says about Randy Orton staying on top when he's literally one of those "boss's choice" boys for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Good Listener posted:

Listening to Saturday's observer like...I really do not agree with much of what Dave says about Randy Orton staying on top when he's literally one of those "boss's choice" boys for years.

But he's a Vince guy who actually drew money. Beyond his hot run in late 07 through early 08, he did some big business in the lead up to WrestleMania 25, and that show itself was a big success, it almost did a million buys without a major celebrity attraction.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

This Is Your Life loving sucked and I have no clue why people still romanticize it

This is without context of the greater goings-on of Mankind and the Rock at the time but I watched it and i thought everything that wasn't directly related to Rock and Mankind's inherent charisma was loving unbelievably lame.

SPEAKING OF THIS IS YOUR LIFE, all of this Worst Feud of the Year talk going by without a mention of Alexa Bliss and Bayley is surprising. :v:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

MassRafTer posted:

But he's a Vince guy who actually drew money. Beyond his hot run in late 07 through early 08, he did some big business in the lead up to WrestleMania 25, and that show itself was a big success, it almost did a million buys without a major celebrity attraction.

I can see that but it might be like Dave said in it later that even if I see facts, I just don't think I'll ever feel him as one. It's probably a good idea I am not a voter :shrug:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Good Listener posted:

I can see that but it might be like Dave said in it later that even if I see facts, I just don't think I'll ever feel him as one. It's probably a good idea I am not a voter :shrug:

Well the voters don't really see it either.

This is one of the reasons I kind of laugh at the people who bemoan all the influence Dave has over the voters. He couldn't keep Sting out despite writing so much that went counter to Sting's case, hasn't been able to get Edge in or Randy even close, and his huge work on Tolos didn't get him in either. The guy he rails on the most the last few years is Ultimo Guerrero who also is not in (which is a crime.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The thing that makes me a Randy skeptic is that his ratio of "Great Matches" to "Big Matches" loving stinks. I can't think of anyone in modern WWE apart from Cena who's likely had more chances than Randy Orton to have a great match- but unlike Cena, the resume of all-time four-plus-star Randy Orton matches just isn't there.

Like, seriously, Roman Reigns, in the last three years, has put together a resume of really good matches that beats Orton's. When was the last Randy Orton feud as fun, and producing as many fun matches as Roman/Braun?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm not a big fan of Randy but ever since he came back last year, his utilization has been loving awful. They sent him out to get concussed by Brock. In every match with Wyatt there was stupid bullshit that made a good match basically impossible and i don't think you can blame either guy for how much that feud wound up sucking. I legitimately feel he did the best he could dragging basic, passable matches out of Jinder. The Rusev feud was one big misfire from the first match.

Through all of this, there was no singles feud with Ambrose, AJ, Nakamura, KO, Zayn, guys who he could've done some genuinely great stuff with, it's all been relegated to one-offs on TV.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that when they just cut the bullshit and had Orton wrestle Nakamura in a regular match, it was loving awesome. The roster is as good as it's ever been but instead of just letting their big top guy go against all these indie stars they've brought in and letting them do the rest, Randy's been walking around with a series of anchors around his neck for the past year and a half.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anybody gonna do an awards thread

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

anybody gonna do an awards thread

I was planning to tomorrow.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

I was planning to tomorrow.

Cheers :)

rovert posted:

A loving great clip by the king of the beefers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjEWaHQgwmw

I always enjoy Bret dunking on HHH :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 4, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

VJeff posted:

SPEAKING OF THIS IS YOUR LIFE, all of this Worst Feud of the Year talk going by without a mention of Alexa Bliss and Bayley is surprising. :v:

It's definitely up there, especially if you consider heat-killing as criteria for Worst Feud. Bayley never recovered from that and I doubt she ever will. Even Alexa seems to have lost momentum from the whole thing, none of her feuds since then have been close to hot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Cheers :)

I always enjoy Bret dunking on HHH :allears:

Bret sounds really fuckin punchy tho.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Good Listener posted:

His obsession with drawing during that particular era as the defining feature or Orton to be a HoF just elicits question marks from me. When I think of WWF or WCW Hall of Famers the standard more than drawing is memories. Lets take Ted DiBiase who was already in the HoF in 1996 - maybe people only partly watched wrestling but everyone beyond remembered The Million Dollar Man, legendary manager and self-promoter and laugh. Bryan on an utterly unrelated topic years ago when talking about Randy Savage talked about how before Savage died when people would find out he was a wrestler they would ask him "you remember the Macho Man?" because he was more than a draw, he was an iconic entity. It's by this standard why i'm more forgiving of Sting too because Sting is, ironically, the icon.

Orton... no one is going to be "you guys remember the Randy Orton?" When you look back at the ruthless aggression/PG era Orton was always in the main events but no one is like "oh man that Orton". He stands waaaaaaaay behind John Cena, and even Batista and no one even talks about Batista as a HoF. Edge even is remembered more with his Rated R run, him being with Vicky Guerrero.

But it all comes back to house show draws, ratings and workrate for Dave on Orton and everyone else looking at Dave saying "you're wrong".

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lid posted:

It's by this standard why i'm more forgiving of Sting too because Sting is, ironically, the icon.

Brandon Lee was the icon. Sting was just a dude who dressed up like him.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lid posted:

His obsession with drawing during that particular era as the defining feature or Orton to be a HoF just elicits question marks from me. When I think of WWF or WCW Hall of Famers the standard more than drawing is memories. Lets take Ted DiBiase who was already in the HoF in 1996 - maybe people only partly watched wrestling but everyone beyond remembered The Million Dollar Man, legendary manager and self-promoter and laugh. Bryan on an utterly unrelated topic years ago when talking about Randy Savage talked about how before Savage died when people would find out he was a wrestler they would ask him "you remember the Macho Man?" because he was more than a draw, he was an iconic entity. It's by this standard why i'm more forgiving of Sting too because Sting is, ironically, the icon.

Orton... no one is going to be "you guys remember the Randy Orton?" When you look back at the ruthless aggression/PG era Orton was always in the main events but no one is like "oh man that Orton". He stands waaaaaaaay behind John Cena, and even Batista and no one even talks about Batista as a HoF. Edge even is remembered more with his Rated R run, him being with Vicky Guerrero.

But it all comes back to house show draws, ratings and workrate for Dave on Orton and everyone else looking at Dave saying "you're wrong".

Well if you're trying to do a "legit" HoF you should probably stick to a non subjective metric

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shut up lid

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If you care about drawing start screaming about Caristico only getting 25%. The Mexico logjam isn't bad enough to gently caress over the biggest star on the ballot and Ultimo Guerrero is not close enough to falling off to justify a bump to 50%.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well if you're trying to do a "legit" HoF you should probably stick to a non subjective metric

Workrate is pretty subjective though. And ratings usually only look at the guy that's on top and not the hourly breakdowns. Drawing power is easier because you can look at house show numbers to see who actually draws crowds but major attendance draws are way harder since shows tend to be way more stacked now.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
It's a bonus round of Sidewalk Slam! Apparently Survivor Series is in the editing stage, so here's a snack-sized version for NXT Takeover: Wargames.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Sasha represented herself very well on Steve Austin's podcast. Didn't do her usual of coming across as egotistical, bursting into tears, didn't bury creative etc. Seems to have matured and is comfortable with her position in the company now - sometimes it is your turn in the main women's storyline & sometimes it is isn't. I was impressed.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Pisscast?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

keevo posted:

Pisscast?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMej__yTmE&t=3s

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I renewed WON over the Cyber Monday deal, but (via Podcast Addict) I can't pull any episodes from the main feed earlier than Nov 14th, or July 30th for the B&V feed. I don't recall this having been an issue before. Anybody know what's up?

I could access them via the site itself, but that's pretty inconvenient.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
RE: this week's B&V retro show:

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/938297361410985985

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/938313776612495360

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghostpilot posted:

I renewed WON over the Cyber Monday deal, but (via Podcast Addict) I can't pull any episodes from the main feed earlier than Nov 14th, or July 30th for the B&V feed. I don't recall this having been an issue before. Anybody know what's up?

I could access them via the site itself, but that's pretty inconvenient.

Make sure you're subscribed to each feed, not the free one. The links are on the main page under How To Listen To Podcasts.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Won’t be long until summer comes, now that the boys are here again

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

That ref's got Big Johnny levels of not fighting back :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3cy7U9MqE&t=540s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You can skip to the Japan talk but the latest Big Audio Nightmare is really good.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/LilianGarcia/status/938616206474412033

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

You can skip to the Japan talk but the latest Big Audio Nightmare is really good.

For all the times I get frustrated at Sempervive, it's like he is a different person on Big Audio Nightmare and he's so much more interesting to listen to. Their little tangent in the first 20 or so minutes just about the state of wrestling in general was really interesting.

Also Adam had zero knowledge that Jericho had blocked Sempervive on twitter :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

For all the times I get frustrated at Sempervive, it's like he is a different person on Big Audio Nightmare and he's so much more interesting to listen to. Their little tangent in the first 20 or so minutes just about the state of wrestling in general was really interesting.

Also Adam had zero knowledge that Jericho had blocked Sempervive on twitter :allears:

Yeah, on second thought the whole thing is worth listening to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

well, now my ghoulish curiosity is stoked.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anderson and Gallows are on Steve Austin's podcast and it's a Hoot. Nothing ground breaking other than the continuing theory that Vince doesn't know that Gallows was Festus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan's flustered,"WESTERN CANADA!?!" response to Dave re: Jinder Mahal on the latest WOR was incredible.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Anderson and Gallows are on Steve Austin's podcast and it's a Hoot. Nothing ground breaking other than the continuing theory that Vince doesn't know that Gallows was Festus.

Oh poo poo it's out? Awesome, I was really looking forward to this one.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do they do the Austin voice

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan's flustered,"WESTERN CANADA!?!" response to Dave re: Jinder Mahal on the latest WOR was incredible.

That was great. Also the responses to what their first live title matches were.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
wrong thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jericho on WOR is fantastic, he and Dave swapping their sides of the Mickey Rourke story is absolutely hilarious.

Meltzer: Now I realize that if I'd gone, Malenko and Finlay would have jumped me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The podcast has found a new home after being hosted by FloSlam:

https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/938890888901726208

Additionally, Ethan Page was trained by Michael Elgin. Haven't listened yet but he seems to cover the situation this week even in vague terms.